00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LightyJaeger just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Serious Musicians - Impossible task

10,327 Views | 45 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

http://www.oratoriosocietyofny.org/image s/Humor/Aire.pdf

That my friends is a link to a PDF of Faerie's Aire and Death Waltz!!

An impossible music composition - you will never play it! But feel free to try.

With such instructions however as "Play with Passionfruit" and "Release the penguins" you may find you've bitten off more than you can chew :P

I've included a small preview in this post:

.: The Audio Report :. - Artist interviews, songs, competitions and more.

The Audio Report official thread!

View the latest issue!

BBS Signature

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-09 17:42:51

What if someone were to enter that on a piano roll to see how it sounds? I think it wouldn't even sound like something that doesn't rape our ears.

what

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-09 17:56:17

I've always wondered what Dragonforce's music would look like on sheet music.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-09 17:57:01

My piano rolls looked like that when I first started FL Studio...lol

Except I wasn't trying to write anything cool, I was just trying to draw a fish :P

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-09 18:01:05

Is this for organ?

If so, those multi-octave chords are useless. Organs already have octaves built in with various drawbar configurations.

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-09 18:01:53

At 11/9/09 05:57 PM, Zooloo75 wrote: My piano rolls looked like that when I first started FL Studio...lol

Except I wasn't trying to write anything cool, I was just trying to draw a fish :P

You made me laugh in real life.
So, is anyone going for it to draw that on FL's piano roll or anything similar? I might as well tomorrow.

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-09 18:03:30

I have a better idea. Get someone with Finale and OCR and scan it in.

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-09 18:05:05

At 11/9/09 06:01 PM, Mich wrote:
At 11/9/09 05:57 PM, Zooloo75 wrote: My piano rolls looked like that when I first started FL Studio...lol

You made me laugh in real life.
So, is anyone going for it to draw that on FL's piano roll or anything similar? I might as well tomorrow.

I might be able to find that score file and send it to you, lol :P
Prepare to see FISH WITH TAIL!!

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-09 18:43:03

At 11/9/09 06:01 PM, nathanallenpinard wrote: Is this for organ?

If so, those multi-octave chords are useless. Organs already have octaves built in with various drawbar configurations.

I just don't think that is the point... -_-

BBS Signature

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-09 18:44:07

I don't see the point of that whole friggin' score.

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-09 18:46:42

I have to think that there isn't one, other than to look amusing

BBS Signature

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-09 19:30:21

Okay well obviously some people have missed the point.

It is not a serious score- It's a satire - It is however quite an impressive composition. If you actually look at the score it's quite amusing.
"Harpists all stand up"
"Bow really fast... slippage may occur"

If you look on youtube a number of people have attempted to play this score, one group got REALLY close, with a very large band.

View the latest issue!

BBS Signature

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-09 19:31:33

what do i search for on youtube? I wanna hear this.

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-09 19:44:01

The most accurate ATTEMPT has been:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCgT94A7W gI

(The composer talks for a bit at the start, its at an old folks home)

I say attempt... because I mean really, how close are you actually going to get to the score?

You can search for Faerie's Aire and Death Waltz

View the latest issue!

BBS Signature

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-09 20:16:57

At 11/9/09 07:44 PM, Firebalt wrote: The most accurate ATTEMPT has been:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCgT94A7W gI

(The composer talks for a bit at the start, its at an old folks home)

I say attempt... because I mean really, how close are you actually going to get to the score?

You can search for Faerie's Aire and Death Waltz

I wouldve burned that score on the spot.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. (No longer take project clients from newgrounds but if you need a track or two from what ive got pm me.)

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-09 20:34:22

Lol, this would've been zero bombed right away if it were uploaded here!

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-09 21:35:23

Its actually pretty damn entertaining, and if someone made it sound a bit better, and have more comical moments, it would be actually quite hilarious.

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-09 23:44:31

Ok, so basically it's an abstract piece or orchestra, and we're looking at a condensed score for it. THAT makes more sense.

I have something similar to show, which is way...way more impacting. A piece that depicts the bombing of Dresden. It starts film-like, but becoming really abstract at the end (3rd movement) with more than just instrument contribution depicting sirens, bombs, bombers and people screaming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXeb-lrvs Vo

BIgger Ensemble: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYLlJSiVl Uo&feature=related

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-10 06:46:44

At 11/9/09 11:44 PM, nathanallenpinard wrote: Ok, so basically it's an abstract piece or orchestra, and we're looking at a condensed score for it. THAT makes more sense.

You're taking it way too seriously. The piece is a joke. It's supposed to be funny.

BBS Signature

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-10 06:56:07

At 11/10/09 06:46 AM, MJTTOMB wrote:
At 11/9/09 11:44 PM, nathanallenpinard wrote: Ok, so basically it's an abstract piece or orchestra, and we're looking at a condensed score for it. THAT makes more sense.
You're taking it way too seriously. The piece is a joke. It's supposed to be funny.

Yes, it's supposed to be funny. But it's still a seriously written, thought out piece. Note for note with specific directions just like the Dresden piece.

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-10 07:03:23

NG Jazz is like getting Harry J. Anslinger to write it.

