00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

American Football Discussion

295,226 Views | 4,005 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-01-08 22:32:20

Marshawn Lynch.

"In this world // We walk on the roof of hell, // Gazing at flowers." -- Issa

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-01-08 22:59:25

At 1/8/11 09:03 PM, Gobblemeister wrote: The Saints should not be called a bad team for this loss at all, and their win was no fluke.

Bad losses to the Browns and Cardinals, Drew Bress throwing over 20 picks and losing to a 7-9 team in the playoffs says otherwise. I know that they have 11 wins overall, but you just can't lose to a bad team like that, even at their place, and expect to be treated seriously.

The Seahawks earned this win more than anything else. Hasselbeck had a career game and that entire team buckled down and put on a great performance.

That may be, but at the same time, why did it take them so long to finally have that type of performance? I know Marshawn Lynch was overdue for a huge play, but other than that, the Saints had this game on a silver platter, and didn't capatialize when it mattered most.

At the end of the day a team with as much on their back as Seattle is a force of nature and you just can't win.

Calling Seattle a force of nature is like saying the sky is green and down is up, let's face the facts here, They are a bad team in a shitty division, and their luck is gonna run out very soon, As I said before, even a blind squirrel can find a nut once in a while.

Let's hope they send Chicago home crying too so that the Bears can stop kidding themselves.

I seriously hope you're kidding, Chicago is far better on defense than the Saints, and it is going to be at their house. I know that Jay Cutler is the most schizophentic QB in the league in terms of production, but to think that they can carve up the Bears D like they did with the Saints is laughable.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-01-08 23:14:57

At 1/8/11 10:59 PM, orangebomb wrote:
At 1/8/11 09:03 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:
Bad losses to the Browns and Cardinals, Drew Bress throwing over 20 picks and losing to a 7-9 team in the playoffs says otherwise. I know that they have 11 wins overall, but you just can't lose to a bad team like that, even at their place, and expect to be treated seriously.

Patriots lost to the Browns also, so did the Ravens, but no you're right, they aren't threats at all. Each game is a new one, you can look back all you want but in the end the games of the past only give you an idea of what to expect, is it possible New Orleans were lax and let this one slip? Yes, as evident by their near comeback, but they were just as dangerous as any other team in the playoffs.

That may be, but at the same time, why did it take them so long to finally have that type of performance? I know Marshawn Lynch was overdue for a huge play, but other than that, the Saints had this game on a silver platter, and didn't capatialize when it mattered most.

Every team has these kinds of games, they've struggled with injuries among other things, but at the end of the day the Seahawks are a team that plays in the playoffs. If I remember correctly they've never had a first round bye since their Superbowl run or before it, but they win playoff games. That's just what seems to happen for the Seahawks.

Calling Seattle a force of nature is like saying the sky is green and down is up, let's face the facts here, They are a bad team in a shitty division, and their luck is gonna run out very soon, As I said before, even a blind squirrel can find a nut once in a while.

I meant they were in this game, they could easily falter for a number of reasons next week, but they proved that they are a legitimate threat. Seattle simply had more to play for in a sense, it's not that the Saints didn't care or anything, but Seattle wanted it more, and they proved it.

I seriously hope you're kidding, Chicago is far better on defense than the Saints, and it is going to be at their house. I know that Jay Cutler is the most schizophentic QB in the league in terms of production, but to think that they can carve up the Bears D like they did with the Saints is laughable.

They already beat them once this year, and counting a team entirely out of a game is far more laughable then anything I could suggest.

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-01-08 23:22:32

At 1/8/11 08:25 PM, puddinN64 wrote: If the Colts lose this game, I'm going to lose it. I'll die laughing, really I will.

Hello, I regret to inform you that Puddinn64 passed away today at the end of the NFL game between the Colts and Jets. The cause of death was nonstop laughter at the fact that both Super Bowl teams from last year got eliminated from the playoffs in today's games. The funeral will be held during the Super Bowl.

Rex Ryan 4 teh win!

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-01-08 23:28:17

At 1/8/11 11:22 PM, puddinN64 wrote: Rex Ryan 4 teh win!

Too bad the Jets will get stomped in New England.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-01-09 00:27:08

At 1/8/11 11:28 PM, Spoopy wrote:
At 1/8/11 11:22 PM, puddinN64 wrote: Rex Ryan 4 teh win!
Too bad the Jets will get stomped in New England.

Never say never. No one expected the Seahawks to be going onto next week's round and look what happened there...

