00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

5Harkbait178 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NG Drumming Club

16,204 Views | 213 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

NG Drumming Club 2009-03-04 16:25:03

So this is a club for all the drummers out there on NG! Here I'd like to get an active community who can share ideas and create discussions revolving this beautiful instrument given to us from the heavens.

Those new to the club:
-Tell us about yourself
-What style do you play
-What kind of drums do you play
-Top bands/soloists that have influenced your drumming
-Any bands that you're currently/were drumming in

Me personally:
I've been drumming since I was 8 years old and am now 17. I started playing ska mainly, but grew to play jazz, heavy rock (double bass), funk, and much more. I taught myself to play the drums by playing behind the kit while listening to my iPod. I could honestly say the band Rx Bandits have taught me the more advanced technicalities I know use while playing. My kit is a Yamaha Rydeen and I desperately need a new one. I've been looking at the new OCDP Newport series and once I get enough I'm gonna try and get my hands on a pair.

Response to NG Drumming Club 2009-03-04 19:23:55

Did you just re-make this? Anyways... I posted in the last one... I was planning on buying a Drum kit soon, I was wondering if you could recommend something good, but on the cheap side. thanks.

[Last.FM] [Steam ID]

Bros 4 lyfe (he dun did dis sig)

BBS Signature

Response to NG Drumming Club 2009-03-04 19:40:44

At 3/4/09 07:23 PM, ironraven24 wrote: Did you just re-make this? Anyways... I posted in the last one... I was planning on buying a Drum kit soon, I was wondering if you could recommend something good, but on the cheap side. thanks.

Yeah I suppose it got deleted cuz I couldn't find it. I'm assuming it was a lack of an opening post so I tried to make some guidelines. But for quality with low pricing, I would recommend looking into some Yamaha or Gretsch kits. A lot are pretty low in pricing and still sound great for you buck. But in all honesty, I wouldn't buy a kit without trying it out. Take a trip to a Guitar Center and ask for a pair of practice sticks and jam away. Take note at what the drums are made out of (Maple, Birch, Mahogany etc.) and then from there try and find others with that same make up while considering your price range. Hope that helped!

Response to NG Drumming Club 2009-03-04 20:38:12

At 3/4/09 07:40 PM, Lkoz91 wrote:
Yeah I suppose it got deleted cuz I couldn't find it. I'm assuming it was a lack of an opening post so I tried to make some guidelines. But for quality with low pricing, I would recommend looking into some Yamaha or Gretsch kits. A lot are pretty low in pricing and still sound great for you buck. But in all honesty, I wouldn't buy a kit without trying it out. Take a trip to a Guitar Center and ask for a pair of practice sticks and jam away. Take note at what the drums are made out of (Maple, Birch, Mahogany etc.) and then from there try and find others with that same make up while considering your price range. Hope that helped!

It did thanks, whats considered cheap for a kit? I have about 100$ atm, Im guessing cheap is like 200-250$? I would also like to join if you dont mind.

[Last.FM] [Steam ID]

BBS Signature

Response to NG Drumming Club 2009-03-04 20:53:33

At 3/4/09 08:38 PM, ironraven24 wrote:
At 3/4/09 07:40 PM, Lkoz91 wrote:
It did thanks, whats considered cheap for a kit? I have about 100$ atm, Im guessing cheap is like 200-250$? I would also like to join if you dont mind.

...Yikes, I was considering around 500 for a cheap kit. If you haven't played drums and wanna get into them then just go for a cheap no name brand for like 150. If not then save up and get yourself a decent beginner kit around 500 like the brands I named. But yeah man you're in the club, just showing an interest is enough, it's here for discussion.

Response to NG Drumming Club 2009-03-04 21:00:13

At 3/4/09 08:53 PM, Lkoz91 wrote:

...Yikes, I was considering around 500 for a cheap kit. If you haven't played drums and wanna get into them then just go for a cheap no name brand for like 150. If not then save up and get yourself a decent beginner kit around 500 like the brands I named. But yeah man you're in the club, just showing an interest is enough, it's here for discussion.

Sounds good, thanks alot. Any idea on a good place to look for those type of kits?

[Last.FM] [Steam ID]

BBS Signature

Response to NG Drumming Club 2009-03-04 22:09:10

At 3/4/09 09:00 PM, ironraven24 wrote:
At 3/4/09 08:53 PM, Lkoz91 wrote:

Sounds good, thanks alot. Any idea on a good place to look for those type of kits?

I say take a trip to guitar center and try out everything there, then check out www.musiciansfriend.com to find the lowest prices. Otherwise I would just buy a used kit. Look up a couple through craigslist or ebay.