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-10 07:19:35

At 11/10/09 06:56 AM, nathanallenpinard wrote: Yes, it's supposed to be funny. But it's still a seriously written, thought out piece. Note for note with specific directions just like the Dresden piece.

I'm starting to wonder whether you're just fucking with us all and pretending to take it seriously.

Because, uh.

(professional) singer. songwriter. smartass.

{Facebook} // {Soundcloud}

Latest releases: Optic Echoes // Starclad

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-10 07:22:38

At 11/10/09 07:19 AM, Liralei wrote:
At 11/10/09 06:56 AM, nathanallenpinard wrote: Yes, it's supposed to be funny. But it's still a seriously written, thought out piece. Note for note with specific directions just like the Dresden piece.
I'm starting to wonder whether you're just fucking with us all and pretending to take it seriously.

Because, uh.

No, I am. It's still a thought out written piece. Trust me, there are two ways to write abstract music like that, one is way...way simpler.

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-10 11:26:06

I have something similar to show, which is way...way more impacting. A piece that depicts the bombing of Dresden. It starts film-like, but becoming really abstract at the end (3rd movement) with more than just instrument contribution depicting sirens, bombs, bombers and people screaming.

It reminds me of Xenakis' Erikhton Concerto, in which it literally sounds like all hell is breaking loose around you, with sirens and glissandos going every which way with everything sounding pretty horrible (in the imagination sense, not the musical. Musically, it's genius).

And who gives a damn if it's a joke or not? A piece of music is a piece of music. Everyone thought that Erik Satie's stuff was nothing but jokes, but apparently that's not how he felt. People can analyze what they feel like and take things seriously if they want to. Sorry if you guys apparently don't like looking a bit beyond how music superficially looks. Sorry, that sounds snobbish, but get off nathan's back for trying to look at this piece objectively instead of the 'lol funne' sentiment, as worthwhile it might (not) be.

If you want music that is equally incomprehensible (wonder how THIS would look in the piano roll):

If you think you might have secret information listening to me, you're lost.

~Morton Feldman

Click on ROGA'S for a good time.

BBS Signature

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-10 13:00:22

four to the floor or NOTHING at all

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-10 13:33:21

At 11/10/09 01:00 PM, pr0ded wrote: four to the floor or NOTHING at all

or drumkick, snare, drumkick snare.

with 500 different hihat hits inbetween.

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-10 14:12:49

my opinion is subjective but i like to form it only with one listen, also my auditory perception is at the pinnacle and thus sound can't sound any "clearer"

which is why mah electronic music sounds faithful to the "pros"
but thats not me, its the reader

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-10 14:35:05

I just played it. Sounds a little jerky but there is some nice counter-point in there where you release the frog in the 2nd chair saxaphone's bell or whatever. I didn't have a 2nd chair saxaphonist, so I substituted a mince meat pie and pretended the frog was a buffalo to compensate for the lack of shock therapy at the end (didn't have any spare car batteries).

But you get the idea.

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-10 16:02:46

At 11/10/09 02:35 PM, joshhunsaker wrote: I just played it. Sounds a little jerky but there is some nice counter-point in there where you release the frog in the 2nd chair saxaphone's bell or whatever. I didn't have a 2nd chair saxaphonist, so I substituted a mince meat pie and pretended the frog was a buffalo to compensate for the lack of shock therapy at the end (didn't have any spare car batteries).

Did you detonate the explosives here?.... here... and here? Nice work with the frog, I just hope the cattle made it off the stage. Like a dirigible....

View the latest issue!

BBS Signature

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-10 18:14:14

At 11/10/09 11:26 AM, EmperorCharlemagne wrote:

It reminds me of Xenakis' Erikhton Concerto, in which it literally sounds like all hell is breaking loose around you, with sirens and glissandos going every which way with everything sounding pretty horrible (in the imagination sense, not the musical. Musically, it's genius).

And who gives a damn if it's a joke or not? A piece of music is a piece of music. Everyone thought that Erik Satie's stuff was nothing but jokes, but apparently that's not how he felt. People can analyze what they feel like and take things seriously if they want to. Sorry if you guys apparently don't like looking a bit beyond how music superficially looks. Sorry, that sounds snobbish, but get off nathan's back for trying to look at this piece objectively instead of the 'lol funne' sentiment, as worthwhile it might (not) be.

If you want music that is equally incomprehensible (wonder how THIS would look in the piano roll):

I'm not saying "lol funne". I'm saying that the piece is most probably written for the sake of being comical rather than for the sake of being performance music. In a way, I don't think that recording of the work was true to the composer's intent. In my speculation (as you are allowed speculation, so am I), the composer's intent was to make a piece of music that is truly impossible and yet still have it be appealing through comical elements. The fact that they tried to prove the composer wrong and instead played (and consequently botched) the piece seems to me to fail to live up to the composer's intent. I'm not saying at all that the music is without value. Musical value is measured by how the composer lived up to their intent, and I think the composer did a great job.

Don't think I look down upon abstract music. One of the most powerful pieces I know of is Bussotti's Rara Requiem. Schoenberg's Survivor from Warsaw also comes to mind.

Your response was far out of proportion to what I said.

BBS Signature