00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jaymerk just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Mathematics Club

72,619 Views | 513 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Mathematics Club 2012-03-17 02:24:10

http://mathreview.universalclass.com/secure/406/7550574/down load/images/Assignment7.jpg

How do i do dis problems?

I want you to explain to me CLEARLY.
I got a test coming up this is serious business.

I'm stuck on finding integers of fractions and decimals.

2. The product of two consecutive integers is 17 less that the square of the larger integer. Find the integers.

that would mean it is 17+17=38 because your adding the two larger one's because it say's it's 17 less than the square of the larger integer?

right?
This is probably wrong. Can you guys help me I don't get the decimals,fractions and integers in algebra.
It's been years since I practiced it and most of it was probably pre-algebra.
I have a test coming up an i needs your helps!

Myspace

Website Coming SoonPurevolume

<BR>Perfection Confection Sugar, you can use it on babies.

BBS Signature

Response to Mathematics Club 2012-03-17 03:31:29

At 34 minutes ago, Xyphon202 wrote:
At 31 minutes ago, MisterWonderful wrote: http://mathreview.universalclass.com/secure/406/7550574/down load/images/Assignment7.jpg

How do i do dis problems?

I want you to explain to me CLEARLY.
I got a test coming up this is serious business.

I'm stuck on finding integers of fractions and decimals.

2. The product of two consecutive integers is 17 less that the square of the larger integer. Find the integers.

that would mean it is 17+17=38 because your adding the two larger one's because it say's it's 17 less than the square of the larger integer?

right?
This is probably wrong. Can you guys help me I don't get the decimals,fractions and integers in algebra.
It's been years since I practiced it and most of it was probably pre-algebra.
I have a test coming up an i needs your helps!
Here, here. I'll solve it algebraically for you. Let x b e the bigger integer and y be the smaller one.
Here you know what? I'll do it algebraically, just for you. We know since they are consecutive that y is equal to x-1.

x^2 - 17 = x*y
x^2 - 17 = x*(x-1)
x^2 - 17 = x^2-x
-17 = -x
x = 17
y = x-1
y = 16

http://mathreview.universalclass.com/secure/406/7550574/down load/images/Assignment7.jpg what about these problems?

Myspace

BBS Signature

Response to Mathematics Club 2012-03-17 04:33:36

Divide the numerator by the denominator.

d8
d-6

d8 âEU" -6 Divide the d's, remembering to subtract the exponents

d14

I keep forgetting to divide these!
I keep on multiplying 8 by 6 by force of habit!
by 8 divided by 6 only goes into 8 once?
I thought if you can't put something into something then you take 10 or 1 over it?

Maybe this is too different for me I don't know what's happening with me.
I just can't understand how I end up with 14!!
I'm gonna faiiiilll omfg

Myspace

BBS Signature

Response to Mathematics Club 2012-03-17 05:17:31

At 6 minutes ago, MisterWonderful wrote: http://mathreview.universalclass.com/secure/406/7550574/down load/images/Assignment7.jpg what about these problems?

Well for questions 1, 2 ,6, and 7 you're gonna need to start off finding least common denominators (LCD). I'll show you how to do them because some of them require different approaches while still applying the same principle of finding and using the LCD to find the answer.

1. As I mentioned earlier, you should first find the least (lowest) common denominator between 5/6 and 5/8. Looking at the denominators 6 and 8, we can find that the least common denominator is 24 because that's the closest number that the two denominators can be multiplied into using whole numbers. Now make the numerators so that they represent the same proportions as the original fractions. So the two fractions we're working with should now be 20/24 (equal to 5/6) and 15/24 (equal to 5/8), respectively.
From there on you just do some addition (20 + 15) and your sum with the LCD included should be 35/24 which cannot be simplified further so that's your answer.

3. You just multiply the numbers horizontal to eachother. So on your assignment you can see that this means you do 4x15 (numerator) and 5x16 (denominator), the result is 60/80. At this point, nothing left to do but simplify that fraction and you'll have your answer.

4. You basically multiply, but you flip one of the fractions, THEN multiply across. So when you start off, you have (8/15) / (3/1). After the flip, you'll have (8/15)x(1/3). You can flip either fraction for this question, it doesn't matter. I generally like to flip the second one since it's more intuitive to me. Whichever you prefer.

