00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

1279087570 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

SF Collab, Power of Three Teams

39,973 Views | 220 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to SF Collab, Power of Three Teams 2009-05-20 21:21:29

At 5/19/09 05:56 PM, TomFulp wrote: Please do not submit a team application unless two of your team members have won awards on Newgrounds.

Way to be elitist Tom. Just when i feel like this power of three thing is a great example of NG, you go and do this.

You know better than anyone else that there are tons of great flashes that get missed and never get awards.

You might as well rename this event "The power of popularity on Newgrounds."

Fear Popo Bawa!!!

John Goodman | ¥

while(<>){chomp;print;}

Response to SF Collab, Power of Three Teams 2009-05-20 21:34:43

hear hear

go to my deviantart page for sweet stuff. REALLY REALLY AWESOME I promise

Response to SF Collab, Power of Three Teams 2009-05-20 21:35:47

I am a programmer, looking for a team!
I have no medals, only one shitty game, but I can do better than that.
>:O

Response to SF Collab, Power of Three Teams 2009-05-20 21:51:19

Hey any one in Dallas that does Music? My team needs a musician!!! PM me Please

Response to SF Collab, Power of Three Teams 2009-05-20 21:57:38

I'm a programmer. With portal awards. <_< >_> <_<

Response to SF Collab, Power of Three Teams 2009-05-20 22:04:24

At 5/19/09 05:56 PM, TomFulp wrote: Please do not submit a team application unless two of your team members have won awards on Newgrounds.

How can we tell if the audio artist has won an award? It doesn't show up on their page. Also, does this new qualification kick out the people that have entered that don't pass this qualification? Or would they get replaced by a team that fits the qualification when they enter. I would have entered sooner, but I didn't want to apply until I found a programmer.

I have a Twitter that I link to everywhere. ;)

BBS Signature

Response to SF Collab, Power of Three Teams 2009-05-20 23:08:06

At 5/20/09 09:21 PM, Sterance wrote: Way to be elitist Tom. Just when i feel like this power of three thing is a great example of NG, you go and do this.

You know better than anyone else that there are tons of great flashes that get missed and never get awards.

Nothing is stopping you from continuing to form a team and make a game.

Of course there are flashes that get missed. But this isn't as simple as featuring something on the front page. When you have an event like this with limited scope you need some form of proof of entry, some kind of cut-off line. I don't think Tom has the time to manually review each flash submission from each questionable applicant.

So create your game, and make it good! And next time something like this comes around you'll have something to show. This power of three thing shouldn't be the only thing fueling your interest in making quality flash.

BBS Signature

Response to SF Collab, Power of Three Teams 2009-05-20 23:33:02

Kind of seems unfair that some people are on multiple teams while a lot of others are rejected. I sent in my application with a few images of the art style in the game, but I don't have much of a submission background.

If only the Art Portal was up...

I'd be drowning in awards by now

|_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_|

Response to SF Collab, Power of Three Teams 2009-05-21 01:12:06

I had a couple people approach me to be their artist for this event, and all of them abandoned the project for their own personal reasons.

Even before this event was announced I have been extremely eager to collab with someone on a game. If ANYBODY still needs an artist, you can count on me to give it my all. I have tons of art samples on bogleech.com or you can look at my more recent NG stuff.

I should mention however that monster design is the only strong point I really have. If it involves monsters, I'll enjoy it.

Response to SF Collab, Power of Three Teams 2009-05-21 01:56:36

At 5/20/09 11:33 PM, Fleshlight wrote: Kind of seems unfair that some people are on multiple teams while a lot of others are rejected. I sent in my application with a few images of the art style in the game, but I don't have much of a submission background.

I didnt *take* anyone elses spot. II was doing those games wether its part of the power of 3 or not. I dont get bent out of shape or dejected at the fact i dont see my name on an ugly team roster (sorry tom, that page is ugly and you know it.)

I think Afro-ninja said it more eloquently but nothing is stopping you from forming a team of 3 and going on with it as if you are part of the project. I'm SURE people are going to drop like flies when the actual work comes into play. Its all fun to make teamz and shit but its entirely different matter to sit down plan things out and get in the trenches. SO for the sake of keeping morale and excitement up, the team roster page tends to have mostly heavyweights. Thats not to say you cant get your team of 3 or you should slit your wrists.. there simply had to be a cutoff somewhere and that somewhere is now.

