00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Xyphondevi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

L4d Survival Mode Footage

1,590 Views | 25 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

L4d Survival Mode Footage 2009-03-07 23:30:26

I'VE SEARCHED, AND NOTHING CAME UP. IF THERE WAS A THREAD ABOUT THIS, I'M SORRY.

So anyway, we're all excited for the upcoming L4D DLC that's going to be released this Spring. Yesterday, IGN released a video regarding such anticipated DLC.

If anyone has already heard about this, then whatever. Discuss. Brag. Punch a baby. I don't care.

Anyway, as far as survival goes, it's pretty obvious to what it was going to be. Try to survive as long as you can.. There's the time that records how long you've been playing, your team's best time, and endless waves of hordes and special infected ready to tear you to pieces.

Being the only video released (not that I know of) about the Survival mode, it's still not informative enough to answer all the questions.

Thoughts?

GT: Born2Evil

BBS Signature

Response to L4d Survival Mode Footage 2009-03-07 23:40:30

I ALSO APOLOGIZE AGAIN IF I'M NOT KEEPING UP WITH THESE NEW DLC INFORMATIONS.

Few more tidbits about the new SURVIVAL ONLY map called "Lighthouse".

This and this

Also this one seems to give you a bit more insight on the more structural design of the map.

BBS Signature

Response to L4d Survival Mode Footage 2009-03-08 00:20:55

So they give you the option to prepare before the attack. Definitely not my cup of tea, but I guess that's cool for those who are into strategy... which would be kinda few of the people who play Left 4 Dead I'm guessing. L4D is a game to get adrenaline pumping, so for me, this Survival Mode will not cut it.

I wish they'd give more support for offline play, like allow a single-player infected campaign mode. The AI would probably kick my ass though...

Also, I'm going with popular opinion and complain that they aren't adding any new campaign maps. While the four levels are fun for now, I'm sure I'd be playing the game much longer if they added just two more levels.

BBS Signature

Response to L4d Survival Mode Footage 2009-03-08 08:53:48

At 3/8/09 12:20 AM, Chumbawamba wrote: Some unreasonable stuff.

I beg to differ.

L4D is not some game just to get your adrenaline pumping. It requires strategy and teamwork with... well, your teammates. There's a reason they used 4 characters in the game- because playing alone will probably get you raped everytime. I'm sorry, but if you think L4D is just about running around and blowing up millions of zombies, then I don't think you're cut out for this game. Best sell it or trade it for a more ACTIONY game.

And no, single player special infected wouldn't work. The survivor AI needs someone to be their guidance. Which is why their free will depends on how you play. If all the AI are playing as survivors, they would just be idiots running around in one place because there's no one to follow.

BBS Signature

Response to L4d Survival Mode Footage 2009-03-08 11:47:13

Few more Survival mode footage on Blood Harvest and No Mercy.

BBS Signature

Response to L4d Survival Mode Footage 2009-03-08 11:52:30

Looks stupid as hell. You can already do this. It's called expert waiting in the safehouse for the horde to find you.

Response to L4d Survival Mode Footage 2009-03-08 11:59:27

At 3/8/09 11:52 AM, XxTheWorldIsYoursxX wrote: Looks stupid as hell. You can already do this. It's called expert waiting in the safehouse for the horde to find you.

NOT IN A SAFEHOUSE.

Plus, re-enacting a Survival mode is a stupid idea. The rate of hordes that would come every now and then can make anyone fall asleep. And in Survival mode, you're only limited to a certain area, as opposed the entire map in your disposal.

BBS Signature

Response to L4d Survival Mode Footage 2009-03-08 12:10:38

Oh man. That looks like pure chaos.

Want to play something or just chat? Click here. For all the daily shit that happens in my life, click here.

Achievement Whore Status: 47th place as of 05/18/09

BBS Signature

Response to L4d Survival Mode Footage 2009-03-08 12:46:25

And to think they could have put their time into making a few more maps, a couple of new infected, and maybe one or two new weapons, rather than adding on a not needed 'kill everything' mode.

Not impressed, would rather they had just worked on adding more content to do with what i bought it for

Response to L4d Survival Mode Footage 2009-03-08 12:48:23

All I can say is they better put some new acheivments in for this DLC, and I can imagine how they will be;

"Survive 1 hour on the Blood Harvest finale Survival map"

Fuck.

And if we run outta bullets? Heh, baby, they're gonna wish we hadn't....

BBS Signature

Response to L4d Survival Mode Footage 2009-03-08 13:11:17

At 3/8/09 11:47 AM, Bl00dRedKnife wrote: Few more Survival mode footage on Blood Harvest and No Mercy.

Wow, the guy who was playing sucked.

Badly

( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°) ( Í¡° ͜ʖ Í¡°)

BBS Signature

Response to L4d Survival Mode Footage 2009-03-08 13:17:34

At 3/8/09 12:48 PM, MasterBalls wrote: "Survive 1 hour on the Blood Harvest finale Survival map"

There's no time limit. It's all about trying to survive for as long as you can.

But there COULD be something like that that's close to your concept.

BBS Signature

Response to L4d Survival Mode Footage 2009-03-08 16:15:34

At 3/8/09 12:46 PM, slothfromabove wrote: And to think they could have put their time into making a few more maps, a couple of new infected, and maybe one or two new weapons, rather than adding on a not needed 'kill everything' mode.

