00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MiyuTheSceneGirl just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Useless reviews

3,353 Views | 35 Replies

Useless reviews 2009-03-05 00:12:55

Wasn't sure if there was a thread for this in another area as i haven't been here in ages.

I would like to point out a review by devon0917. He has given me a zero and has reviewed "too scracthy and a gay sound". I would like necessary action to be taken on this. If i'm posting in the wrong thread just redirect me please.

Member of the Newgrounds Chess Club W - 10 / L - 3 / D - 2

Compliments to Mr. Congeniality on the sig. =D

BBS Signature

Response to Useless reviews 2009-03-05 00:15:01

What's that? Not everyone likes your song? blasphemy I say!

But seriously, people say dumb shit towards your music- it's all part of being a musician.

www.macjams.com/artist/kgz (Download links)

Response to Useless reviews 2009-03-05 00:18:59

At 3/5/09 12:15 AM, KgZ wrote: What's that? Not everyone likes your song? blasphemy I say!

But seriously, people say dumb shit towards your music- it's all part of being a musician.

Agreed. Take the negative stuff with less than a grain of salt. Take the positive stuff and use it to help keep you making music.

Response to Useless reviews 2009-03-05 00:22:48

At 3/5/09 12:12 AM, CrUiZ3R wrote: He has given me a zero and has reviewed "too scracthy and a gay sound". I would like necessary action to be taken on this.

Currently, there's not much that can be done about it. :(

If you want to avoid these types of reviews in the future then I suggest you take these steps:

1. Use less scracthy
2. Don't use gay sounds

- :D

lolololol

BBS Signature

Response to Useless reviews 2009-03-05 00:23:07

At 3/5/09 12:18 AM, Gorgorothx wrote:
At 3/5/09 12:15 AM, KgZ wrote: What's that? Not everyone likes your song? blasphemy I say!

Agreed. Take the negative stuff with less than a grain of salt. Take the positive stuff and use it to help keep you making music.

I do. But its the principle of the matter that is at hand. I love making music. Is a fun thing to do. And no-one can take that away from me. But then these people just go around and bomb submissions from artists that aren't really well known. And this stops them from being known as well.

BBS Signature

Response to Useless reviews 2009-03-05 00:25:15

Cmon you're a tough guy you can fight it
DONT BE A QUITTER

Response to Useless reviews 2009-03-05 00:27:17

To be honest, the first review you got was way less helpful than what that guy gave you.

Response to Useless reviews 2009-03-05 00:29:38

At 3/5/09 12:27 AM, VegetarianMeat wrote: To be honest, the first review you got was way less helpful than what that guy gave you.

True that.

BBS Signature

Response to Useless reviews 2009-03-05 00:35:43

At 3/5/09 12:22 AM, LJCoffee wrote: Currently, there's not much that can be done about it. :(

If you want to avoid these types of reviews in the future then I suggest you take these steps:

1. Use less scracthy
2. Don't use gay sounds

- :D
lolololol

LOL LJCoffee FTW!!

Response to Useless reviews 2009-03-05 00:44:27

Response to Useless reviews 2009-03-05 00:51:46

be careful sdf that guy isn't fucking around

Response to Useless reviews 2009-03-05 00:53:27

At 3/5/09 12:51 AM, KgZ wrote: be careful sdf that guy isn't fucking around

i hopes not >: )

Response to Useless reviews 2009-03-05 00:58:29

Really man, you better watch your back - he have gun!

BBS Signature

Response to Useless reviews 2009-03-05 01:01:11

At 3/5/09 12:44 AM, sdfmusic wrote: On a related note: person* gets up in arms* about legitimate reviews.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/2 18181
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/2 18183
*euphemism

BAHAHAHAHA!!!
Seriously, that's fucking hilarious. "I officially hate you."
He ACTUALLY called you 'holmes'. Hahaha!
Oh man, I'm gonna cry from laughing so hard... XDDDD
I<3ppl

I make music.

You can hear my newest track here:

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/657049

Response to Useless reviews 2009-03-05 02:18:19

I've read some hilarious stuff lately.

