00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Bam76pixon just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Sonic the Hedgehog

6,750 Views | 93 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog 2009-03-08 22:02:40

The plain and simple fact of the matter is that Sega is never gonna return to the old style of platform gaming (except maybe for handhelds). The sooner the nostalgiafags realize this, the happier they'll be in the long run when they move on to things that don't get them all buthurt.

When all else fails, blame the casuals!

BBS Signature

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog 2009-03-08 22:04:17

At 3/8/09 10:00 PM, Dragoonwing wrote: Guess what so did I and I still play the newer games. Despite playing his games for 15 I'm not going "Dur his old games are awesome while his new ones suck dur!"

I never said they suck, I just think that the classics beat out the new ones in this case. It's like making an awesome movie and then making several ok sequels.

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog 2009-03-08 22:08:55

At 3/8/09 10:00 PM, Dragoonwing wrote: Just like how Mario does something different in each game so is Sonic, only his changes are more radical than Mario's.

This is true, but I think that Mario was greatly more successful in spin-offs than Sonic. Mario is just one of those characters that has been successfully put into spin-off after spin-off, and most of the games are/seem pretty good.

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog 2009-03-08 22:13:28

At 3/8/09 10:08 PM, manonthemoon516 wrote:
At 3/8/09 10:00 PM, Dragoonwing wrote: Just like how Mario does something different in each game so is Sonic, only his changes are more radical than Mario's.
This is true, but I think that Mario was greatly more successful in spin-offs than Sonic. Mario is just one of those characters that has been successfully put into spin-off after spin-off, and most of the games are/seem pretty good.

Mario is an extremely versatile character. He's the Bugs Bunny of the video game universe. Sonic on the other hand is a blue hedgehog with speed being his theme. While he has been through a lot, as past games have shown us, he's not as versatile as Mario is.

BBS Signature

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog 2009-03-08 22:21:36

At 3/8/09 10:13 PM, Dragoonwing wrote: Mario is an extremely versatile character. He's the Bugs Bunny of the video game universe. Sonic on the other hand is a blue hedgehog with speed being his theme. While he has been through a lot, as past games have shown us, he's not as versatile as Mario is.

Exactly.

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog 2009-03-09 00:11:41

The next gen Sonic is "too cheap" almost all his 3D games are not as good as it used to be (also happens to Mario) well but i love the His World song

Do you want a hot coffee?

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog 2009-03-09 00:29:43

I consider my self a sonic fan, I've been playing since 1992! I can beat Sonic 2 under an hour, Sonic 3D Blast in 3 hours... I've beaten every sonic game to date expect Sonic 06, I gave up after 5mins of playing! It's amazing that Sega even considered putting Sonic 06 out let alone actually putting it out! They should have cut their losses, scrap it, and start over! I rather perfer Sonic not to speak, but if he must he should sound like his voice in 1993s 'Sonic the Hedgehog' (Satam Sonic) cartoon. And the green eyes have got to go. (black eyes)... I'd like to see how they'd render Princess Sally Acorn!

Also, when Sonic first came out he was suppose to be edgy, to apear to a older crowd! Mario is the 'Old, slow, plummer,' Sonic 'The Radical, crazy, Speed Demand.' Instead, Sinc Sonic when 3D Sega has been try to make it for kids 6 and under! Really.... >.<! New School Sonic sucks today because the game is not being built for the proper age group. Plus, the fans that loved Sonic back in the day have grown up now, moving onto more mature things... I think sonic needs to have more suggestive behavior/language (I don't mean curse words), some blood, and more epic battles!

how to make Sonic good again...
- Planet Mobious
- Nothole
- Freedom Fighters
- Dr. Julian Ivo Robotnik (NOT EGG MAN, WTF IS A EGG MAN!!!)
--- Quote: "I Hate That Hedgehog!"
- Mobotropolis\Robotropolis
- Death Egg
- Princess Sally Acorn (Srew that sult Amy!)
- Get rid of all the new characters (but Rouge the Bat can stay)

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog 2009-03-09 01:56:37

I have to agree with alot of people when they say Sonic sucks, because he does.

The old Sonic games when actually really good, putting Mario out to dry when it came to gameplay and graphic wise. But the next gen games suck (Except The Dark Brotherhood,though comepletly different, one of the best RPG'S of 08) and really all the shit I'm hearing about them are really puting me of getting any of the next gen games.

Stuff...

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog 2009-03-09 08:08:26

At 3/9/09 12:29 AM, KN-Productions wrote: Some much nostalgiafaggotree I think I may get sick from it

Never gonna happen, so take your Genesis and shove it.

BBS Signature

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog 2009-03-09 08:35:04

And this is exactly what the VG forums need, more whiney sonic fanboys.

We had some good times, Newgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog 2009-03-09 09:36:15

At 3/9/09 12:29 AM, KN-Productions wrote: Also, when Sonic first came out he was suppose to be edgy, to apear to a older crowd! Mario is the 'Old, slow, plummer,' Sonic 'The Radical, crazy, Speed Demand.' Instead, Sinc Sonic when 3D Sega has been try to make it for kids 6 and under! Really.... >.<! New School Sonic sucks today because the game is not being built for the proper age group. Plus, the fans that loved Sonic back in the day have grown up now, moving onto more mature things... I think sonic needs to have more suggestive behavior/language (I don't mean curse words), some blood, and more epic battles!

how to make Sonic good again...
- Planet Mobious
- Nothole
- Freedom Fighters
- Dr. Julian Ivo Robotnik (NOT EGG MAN, WTF IS A EGG MAN!!!)
--- Quote: "I Hate That Hedgehog!"
- Mobotropolis\Robotropolis
- Death Egg
- Princess Sally Acorn (Srew that sult Amy!)
- Get rid of all the new characters (but Rouge the Bat can stay)

News flash, going back to the past doesn't solve everything! Most of the old Sonic Team is gone so you won't be seeing anything from old school Sonic for probably the rest of your life, plus the thing that Sonic Team will ever coppy from our cheesy cartoons is Sonic's love for chili dogs, which was before the Satam Sonic. If you want a hybrid then read the Archie Comics, they're all you have. The new Sonic Team fixed things when they made Unleashed and Black Knight isn't so bad either. You Sonic Team you knew as a child is gone, accept it.

BBS Signature

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog 2009-03-09 09:41:12

At 3/9/09 09:36 AM, Dragoonwing wrote: Truth

Fucking thank you! :D If the discussion is to end here and this thread be forgotten, that would be awesome.

BBS Signature

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog 2009-03-10 18:14:08

At 3/8/09 02:37 PM, 51430 wrote:
At 3/8/09 01:52 PM, Talio17 wrote: Ya, but everyone who doesn't like it is screaming for SEGA to end the Sonic series. What about those of us who like Sonic? We don't want our favorite games ruined by someone else's opinions!
You have no idea what "free speech" is, do you? It means that anyone here can freely express their opinion, regardless of what you find to be offending. There are numerous people here that do not like the series, some do, like you, and there are others like me, who neither like nor hate it.

The good people here are simply expressing their thoughts on the matter. If you like Sonic, fine. But others will not like him, and there will be nothing you can do about it, so as I said, accept it and move on.

Besides, SEGA doesn't have to listen to any of these people if they don't want to. As I said, it's an opinion. Just because some of them want it shut down, doesn't mean it will happen.

That's not what I mean! With every person who says "Sonic sucks" SEGA gets one step closer to ending the series. I don't want that. Also, I'm tired of being marked for what games I play.

If at first you don't succeed, then you suck.

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was Chuck Norris? All of it.

BBS Signature

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog 2009-03-10 23:15:26

At 3/10/09 11:02 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote:
At 3/10/09 10:18 PM, SuperMarioBrosS wrote: Even if it means death, I'll never stop being a Sonic fan. That's how big of a fan I am.
You see, this is why i'm embarrassed while defending Sonic in a slightly intelligent way.

Yeah you're not the only one who feels embarrassed while defending Sonic and not sounding like an idiotic fanboy.

BBS Signature

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog 2009-03-11 02:11:59

At 3/5/09 11:45 PM, Dr-Worm wrote: You couldn't possibly be more wrong about why it is that people don't like Sonic. Allow me to explain:

See, the first problem is that Sonic Team has never quite figured out how to properly translate the series' trademark speed into 3-D, and each successive attempt to do so has been worse than the last for some reason. 3-D Sonic controls have always been very jerky, stiff, unresponsive, lacking in fluidity, and poorly applied to levels that are similarly not well-designed for 3-D. The gameplay often comes to jarring starts and stops in the most annoying ways possible, unlike the 16-bit originals, in which the sense of speed was only diminished by player error. All of this only got worse with 2006's Sonic game, which added myriad technical issues to the growing list of problems, the kinds of things that really should not be issues for a top-tier developer.

I never thought about it that way... I always thought that Sega had just ran outta ideas, I really did. My opinion was that Sega was getting dissapointed in sales and were unable to appeal to the old generation. This lead to the Sega team adding unnecessary things to sonic games that appealed to the newer generations (skateboards, swords, guns, transformations, etc) to remake the money.

But I like your idea better... ^.^

I can't tell if you're joking, because you never use emoticons. ~ SolidToad

BBS Signature

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog 2009-03-11 22:38:33

Good trolling, bravo.

BBS Signature

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog 2009-03-12 00:20:42

At 3/8/09 10:13 PM, Dragoonwing wrote:
At 3/8/09 10:08 PM, manonthemoon516 wrote:
Mario is an extremely versatile character. He's the Bugs Bunny of the video game universe. Sonic on the other hand is a blue hedgehog with speed being his theme. While he has been through a lot, as past games have shown us, he's not as versatile as Mario is.

Hes been karting, RPG'ing, sporting, platforming, returning.
Mario is just a character that works in all situations.
(Paper Mario)

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog 2009-04-26 00:54:00

At 3/6/09 10:49 AM, The-Great-One wrote: Sonic the Hedgehog is speedy gameplay, and gets boring... but that's just me.

It can at times. But sonic's a classic game. It's one of those things you can always go back to when your 100% bored out of your mind and all.

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog 2009-04-26 01:16:20

At 3/7/09 03:28 AM, JarrodK wrote: I wonder where they got the idea for Sonic Unleashed?

Hmmm, yes...

The Guy who couldn't be bothered to think of a decent signiture...

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog 2009-04-26 01:25:40

At 3/8/09 10:04 PM, manonthemoon516 wrote: I never said they suck, I just think that the classics beat out the new ones in this case. It's like making an awesome movie and then making several ok sequels.

Somewhat reminiscent of the Saw franchise.

The original Sonics were far better than the new ones.

That said, Sonic Heroes and I had a fairly lengthy affair several years ago.

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog 2009-04-26 04:34:23

At 3/4/09 07:05 PM, Talio17 wrote: two problems. that shitty next gen game was epically fucking awesome...

You do not make any fucking sense there.

BBS Signature

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog 2009-04-26 04:45:18

To everyone saying that the story has become better over the years: I don't give a shit.
Sonic games should not be about story, they should be about speed, platforming and cool graphics, none of which Sonic Team has pulled off well recently. If I wan't to play a game with a good story, I'll play Final Fantasy or EarthBound.

You defeated the post! Gained +1 post count!

My favorite site in the whole world as it is so effin awesome

BBS Signature

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog 2009-04-26 08:21:58

At 4/26/09 04:45 AM, lolmaster wrote: To everyone saying that the story has become better over the years: I don't give a shit.

Actually the story's good but they make the gameplay a bit too hard so that's what make it shit.

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog 2009-04-26 12:31:10

Maybe they could bring back the Death Egg?

Veritas est index sui et falsi. (Truth is the criterion of itself and the false.)

Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero. (Sieze the day; trust little in tomorrow.)

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog 2009-04-26 13:26:12

At 3/6/09 06:54 AM, Aci6 wrote: 'I thought I saw this tree earlier... are you sure we're not walking in circles?'

I had to put this back. It's truer than anything else in this thread.

NEWGROUNDS, people. Just bury this dead horse already.

NINJAR IS CREDIT TO SIG

BBS Signature

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog 2009-04-27 02:59:36

You know, Talio17? You are completely right about that, people shouldn't crack of Sonic games, because the suck at it or think it's unreal.

By the way... If it's unreal, have you ever seen a guy named Mario who is a plumber or something like that flying at top speed through the galaxy's, being launched by stars. Do you think that's true?

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog 2009-04-27 12:07:05

sonic games has gome really bad.in 2d it's is better.

BBS Signature

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog 2009-04-27 20:58:04

The last barely decent Sonic game was SAVB2 (Sonic Adventure Battle 2)
The chaos were amusing, for some reason.
I mean, do you really think shadow with a gun is cool?
Do you think a werehog is cool? I mean, Don't get me wrong, the most recent Sonic game's (can't remember the name) day levels were cool. I was like" Sweet, finally a cool Sonic game."
Too bad Sega thinks every game needs a completely new thing every game that always sucks.
The night levels on that game were horrible.

You guys are all real swell.

BBS Signature

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog 2009-05-02 17:22:07

At 5/2/09 02:02 PM, PSPownsMeself wrote: Lets not okay.

Yeah, way to revive an already dead thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog 2009-05-02 18:28:33

I'm an outspoken person against sonic. So let me shed some light on the other side.

Firstly, the newer games. Sonic and the Black Knight was a game with Sonic behind the sword, making the US Military go into Threat Level Red. It had stiff controls and pretty much raped the fuck out out of the myth. The Sonic Team has always, well since the introduction of 3D graphics, made choppy games that were just pure shit. They may have good graphics, but we all know the phrase 'Gameplay over Graphics'. But sadly, the fucktarded fanbase still eats this shit up.

That brings me to my next argument, the fanbase. I've seen Newfags, fucktards and furries. But these guys are Fucktarded furry newfags that think that they're so cool with their shit grammar, shit recolors and their shit fanfics that My Immortal can't possibly top in stupidity.

What a shame, Mister Jensen.

I never asked for this, Mister Denton.