00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Someone gifted lok supporter status!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How do you get people to listen?

1,133 Views | 13 Replies

How do you get people to listen? 2009-07-15 13:16:40

I've been making music since 2007, I have always uploaded my music here but I never get many listens at all for my songs.

My new song "The World" only had 50 or so listens for 2 days :/ And what's really strange is that only a few people will vote. When they vote, they usually give me a high score, but then someone 0 bombs it and it goes from a 4.56 to a 3.98...

This is not a 0 bomb complaint, because I know that it is normal here. What I don't understand is how many producers here get alot of views and votes. What do you do? I see songs that didn't even make it to top 5 and have more listens than any of my songs.
Is there some way I could get more people to listen to my music?

Response to How do you get people to listen? 2009-07-15 13:18:41

general advestising, getting featured in a flash, writing lots of 10 reviews

Response to How do you get people to listen? 2009-07-15 13:18:46

Review other people's music. Not one liners.

Post in the BBS.

Become part of the community.

..............The Guide to Newgrounds Audio

Latest Track: Phoenix

BBS Signature

Response to How do you get people to listen? 2009-07-15 13:26:36

At 7/15/09 01:18 PM, TMM43 wrote: Review other people's music. Not one liners.

Post in the BBS.

Become part of the community.

Thanks for the tip/suggestion. Will do!

I don't want false exposure, such as just voting 5 and reviewing a 10 on peoples music. It just doesn't feel right to me.

Response to How do you get people to listen? 2009-07-15 13:27:41

Just be kind to other people and write reviews on their songs. And don't just write one liners like the person above me said (don't remember his name :P), but good, critical reviews. And with critical i don't mean offensive, but constructive. Also, read this.

BBS Signature

Response to How do you get people to listen? 2009-07-15 14:51:58

At 7/15/09 01:27 PM, MH16 wrote: Just be kind to other people and write reviews on their songs. And don't just write one liners like the person above me said (don't remember his name :P), but good, critical reviews. And with critical i don't mean offensive, but constructive. Also, read this.

and this.

Response to How do you get people to listen? 2009-07-15 14:54:33

tell me what Audio you used to make this?

Response to How do you get people to listen? 2009-07-15 14:57:56

At 7/15/09 02:54 PM, MonkeyInTheCloset wrote: tell me what Audio you used to make this?

What?

Response to How do you get people to listen? 2009-07-15 15:03:33

Here's a solution:
You post into Advertisement thread, you team up with someone for "The Power of Three", you write reviews (nice ones) and some people might check back on your music.

Or you can make a big banner with "Listen to my music FREE !!!" and put it on your house, then put some loud speakers on your window and pump your music 24/24 until police take you.

that was a joke, a quite bad one...

Response to How do you get people to listen? 2009-07-15 15:06:32

At 7/15/09 03:03 PM, sorohanro wrote:

Wait...I'm NOT supposed to do that?

..............The Guide to Newgrounds Audio

Latest Track: Phoenix

BBS Signature

Response to How do you get people to listen? 2009-07-15 15:13:59

Build up a fan base. You'll always get an automatic 100+ views if you have a larger fan base. Also, with your fan's give them a friendly pm asking if they want an update if you're finished with a new song (DONT SPAM THEM EVERYTIME YOU MAKE ONE UNLESS THEY WANT IT, IT'S FUCKING ANNOYING, I GET LIKE 4 A DAY.)

Also, utilize the front page news post option in your news posts. Make a flashy title like "Awesome New song out!" and put it as a front page post, that should get any audio goers to zoom to your page pretty quickly.

Or make one smash hit that everyone likes so that you automatically get everything thinking every one of your songs will just be a remix of that song regardless of how long ago it was. *Sigh*

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to How do you get people to listen? 2009-07-15 15:30:50

At 7/15/09 03:03 PM, sorohanro wrote:
Or you can make a big banner with "Listen to my music FREE !!!" and put it on your house, then put some loud speakers on your window and pump your music 24/24 until police take you.

You made me laugh.

Response to How do you get people to listen? 2009-07-15 16:26:25

50 listens on a song would be fucking great for me. Takes a long time to accumulate even that much.

I too leave plenty of constructive reviews (not ll of them gushing with praise), and try to bond with the community (I think that is VERY important), but that doesn't quite correlate with views/votes/reviews.

So, I don't know what to say, other than do what ya do, and see what happens. A lot of my songs aren't the type to be 'crowd-pleasing' anyway, so that's expected.

If you try to make popular music, you can get some notoriety (like: make a lame trance remix of a video-game song. Never fails. Or even better yet, you 'update' a classic video-game song, doing n0thing to it but adding different instrumentation. hoo boy that pisses me off.), but I think you'll suffer as a musician because of it.

If you think you might have secret information listening to me, you're lost.

~Morton Feldman

Click on ROGA'S for a good time.

BBS Signature

Response to How do you get people to listen? 2009-07-15 16:59:02

check the link MICHhimself posted earlier.

Wakka wakka