6. This one's a bit tricky. To get the LCD for this one, you'll need to multiply the left side with other side's denominator as such: (t+3) / (t+3). This is a legit move since that fraction we're multiplying with equals 1 and thus doesn't affect the actual value of that side. Do the same for the other side, where you use the right side's denominator, so you multiply the left side with (t+2) / (t+2). After you get the LCD for both sides, you can totally disregard the denominators on both sides for the rest of the problem so that you end up with just the numerators, (3t^2 + 9t) + (5t^2 + 10t). All ya gotta do at this point is add up the values with matching exponents together since there's only one variable, t.
**And just to potentially save you some time, you don't need to solve for t for this problem. No really, don't even bother trying that. That's like the worst possible thing you could try to do. So don't try it. Kthx.

7. Start off using the same procedure #1 but remember keep the x's behind the numerator - they won't interfere with how the LCD is calculated in any way for this question. Don't forget to actually solve for x after doing the addition, which will require some multiplication and division (or just multiply by the reciprocal of the resulting fraction, without the x this time) on both sides. Woo, algebra.

I'd show you how to tackle #8, but I misread it and worked out an irrelevant problem resulting in a technically correct but incorrectly expressed answer. I'm too tired to redo it, so bleh. If it's really killing you PM me or something.

Hopefully this was at least somewhat useful and made some sense. If not... well, egwaerithnpkwlrh5thkw45y....rgteha...

Happily ETS'd.

BBS Signature

Response to Mathematics Club 2012-03-17 05:50:35

Let's hope somebody else didn't solve them just before I post this...

For the first one you have to find a number under the division line that both 6 and 8 can be divided by. For example, 24 or 48. I took 24 in the example:

5/6 + 5/8
5/6=20/24
5/8=15/24
5/6 + 5/8 = 15/24 + 20/24 = 35/24 = 1+11/24

The second one is the same:

7/12 - -9/20
7/12=35/60
-9/20=-27/60
35/60 - -27/60=35/60+27/60=62/60=1+1/30

For the third one you have to mutiply both numbers above the line and both numbers under the line:

4/5*15/16=(4*15)/(5*16)=60/80=3/4

You will need to make a number divisible by three above the division line in order to divide it afterwards for the fourth one

(8/15)/3=(24/45)/3=8/45

The next one is one of the easiest, you just need to make a division of the large numbers:

(2+4/5)*(4+1/2) = 14/5 + 9/2 = 28/10 + 45/10 = 73/10 =7 + 3/10

The next one is not as difficult as it looks. You need to make the numbers under the division line the same again:

(3t/(t+2)) + (5t/(t+3))
= (3t)(t+3)/((t+2)(t+3)) + (5t)(t+2)/((t+3)(t+2))
Now you can add up both sides:
= ((3t)(t+3) + (5t)(t+2)) / (t+2)(t+3)
= (3t^2 + 9t + 5t^2 + 10t) / (t+2)(t+3)
= (8t^2 +19t) / (t+2)(t+3)
I don't think you can work it out more. If you can, then sorry.

Here's how you do the next one:

(3/7)x - (1/3)x = 4
(9/21)x - (7/21)x = 4
(2/21)x = 4
x=4/(2/21) = Well I don't have a calculator here, but this will be about 42. You can easily put it in your calculator and write down the answer.

The last one:
20 foot pole = 9 foot shadow
x foot sign = 4 + 1/4 foot shadow
Compared you get:
20/9 = x / (4+1/4)
20*(4+1/4) = 9x
85=9x
x= 85/9 = 9 + 4/9

At 41 minutes ago, MisterWonderful wrote: Divide the numerator by the denominator.

d8
d-6

d8 âEU" -6 Divide the d's, remembering to subtract the exponents

d14

I keep forgetting to divide these!
I keep on multiplying 8 by 6 by force of habit!
by 8 divided by 6 only goes into 8 once?
I thought if you can't put something into something then you take 10 or 1 over it?

Maybe this is too different for me I don't know what's happening with me.
I just can't understand how I end up with 14!!
I'm gonna faiiiilll omfg

The Review Request club, the Blammers List (update every 15th), and the Protectors List (Update every 1st). My sig has it all.