He could make continuous updates to the roster list from here till september but what good does that do when he could go back to working on pico's school 2. or ng chat!

None

BBS Signature

Response to SF Collab, Power of Three Teams 2009-05-21 01:59:59

At 5/20/09 11:08 PM, Afro-Ninja wrote:
At 5/20/09 09:21 PM, Sterance wrote: Way to be elitist Tom. Just when i feel like this power of three thing is a great example of NG, you go and do this.

Nothing is stopping you from continuing to form a team and make a game.

Of course there are flashes that get missed. But this isn't as simple as featuring something on the front page. When you have an event like this with limited scope you need some form of proof of entry, some kind of cut-off line. I don't think Tom has the time to manually review each flash submission from each questionable applicant.

So create your game, and make it good! And next time something like this comes around you'll have something to show. This power of three thing shouldn't be the only thing fueling your interest in making quality flash.

Good point. I realize that I can still find an artist and a musicy person and make a game; i actually have already done this for a project i started about a month ago (well before the power of three thing).

I guess I should clarify. In the past, anyone could enter and win any of the contests NG has had. there seemed to be an emphasis on welcoming new flash artists to learn and grow. The power of three dealy seemed to be the perfect example of inviting flash users to come together and grow.

Tom adding the prereq of an award changes the whole face of things; now its about well skilled flash artists showing off their skills. i was pissed because the event seemed to be about focusing on community, but i was wrong. my bad

Fear Popo Bawa!!!

John Goodman | ¥

while(<>){chomp;print;}

Response to SF Collab, Power of Three Teams 2009-05-21 02:04:12

At 5/21/09 01:59 AM, Sterance wrote: Tom adding the prereq of an award changes the whole face of things; now its about well skilled flash artists showing off their skills. i was pissed because the event seemed to be about focusing on community, but i was wrong. my bad

Its still about community and you can still be part of the project. You simply have to prove yourself now, just as you have to prove yourself everytime you submit a game/animation to the portal. This whole site is based on proving yourself ... if i was you id just continue on with your idea and team.

Its not like Tom or anyone is going to stop you from working on it. I predict as some team's flake out, others that have been going strong can jump in and fill gaps. That is where you make your grand enterance

None

BBS Signature

Response to SF Collab, Power of Three Teams 2009-05-21 03:01:30

lmao, stupid noobies without portal awards

Response to SF Collab, Power of Three Teams 2009-05-21 03:37:01

My question is, ca the teams already approved that don't have awards be kept there if they show promising art/engine samples?

Response to SF Collab, Power of Three Teams 2009-05-21 03:43:54

Our submission was sent last night. Myself and Night-Mare have won awards, and the musician, Nal1200, is very popular on the audio portal, so fingers crossed we make the cut.

We would've sent ours through sooner but we thought we had three weeks to get ourselves together? I hope we're not rejected for not sending our application right away.

Response to SF Collab, Power of Three Teams 2009-05-21 04:55:11

I think its unfair.. all the best animatiors and programmers and such in one team.. and all the sucky one si another.. unfair..

Response to SF Collab, Power of Three Teams 2009-05-21 05:19:57

I hope so as well. I have an award-winning team assmebled, but we're currently working on another project.

I'd like to see how that one finishes up before we apply.

BBS Signature

Response to SF Collab, Power of Three Teams 2009-05-21 05:30:27

At 5/21/09 04:55 AM, MegaSwedenBoT wrote: I think its unfair.. all the best animatiors and programmers and such in one team.. and all the sucky one si another.. unfair..

They're humans aren't they? Then it IS fair. They didn't become so good by sitting drooling at good artists saying they would never become good.

And remember, graphics and programming aren't everything.

Response to SF Collab, Power of Three Teams 2009-05-21 07:04:57

Here is a preview copy and paste from what I'll be posting later this afternoon:

---

Yesterday I mentioned that future teams should have at least two award winning members on them. This upset some NG upstarts who want their chance to play with the big dawgs. What everyone needs to understand is that for every team submission I get, there are another 20 PMs from people trying to form teams, asking questions about teams, etc. My big fear is that too many non-serious teams will consume my energy all summer, when I want that energy to go into promoting and supporting the teams who are serious and made up of long-time members of the community.

HOWEVER, if you really have a serious team with serious talent, you are still welcome to apply. At the least, I'll ask that each member has a SUBMISSION on Newgrounds and that you have made the effort to upload user icons and post on your blogs (so I can find your user icon).

---

I don't want anyone to feel snubbed and call this an elitist event. So far I have added every team application to the roster. Just be aware that some of the teams that seem least likely to actually make anything are already the ones with questions, special requests, team problems, etc. There are over 100 people on that list who have been long-time NG contributors, so if you think focusing efforts on 100 of NG's best and brightest is a popularity contest, well SORRY.

My main goal is to make sure no good games slip through the cracks and they all get lots of attention. This summer will be the true filter and determine which games will ultimately get the most spotlight. Even if a team misses the team submission deadline, if they still manage to make an awesome game under the Power of Three guidelines, they could still earn a spot in the event as late-comers. Similarly, teams that get stuck in the mud may find themselves off the list midway through.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to SF Collab, Power of Three Teams 2009-05-21 07:14:30

Thats a big ol post, Tom Flup

Response to SF Collab, Power of Three Teams 2009-05-21 07:22:36

At 5/21/09 07:04 AM, TomFulp wrote: I don't want anyone to feel snubbed

"snubbed"? lol, i gotta start using that word, it's brilliant! :D

Wakka wakka

Response to SF Collab, Power of Three Teams 2009-05-21 08:15:27

How are games going to be promoted, exactly?

BBS Signature

Response to SF Collab, Power of Three Teams 2009-05-21 09:50:50

At 5/21/09 07:04 AM, TomFulp wrote: HOWEVER, if you really have a serious team with serious talent, you are still welcome to apply.

COOL.

BTW IM STILL LOOKING FOR TEAMATES/TEAMS TO JOIN.

None

BBS Signature

Response to SF Collab, Power of Three Teams 2009-05-21 10:37:36

It's these sort of posts I can't be bothered to read and then see lots of people replying saying something that has everything to do with it.

BBS Signature

Response to SF Collab, Power of Three Teams 2009-05-21 10:38:40

yes! I can't wait to see xionico's game, that is if he finds a programmer or musician

Animation is both a pain and a pleasure.

Response to SF Collab, Power of Three Teams 2009-05-21 11:30:46

Hey kids, how about writing a couple blog posts and actually adding an avatar and banner to your userpages before complaining about being ignored? Seriously, when I was looking on newgrounds for coders, I didn't pay any attention to anyone who's userpage looks like they just registered yesterday... and neither will Tom Fulp or anyone else.

I'm at work so all I can draw with is MS paint and a mouse:

Response to SF Collab, Power of Three Teams 2009-05-21 12:28:06

no i need to team up with two other plp who have awards.......it's not easy being new

BBS Signature

Response to SF Collab, Power of Three Teams 2009-05-21 12:31:01

At 5/21/09 07:04 AM, TomFulp wrote: HOWEVER, if you really have a serious team with serious talent, you are still welcome to apply. At the least, I'll ask that each member has a SUBMISSION on Newgrounds and that you have made the effort to upload user icons and post on your blogs (so I can find your user icon).

This is fair and makes a lot more sense to me as criteria. I'm sure there is at least one team that would like this collab to be their first game, but i know 3 people working together can make a good quality short game to prove themselves first.

If you want to keep flakes out of this event (which is what i'm getting from your posts) than requiring a submission seems fair; flakes don't actually submit things.

And to reply to Luis, I will keep working on my next project. This whole thing just took the wind out of my sails right now. I also agree with you that NG is about proving yourself, but i would add that NG is about proving yourself to the portal. That's what i think NG is about anyway.

also thanks Tom and other mods for being cool and having a discussion

Fear Popo Bawa!!!

John Goodman | ¥

while(<>){chomp;print;}

Response to SF Collab, Power of Three Teams 2009-05-21 13:16:08

I really think lemon demon should be in this i liek his songs also jason steele but they're not the best here

Response to SF Collab, Power of Three Teams 2009-05-21 13:54:59

At 5/21/09 07:04 AM, TomFulp wrote: Yesterday I mentioned that future teams should have at least two award winning members on them. This upset some NG upstarts who want their chance to play with the big dawgs.

Why not use batting average to weed out the crap teams? Just a thought. ;)