00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Hooovie just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

First or Third Person?

2,208 Views | 36 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

First or Third Person? 2009-09-13 10:21:32

Now I'm wondering, what do NG users like more, first or third person shooting games?
I know different people like different things, but it seeps FPS's are always hailed as better, lets see if this is the case, so, what's better, first or third person?

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to First or Third Person? 2009-09-13 10:26:38

FPS games tend to be alot more Fast Paced, which I like, but I also like the gameplay of games such as Gears of War and Full Spectrum Warrior.

So in my opinion, it'd have to be Third Person for me.

Response to First or Third Person? 2009-09-13 10:31:18

i dont have a favorit i like FPS shooters like Starwars Republic Commando and the Halo games.. and3 person shooters like Lost Planet, and Red Faction: Guerilla

Response to First or Third Person? 2009-09-13 10:34:51

1st person because halo 3 owns

Response to First or Third Person? 2009-09-13 10:36:14

It depends on the game itself, really. There are FP games that I like a lot (like Left 4 Dead and Fallout 3), and TP games that I like a lot (Dead Space, Batman: Arkham Asylum).

There ARE some exceptions though. Like, playing Fallout 3 in third person is really annoying, the camera is too far away from the character and you can't properly see what's in front of you. It's also hard to pick up small items with the camera being too far away. The only time when the TP view comes in handy is when you want to see enemies hiding behind walls or rocks.

The idea of playing Mirror's Edge in TP is another example. The thing that makes that game so fun and unique is the movements in the camera while running, jumping, etc. The amount of realism, I mean. Playing that game in TP view wouldn't even be half as satisfying in my opinion.

"The trust of the innocent is the liar's most useful tool." -Stephen King

Response to First or Third Person? 2009-09-13 10:36:44

1st person.

Response to First or Third Person? 2009-09-13 10:38:07

Third-Person Perspective works well for me. I'd prefer it over First-Person, since it's a lot easier to dodge, turn around and get out of the way (as in RE4 and others) as opposed to Halo and Metroid Prime. Also, you can see your character and not have to guess where exactly you're standing.

With First-Person, it's a lot more complex, and you can't see as much as with third person, which gives you the best overall vision and shooting range. (Anyone remember the Fusion Rocket launcher from Halo 1?)

Response to First or Third Person? 2009-09-13 10:39:33

At 9/13/09 10:36 AM, mrty wrote:
Fallout 3 in third person is really annoying, the camera is too far away from the character and you can't properly see what's in front of you. .

You know you can change how far away the camera is by moving the right stick up and down while holding down the Left bumper?(or L1 on PS3, or mouse wheel on PC)

Response to First or Third Person? 2009-09-13 10:45:06

At 9/13/09 10:39 AM, Jackho wrote:
Fallout 3 in third person is really annoying, the camera is too far away from the character and you can't properly see what's in front of you. .
You know you can change how far away the camera is by moving the right stick up and down while holding down the Left bumper?(or L1 on PS3, or mouse wheel on PC)

Sorry, I didn't know that. I gotta try that sometime. Still though, I prefer first person when it comes to Fallout 3.

How do you know that by the way? From the game manual?

"The trust of the innocent is the liar's most useful tool." -Stephen King

Response to First or Third Person? 2009-09-13 12:16:09

At 9/13/09 10:45 AM, mrty wrote:

Probably just accidentally pressed a button or two and realized it. Anyway, I prefer third person. Games that use it just seem to be better.

Here's my Dtoid account. And my Urban Terror ID is BenelliM4-Medic. And I know Travis Touchdown isn't a Capcom character, but I put him in anyway.

BBS Signature

Response to First or Third Person? 2009-09-13 12:25:05

I mostly like third person more, more insight and less constricted. But for some games third person just doesn't work.

So zetta slow!

BBS Signature

Response to First or Third Person? 2009-09-13 12:27:30

I like the bird's eye view

|_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_|

Response to First or Third Person? 2009-09-13 12:30:02

Both are good for different games. Lost Planet's 3rd person was good, but on the PC, the FPS option sucked because you couldn't see ur gun, or melee attacks.

Exit, pursued by a bear - Shakespearean stage direction - The Winter's Tale

Response to First or Third Person? 2009-09-13 12:34:07

When it comes to matchmaking, I prefer FPS because I suck at TPS online.

