00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ASexyMotercycleOmfg just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips

2,653,799 Views | 29,796 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-06-08 21:44:51

At 6/8/10 10:24 AM, LiquidOoze wrote: Another thing, how do you get the elevator to be popped up without dying at The Annoying Little Game?

Spam "E" and run around the place where the elevator should be. This worked for me twice, but failed one time as well...

Poorly coded game is poorly coded. Falling through the ground and getting reset to an earlier checkpoint... BAD.

The rainforest burns the same as any other forest.

Smith & Wesson, Curing the Blues Since 1864.

Have a hypothetical bucket.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-06-08 21:54:51

At 6/8/10 09:11 PM, KingExodus wrote: It's official. I am the first person to ever get 40k and 50k medal points.

I don't understand how you and greeneggs4spam have that many points... I have all the same medals except for Fig 8. (Professional) and Shift 4, yet you both have two thousand more points than I... Oddities that I assume revolve around the 0 point medals.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-06-08 22:29:15

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-06-09 01:57:25

At 6/8/10 09:54 PM, Mr-Contradiction wrote:
At 6/8/10 09:11 PM, KingExodus wrote: It's official. I am the first person to ever get 40k and 50k medal points.
I don't understand how you and greeneggs4spam have that many points... I have all the same medals except for Fig 8. (Professional) and Shift 4, yet you both have two thousand more points than I... Oddities that I assume revolve around the 0 point medals.

KingExodus cheats, that's how he has so many points; pay him no mind.

Also, I came back for a few hours to get a little over 2000 medal points this evening. Some notes:

Poison Gnome and 10 Large Gnomes medals are broken for me in Gnomergeddon. Mine Muncher took 9 of them rather than 5 (I was counting), and I didn't get Lil' Gnome Thumper until level 7 my second time through the game. I also haven't had any luck at all with getting all 10 jewels, because no matter what I do I can't kill the big gnome on level 3 to get the first one; he always leaves too soon. I did find that with my strategy the only things that were a threat were the stupid ankle-biters that always knock you down, so here's my strategy:

For small and medium gnomes, stand in one place with a poison weapon (as soon as you can get one, doesn't matter what it is) and just hack away until they're dead. For large gnomes, walk back and forth swinging, and they'll tend to swing in the direction you're coming from rather than the direction you're going. For miner gnomes, jump attacks. Ankle-biters get slingshots, and except for level 19 wizards get brute force. Level 19 caught me off guard, but I'd imagine you're supposed to use a slingshot until you get hit enough to rage.

Something else I noticed was that my kill/enemy ratio at the end of most levels said I only killed half the enemies, but I still got a time bonus. I suspect that kills via poison don't count for some reason, which would explain this odd behaviour as well, potentially, as the broken medals.

Also, what's a good level/strategy for killing 30 gnomes in a single rage? There never seem to be that many on screen at once, and they take too long to bolster their ranks for me to rely on a second wave coming in.

For The Annoying Little Game, the trigger for the bridge is RIGHT after the camera pulls back. When it pulls, you'll see the wheel not turning, so back up to your left a bit and take a running jump. I don't think I'll be chasing the perfect game medal on that one.

For Touch The Bubbles, I got 100k on level 17, and after practising that level a few times I got the no continues medal on my second playthrough. All that's left is bonus level 5 and the broken medal. Also, I got the 500,000 medal while practising level 17, rather than as part of an actual playthrough. So that medal is bugged. I'd love to know how people got scores over a million though, best I could do was over 800,000.

For Ryucopter, if you can make it to M. Bison only getting hit twice, he's a cakewalk. Obey the pattern, let your attack charge rather than always spamming it when you're out of juice, and you're good. What I did was go unhit except for the 4th and 5th bosses, which I just let pass. They can only hit you once, so after the other enemies are off the screen, just let them go and let your attack power charge. If you do it right you'll take 2 hits and have 5 left, and M. Bison goes down after you take your 4th hit. And the text at the end of the game made me spit my water all over my screen, not so much because it was funny, but because it was completely unexpected.