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-01-09 13:48:22

A great start to the play-offs this year, though frustratingly I can't watch any of the games as they aren't shown on terrestrial TV here in the UK. As a Broncos fan I obviously have to favour the underdogs, and as I can't stand the Patriots or Steelers I will be willing on absolutely anyone but them (the Colts would also have been in that list, but they did the decent thing and lost).

The only games we get here, besides the match at Wembley which is rather irrelevant now, are the Sunday night games. As such there are a few play-off teams I haven't seen at all this year (Falcons, Chiefs, Bears). By far the best teams I have seen, at least in the games that have been televised, are the Packers and Eagles, and it will be whichever of those two that wins that I will be rooting for, along with the rank outsiders (go Seahawks!).

Looking forward to the Super Bowl (I've not missed one for 10 years now, and that will be televised at least!), and hopefully a win for a team that hasn't been there for a few years.

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-01-09 15:27:29

Was really suprised at the Jets games last night , Thought the Colts would surely win but the Jets really pulled together and got the upset. On another note here is my version of what reverend posted:

AFC Divisional:
2 Pittsburgh <---
3 Indianapolis

1 New England <---
4 Kansas City

NFC Divisional
1 Atlanta <-----
6 Green Bay

2 Chicago <---
5 New Orleans
---
AFC Championship
Pittsburgh <-----
New England

NFC Championship
Atlanta <----
Chicago
---
Super Bowl
Pittsburgh <-----
Atlanta

When life gives you lemons, be glad it didn't give you herpes.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-01-09 21:04:31

So, Philadelphia lost to Green Bay. What a shame. I wanted to see Mike Vick redeem himself and make it to the top.

That puts my record for this weekend at 1-3. Not good, not good at all. Maybe I should quit the football predicting game...

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-01-09 23:03:28

Even though I picked Philly, I wasn't really that surprised that Green Bay won at all. But I still don't believe they are getting any farther than the Divisional Round because they have a piecemeal running game, which you can't really get away with that beyond the first round.

Wow, The Chiefs got blown out of the water the way they did was a shock to me. I picked the Ravens to win, but it looked like KC gave up after the 2nd quarter, and didn't even bother to stop Baltimore on either side of the ball. Going 0-7 in the playoffs since 1994 is pretty painful, although the Chiefs are a young team with a lot to build on, it's obvious that they are not there yet, considering that beatdown laid upon them by the team that is named after a poem by the world's first emo, Edgar Allen Poe.

All of the Divisional Round games are going to be rematches of regular season games, most notably in the AFC where they are all divisional showdowns, {Steelers vs. Ravens & Patriots vs. Jets} which are much akin to boxing trilogies, {e.g. Ali vs. Frazier}.

The one I'm looking forward to would be the Seahawks vs. Bears, because it's going to be the matchup between the team that shouldn't be there vs. the Monsters of the Midway, even though I would expect that the Bears will blow out the Sea chickens easily.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-01-10 20:40:03

Is it too late to mention Aker's failures?

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-01-10 21:16:17

My prediction for the winner of tonight's BCS Championship Game:

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-01-10 22:48:41

At 1/10/11 09:16 PM, puddinN64 wrote: My prediction for the winner of tonight's BCS Championship Game:

Now that's the best way to paint your team colors on your body, compared to the others I have seen before.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-01-10 23:02:03

At 1/10/11 10:48 PM, orangebomb wrote:
At 1/10/11 09:16 PM, puddinN64 wrote: My prediction for the winner of tonight's BCS Championship Game:
Now that's the best way to paint your team colors on your body, compared to the others I have seen before.

If I was going to bet on it, I'd say that looks like the chick just put stickers over her nipples. Not paint.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-01-11 00:23:06

Auburn won 22-19, with thanks to Dyer's run in the 4th quarter, when everything looked like it was in slow motion after the tackle.

I'm sure Cootie is partying with excitement in the streets of Auburn, Alabama right now.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-01-11 01:06:36

Bowl Picks -- 35 out of 35
[ Rank ] [ W - L ] [ Win% ] [ User ]

>>>01 ] [ 22-13 ] [ .629 ] [ TheSongSalad ]
>>>02 ] [ 21-14 ] [ .600 ] [ illuminate ]
>>>03 ] [ 17-18 ] [ .486 ] [ Fro ]
>>>04 ] [ 14-21 ] [ .400 ] [ orangebomb ]
>>>05 ] [ 13-22 ] [ .371 ] [ Pandamir ]
>>>06 ] [ 11-24 ] [ .314 ] [ reverend ]

----

Congrats to TheSongSalad! Below is your .jpeg picture of a trophy.

gg Auburn. So much for the huge offensive shootout that everyone was expecting. And now we have eight months to listen Cootie to brag about Auburn and the SEC.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-01-11 10:28:27

At 1/9/11 09:04 PM, puddinN64 wrote: That puts my record for this weekend at 1-3. Not good, not good at all. Maybe I should quit the football predicting game...

Yeah was a week full of suprises that for sure. And i'm right there with ya on the 1-3 record for the start of the playoffs which can't be good.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-01-11 13:34:37

At 1/11/11 10:28 AM, Pandamir wrote:
At 1/9/11 09:04 PM, puddinN64 wrote: That puts my record for this weekend at 1-3. Not good, not good at all. Maybe I should quit the football predicting game...
Yeah was a week full of suprises that for sure. And i'm right there with ya on the 1-3 record for the start of the playoffs which can't be good.

Oh well, life goes on:

BAL v. PIT: PIT
NYJ v. NE: NE
GB v. ATL: ATL
SEA v. CHI: CHI

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-01-11 14:49:33

Thank god that's over.

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-01-11 15:53:51

People actually watch college football?

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-01-11 16:35:47

At 1/11/11 04:01 PM, Cootie wrote:
At 1/11/11 03:53 PM, Buddhist wrote: People actually watch college football?
Hmmm, I looked it up and it said that 37% of households watch college football and many prefer it to the pros like myself. College football is the #3 most popular sport in America behind professional football and professional baseball.

Not to mention many NFL teams send their scouts to the college football games to see which athletes they may want to draft.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-01-11 17:35:33

At 1/11/11 04:35 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote:
At 1/11/11 04:01 PM, Cootie wrote:
At 1/11/11 03:53 PM, Buddhist wrote:

And the people who are, you know, in college. Or Alabama, where there is no pro team.

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-01-11 21:30:24

Divisional Round
BAL v. PIT: Pittsburgh
NYJ v. NE: New England
GB v. ATL: Green Bay
SEA v. CHI: Chicago

----

At 1/11/11 05:35 PM, TheSongSalad wrote: And the people who are, you know, in college. Or Alabama, where there is no pro team.

Basically the way it is around here. The nearest pro team is Dallas or Kansas City; it's kind of hard to be enthusiastic about any one of them when they are some distance away.

At 1/11/11 08:22 PM, Cootie wrote: Also, college stadiums (for the good teams) are larger than pro stadiums. Auburn stadium holds 90,000 people and the Alabama stadium holds 100,000 people. The energy is intense.

Eighteen of the top twenty stadiums are college, with FedEx Field, New Meadowlands being the two pro teams stadiums.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-01-11 22:04:01

BAL v. PIT: Pittsburgh
NYJ v. NE: New York Jets
GB v. ATL: Atlanta Falcons
SEA v. CHI: Chicago

I'm probably going to get at least half of them wrong, oh well...

I'm still hoping the Seahawks will beat the Bears, that would be funny.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-01-11 22:54:03

At 1/11/11 09:58 PM, Cootie wrote:
At 1/11/11 09:30 PM, reverend wrote:
Eighteen of the top twenty stadiums are college, with FedEx Field, New Meadowlands being the two pro teams stadiums.
Having been to the HUGE Auburn stadium I can tell you that the way it is made and the way it looks makes it seem like a Colosseum almost. The pro stadiums just aren't as large and they don't have the same flavor. They are too "new" and there isn't enough history behind them it seems.

I will agree with you on the history of college stadiums compared to the new pro stadiums, considering that Michigan Stadium has been around since the 30's and can seat over 110,000+, which is the largest stadium in the western world, in terms of attendance. The biggest pro stadium would be Cowboys Stadium {Jerry World}, which seats 100,000 and has strippers in a cage and a giant TV, whoopee.

Speaking of the pro game, I'll be making my picks now.

Bal vs. Pit: I don't know about calling this WW3, but this one will hurt like hell. I'm going with the Ravens.

Sea vs. Chi: Got to go with the Bears, Fun's over Seattle, now face a real defense.

NYJ vs. NE: Going with the Patriots, can't bet against Tom Brady here or now.

GB vs. Atl: I have to take the home team, Atlanta. I have more trust in Atlanta's running game than Green Bay's running game.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-01-12 08:05:40

Asomugha is rolling out of Oakland as a free agent. As a Raiders fan, I can't say I'm too disappointed. Sure it sucks to lose one of your best players, but his contract restructuring would have to be up there with Tom Brady's. That's just not worth it when he's not even a playmaker. As a corner, when he's at his best, all he does is block a portion of the field off for the quarterback. The offense can just go the other way with the ball. Hopefully that freed up cap room will land some good veteran leadership in free agency. Rumors are that Asomugha might be joining up with Revis Island in NY. Imagine that fuckin combo. Hope you've got a good tight end and a run game.