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church

Response to First or Third Person? 2009-09-13 12:53:23

First person because of Quake and TF2.

Response to First or Third Person? 2009-09-13 13:08:18

At 9/13/09 10:45 AM, mrty wrote:
At 9/13/09 10:39 AM, Jackho wrote:
Sorry, I didn't know that. I gotta try that sometime. Still though, I prefer first person when it comes to Fallout 3.

I noticed in a youtube video that a guy had an over-the-shoulder view when mine was a mile away.
so I just messed aroun until I figured it out

Response to First or Third Person? 2009-09-13 13:34:36

I can't decide.

In games where it's first person, I want to see it in third person.

But in games where it's third person, I want to see it in first person.

I'm weird.

It ain't easy being cheesey.

Backloggd account | Letterboxd account

BBS Signature

Response to First or Third Person? 2009-09-13 14:33:52

1st person is better on the PC with a mouse and keyboard. 3rd person is better with a controller.

At 9/13/09 10:26 AM, Lagamuffin wrote: FPS games tend to be alot more Fast Paced, which I like, but I also like the gameplay of games such as Gears of War and Full Spectrum Warrior.

Full spectrum warrior? That game isn't a shooter though, thats a strategy game...

Response to First or Third Person? 2009-09-13 14:35:41

At 9/13/09 10:36 AM, Jackho wrote: 1st person.

This, even though being on 3rd person in Tf2 isn't that bad, I would play it either way.

"We will hang the Capitalist with the rope they sell us!"

-Joseph Stalin

Response to First or Third Person? 2009-09-13 15:06:11

i prefer first person, i have a lot of trouble playing third because i get bored easily by it for some reason

Response to First or Third Person? 2009-09-13 19:43:44

I enjoy fps game better,but if third person games are done right then they can be better than most fps games

Response to First or Third Person? 2009-09-13 19:53:33

First person all the way, hands down, no question.

BBS Signature

Response to First or Third Person? 2009-09-13 19:53:45

I don't play shooters often, but for the most part, I like first-person. However, if there are heavy platforming elements in the game, then I'd prefer third-person.

When all else fails, blame the casuals!

BBS Signature

Response to First or Third Person? 2009-09-13 19:58:31

it depends i mostly like first person games but r6v2 i guess you could say is a hybrid

Response to First or Third Person? 2009-09-13 21:34:44

I like FPS due to more of a realistic feel but TPS make you more aware of you're surroundings. Gameplay like Gears of War though have me hooked but the intensity of FPS also has my heart.

Both

XBL GT: SleepyB 408

I Xbox 360 Club I MLB Club I

BBS Signature

Response to First or Third Person? 2009-09-13 21:40:49

Depends on the game. Like Resident Evil is better in third-person than in first-person.

Although games like Halo are better in first-person. However to have the option would certainly be sweet.

To answer your question I prefer third-person.

Response to First or Third Person? 2009-09-13 22:18:18

For shooter games, first person. It's just so... awkward trying to shoot in third person.

The only games that give you a choice that I've played extensively are Morrowind and Fallout 3. Fallout 3, I'm always in first person. But Morrowind, when I'm fighting, I'm in first person, but when walking around I go into third. Looks a lot better, even though that game's graphics are shit.

Response to First or Third Person? 2009-09-13 22:41:15

I perfer 3-D person platformers.

PSN ID: DMANSLAND, Wii number: too lazy to look up, Manliness level: GODLY

BBS Signature

Response to First or Third Person? 2009-09-13 22:59:27

First person because I dislike how in third-person shooters, you have to hold a button or trigger just in order to use your crosshair and aim. This really pisses me off while playing online, particularly MGO, where I confront a guy and the delay in aiming my gun is SUPER SLOW and the guy ends up killing me.

yeah I suck =\

While in a first person, you're already aiming and you only use a button or trigger to use iron-sights to aim at someone far away.

The only TPS that was perfect in terms of controls was Max Payne.

BBS Signature

Response to First or Third Person? 2009-09-14 02:40:03

i prefer first person mainly because in FPS the gameplay is generally more fast paced

I do Art. I also have a Gaming Site

BBS Signature