"If you are giving this submission a low score, please offer constructive criticism that will be useful to the artist. The review space is not a place for you to act like a total asshole. If your review is found to be mean, offensive, or generally not helpful, you will be banned and your account may be terminated."

What?

Denny Schneidemesser, composer for Film & Media. www.dennyschneidemesser.com

Response to Useless reviews 2009-03-05 02:20:09

At 3/5/09 12:44 AM, sdfmusic wrote: On a related note: person* gets up in arms* about legitimate reviews.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/2 18181
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/2 18183
*euphemism

That is funny as hell! He doesn't know whatsoever how to take constructive critisism, and because of that, he will fail. He will fall off the mountain he tried to climb, which I would say judging by his music, is about 50 ft up, give or take.

Response to Useless reviews 2009-03-05 02:50:49

"Your reviews are worthless, holmes." As in Sherlock? Calling this guy a tool is being nice.

Lol... and sdf, those were actually well written reviews. He should be thanking you for taking the time.

Response to Useless reviews 2009-03-05 03:34:42

At 3/5/09 02:50 AM, Gorgorothx wrote: "Your reviews are worthless, holmes." As in Sherlock? Calling this guy a tool is being nice.

Lol... and sdf, those were actually well written reviews. He should be thanking you for taking the time.

Yeah, I couldn't tell I was reviewing the same person twice. I hadn't seen his response to the first review by the time I'd written the second. I feel kind of bad, but the guy clearly didn't read the reviews. He just saw "fucking sucks" and got super pissed.

Response to Useless reviews 2009-03-05 06:13:40

Yeah...

Might be though to see stupid remarks like that. And just plain annoying, Bút...

Aren't there a lot of worse things in the world than a shitty review from someone
who you obviously do not even care about?

well, with that being said i don't think you should spend a lot of time on reviews like that, everyone has gotten annoying reviews in their life, and anyone should, unfortunately, just let them go by.

Response to Useless reviews 2009-03-05 09:52:18

wow, I can't believe nobody has brought up the fact we have review moderators. And stupid ass reviews like that can be wiped out via sending pm to said review moderators.

If you know the reviews are useless or abusive contact somebody aboot it. Now I agree the OP's review can't be wiped because as harsh as it is, it still shares an opinion. He obviously thinks you should use less scratchy and less gay sounds.

But it's not a lie down and take it up the south with pole kind of deal.

gawd.

Response to Useless reviews 2009-03-05 10:27:15

At 3/5/09 09:52 AM, MaestroRage wrote: wow, I can't believe nobody has brought up the fact we have review moderators. And stupid ass reviews like that can be wiped out via sending pm to said review moderators...

Makes me actually wonder what the little yellow x is for within the review rating. I've seen users reviewing just with a single word such as "piss" and no real action was taken. I think as long as nobody enforces these reviewing rules no one will care about them anyways.

However, the opportunity to write an appropriate review response makes everything just half as bad.

Denny Schneidemesser, composer for Film & Media. www.dennyschneidemesser.com

Response to Useless reviews 2009-03-05 10:37:21

At 3/5/09 12:53 AM, sdfmusic wrote:
i hopes not >: )

My spider sense tells me there's an alt account here somewhere...

Response to Useless reviews 2009-03-05 12:20:44

At 3/5/09 12:29 AM, CrUiZ3R wrote:
At 3/5/09 12:27 AM, VegetarianMeat wrote: To be honest, the first review you got was way less helpful than what that guy gave you.
True that.

Apperently people hate bad reviews and good-written-contructive-criticsm reviews. And enjoy reviews like 'OMGZ THIZ IZ THEH BEST'. Now it's obvious when someone enjoys your music your happy, you made something with (hopefully ) some effort to make it enjoyable for others to listen to. And when somebody reviews it regardless if it's 'technically' a good review, and just points out the bad things and makes it sound like it isn't as a good as the song you hoped it to be, the one who made it, and put effort in it, probably is going to be offended really easily. I saw some good reviewers who stated good points and actually want to try to help the person got an abusive response saying it wasn't helpfull at all, and going all angry on him. Sigh..
The more experienced producer you are, the more you'll mind good reviews. The newer producers like to make something and expect evrybody to enjoy it because they spend 'so much' effort in it.
Evrybody has to learn someday or the other, and hey we can always say life's a bitc--- :D

BBS Signature

Response to Useless reviews 2009-03-05 14:04:06

At 3/5/09 12:20 PM, FlamingFirebolt wrote: Stuff of critisism.