1. They're releasing Source SDK so you can play all the maps you want by other people. Stop complaining.

2. The infected are already balanced as they are. We don't need two super powerful bosses. Stop complaining.

3. The weapons are already balanced as they are. We don't need missle launchers or chainsaws. Stop complaining.

4. IT'S FREE! Stop complaining.

BBS Signature

Response to L4d Survival Mode Footage 2009-03-08 18:30:15

Now I get to play sit in the corner with auto shotgun, terrible orange maps, same boss infected, and the same weapons.

Response to L4d Survival Mode Footage 2009-03-08 21:08:43

Well, I think it sounds like fun.

Hey guys, you should totally check out my YouTube channel.

Also, dat Steam

Response to L4d Survival Mode Footage 2009-03-08 21:15:50

Hmm i worry about new weapons and infected character. The most i know about the knew update is the lighthouse map, multiple tanks , possible infected combinations such as having 4 smokers etc

As for new weapons, it would be cool to have new ones, but if there arnt any, im cool with that
For new infected characetrs, people who play with friends already have plans with the current infected characters and having new ones would mess it up. Also it would be a question if there would be another player slot casue if there is still only 4 player slots per team but another infected class, you wouldnt play it all.

One thing I dislike about the current versus mode (infected team) once you start on a different map the assigned infected characters are based on who loads in the fastest will get smoker, then boomer the hunter. It just annoys me i get the same character everytime

Response to L4d Survival Mode Footage 2009-03-08 21:36:46

At 3/8/09 09:15 PM, animestan wrote: One thing I dislike about the current versus mode (infected team) once you start on a different map the assigned infected characters are based on who loads in the fastest will get smoker, then boomer the hunter. It just annoys me i get the same character everytime

It all depends on order, really. If two of you are dead, and the position of Hunter1 and Smoker is already taken, then whoever spawns first out of the two will take the Boomer's position, since it comes after the Smoker. Then the person who spawns last will take Hunter2's position. Then suppose the Boomer and the Smoker dies. Whoever spawns first will become the Smoker.

BBS Signature

Response to L4d Survival Mode Footage 2009-03-08 21:43:20

At 3/8/09 08:53 AM, Bl00dRedKnife wrote: L4D is not some game just to get your adrenaline pumping. It requires strategy and teamwork with... well, your teammates. There's a reason they used 4 characters in the game- because playing alone will probably get you raped everytime.

This is true, there is a certain pattern which goes with playing the game successfully. Team work is required to play through each level. However, the strategy involved with this survival mode is different than any strategy in either campaign or versus. It just seems like too much customization in order to fight against the horde, such as place gas tanks in just the right area, and shooting it off at just the right time. You can do that in the campaign as well, but it seems like that's what survival mode is completely based off.

It's not like I have to play it, but I wish Valve had focused on adding to the campaigns rather than create this survival mode which looks like it will get dull after a couple of rounds. From the looks of the videos, it seems like you're staying in one section of each level, but perhaps that's just the new Lighthouse map.

And no, single player special infected wouldn't work. The survivor AI needs someone to be their guidance. Which is why their free will depends on how you play. If all the AI are playing as survivors, they would just be idiots running around in one place because there's no one to follow.

I don't see what would be so wrong about giving them their own free will, or at least designate one as the leader. They do it with the infected, so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

BBS Signature

Response to L4d Survival Mode Footage 2009-03-08 22:13:40

Just bring Death Toll and Dead Air into versus with this update and I'll be happy.

Xbox Live Gamertag: POTM

BBS Signature

Response to L4d Survival Mode Footage 2009-03-09 07:12:06

At 3/8/09 10:13 PM, Hemlok wrote: Just bring Death Toll and Dead Air into versus with this update and I'll be happy.

That;s happening as well.

BBS Signature

Response to L4d Survival Mode Footage 2009-03-09 09:49:07

Looks pretty awesome tbh =0
damn you, now i cant wait D:

I hope they'll release new achievements too :D

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to L4d Survival Mode Footage 2009-03-09 11:24:52

What about on PC?

This too will pass.

Memento mori

BBS Signature

Response to L4d Survival Mode Footage 2009-03-09 14:30:37

At 3/8/09 04:15 PM, SloppyMoe606 wrote: 1. They're releasing Source SDK so you can play all the maps you want by other people. Stop complaining.
2. The infected are already balanced as they are. We don't need two super powerful bosses. Stop complaining.
3. The weapons are already balanced as they are. We don't need missle launchers or chainsaws. Stop complaining.
4. IT'S FREE! Stop complaining.

1 - not the same thing, I'd really rather not have to troll through a couple thousand duff user made maps to find something good when if valve did it I'd know it was quality from the start
2 & 3 - I'm not saying they aren't balanced, I'm saying it would be nice to have something else thrown into the mix.
4 - Yes, I know. However I can still have a preference and voicing that is allowed. Maybe you could consider to Stop Blocking Discussion

Response to L4d Survival Mode Footage 2009-03-27 20:28:03

FRICKING UPDATE

Survival mode announced to be released in April 21st.

About time they made another blog entry. It's been a while.

BBS Signature

Response to L4d Survival Mode Footage 2009-03-29 21:15:32

i hope theres more dlc coming for L4D
a good idea is to make the witch playable
that would be fun

Response to L4d Survival Mode Footage 2009-03-29 21:41:21

At 3/29/09 09:15 PM, punkmetalguy31 wrote: i hope theres more dlc coming for L4D
a good idea is to make the witch playable
that would be fun

oh yeah. so much fun to be sitting there and then if some idiot touches you, you can jump up and run and scream at them. SO much fun! :D (that's good sarcasm for you)

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature