00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Vocal Pack Remix Contest - Dj-nate

18,404 Views | 122 Replies

Response to Vocal Pack Remix Contest - Dj-nate 2009-04-06 19:36:35

It's all good man. Like.. I really don't mean to advertise here, but I need everyone to know what I mean.

Hear how the vocals are sped up to 170ish BPM? And how the vocals seem echoy? And how the melody is nothing like the original?

Trying to help some of you out ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Vocal Pack Remix Contest - Dj-nate 2009-04-06 19:37:47

At 4/6/09 07:22 PM, dj-Nate wrote: I've been hearing a lot of dry vocals so far. No reverb, no delay, nothing. It really takes away from the song. You guys can do anything to the vocals. Change the pitch if you want! Cut it, slice it, this is your track!

;)

Hey ive been doing that....(cries) T.T

Response to Vocal Pack Remix Contest - Dj-nate 2009-04-06 23:35:40

No youri not you lol. I hope no one is taking offense to what I've said. Just trying to help. And I'm not talking about any specific submission. Just some helpful tips ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Vocal Pack Remix Contest - Dj-nate 2009-04-07 00:59:48

At 4/6/09 11:35 PM, dj-Nate wrote: No youri not you lol. I hope no one is taking offense to what I've said. Just trying to help. And I'm not talking about any specific submission. Just some helpful tips ;)

phh... try being less offensive next time. just an opinion... everybodys human (except for that hen)

Response to Vocal Pack Remix Contest - Dj-nate 2009-04-07 01:57:54

I whipped up something in a couple minutes..

feel free to critique accordingly. I have no idea if I'll continue with this or try something different:

Linky

Response to Vocal Pack Remix Contest - Dj-nate 2009-04-07 12:42:06

At 4/7/09 12:03 PM, B0UNC3 wrote: Just a note to everyone. I just had a word with Rakshan and he doesn't want any remixes of "Rakshan - Electronic Bitch" to be made.

but I already made one...

Response to Vocal Pack Remix Contest - Dj-nate 2009-04-07 13:13:50

At 4/6/09 11:35 PM, dj-Nate wrote: No youri not you lol. I hope no one is taking offense to what I've said. Just trying to help. And I'm not talking about any specific submission. Just some helpful tips ;)

Yea i uploaded a demo and was told to add some delay, so i did.

Response to Vocal Pack Remix Contest - Dj-nate 2009-04-07 19:09:26

So I started working on a remix of Rise Again last night. Any feedback would be nice.

Also, this file size is looking like it's gonna be really huge... do you guys know if mindchamber or liljim would be willing to help me get it into the audio portal? I know they're pretty nice to flash artists...

quarl BandCamp

Response to Vocal Pack Remix Contest - Dj-nate 2009-04-07 19:19:53

At 4/7/09 07:09 PM, Quarl wrote: So I started working on a remix of Rise Again last night. Any feedback would be nice.

Also, this file size is looking like it's gonna be really huge... do you guys know if mindchamber or liljim would be willing to help me get it into the audio portal? I know they're pretty nice to flash artists...

lower quality now!

Flash artists work for the flash portal >8( We are the audio portal.

Slaves got no special treatment.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to Vocal Pack Remix Contest - Dj-nate 2009-04-07 20:01:33

At 4/7/09 12:42 PM, mikkim wrote:
At 4/7/09 12:03 PM, B0UNC3 wrote: Just a note to everyone. I just had a word with Rakshan and he doesn't want any remixes of "Rakshan - Electronic Bitch" to be made.
but I already made one...

lulz.. Nate has one already on the portal.. xD

At 1/16/12 03:08 AM, Xyresic wrote: EchozAurora: The SEXY Audio Mod. (2019 edit lol not anymoar)

Check out soundcloud.com/echozaurora for more recent songs and DJ mixes!

BBS Signature

Response to Vocal Pack Remix Contest - Dj-nate 2009-04-07 22:12:06

That makes me sad. I already made one.. Do I need to remove it? =/

BBS Signature

Response to Vocal Pack Remix Contest - Dj-nate 2009-04-07 22:33:55

Here's my entry!

It looks like a lot of people are doing You're My Angel, I was hoping the opposite :P

Oh well, can't blame anyone, it's a pretty cool song :D

Response to Vocal Pack Remix Contest - Dj-nate 2009-04-07 22:47:04

At 4/7/09 10:12 PM, dj-Nate wrote: That makes me sad. I already made one.. Do I need to remove it? =/

omg!!! you seriously did a remix contest for a song you didn't get permission to dissect???? omy god. I see legal probs hear.

Response to Vocal Pack Remix Contest - Dj-nate 2009-04-08 01:10:12

If I have time to make a song, then count me in.
I think im going to remix Guru Josh Project - Infinity.
It's going to be my first time using vocals so wish me luck xD.
If I end up not making anything, or dont submit an entry, then i might judge :D

Response to Vocal Pack Remix Contest - Dj-nate 2009-04-08 01:30:28

If I may, can I suggest something for future contests?

I love the idea of the contest, but I think it could use a wider selection of acapellas . Most of these vocal tracks feature girls singing one-offs, most with stylized autotuning. Great for electronic musicians, but not so much for anyone else. I know electronic/dnb/whatever is Newgrounds' shtick, but maybe next time some hip hop or maybe rock (a la Radiohead/Nine Inch Nails)?

Thanks guys, can't wait to hear the submissions.

BBS Signature

Response to Vocal Pack Remix Contest - Dj-nate 2009-04-08 02:14:47

At 4/8/09 01:59 AM, B0UNC3 wrote:
At 4/7/09 10:12 PM, dj-Nate wrote: That makes me sad. I already made one.. Do I need to remove it? =/
Since you uploaded it before I posted I'll check with Rakshan if he's cool with that.

The worst thing that can happen is that he want it removed, I highly doubt he'd legally pursue the issue (Since he knows me irl).

A question though, how many of these remixpacks are or were from label organized remix sessions?
I'm not sure that label acapellas should be allowed unless the label themself approved it as this is a competition where you actually win something.

pretty much what I said... :( the part about the having to remove the packs beacause it's not approved by the author.

Response to Vocal Pack Remix Contest - Dj-nate 2009-04-08 02:31:27

At 4/8/09 01:59 AM, B0UNC3 wrote:
A question though, how many of these remixpacks are or were from label organized remix sessions?
I'm not sure that label acapellas should be allowed unless the label themself approved it as this is a competition where you actually win something.

Yeah... As much as I'm up for free sampling.. remixing others' work and whatnot...

If you're doing an official remix contest.. one of the first thoughts should be to make sure that the things you are using are cleared or in the public domain. Personally.. I doubt many would care when random artists go off and remix songs unofficially and throw it into creative commons.. (which is what happens here pretty frequently.. and.. of course.. the rules can be fuzzy on that sometimes)

Buutt... considering you are supplying all of the packs.. and NG is offering prizes (even though.. yet again.. nothing crazy..) still though.. things like this should probably be cleared.

At 1/16/12 03:08 AM, Xyresic wrote: EchozAurora: The SEXY Audio Mod. (2019 edit lol not anymoar)

BBS Signature

Response to Vocal Pack Remix Contest - Dj-nate 2009-04-08 05:22:59

Well, this is a demo/WiP of my entry :P
It takes a while for the trance to kick in, so eighter fast forward a bit or listen to the whole demo.

The mixing may not be the best atm, but I will fix that when its finished.

Response to Vocal Pack Remix Contest - Dj-nate 2009-04-08 11:26:58

There's still alot of work that can be done but I'm not touching this until the controversy blows over. Also, the file size limit was breached. I had to degrade the quality of the mix and that made me very very upset :(

quarl BandCamp

Response to Vocal Pack Remix Contest - Dj-nate 2009-04-08 15:37:52

I didn't realize the legal repercussions this could cause.. I mean.. Why would the artists send their remix pack with WAVs and MIDIs into the web if they didn't want it remixed? And if it comes to it, should I perhaps remove the prizes, and leave only bragging rights as the prize? I don't want any issues here.

BBS Signature

Response to Vocal Pack Remix Contest - Dj-nate 2009-04-08 15:49:38

At 4/8/09 03:37 PM, dj-Nate wrote: I didn't realize the legal repercussions this could cause.. I mean.. Why would the artists send their remix pack with WAVs and MIDIs into the web if they didn't want it remixed? And if it comes to it, should I perhaps remove the prizes, and leave only bragging rights as the prize? I don't want any issues here.

It depends on:

1. The context you found the remix packs.. were they on a public domain? Or did you have to download them from a private server? Basically, could anyone get the files for free without having to do anything.