I find it absolutely retarded that people would be offended by useful reviews. It's called a review for a reason. If you want to be a good musician, you need to take the useful reviews, and use it to better yourself. Even if the parts pointed out are bad, you don't have to flip out on the reviwer, that's also absolutely retarded.
Whenever I respond to a useful review, I go over what the reviewer went over, and explain why it was most likely why it was bad, then fix it on the next song.
IT'S NOT THAT DIFFICULT!!!

Response to Useless reviews 2009-03-05 15:06:15

sdfmusic, to be fair, your comments on that guy's songs were a little antagonistic. It's all about word choice and presentation.

Now if you don't want people getting all pissy over your reviews, I suggest refining your review style. I noticed in both reviews that the majority of the review contained no encouraging text. Only on the bottom of the review was there a little note of encouragement. Furthermore, words like "boring" and "stupid" and phrases like "it fucking sucks" are a major no-no in the reviewing scheme because they have bad stigmas attached to them.

Furthermore, you might want to encorporate more positive reinforcement into your review; tell them what they did right with the song. I would suggest devoting a whole section to that so that it's more noticable, instead of slipping it in between harsh criticism.

Using that method, I've managed to write some pretty damn visceral reviews and still walk away with the artist thanking me for the review. As your two reviews stand, they may be indepth ones, they may even be helpful, but they're way too verbally malicious to really stand out as great reviews.

Rofl the idea of reviewing a review, fucking amazing, right?

Response to Useless reviews 2009-03-05 15:12:47

Sorry for the double post, but here's the most important note about those two reviews: despite the little note at the bottom of both the reviews, they're essentially motivation killers. There's way too much negative criticism and not enough positive reinforcement.

Oh and OP, while that review is extremely retarded, at least it gives an opinion on the music. Namely that it's too scratchy and it sounds gay 8==B~~O-:)

Response to Useless reviews 2009-03-05 15:24:33

At 3/5/09 03:12 PM, blackattackbitch wrote: There's way too much negative criticism and not enough positive reinforcement.

I guess to some extent, but I'm the same person in every review I write, and the vast majority of people I write reviews for typically respond pretty positively because I offer up a lot of valuable, specific advice. This is the first time I've had someone who was really pissed off at me for a review.

When I review harshly, it means that the person I'm reviewing has a lot of legitimate potential that will be overlooked because of a few dumb things they might have done. I don't just go around finding the shittiest songs and writing asshole reviews on them because I feel like it-- that would be unproductive. A long review, completely regardless of the content, should be seen as a compliment, because it means the person took their own fucking time to tell you how to be a better musician, not because they wanted to embarrass you in front of your internet friends or whatever the fuck.

Serious fucking business the internet is.

Response to Useless reviews 2009-03-05 15:30:42

At 3/5/09 03:12 PM, blackattackbitch wrote: Lots of good stuff and:

8==B~~O-:)

Lol at that ''smiley'' XD

BBS Signature

Response to Useless reviews 2009-03-05 16:55:49

At 3/5/09 03:24 PM, sdfmusic wrote: Lots of stuff.

I completely agree. If the review shows ways to better yourself, then don't see it as offensive. sdf, the douche that you reviewed needs to get his head out of his ass, srsly. If he can't take constructive critisism like that, then he needs to quit as a musician, because he won't get anywhere like that.
Reviews are meant to be somewhat judgemental, it's meant to be critisism not a gay party where everyone goes "oh that song is awesome." It's meant to be harsh, and if people can't take it, then leave the AP, and quit music.

Response to Useless reviews 2009-03-05 17:23:32

Very good song! I like that kind of music!