Sig by Emperor-Bubba

BBS Signature

Response to Mathematics Club 2012-03-17 06:46:07

the questions below are quite similar to that in the advanced level pure maths exam. you may want to work through the problems as a practice for the exam. it should take you approxiamtely 45 minutes to go through the problems. they are not very hard. basic knowledge on differentiation and coordinate geometry is tested here. of course, some prior knowledge from previous math courses is assumed.

1. Let f(x)=(x-1)^3/(x+1)^2, where x=/=-1.
(a) Find fâEUTM(x) and fâEUTMâEUTM(x). (2 marks)
(b) Solve the following inequalities:
(i) fâEUTM(x)<0, fâEUTM(x)=0, fâEUTM(x)>0.
(ii) fâEUTMâEUTM(x)<0, fâEUTMâEUTM(x)=0, fâEUTMâEUTM(x)>0.3 (3 marks)
(c) Find all the asymptote(s) of the graph y=f(x). (3 marks)
(d) Sketch the graph y=f(x). (2 marks)
Let g(x)=f(|x|).
(e) Write down the equation(s) of asymptote(s) of y=g(x). Is g(x) differentiable at all points? Explain your answer. (3 marks)
(f) Sketch the graph y=g(x). (2 marks)

2. Let C denote the parabola y=4ax^2, (where a>0), and CâEUTM denote the parabola y=4ax^2+c. Suppose that any tangent drawn from CâEUTM intersects C at two distinct points whose x-coordinates differ by s.
(a) Show that c=as^2. (5 marks)
Let T1(t_1, 4a(t_1)^2), T2(t_2, 4a(t_2)^2), T3(t_3, 4a(t_3)^2) be three distinct points on C, where t_1 >0, t_2, t_3 <0, and O be the origin.
(b) Suppose O, T1, T2, T3 are concyclic.
(i) Write down the slopes of OT3, OT1, T2T3, T2T1.
(ii) Deduce that t_3=-(1+8(a^2)(t_2)^2+8a^2(t_1)(t_2))/(8a^2(2t_1+t_2)). (6 marks)
(c) It is given that P1(3, 20), P2(-4, 34) are on CâEUTM.
Find two distinct points on CâEUTM, P3, P4, other than P1, P2, such that P1, P2, P3, P4 are concyclic. (4 marks)

these qproblems are original.

Latest TCs

I mainly focus on WPac and NATL basin.

Response to Mathematics Club 2012-03-17 06:59:16

copy and paste from word document does not work.

1. let f(x)=(x-1)^3/(x+1)^2, where x=/=-1.
(a) find f'(x) and f''(x). (2 marks)
(b) solve the following inequalities:
(i) f'(x)<0, f'(x)=0, f'(x)>0
(ii)f''(x)<0, f''(x)=0, f''(x)>0. (3 marks).
(c) find all the asymptote(s) of y=f(x). (3 marks)
(d) sketch the graph y=f(x). (2 marks)

let g(x)=f(|x|).
(e) write down the equation(s) of the asymptote(s) of y=g(x). is g(x) differentiable at all x? explain your answer. (3 marks)
(f) sketch the graph y=g(x). ( 2 marks)

2. let C denote the parabola y=4ax^2, C' denote the parabola y=4ax^2+c.
suppose any tangent drawn from C' intersects C at two points whose x-coordinates differ by s.

(a) show that c=as^2. (5 marks)

let T1(t_1, 4a(t_1)^2), T2(t_2, 4a(t_2)^2), T3(t_3, 4a(t_3)^2) be three distinct points on C, where t_1>0, t_2, t_3<0, and O be the origin. suppose O, T1, T2, T3 are concyclic.

(b) (i) write down the slopes of OT1, OT3, T2T3, T2T1.
(ii) deduce that t_3=-(1+8(a^2)(t_2)^2+8(a^2)(t_1)(t_2))/(8(a^2)(2t_1+t_2)) (6 marks)

(c) it is given that P1(3, 20), P2(-4, 34) are on C'.
find two distinct points on C' P3, P4, such that P1, P2, P3, P4 are concyclic. (4 marks)

Latest TCs

Response to Mathematics Club 2012-03-19 23:47:17

mathreview.universalclass.com/secure/406/7550574/download/im ages/Assignment8.jpg

http://mathreview.universalclass.com/secure/406/7550574/down load/images/Assignment9.jpg

http://mathreview.universalclass.com/secure/406/7550574/down load/images/Assignment11.jpg

Can someone explain these problems?

I don't get any of them.

Myspace

BBS Signature

Response to Mathematics Club 2012-04-03 14:50:27

2012 AL pure maths.

http://www.mediafire.com/?iw8rgfdzbzjrgyc
http://www.mediafire.com/?du575e41cpqt5tn

i looked at the questions very quickly and i guess you will probably need to get 75-80% to achieve the top grade (95 percentile), 55% to get C and 30% to pass.

paper 1 was more conceptual while the computational part in paper 2 section A was tedious. section B of paper 2 was very easy.

Latest TCs

Response to Mathematics Club 2012-04-27 23:32:20

Find the roots of these polynomials by using the quadratic formula:
2 3x + x - 4
2 x - 5x + 9
2 2x + 6x + 5
2 4x + 2x + 2
2 -3x + 5x -8
2 -5x + 3x - 3
2 x - 4x + 2
2 9x - 7x - 9
2 2x + 3x + 2
2 x + x +1

Rational Root Theorem
The Rational Root Theorem states that:
If a polynomial has rational roots, then they will be of the form:
a
b
where a is a factor of the constant term of the polynomial and b is a
factor of the coefficient of the highest degree term of the polynomial.
A few things to note:
1) This only applies to rational roots. The polynomial may also have
irrational roots.
2) The âEUoeifâEU at the beginning is important. This theorem only gives us a list of
potential candidates for the rational roots. It sort of narrows down the
playing field for us.
3) Once we have our candidates, if we check them all and none turn out to
be actual roots, then we know the polynomial only has irrational roots.
Suppose we wanted to find the rational roots of:
f (x) = x4 + 2x2 - 9x + 5
This polynomial doesnâEUTMt appear to factor and finding itâEUTMs roots could otherwise
take a while. But with the rational root theorem, we find that if it has a rational
root, then the numerator must be a factor of 5 and the denominator must be a
factor of the coefficient of the highest degree term (in this case,
4 x : the
coefficient is 1).
So, our âEUoecandidatesâEU for rational roots are:
5 5 1 1
, , ,
1 1 1 1
- -
Now, we check to see if any of these values actually are roots:
f (-5) = 725
f (5) = 635
f (1) = -1
f (-1) =17
Since, a value is only a root if f (x) = 0, we see that the equation only
has irrational roots.
Go through these questions and make a list of potential roots. Then, see which (if
any) are actual roots. DonâEUTMt worry about the irrational roots for now.
3 2 f (x) = x + 4x - 9
3 2 f (x) = x - x + 6x - 6
5 3 2 f (x) = 3x + 2x - 2x - 5
4 2 f (x) = x - 5x + 6
2 f (x) = x - 2
3 2 f (x) = 4x - x -12x + 3
3 2 f (x) = 2x -17x + 27x - 9
2 f (x) = 45x - 4x -1
4 3 2 f (x) = x - 6x +11x - 6x

Then I need help on matrix addition & subtraction too.

math.about.com/library/q18.pdf http://math.about.com/library/q13.pdf

I just started to remember what 3x1+(2+5) was as well as 3x + -2y is.

Now I'm stuck on these, I'm pretty sure I'll need it for my GED practice test coming up which costs me 10 dollars so i will have to study up good so i don't have to wait a few months before wasting another 10.
The real test is going to cost me 60 dollars.

Myspace

BBS Signature

Response to Mathematics Club 2012-04-28 01:42:05

i am not sure how i should respond to this but i will elaborate more on the rational root theorem that has been mentioned.

for a given polynomial (a_n)x^n+(a_(n-1))x_(n-1)+...+(a_0) of degree n, where all the coefficents are integers, in order to find potential candidates for the roots of the polynomial, you should first consider the factorzation of the leading coefficient (a_n) and the constant term (a_0).

for instance, given p(x)=4x^3-4x^2-x+1, all the possible factors of 4 are A={1, -1, 2, -2, 4, -4} and that of 1 are B={1, -1}

next divide every element in B by A to form a set of possible roots of p(x)=0. i.e.{1/1, -1/1, 1/2, -1/2, 1/4, -1/4}

you can check which of the six numbers are roots of p(x)=0. in this case, one can easily verify 1, 1/2, and -1/2 are indeed the three roots of p(x)=0.

note that the list of possible roots obtained by division may not be exhasive (i.e. in some cases, the some of the roots may be irrational and you have to factorize the polynomial to get all the roots)

for instance, given p(x)=x^3-x^2-2x+2

all the possible factors of 1 are A={1, -1}, and that of 2 are B={1, -1, 2, -2}
by the same procedure illustated above, the set of possible roots of p(x)=0 is {1, -1, 2, -2}

one can check that x=1 is a solution to p(x)=0. by factor theorem, (x-1) is a factor of p(x). using long division,
p(x)=(x-1)(x^2-2)

and thus the roots of p(x)=0 are x=1, sqrt(2), -sqrt(2).

when using the theorem, one should keep in mind that any polynomial of degree n must have exactly n roots (real and conplex).

matrix addition and subtraction is very easy. all you have to do is to add or subtract the elements at the same position in each matrix.

for matrix multiplication, if you wish to compute AB, where AB makes sense, perhaps it is helpful to think to the muliplication procedure as mulitplying the column vectors in B by A, i.e. AB=[A(b_1) A(b_2) ... A(b_n)],
B= [b_1 b_2 ... b_n]

maybe there is a more convenient way to help you remember how to do the muliplication.

Latest TCs

Response to Mathematics Club 2012-04-29 00:58:38

At 4/28/12 01:42 AM, i-am-ghey wrote: i am not sure how i should respond to this but i will elaborate more on the rational root theorem that has been mentioned.

for a given polynomial (a_n)x^n+(a_(n-1))x_(n-1)+...+(a_0) of degree n, where all the coefficents are integers, in order to find potential candidates for the roots of the polynomial, you should first consider the factorzation of the leading coefficient (a_n) and the constant term (a_0).

for instance, given p(x)=4x^3-4x^2-x+1, all the possible factors of 4 are A={1, -1, 2, -2, 4, -4} and that of 1 are B={1, -1}

next divide every element in B by A to form a set of possible roots of p(x)=0. i.e.{1/1, -1/1, 1/2, -1/2, 1/4, -1/4

What exactly did you divide? Your not describing it very lcear for me.
I never did this before. whats with the p? and i.e. means example right?

you can check which of the six numbers are roots of p(x)=0. in this case, one can easily verify 1, 1/2, and -1/2 are indeed the three roots of p(x)=0.

note that the list of possible roots obtained by division may not be exhasive (i.e. in some cases, the some of the roots may be irrational and you have to factorize the polynomial to get all the roots)

for instance, given p(x)=x^3-x^2-2x+2

all the possible factors of 1 are A={1, -1}, and that of 2 are B={1, -1, 2, -2}
by the same procedure illustated above, the set of possible roots of p(x)=0 is {1, -1, 2, -2}

one can check that x=1 is a solution to p(x)=0. by factor theorem, (x-1) is a factor of p(x). using long division,
p(x)=(x-1)(x^2-2)

if x=1 then doesn't that mean it would be p(x)=1-1(1^2-2)??

and thus the roots of p(x)=0 are x=1, sqrt(2), -sqrt(2).

when using the theorem, one should keep in mind that any polynomial of degree n must have exactly n roots (real and conplex).

matrix addition and subtraction is very easy. all you have to do is to add or subtract the elements at the same position in each matrix.

I don't understand what a matrix is. How is it easy? You didn't give an example of it did you?

for matrix multiplication, if you wish to compute AB, where AB makes sense, perhaps it is helpful to think to the muliplication procedure as mulitplying the column vectors in B by A, i.e. AB=[A(b_1) A(b_2) ... A(b_n)],
B= [b_1 b_2 ... b_n]

I don't understand where your going with this. where are the numbers you multiply?

Myspace

BBS Signature

Response to Mathematics Club 2012-04-29 02:09:42

At 4/29/12 12:58 AM, nakedxbabe wrote:

next divide every element in B by A to form a set of possible roots of p(x)=0. i.e.{1/1, -1/1, 1/2, -1/2, 1/4, -1/4
What exactly did you divide? Your not describing it very lcear for me.

you form a set of possible solutions by dividing each element in set B by each element in set A.

to make it more explicit, consider the first element in B (which is 1) and divide the number by all the numbers in A respectively, so you obtain 1/1, 1/(-1), 1/2, 1/(-2), 1/4, 1/(-4). and you do the same thing with the second element in B.

now, you have the set of real numbers {1, -1, 1/2, -1/2, 1/4, -1/4}, which are possible solutions to the given polynomial equation. then you substitute each number into p(x) and see which of them are roots of p(x)=0.

since every polynomial of degree n has exactly n roots, if you fail to get n distinct numbers from this approach, then you
should use long division to find the remaning roots.

I don't understand what a matrix is. How is it easy? You didn't give an example of it did you?

a matrix is a rectangular array of numbers. for example a 2 by 2 matrix has the form
a b
c d

a 3 by 2 matrix has the form
a b
c d
e f

in general, a m by n matrix has m rows of numbers and n columns of numbers.

if you wish to add two matrices together, you first look at the entries at the same position in each matrix:
for instance, consider the following two matrices:

1 0
0 1

1 2
3 4

adding them together, we have:

(1+1) (0+2)
(0+3) (1+4)

which equals to

2 2
3 5

subtraction is similar.

you can also multiply any matrix by a number.

consider the matrix A=
0 1
2 3

if you wish to compute aA, then you multiply each entries by a, getting

0 a
2a 3a

using the above rules, one can compute aA+bB+cC+... for any A, B, C... and a, b, c...

forget about multiplying matrices together at this point because it is extremely inconvenient for me to explain the steps involved.

Latest TCs

Response to Mathematics Club 2012-04-29 03:44:39

At 4/29/12 02:09 AM, i-am-ghey wrote:
if you wish to add two matrices together, you first look at the entries at the same position in each matrix:

note that you can only add matrices of the same size. it does not make any sense to add a 2 by 1 matrix and 3 by 2 matrix together.

just in case, matrix subtraction works the same as matrix addition.

referring to the previous example, if you wish to subtract the following matrices
1 0
0 1 and

1 2
3 4

you subtract corresponing numbers in each matrix, that is

(1-1) (0-2)
(0-3) (1-4)

which gives

0 -2
-3 -3.

note that you get another matrix of the same size if you mutpy it by a number. (if you multiply a 2 by 2 matrix by a, you still get a 2 by 2 matrix.)

recall multiplication has a higher precedence. if you compute the general expression aA+bB+cC..., where A, B, C...etc al have the same size, and a, b, c are numbers, you need to first find aA, bB, cC,... and add the resulting matrices.

analogiously, to find aA-bB-cC-... first find aA, bB, cC and then subtract.

this is really the best that simple matrix operation can be explained.

Latest TCs

Response to Mathematics Club 2012-05-12 20:40:53

How to fill out an order form?

I know you add the cash sale price,P.P.S& I only if they want next day or two day shipping.
And the admin fee depends on the payment method then you add all those and do something with the sales tax and then you get the order number and then the total deposit and then the remaining balance due if they had a payment plan.
When I add it together I have trouble putting what numbers in what spot,imagine it says 256 rather then 2$ an 56 cents

I also have trouble adding the subtotal and sales tax.
on my calculator I get the wrong numbers each time, i dont put decimals one time then put it in another,which is why I got confused.

I'm adding huge amounts of numbers like 1,000 dollars plus 569 then add that with 452 and then add in the free item and then you do something with the 5.23 sales tax added or multiplied to it.

Myspace

BBS Signature

Response to Mathematics Club 2012-05-31 08:30:17

I'm stuck on this complex numbers question. It's from a past paper so I desperately need help to make sure I know how to do it if something like it comes out in my exam. I've written it down in Paint because it has a tonne of fractions, subscripts, etc...

http://i45.tinypic.com/21nf4ua.png

Thanks a lot to anyone who helps. Also the teacher hasn't taught us the exponential form of complex numbers yet so please don't use that to work this out.