And now I return to my hiatus. Cheers.

Deploy the... it's a yellow button... it's usually flashing... it makes the engines go... whoosh!

Back my puzzle/adventure story mashup

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-06-09 02:06:41

At 6/8/10 08:08 PM, Mr-Contradiction wrote: For the FREAK:

Throw a fruit at him (E to pick up, D to throw, E to pick up your sword) then whack at him till he jumps away.

When he rushes you, sprint+jump to leap over him. Rinse and repeat. He will always jump to the side of the bridge that he was walking from i.e: if he was walking left, he will run left after his leap.

I did something else. It wasn't the right way, but it worked.
So I had a poisonous sword. First I hit him a time or two to get him poisoned. Then I threw some fruit at him, so he would eat it. After that, I hit him a few times. He jumped up, landed and did his run-n-cut attack from the right. I stood in the left corner. He stopped in front of me and hit me with his normal cut attack. It almost kills you, but fills your rage to the max immediatly. So I went into rage and hit him a few times. When he jumped up again, I ate some fruit to recover my health. After that, he did the run-n-cut thing again. I was still in rage, so I could still hit him. After that, I went out of rage again, and then repeated. I stood in the left corner and he did his run-n-cut, almost killing me and filling my rage and bla bla bla....

Also, why is the E key next to the R key?! I almost killed the boar, but when I wanted to pick up his spear, I pressed R! Damnit.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-06-09 02:39:35

At 6/9/10 01:57 AM, chris-marks wrote:
Poison Gnome and 10 Large Gnomes medals are broken for me in Gnomergeddon. Mine Muncher took 9 of them rather than 5 (I was counting), and I didn't get Lil' Gnome Thumper until level 7 my second time through the game. I also haven't had any luck at all with getting all 10 jewels, because no matter what I do I can't kill the big gnome on level 3 to get the first one; he always leaves too soon. I did find that with my strategy the only things that were a threat were the stupid ankle-biters that always knock you down, so here's my strategy:

I'm going to wait till the medals are fixed for that game before playing it again... It seems to be the most annoying of the 3 to obtain medals for.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-06-09 06:18:34

At 6/9/10 01:57 AM, chris-marks wrote: Random unnecessary shit.

Don't Listen to chris-marks, he cheats.

Glamorous.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-06-09 11:23:03

At 6/9/10 01:57 AM, chris-marks wrote: Poison Gnome and 10 Large Gnomes medals are broken for me in Gnomergeddon. Mine Muncher took 9 of them rather than 5 (I was counting), and I didn't get Lil' Gnome Thumper until level 7 my second time through the game. I also haven't had any luck at all with getting all 10 jewels, because no matter what I do I can't kill the big gnome on level 3 to get the first one; he always leaves too soon. I did find that with my strategy the only things that were a threat were the stupid ankle-biters that always knock you down, so here's my strategy:

For small and medium gnomes, stand in one place with a poison weapon (as soon as you can get one, doesn't matter what it is) and just hack away until they're dead. For large gnomes, walk back and forth swinging, and they'll tend to swing in the direction you're coming from rather than the direction you're going. For miner gnomes, jump attacks. Ankle-biters get slingshots, and except for level 19 wizards get brute force. Level 19 caught me off guard, but I'd imagine you're supposed to use a slingshot until you get hit enough to rage.

Something else I noticed was that my kill/enemy ratio at the end of most levels said I only killed half the enemies, but I still got a time bonus. I suspect that kills via poison don't count for some reason, which would explain this odd behaviour as well, potentially, as the broken medals.

Also, what's a good level/strategy for killing 30 gnomes in a single rage? There never seem to be that many on screen at once, and they take too long to bolster their ranks for me to rely on a second wave coming in.

it's weird that you would have the stage end and get a time bonus; that never happened to me. I never used the poison weapons either though since I think they suck really bad, so that could be it. The medals are actually broken though, so that's not just for you.

Anyways, I don't think you should stand in one place for the small gnomes. I think they die faster if you walk towards them when you attack them. Also maybe you're picking up the wrong weapons? In stage 2 you can get a sickle, and then in stage 3 you can get an ice weapon although if it's less than 10 damage I just start over or don't pick it up. Then I kept that until eventually (I think maybe level 7 or 8) one of the big gnomes has a fire sword that has 13-15 base damage. Then you can either use that the whole way through, or if the big gnome drops one of the big fire axes with 28 base damage that's my favorite weapon in the game since the knockback keeps you safe even though you can't attack as fast.

Also for the ankle biters, jumping in place and attacking seems to be a 1hit ko if I remember correctly. I found it better that way than just standing still and trying to time it anyways. Slingshots are still the best though.

I think I got the kill 30 gnomes in 1 rage in one of the later levels, but you could get it on an earlier one too. Just run around all day until it's almost over (I know it takes a bit, but just sprint jump away). Kill any anklebiters if there are any, but nothing else should be able to hurt you. Then get hit until you can rage. Then rage and kill everything.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-06-09 11:55:55

How the HECK do you get the medal for 'killing an entire level of Gnomes using the heads of other Gnomes'? You NEED to kill a Gnome to get it's head, so how wo you want to kill the entire level with it? Or is there a level with Gnomes that are already dead, lying at the start of the level?

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-06-09 11:59:24

O wait never mind. I didn't read greeneggs' guide yet :P

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-06-09 14:37:53

At 6/9/10 02:26 PM, Alex12345269 wrote: Didn't take too long to get the medals considering there was 1000 points worth. Great game.

Ya, I've them all except Blood Lust; no matter how hard I try I can never do it! Ah well, it's only 25 points!

~DeaPGalaxy

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-06-09 15:46:54

At 6/9/10 02:37 PM, DeaPGalaxy wrote:
At 6/9/10 02:26 PM, Alex12345269 wrote: Didn't take too long to get the medals considering there was 1000 points worth. Great game.
Ya, I've them all except Blood Lust; no matter how hard I try I can never do it! Ah well, it's only 25 points!

I modified greeneggs4spam's method a bit to get that medal.

1st level after king speech (same one that green used) EASY MODE.
- kill the first set of gnomes and pac men.
- grab rage orb, go up ladder.
- stand still till you get rage, run across roof killing all the gnomes. If your rage ends before you kill them all, restart and try again.
- slide down rope, get the health orb.
- get hit until you rage again, and ONLY hit the gnomes. Hitting pacmen will break the chain. You can try running around or jumping to get the pacmen separated from the gnomes.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-06-09 15:53:49

At 6/9/10 01:57 AM, chris-marks wrote: KingExodus cheats, that's how he has so many points; pay him no mind.

I don't really care if he cheats or not. What I was talking about is that he has 200 more points than me, but his profile shows approximately 2000 more points.
greeneggs4spam has 215 more points than me, and again ~2000 more in the profile number.

I just hadn't noticed until now that the numbers in the profiles are broken in some way. The only reason I can think of that explains this would be achieving the medals and then having them swapped to 0 point medals, but the points remain in the profile.

Either that or Shift4 adds a few thousand points for a Set Bonus to the total :P

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-06-09 15:54:08

Or you can go to the second level after the one with the roofs and wait until all gnomes spawn and wait until you get full rage and swipe away and if not sufficient kill the wave that is keeping you from exiting the shortest level in the game.

Glamorous.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-06-09 16:05:43

At 6/9/10 03:46 PM, Mr-Contradiction wrote: - get hit until you rage again, and ONLY hit the gnomes. Hitting pacmen will break the chain. You can try running around or jumping to get the pacmen separated from the gnomes.

pretty sure hitting packmen doesn't break the chain. I think the chain only breaks if you kill a gnome without decapitating him. I don't feel like making a new account to test this, but I'm pretty sure I killed a pacman in the middle of my streak when I got it.

But yeah, the get hit until you rage method works anywhere.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-06-09 16:49:19

So, the patterns for bonus level 5:

Everything's on an 8-turn cycle. In order to help visualize this, think of the level like a chessboard: the columns are a-j from left to right (since it's 10 across), and the rows are 1-8 from bottom to top. So the second square from the left, third from the top would be b5.

The pale green on the left goes up from a1-a8, and the pale green on the right goes down from j8-j8.

Just inside those, the orange blocks circle what's now the corners; first the bottom, then the top. So the one on the left will circle b-c 1-2 for 4 turns, then circle b-c 7-8 for 4 turns, and the one on the right will do the same within h-i.

The yellow ones at the top and bottom just make a circuit between the spots the orange ones cover. So one patrols between d1 and g2, and the other between d7 and g8.

The red ones on either side move in a zig-zag pattern. The one on the left goes down between b6 and c3, and the one on the right goes UP between h6 and i3.

That leaves a 4x4 square in the middle. The purple ones circle around that 4x4 square clockwise, and the final red block moves clockwise within the center 4 squares, but alternates whether it's visible.

The key to this level is patience; don't rush anything and plan ahead and you'll get it. I went down to the bottom, up the left side, across the top, down the right, and finished by following the red block up on the right.

Now to wait until the last medal is fixed, clear my .sol file, get it, and restore my .sol file.

Deploy the... it's a yellow button... it's usually flashing... it makes the engines go... whoosh!

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-06-09 17:30:02

At 6/9/10 04:49 PM, chris-marks wrote: So, the patterns for bonus level 5:

I've got a pic of this in my walkthrough that's kind of self-explanatory.

Anyways, I just got the medal for collecting all the swords, but i'm still missing the light-saber? Was using that method posted above where you just keep refreshing that same level that drops the special swords. I guess I refreshed too many times in a row, because I never got the lightsaber medal even though I picked it up. Then when I refreshed, it wouldn't let me load the page. Then when I played it later and picked up a special sword and got the collector medal.

So does that mean I have to delete my sol to get the lightsaber medal again?

Do not view my page, you will not be able to handle my avatar.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-06-09 17:31:42

@ Mr-Contradiction

Thanks, it really helped and I got it, I think it's okay if you kill the pac-men, I'm pretty sure I killed some anyways and I got the medal! Thanks again!

That's all of them gotten now! Onto another game! :P Easy 1,000 points get!

~DeaPGalaxy

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-06-09 18:08:59

At 6/9/10 05:48 PM, Alex12345269 wrote: Does anyone else find the Larry minigames to be way harder than Larry and the Gnomes?

That's because they are.. Much easier..

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-06-09 18:57:38

At 6/9/10 02:37 PM, DeaPGalaxy wrote: Ya, I've them all except Blood Lust; no matter how hard I try I can never do it! Ah well, it's only 25 points!

Grab any weapon and just use the jump attack. Not the running jump one, just the "SPACE, S one. This kills with a decap every time. You can kill pacmen and still get it, I did anyway. The earlier levels are easier to get this in. Even the giant gnomes can be decapped like this and count in the chain of 20.

Hope this helped!

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-06-09 20:05:45

At 6/9/10 06:57 PM, CTM222 wrote: Hope this helped!

Thanks, that should make it a lot easier for people! I added your tip to my walkthrough and credited you for it.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-06-10 01:52:07

At 6/9/10 04:49 PM, chris-marks wrote: The key to this level is patience; don't rush anything and plan ahead and you'll get it. I went down to the bottom, up the left side, across the top, down the right, and finished by following the red block up on the right.

What I did, is just move around in circles from the center to the sides. So In the beginning, you follow the red square, after that the pink square, and after that you manouvre through the rest of the blocks.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-06-10 02:30:13

At 6/9/10 06:57 PM, CTM222 wrote:
At 6/9/10 02:37 PM, DeaPGalaxy wrote: Ya, I've them all except Blood Lust; no matter how hard I try I can never do it! Ah well, it's only 25 points!
Grab any weapon and just use the jump attack. Not the running jump one, just the "SPACE, S one. This kills with a decap every time. You can kill pacmen and still get it, I did anyway. The earlier levels are easier to get this in. Even the giant gnomes can be decapped like this and count in the chain of 20.

Hope this helped!

Yeah, I figured that out on the last stage, I noticed the last attack of a regular combo sometimes swept his sword upwards, and that a;ways beheaded them, and I remember him doing the same when he attacked regularly. I got the 20 decaps and the no weapon medal on the same level :P.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-06-10 02:34:29

At 6/10/10 01:52 AM, LiquidOoze wrote:
At 6/9/10 04:49 PM, chris-marks wrote: The key to this level is patience; don't rush anything and plan ahead and you'll get it. I went down to the bottom, up the left side, across the top, down the right, and finished by following the red block up on the right.
What I did, is just move around in circles from the center to the sides. So In the beginning, you follow the red square, after that the pink square, and after that you manouvre through the rest of the blocks.

To pass that level I didn't bother tracking anything but the 4 central squares. The red block will disappear and reappear one block clockwise always. I would wait for the swap in the middle, go grab some bubbles, and return to the safe spot before the blocks swapped. All you have to to is remember to be more than 1 away from the central red block, and you won't die unless you move your mouse into a block while grabbing bubbles.

Saves memorizing complex chess algorithms...

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-06-10 04:37:16

At 6/10/10 02:34 AM, Mr-Contradiction wrote:
At 6/10/10 01:52 AM, LiquidOoze wrote:
To pass that level I didn't bother tracking anything but the 4 central squares. The red block will disappear and reappear one block clockwise always. I would wait for the swap in the middle, go grab some bubbles, and return to the safe spot before the blocks swapped. All you have to to is remember to be more than 1 away from the central red block, and you won't die unless you move your mouse into a block while grabbing bubbles.

Saves memorizing complex chess algorithms...

That's the same thing I did, although I would always start the map out with grabbing a couple of the outer lines and hoping I was quick enough to not hit a block before returning to following the center block around.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-06-10 10:11:10

I started in the middle, then did the purple, then worked my way around the outside. When you know where the blocks are going, the level's almost trivial.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-06-10 21:44:41

So I haven't been around much the past few days (We just had a baby girl a few days ago), but I was just checking PM's and have been asked about mystery points vanishing.

To MY knowledge, nobody on the staff has deleted any medals, but I may have an explaination.

Recently I launched a new beta for developers to add their own medals. These medals become instantly available, but require admin approval to actually be worth points. As some of you have noticed, some broken medals get retroactively un-approved and become worth 0 points, but what you may not know is that the developers and admins can actually delete and edit medals.

What may have happened is a developer made a bunch of medals worth high point values and realized they were too easy. Other possibilities are a few medals here and there got deleted so you may not have noticed a poin change since there is no longer any icon for that medal.

It's always a tough balance making an open system like this without occasionally pissing people off with points vanishing because developers may not be very cooperative in fixing medals, or others are trying to flat out abuse the system. Hopefully we'll get more and more of these wrinkles ironed out as things mature.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-06-10 22:42:23

Thanks for the info PsychoGoldfish. Lowering point values might be the most likely thing that happened since all of the medals still show up but everyone is having lower point totals now than they did before.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-06-10 23:12:26

I'll just leave this here

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2010-06-10 23:17:09

At 6/10/10 11:12 PM, chris-marks wrote: I'll just leave this here

Ooh, you can get even higher if you go almost straight across.