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-01-12 11:05:34

At 1/12/11 08:05 AM, michelinman wrote: Rumors are that Asomugha might be joining up with Revis Island in NY. Imagine that fuckin combo. Hope you've got a good tight end and a run game.

I highly doubt that Asomugha would end up with the Jets, they have spent a whole lot of money on Cromartie and Kyle Wilson, I don't think they want to give up those 2 and a lot of cash for 1 player. Someone who is more than willing to do just that would be Snyder and the Redskins, considering the fact that their pass defense was horrible and Snyder loves to spend a massive amount of money on star players. Wouldn't surprise me if Asomugha ends up in a Redskins uniform next season.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-01-13 16:00:18

Well hopefully this next week in the playoffs will be more kind and plus I really need to bounce back from last week's sup-par performance. Anyway here are my picks:

BAL v. PIT: Steelers
With Pittsburgh's high powered offense the way it is play right now it would be hard to see them lose this one. But also Baltimore has one of the top rated defenses in the NFL so things could go either way. But I see the Steelers winning in a hard fought match.

NYJ v. NE: Patriots
This one should be a pretty easy one for Brady and the Patriots. But also everybody thought that their road would have ended a week ago but yet they are still standing tall. So it could go either way. could be a completely offensive game and be a blowout for the Patriots or could be a hard fought game with the Patriots coming out the victors in this one.

GB v. ATL: Falcons
Being probably the best performing team in the NFL the Falcons are coming out on top of this one for sure. Depending on which version of the Packers decides to show up will also decide how hard they will have to work for it.

SEA v. CHI: Seahawks
Will pick them for the upset. But didn't think they where all that good in the season but yet here they stand in the second week of the playoffs. They have a tremendous drive and will to win on that team and will have to do everything they can to win against a very strong Bears team.

BBS Signature

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-01-13 17:08:49

Well, Kyle Williams got the Pro Bowl nod now that Seymour is out with an injury

Not the best way to get in, but he deserves it none the less.

As far as playoffs go I'm figuring Pittsburgh is going to beat Baltimore in the playoffs like they have done many times over the last few years. The Pats will make mincemeat out of a cocky yet overall inadequate Jets team. The Seahawks will most likely end up going down unless they play a Bears team that simply isn't ready to play up to par. Finally, Green Bay is gonna take out Atlanta in a big rematch, I have no doubt they can do it, they just need to stay out of turnover trouble.

Response to American Football Discussion 2011-01-13 17:56:21

My response to people liking college football: *mimics jacking off, yawns*

Then again my school is only D-I with hockey and basketball, so meh...but even then I don't really watch 'em. It's nice if you're personally involved or know someone who is, but I'd just rather watch professionals do it. I'll watch cfb here and there but the BCS system and the inordinate amount of bowl games kind of kills it for me.

At 1/12/11 08:05 AM, michelinman wrote: Asomugha is rolling out of Oakland as a free agent. As a Raiders fan, I can't say I'm too disappointed. Sure it sucks to lose one of your best players, but his contract restructuring would have to be up there with Tom Brady's. That's just not worth it when he's not even a playmaker. As a corner, when he's at his best, all he does is block a portion of the field off for the quarterback. The offense can just go the other way with the ball. Hopefully that freed up cap room will land some good veteran leadership in free agency. Rumors are that Asomugha might be joining up with Revis Island in NY. Imagine that fuckin combo. Hope you've got a good tight end and a run game.

No one said Aso is leaving...his contract was voided based on ridiculous performance incentives that weren't met and couldn't have been met given that no QBs toss the ball to the man he's covering. I'm hoping ol' Al has enough sense to re-sign him to a long-term deal, and you have to imagine no team is going to pay him as royally as we will...I mean, he's been making franchise QB money the past few years ($14-17 million)...it'd be better if we could get him on a 5-year deal with big money, but a large chunk of it in the signing bonus so we don't have to strain ourselves under a new CBA cap by paying an exorbitant amount to one defensive player...from what I read Aso made seven times (7x) the amount a normal NFL player at his position makes in the past year. Good for him, but we need that money to spread around and pick up guys for the O-Line, D-Line (re-signing Seymour), ILBs and safeties (less Stanford Routt & Chris Johnson & Michael Huff please).

The Jets rumors have been around for over a year, as well...he'd do better than Revis-Cromartie, but both Revis and Aso play the same type of blanket coverage so a good safety or two would be needed. Sick tandem though, but fuck the Jets twice more than normal if that happens.

If he does leave though...I'd like to see him on the Ravens.

BBS Signature