Mathematics Club

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Mathematics Club 2012-05-31 11:53:36

At 5/31/12 08:30 AM, Step wrote: I'm stuck on this complex numbers question. It's from a past paper so I desperately need help to make sure I know how to do it if something like it comes out in my exam. I've written it down in Paint because it has a tonne of fractions, subscripts, etc...

http://i45.tinypic.com/21nf4ua.png

Thanks a lot to anyone who helps. Also the teacher hasn't taught us the exponential form of complex numbers yet so please don't use that to work this out.

Never mind. Figured it out. I can't believe it didn't cross my mind at first that I needed to switch z1 into polar form.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Mathematics Club 2012-06-01 00:29:41

At 5/31/12 11:53 AM, Step wrote:
At 5/31/12 08:30 AM, Step wrote:
Never mind. Figured it out. I can't believe it didn't cross my mind at first that I needed to switch z1 into polar form

for your information, it is much more convenient to work with complex numbers if they are expressed in the form:
z=re^(i(pheta)), where pheta is the argument, r>0. the definition can be justified using taylor's expansion.

if you want to study mathematics at the university level, you should be comfortable with this.

also, try to attach some geometrical meaning to complex numbers. one can prove a number of theorems related to geometry using complex numbers only!

Latest TCs

Response to Mathematics Club 2012-06-02 03:45:14

Fuuuu-. These past paper complex numbers questions are tough. I need to show that arg(z1.z2) = arg(z1) + arg(z2).

My fail attempt: http://i48.tinypic.com/rvijyb.jpg

I'll be very grateful if someone can help out.

At 6/1/12 12:29 AM, i-am-ghey wrote: for your information, it is much more convenient to work with complex numbers if they are expressed in the form:
z=re^(i(pheta)), where pheta is the argument, r>0. the definition can be justified using taylor's expansion.

if you want to study mathematics at the university level, you should be comfortable with this.

That's the exponent form right? The teacher probably won't be happy with me using it since he didn't teach it to us yet - he'll teach it to us next year, most probably.

Mathematics Club

BBS Signature

Response to Mathematics Club 2012-06-04 11:10:29

At 6/2/12 03:45 AM, Step wrote:
That's the exponent form right? The teacher probably won't be happy with me using it since he didn't teach it to us yet - he'll teach it to us next year, most probably.

oops. sorry for the late response. i was on a vacation during the weekend and i did not have internet access.

you should express both z_1 and z_2 in polar form. then the result should be obvious. (unless you have to prove the rules for multpilcation of complex numbers. in this case, expand (r_1)(cos(a)+isin(a))(r_2)(cos(b)+isin(b)), then use some trig. formula to show it is equal to (r_1)(r_2)(cos(a+b)+isin(a+b))).

Latest TCs

Response to Mathematics Club 2012-10-21 13:10:42

Could anyone inform me about complex numbers? I searched wikipedia, but there's almost nothing there...

-Got to keep on risin'...

-Check out FlashFrame

-Check out my YouTube channel and my blog

BBS Signature

Response to Mathematics Club 2012-10-21 14:22:04

At 10/21/12 01:10 PM, MrMojoRisin5 wrote: Could anyone inform me about complex numbers? I searched wikipedia, but there's almost nothing there...

there are a lot of things in that page related to complex numbers. did you mean you don't understand any of those formulas?

complex numbers are (field) extension to ordinary real numbers. in the past, it is meaningless to talk about the roots of the polynomial equation x^2+1=0 if one restricts himself to real numbers only. naively, if one defines the complex number i to be the square root of -1 (actually, this is not quite accurate, but it gives you a mental picture), then we can write down the expression of roots of all polynomial equations. in this case, the roots of x^2+1=0 are i and -i respectively.

every complex number can be written as z=x+iy, (x, y are real numbers). the real part of z is defined to be x while the imaginary part is y.

addition rule: u=a+ib, v=c+id, then u+v=(a+c)+i(b+d)
multiplication: uv=(ac-bd)+i(ad+bc) (use associative property and defintion of i to check this)
the complex conjugate of z=x+iy is x-iy, sometimes denoted by z*. observe: zz*=z*z=x^2+y^2, which must be a real number.

and hence, division: multiply both numerator and denomiator by c-id to find u/v=(a+ib)/(c+id)

the 'length' or modulus of z is denoted by |z| which is sqrt(zz*), as expected.

the studies of complex numbers (complex analysis, especially its integration and representation) is useful in virtually all disciplines, including the study of riemann zeta funtion, propagators and amplitudes in quantum field theory, electrical engineering, a variety of mathematical analysis and so on...

Latest TCs

Response to Mathematics Club 2012-10-21 22:52:57

At 10/21/12 02:22 PM, i-am-ghey wrote: addition rule: u=a+ib, v=c+id, then u+v=(a+c)+i(b+d)
multiplication: uv=(ac-bd)+i(ad+bc) (use associative property and defintion of i to check this)
the complex conjugate of z=x+iy is x-iy, sometimes denoted by z*. observe: zz*=z*z=x^2+y^2, which must be a real number.

^Memorize that if you ever want to be in (or are currently in) college level algebra or calculus.

Anyway, I'm new to this thread. I figured I would stop by and say hello. I'm currently in precalculus in college, so I can help out if anyone has questions of anything below that level. I came into college 2 years early and from a high-school that is very behind in the mathematics department, so I may be around a bit later (probably next semester) to discuss (not ask for answers to questions) about things I have never seen before.

We are currently going over trigonometry and on Friday we went over graphs and amplitudes and whatnot of the 6 basic trig functions and I have a question. I understand that as the coefficient of the functions sin and cos go up, the amplitude increases and the graph stretches along the y-axis, but we only really went in-depth as to why the sin and cosine are graphed as they are and we haven't yet touched csc, sec, tan, or cot. I understand that the range of 2sin(x) is [-2,2], but why is the range of 1/2sin(x) (-inf,-1/2]U[1/2,inf) and not (-inf,-2]U[2,inf)? Why is it that the range of 2/sin(x) is (-inf,-2]U[2,inf)? It's times like these that I wish my calculator had csc, sec, and cot buttons.

SteamID: Fetus

BBS Signature

Response to Mathematics Club 2012-10-26 02:46:39

Thank you very much! Yeah, I didn't understand most of the wikipedia formulas, but this helped me a lot :) Thanks for helping me learn more about Mathematics.

-Got to keep on risin'...

-Check out FlashFrame

-Check out my YouTube channel and my blog

BBS Signature

Response to Mathematics Club 2012-10-29 14:37:48

Question. If a compact three-dimensional manifold M3
has the property that every
simple closed curve within the manifold can be deformed continuously to a point,
does it follow that M3
is homeomorphic to the sphere S3?
(S3 and M3 are S and M to the power of 3.)

Been working on this one for a long time now XD.

Hello.

Response to Mathematics Club 2012-10-30 03:00:07

At 10/29/12 02:37 PM, SyobolicalEvil wrote: Question. If a compact three-dimensional manifold M3
has the property that every
simple closed curve within the manifold can be deformed continuously to a point,

fail.

and that was pretty unfunny.

Latest TCs

Response to Mathematics Club 2012-10-30 12:08:43

i'll say im strongest at math here

Response to Mathematics Club 2012-10-30 16:48:48

At 10/30/12 12:08 PM, Blitzkreig261 wrote: i'll say im strongest at math here

I doubt that my friend, due to your lack of ability to spell.

Hello.

Response to Mathematics Club 2012-10-31 12:12:53

At 10/31/12 09:47 AM, Amaranthus wrote:
and since when is math related to spelling?
You fucktard

not saying it is necessarily true, but from what i observe, a lot of people who are good at math (and logical reasoning in general) have better language skills, and usually they can speak more than one language fluently. math ability is a good indicator of one's intellectual power.

(i think that math is related to language in some sense. you memorize some proofs and techniques in math, and then practise by making use of those skills. in language, you need to remember some vocabulary first and then train your language skills by using those phrases.)

insulting someone in discussion boards (especially outside general) is not a good idea.

Latest TCs

Response to Mathematics Club 2012-11-01 08:15:47

At 10/31/12 09:47 AM, Amaranthus wrote:
At 10/30/12 04:48 PM, SyobolicalEvil wrote:
At 10/30/12 12:08 PM, Blitzkreig261 wrote: i'll say im strongest at math here
I doubt that my friend, due to your lack of ability to spell.
and since when is math related to spelling?
You fucktard

Because when your good at spelling, it predominantly shows intellect, and thus, if your good at English, it shows your logical reasoning is good, and therefore, your probably decent at math.

Hello.