2. In the context of where you found the files, did providers of said files explain to what effect you could use the files? In other words, did they say you could remix them? If so, did they say how you could remix them, and if you could use the files for commercial purposes?

If they're on a public domain and royalty-free, then you're good to go. If not, then this contest probably won't be able to happen. :(

Response to Vocal Pack Remix Contest - Dj-nate 2009-04-08 16:18:22

At 4/8/09 03:37 PM, dj-Nate wrote: I didn't realize the legal repercussions this could cause.. I mean.. Why would the artists send their remix pack with WAVs and MIDIs into the web if they didn't want it remixed? And if it comes to it, should I perhaps remove the prizes, and leave only bragging rights as the prize? I don't want any issues here.

okay this is confusing... wow... really confusing... 1_337 8-|2-4-6-|-/V-6 rights for teh winne|2s

Response to Vocal Pack Remix Contest - Dj-nate 2009-04-09 00:20:05

Or we could stop everything..

Check to see if it's alright with the file owners for the remaining tracks...

And any that don't want to be in.. we can replace with other acapellas that are under creative commons or something similar.

Just a thought.

BBS Signature

Response to Vocal Pack Remix Contest - Dj-nate 2009-04-09 01:24:17

Well if it is still going down.

If it's not then it is a bootleg remix.

Response to Vocal Pack Remix Contest - Dj-nate 2009-04-09 01:50:16

BASICALLY, The audio portal was created with the intent to promote original music for the flash makers to draw from, rather than get in a "pickle" with copyrights, or free use questions. I've spoken with Tom regarding this contest, (and others like it) and really..the only music that CAN be remixed without any question at all, is newgrounders' music. There really is NO question there, under the "Share alike" terms. (WHICH ONLY APPLY TO NEWGROUNDER'S SONGS) <---that haven't used questionable non original material.
But the admins would rather not endorse contests revolving around unoriginality. There is WAY too much talent kicking around here. Not that the music most of you would create is unoriginal, but using acapellas, and midis....kind of supports a lot of the things we are trying to clean up.

I don't know much about where these sample packs, acapellas and such came from, but I daily ban people who use samples/acapellas that MAY or may NOT be "free use" etc. "soulja boy" acapellas being one of the biggies. haha. But there even was a Mariah Carey acapella in there.

The music they put it to was their own creation, but the sample/acapella was not, and the admins would rather NOT endorse non-original creations.

With people now questioning the contest and at a bit of a halt, this presents an opportunity to maybe PM Tom, give him the full details and ask if this should continue in this fashion. Or maybe morph into something else.

Anyways, I don't mean to rain on your parade...but maybe some of the hot band chicks are wearing white T-shirts.

BBS Signature

Response to Vocal Pack Remix Contest - Dj-nate 2009-04-09 06:54:47

bawwwwww the one contest I was interested in too :(

Acapellas create originality because you have to take something thats not yours and make it yours :3

Thats just my thought though.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to Vocal Pack Remix Contest - Dj-nate 2009-04-09 10:34:08

I'll give i ago, I have some Ideas for Rise Again.

BBS Signature

Response to Vocal Pack Remix Contest - Dj-nate 2009-04-09 10:51:56

Ugh... Until further notice the contest is off until I can figure everything out. Sorry guys.

BBS Signature

Response to Vocal Pack Remix Contest - Dj-nate 2009-04-09 15:35:04

Well, I don't see what the big deal is here. It's a remix. I can guarantee most of the stuff on the audio portal is created with preexisting samples anyway, and such is the beauty of house. A real DJ slams two tracks together, so what's up? None of this music is going to be for sale or even played in front of an audience. I've heard people covering songs on the portal, as well. My point? A remix IS your own original work, using somebody's work. In my opinion, this contest should FLOURISH without anybody reprimanding the remix artist. Keep contests like this alive, as it helps to promote a community-like stature in the portal.

People Die - Puget Sound Punks!

Response to Vocal Pack Remix Contest - Dj-nate 2009-04-09 15:54:02

One more thing. I understand that the artists of the particular samples don't want these remixes to be published. That's something we should all respect in the name of the creator. There's a simple solution to this.. don't remix vocal packs. Why not just create three riffs and use those for the remix contest? Easy enough...

People Die - Puget Sound Punks!