00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

wilwz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Serious Musicians - Impossible task

10,326 Views | 45 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-10 18:51:51

Oh, well sorry then. Opinions opinions.

If you think you might have secret information listening to me, you're lost.

~Morton Feldman

Click on ROGA'S for a good time.

BBS Signature

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-10 20:57:20

I'm saying that the piece is most probably written for the sake of being comical rather than for the sake of being performance music

But it's always going to be performance music. If if it's comical, they are still going to take it seriously when it comes to writing and performance.

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-11 06:24:05

At 11/10/09 08:57 PM, nathanallenpinard wrote:
I'm saying that the piece is most probably written for the sake of being comical rather than for the sake of being performance music
But it's always going to be performance music. If if it's comical, they are still going to take it seriously when it comes to writing and performance.

But then it boils down to the question of if it really is performance music. Because withi it's impossible nature, I'm not entirely sure it's intended to be performed.

BBS Signature

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-11 06:29:59

Doesn't the performance of an 'impossible' piece become comical in and of itself?

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-11 06:53:10

Yeah this peice was written as a humorous satire of musical composition. I mean some of it is literally impossible, obviously. Its just fun to read and laugh about. And to watch youtube people have a crack at it.

.: The Audio Report :. - Artist interviews, songs, competitions and more.

The Audio Report official thread!

View the latest issue!

BBS Signature

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-11 08:20:49

Don't even consider it impossible, as it's not really. Not from what I heard on that youtube video (which was probably botched yes)

Most of the notes are quite simple if you spread it across multiple instruments.

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-11 08:33:41

At 11/11/09 08:20 AM, nathanallenpinard wrote: Most of the notes are quite simple if you spread it across multiple instruments.

I'd say the impossibility comes from the choreography of the piece, rather than the technical difficulty of playing all of the notes.

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-12 13:23:31

At 11/12/09 11:12 AM, Chronamut wrote: I think I'll stick to music that doesn't sound like satan blew it out his ass..

Isn't that what metal is?

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-12 14:00:18

At 11/10/09 07:03 AM, railroadspike wrote: What about this piece.
http://questionabletopic.files.wordpress .com/2008/07/aphex-twin.jpg

rotfl Richard D. James FTW!!!

Speaking of weird picture based music , and Richard D James ( AT ):

When Aphex Twin gets bored with a camera and an EQ

Skip to 5:30. weirdest thing ever. Spectrogram encrypotion of a photograph.

Xen0siS - Song links below.

Mind Stalker....I.P.V.....Infect10n....T he Sun ( Apollo )

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-12 14:14:52

At 11/12/09 01:23 PM, nathanallenpinard wrote:
At 11/12/09 11:12 AM, Chronamut wrote: I think I'll stick to music that doesn't sound like satan blew it out his ass..

BOOM roasted.

If you think you might have secret information listening to me, you're lost.

~Morton Feldman

Click on ROGA'S for a good time.

BBS Signature

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-12 17:14:56

At 11/12/09 01:23 PM, nathanallenpinard wrote:

Holy fucking shit.
I was agreeing with everything you said.
But the last part , actually gave me a tear in my eye. And now I will only record Emo from here forth.
But I also think it's for an Organ player.
And if you think of it , when there are 4 16th notes playing simoltainiously (can't spell , swedish ) that part could easily be played by to players on the same piano / organ etc.
Nothing is impossible. Look at the Starwars theme Score and tell me it doesn't look impossible. I was directing a symphony that played that song. I had to practise my brains off at home just to be able to read it all at the same time.

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-12 22:24:18

Pretty much Nathan is really killing the hilarity vibe here. Yes, we know it is written in a literal "proper" manner, and it could quite possibly be played (not on one instrument [okay, maybe the recorder]), but this is just to look at and laugh. I think Nathan is so musically knowledgeable and serious, he just can't laugh at it's sillyness.

I wonder how it would sound on a recorder.

Strychnine and cyanide. A healthy part of this complete breakfast.

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-13 10:35:58

At 11/9/09 06:44 PM, nathanallenpinard wrote: I don't see the point of that whole friggin' score.

It's just a visual thing. It's not real music. Let's say it was ''for the lulz''

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-14 17:15:41

At 11/9/09 05:57 PM, Zooloo75 wrote: My piano rolls looked like that when I first started FL Studio...lol

Except I wasn't trying to write anything cool, I was just trying to draw a fish :P

i've already done this and here is what it looks like on FL piano roll

http://peanutbutterloops.ytmnd.com/

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-15 02:40:43

this reminds me of the rumors of aphex twins music comp, which was complete nonsense to propose such a thing, but still it was a rumor of sorts

Articulation by art

Instagram @ Sequencer1

3D, Music, Dance, Make

BBS Signature

Response to Serious Musicians - Impossible task 2009-11-15 03:03:35

This is a satirical jab at abstract & excessively-complex music. And judging by how people have insisted on dissecting it, it has made its point one way or another.