00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

joaomfigueiredo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Someone in Japan Stole my Music

34,554 Views | 194 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Someone in Japan Stole my Music 2010-02-17 03:58:43

I guess that is a good thing haha. Well when I lived in American it was amazing how rich you can be for a minor accident.

BBS Signature

Response to Someone in Japan Stole my Music 2010-02-17 08:10:31

At 2/16/10 07:15 PM, G0J wrote: Professionalism is not just a mannerism. It's actually a wonderful, effective, and mature way to deal with people. You guys should try it sometime!

Now that you've shown us how smart you are and how stupid and immature are we... do you have a practical proposal ? did you suggest a solution or just throwing stones to us for pointing out that the music was used without permission ?

Is a bad thing to say "music was used without permission" ?
Is it immature to point it out ? Is it offensive ?

Before you criticize other people's actions is maybe more constructive to do something else and (maybe) later use yourself as an example.
So, here's a "wonderful, effective, and mature" proposal: Do something about it and tell us what you succeeded.

Response to Someone in Japan Stole my Music 2010-02-17 11:44:37

Sorry for my bad attidude Sorohon. I should have explained better why i said that. (I guess i was being lazy).

The reason i said to give up is simple. The guy lives in Japan and in that country they have probly, i think diffrint laws.

But since he is making money from his game and using Kgz's music. In your illustration Kgz being raped. It becomes ofcourse an issue. But the question remains does KGZ has the money to hire a lawyer to inforce a CC-lisenced song. Wich ive heard is hard to inforce and as i read in Wikipedia the CC-lisence is enforced in some countries. Even if he hired a lawyer and won the case he would probley get like 8 bucks and wasted alot of money by going into courts.

Im just saying...

BUT!!! If there is a way! Like comprimise with the creators since they probly can speak Inglish and im pretty sure of it! Then where getting somewhere.

My suggestion try contacting the Creators of the game. And i mean TRY!! Surf the freaking internet its loaded with usefull info if you search in the right places ;)

Response to Someone in Japan Stole my Music 2010-02-17 11:54:21

Well, not a bad idea to contact the author of the game.

But...tt...tt...
I may be wrong and get angry way too easy (my wife say so) and judge sometime people too harsh.
If the guy had "steal" from me, I would say "f@c% him" and life goes on. I'm 34 and I make money from several activities, no biggie, music is here for free anyway.
But the game creator seen that KgZ is a 17 years old. That means he have much less possibilities to defend his rights, so, "let's steal from the kiddo, he's helpless".

If that's the start in the business for KgZ, how is that supposed to encourage him to get better ?
Now because he made good catchy music he got robbed. what this teach him ?
Well, a logical conclusion would be "don't upload good tracks anymore" and that's how a community can lose a good musician. Do we want this ?
I just hope that KgZ's logic don't work this way :))

Response to Someone in Japan Stole my Music 2010-02-17 14:26:40

At 2/17/10 11:54 AM, sorohanro wrote: I just hope that KgZ's logic don't work this way :))

Well i hope so to!
Well im 21 years old (becoming 22 this year) and earn money here and there too. And if it would happend to me i would honestly not know what to do :(
But atleast i would try to find info on him. And is proven that the internet can be very usefull in that. One proof is that someone found the credits sooo. How hard would it be to find the email adres of the creator or the company who produces the game.

Response to Someone in Japan Stole my Music 2010-02-17 16:01:10

Well most of the videos have been removed...

Response to Someone in Japan Stole my Music 2010-02-17 16:31:08

At 2/17/10 04:01 PM, DrClay wrote: Well most of the videos have been removed...

that really means 2 out of 3 LOL :))
but yeah, set as "private"

Response to Someone in Japan Stole my Music 2010-02-17 19:15:38

At 2/17/10 11:54 AM, sorohanro wrote: If that's the start in the business for KgZ, how is that supposed to encourage him to get better ?
Now because he made good catchy music he got robbed. what this teach him ?
Well, a logical conclusion would be "don't upload good tracks anymore" and that's how a community can lose a good musician. Do we want this ?
I just hope that KgZ's logic don't work this way :))

Fuck no, I'm still going to upload my tracks.

If anything, it means my music is good enough to get stolen and used in a video game sold in Japan. I'll take that as a compliment.

www.macjams.com/artist/kgz (Download links)

Response to Someone in Japan Stole my Music 2010-02-17 19:21:15

Fuck no, I'm still going to upload my tracks.

If anything, it means my music is good enough to get stolen and used in a video game sold in Japan. I'll take that as a compliment.

Well of course! Its just one guy who walked up to the game director and said "Hey, here are those track you wanted me to compose for the game."

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.

Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature

Response to Someone in Japan Stole my Music 2010-02-17 23:08:29

At 2/17/10 10:42 PM, GoreBastard wrote: You should go over to Japan and stick your dick in this guys mouth.

He'd take that as a compliment.

Response to Someone in Japan Stole my Music 2010-02-18 01:10:28

thats pretty dangerous stuff man, I don't think japanese people are used to moderately sized dicks.

Response to Someone in Japan Stole my Music 2010-02-18 02:02:25

At 2/18/10 01:10 AM, KgZ wrote: thats pretty dangerous stuff man, I don't think japanese people are used to moderately sized dicks.

Bring a pair of your gf's dirty panties.

Response to Someone in Japan Stole my Music 2010-02-18 08:56:31

At 2/18/10 02:02 AM, nathanallenpinard wrote:
At 2/18/10 01:10 AM, KgZ wrote: thats pretty dangerous stuff man, I don't think japanese people are used to moderately sized dicks.
Bring a pair of your gf's dirty panties.

Get his post address, I'll send my socks, that's worst than anything you can imagine.

Response to Someone in Japan Stole my Music 2010-02-18 13:07:07

Lol, you guys think his game is really commercial? It was supposed to be released for nothing (750 yen? More like cost of DVD-disc itself) on doujin festival, where all games are mostly freeware (you can buy it, but devs don't give a shit and bitch around about copyright if you torrent it, p2p it or obtain it somehow else, without actually buying it).

So, strictly speaking, game is free, and buying it (how much copies can one man make? 500? Nah) is like donation to the author. He already gave you a credit. So what else you need?
Anyway, without any constructive dialog due language barrier you simply acted like mating baboon, scared this guy out, so he denied the first fucking touhou doujin 3d game that wasn't a shit! What a dishonor for ya guys.

Response to Someone in Japan Stole my Music 2010-02-18 13:19:25

It's just common courtesy. If he asked and told me in some what shape or form I would have had no problem, even though he was selling the game.

Response to Someone in Japan Stole my Music 2010-02-18 13:25:45

He already gave your a credit. Since he can't really personally ask you (can you understand any moonrunes he type? Nope, i think) this is the best solution in that case.
Anyway, why didn't you tried to contact him with some kinda translator and describe him the situation? You guys, seriously, all look like kids with all this "lol, let's spam every page related to the game, let's find and crucify poor kid, etc." stuff. Time to grow up, huh?

Response to Someone in Japan Stole my Music 2010-02-18 13:31:28

At 2/18/10 01:25 PM, Doppelori wrote: He already gave your a credit. Since he can't really personally ask you (can you understand any moonrunes he type? Nope, i think) this is the best solution in that case.
Anyway, why didn't you tried to contact him with some kinda translator and describe him the situation? You guys, seriously, all look like kids with all this "lol, let's spam every page related to the game, let's find and crucify poor kid, etc." stuff. Time to grow up, huh?

I never had any part with that. The people who did that don't reflect my own actions. In any event, I should find out later today or tomorrow from my father's friend in the entertainment industry where to go from here. When I do, ill contact him on my own.

PS stop trying to act like an adult, it makes you look like a tool.

Response to Someone in Japan Stole my Music 2010-02-18 13:42:21

At 2/18/10 01:25 PM, Doppelori wrote: Time to grow up, huh?

Well, I'm glad that you're so mature and you take so much responsibility for your actions that you make a new NG account just to rant here...
For now, some of us who "simply acted like mating baboon" do take responsibility for our actions and don't hide our identities.

He already gave you a credit. So what else you need?

Hard to read, eh ?
Well, it's like sex:
- If you just grab someone and start "action" = rape = bad thing
- If you ask someone and agree on "action" = consensual activity = fun = good thing

750 yen? More like cost of DVD-disc itself

Yes yes... Nathan pointed that out also, 750 yen = 8$
So what ? 10 games sold = one decent condenser microphone. This really make a difference for a 17 years old guy who start home music production.

Response to Someone in Japan Stole my Music 2010-02-18 13:52:37

Hey guys. Random Touhou fan/Japanese student here. It doesn't look like anyone's posted this yet, but the guy put a notice on his site that says that he's stopping his doujin circle and development of Vampirish Night indefinitely and that he won't be attending Reitaisai, the major event where he would have sold it. I can't necessarily approve of the methods you guys used (I know you weren't involved, KgZ), but it seems like the message got across. I don't know what started this and I don't know what he's thinking right now, but I suspect that if he's going so far as to stop developing the game and pull his attendance at Reitaisai, then I think he's at least realizes what he's done and feels ashamed about it.

I'm definitely no pro at Japanese, but I've been studying it for a few years. KgZ, If you have something you want to say to the guy, I can try and send him an email or Youtube PM or something.

Response to Someone in Japan Stole my Music 2010-02-18 14:00:46

I don't know what KgZ would like, but a connection between those two should be done.
Maybe some of us overreacted (I do that often) but the message would be not to stop the developing the game but to reach an agreement with KgZ.

If he reach an agreement and he is the owner of the YouTube account, then if he make the videos available again I'll erase ALL of my comments.

I guess even if he don't have money but asked KgZ for music and sent him a copy of the game, KgZ would been happy and proud of this achievement and all this fuss would not reached this level of paranoia.

Response to Someone in Japan Stole my Music 2010-02-18 14:05:50

This is no matter what you will do now. He cancelled the game due to your fan brigade actions everywhere and some threatening from their side. Their actions probably ruined the work he done for months, even years, cuz making a really good 3D game alone ain't easy.

Okay, lets use some math here.
Theoretically, how much he was able to contibute if this game was fully commercial? Let's say, 10% (really good deal in such case) of 750 yen for each copy. This guy isn't CAPCOM, KONAMI or etc. Let's say he was able to sell 200 copies. 160 bux? It's not even worthy to bother yourself with it, since you are not poor kid from Nepal working 20 hours a day for 1 bux.

And let's see the other side. You are a young musician, but you don't have any real fame to begin a real musician career. Every time you take credit from anyone who used your music - you gain fame.
Remember how many cool bands get started? With free concerts and charity tours. And when you get famous enough - some recording company will find you and offer a deal. Also, you should probably try to make some touhou remixes.

Response to Someone in Japan Stole my Music 2010-02-18 14:11:36

First of all, perhaps my wording was a bit ambiguous; I should have used the word "suspended" rather than "stopped" as that's closer to the word used in Japanese. Secondly, just because he stopped development of the game doesn't mean he deleted all of his work. I believe this situation can still be salvaged. Also, KgZ already said that he doesn't care about the money; he just wanted to be asked first and for his work to be credited as such.

Response to Someone in Japan Stole my Music 2010-02-18 14:17:42

You somehow refuse to see the problem here.
You can talk about kids from Nepal, big names of game producers, economical situation and stuff... but you don't get to the real factor that started the anger.

All what he had to do is ask.
He could also send to KgZ a copy of his game.
If he don't know English (which I very much doubt) he cold translate something like "Me liek you moozek, me use in game ? plies say ok? many thancs from Japan, sorry for bad inglese".

crap

Response to Someone in Japan Stole my Music 2010-02-18 14:18:57

At 2/18/10 01:42 PM, sorohanro wrote:
Hard to read, eh ?
Well, it's like sex:
- If you just grab someone and start "action" = rape = bad thing
- If you ask someone and agree on "action" = consensual activity = fun = good thing

If you just grab something supposed to be used for free and use it for, strictly speaking, free product, so there is nothing bad at all.
Game price is very low, it must be hardly covering author expences for it. And it doesn't look like game which supposed to be sold in million copies around the world. You wanna piece of zero-profit? You got it already.

Yes yes... Nathan pointed that out also, 750 yen = 8$
So what ? 10 games sold = one decent condenser microphone. This really make a difference for a 17 years old guy who start home music production.

8$ - producting costs - other dev expences - etc. = x(which is pure profit). X->0

Response to Someone in Japan Stole my Music 2010-02-18 14:19:02

Another random guy coming out of nowhere to deal with this as well.

First of all, that Youtube account is most likely not his. These videos are usually just cross-posted off of Nico Nico Douga from fans, and the incessant spamming was probably just pissing the uploader off so he took the videos off.

What is most likely the cause of this is the doujin community itself. What you probably don't know is that with these people, they don't license anything. Part of the doujin community is just using stuff gathered from other people, doing something new to it and releasing it back. It's a cycle of sharing material, and it's a compliment to have your stuff used by someone else. It's not some American bullshit "you're stealing my shit so I'm suing you". If you request that nobody uses your work, then you just say so and people won't do it, out of respect. That's just how it works. It's that simple.

I'm disappointed in the people that felt like they had to intervene and spam everything up. You were not helping the situation, you were only aggravating it.

I sigh a sigh of relief if at least some of you realize that you can seriously dent the sales of the game. I guarantee that he has done much more work on the game than you have for a few tracks (not trying to belittle the amount of work making music requires, I create music myself). It's just not worth it to halt the entire thing because of this. All the people who could be playing it, enjoying your music, enjoying his game? Right now it's crumbling into oblivion and you really, really need to talk with him, now. Stop talking to people about it and just email him, for the love of god.

Response to Someone in Japan Stole my Music 2010-02-18 14:37:37

At 2/18/10 02:18 PM, Doppelori wrote:
At 2/18/10 01:42 PM, sorohanro wrote: - If you just grab someone and start "action" = rape = bad thing
If you just grab something supposed to be used for free and use it for, strictly speaking, free product, so there is nothing bad at all.

Let's go on with my parallel:
Sex
Prostitutes sell sex = sex not free
Good girls don't sell sex = sex not for money
Now, if you grab a girl and rape her = bad thing
If you buy a drink, hold hands, say "I love you" under moonlight, then you can have sex for no money.
Conclusion:
You can have free sex if you do the holding hands, moonlight walk and all the stuff... but you have to do it.

Now for a guy who spend probably months for coding and 3D graphics and stuff is such an effort to write a mail ? or a PM on Newgrounds ?

At 2/18/10 02:19 PM, Caprio wrote: I'm disappointed in the people that felt like they had to intervene and spam everything up. You were not helping the situation, you were only aggravating it.

Agravating ?
At least now people (fans and maybe also game developer) are aware of an issue.
Now maybe everyone learned to ask before. It's not an impossible task to ask.

Stop talking to people about it and just email him, for the love of god.

Well, let's hope that KgZ will get on the forum soon enough and see this.
If you have the game creator's e-mail you should PM it to KgZ.

Response to Someone in Japan Stole my Music 2010-02-18 14:39:07

At 2/18/10 02:17 PM, sorohanro wrote: All what he had to do is ask.
He could also send to KgZ a copy of his game.
If he don't know English (which I very much doubt) he cold translate something like "Me liek you moozek, me use in game ? plies say ok? many thancs from Japan, sorry for bad inglese".

If he didn't ask, then ask him by yourself: "Why didn't you ask me in the first place?
But there is no need to create such a drama with shit throwing, jewtube raiding, comments bitching, threatements and other stuff. Why do people always find the worst way to solve such a little problem? It was able to be solved in 3-4 e-mails without any kind of this shit we have now.

Response to Someone in Japan Stole my Music 2010-02-18 14:43:50

To be clear about one aspect, I'm not KgZ.
I don't even know his real name.

Now that this is clear let's move on:
So, if you have the possibility to contact the game creator, tell him to contact KgZ, he seems to be quite a nice guy (unlike me).
Also, feel free to contact KgZ and provide him the e-mail or another way to reach the game creator.

Response to Someone in Japan Stole my Music 2010-02-18 14:55:30

At 2/18/10 02:37 PM, sorohanro wrote: Let's go on with my parallel:
Sex
Prostitutes sell sex = sex not free
Good girls don't sell sex = sex not for money
Now, if you grab a girl and rape her = bad thing
If you buy a drink, hold hands, say "I love you" under moonlight, then you can have sex for no money.
Conclusion:
You can have free sex if you do the holding hands, moonlight walk and all the stuff... but you have to do it.

Cmon, let's talk strictly:
Can KgZ songs be used for free? Yes.
So can it be used in freeware game, for example? Probably yes.

Remember, this game isn't licensed, so buying it on the festival or doujin-products site is like clicking "donate" button (which doesn't exist) on the creator's page. Noone will judge you (since this is not USA where army of lawyers can tear you apart for 1 cent) if you just download it somewhere, creator, God, or ZUN himself (Just try to imagine how big his email box must be before every festival, where anyone use part of his creation, if they ask him directly. Answering probably can take weeks.) .

Now for a guy who spend probably months for coding and 3D graphics and stuff is such an effort to write a mail ? or a PM on Newgrounds ?

Maybe he downloaded KgZ's music somewhere else and don't know how to find his email, or simply can't speak english?

At least now people (fans and maybe also game developer) are aware of an issue.
Now maybe everyone learned to ask before. It's not an impossible task to ask.

And, possibly, some bunch of fans is not just frustrated. Beware, they can be pain in the ass.

Response to Someone in Japan Stole my Music 2010-02-18 15:02:04

At 2/18/10 01:52 PM, helmbot56 wrote: I'm definitely no pro at Japanese, but I've been studying it for a few years. KgZ, If you have something you want to say to the guy, I can try and send him an email or Youtube PM or something.

That would be great actually, I'll send you a pm soon.