Response to NG Drumming Club 2009-03-05 12:08:34

Yeah, I posted in your last one too. Anyway, I don't play any certain kind of style. & I'm in middle school, so I'm just a school band drummer. :P

Anyway, some awesome bands that influenced me into drumming:

-Josephine Collective

-Underoath

-The Almost Southern Weather

-System of A Down

-A Vain Attempt

-Senses Fail

So can I join?

Liiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttlllllle Tiiiiiiiiimmy!!!!!!!!!

My GT: FriskiestStraw

Add me if you must. :P

Response to NG Drumming Club 2009-03-05 14:02:39

At 3/5/09 12:08 PM, little-timmy wrote: Yeah, I posted in your last one too. Anyway, I don't play any certain kind of style. & I'm in middle school, so I'm just a school band drummer. :P

Anyway, some awesome bands that influenced me into drumming:

-Josephine Collective

-Underoath

-The Almost Southern Weather

-System of A Down

-A Vain Attempt

-Senses Fail

So can I join?

Absolutely man. I was never into heavier music with screaming until last summer. I bought a copy of As I Lay Dying's newest CD (An Ocean Between Us) and I ending up loving every song on there. So that basically led me to listening to Underoath and they're up there on my playlist for songs to jam along with.

Response to NG Drumming Club 2009-03-05 15:09:47

At 3/5/09 02:02 PM, Lkoz91 wrote: Absolutely man. I was never into heavier music with screaming until last summer. I bought a copy of As I Lay Dying's newest CD (An Ocean Between Us) and I ending up loving every song on there. So that basically led me to listening to Underoath and they're up there on my playlist for songs to jam along with.

Kewl, I didn't listen to hardcore screaming music either until one of my brothers friends told him about some screamo bands, & then my brother showed some screamo to me. Now it's the only thing I listen to besides alternative or some other kind of kewl rock. :D

Response to NG Drumming Club 2009-03-05 16:31:59

I could honestly listen to anything now. I appreciate music so much more as a whole now, from rap to rock, I'm pretty much open to all genres.

Response to NG Drumming Club 2009-03-05 16:39:03

At 3/5/09 04:31 PM, Lkoz91 wrote: I could honestly listen to anything now. I appreciate music so much more as a whole now, from rap to rock, I'm pretty much open to all genres.

That's kewl, I like that your open to all genres. But with me, I use to listen to rap, but now that I don't, I don't know how I could stand it. Well, except for the band 3OH!3. :3

Response to NG Drumming Club 2009-03-05 17:28:15

I used to hate rap/techno/all genres that didn't have actual music. I thought i was stupid. But now I'm going into college with the notion that I might want to major in Music Technology. That basically involves using MIDI files to create sounds of actual instruments and the recording aspect of it. So I appreciate more how beats are composed and it's pretty interesting stuff.

Response to NG Drumming Club 2009-03-05 17:34:13

Kewl, personally, I've always liked techno, the sound of it always sounded so awesome. I'd have to say that my favorite techno band is Daft Punk. The beat & sound they can make while putting lyrics into their music is amazing.

Response to NG Drumming Club 2009-03-05 17:37:56

Dude that's funny cuz Daft Punk is up there on one of my tops. I really wish I made their 2007 tour. Would've been insane!

Response to NG Drumming Club 2009-03-05 17:46:21

Heh-heh, my friends' of my brothers are in a band called About A Hero, they're pretty good. Do you want a link to their myspace page?

Response to NG Drumming Club 2009-03-05 22:23:14

At 3/5/09 05:46 PM, little-timmy wrote: Heh-heh, my friends' of my brothers are in a band called About A Hero, they're pretty good. Do you want a link to their myspace page?

Sure man. While you're at it, check out my last music project: www.myspace.com/dukeandlan We're already broken up and gave up trying to find the rest of a band but it was just a 2 piece band.

Response to NG Drumming Club 2009-03-05 22:34:02

At 3/5/09 10:23 PM, Lkoz91 wrote: Sure man. While you're at it, check out my last music project: www.myspace.com/dukeandlan We're already broken up and gave up trying to find the rest of a band but it was just a 2 piece band.

Nice job, I like it. Too bad you broke up the band. Anyway, here's a link to About A Hero's Myspace Page
Hope ya like 'em!

Response to NG Drumming Club 2009-03-06 07:09:33

They sound really legit. I like it. My friend has that same kit as their drummer.

Response to NG Drumming Club 2009-03-06 09:02:40

At 3/6/09 07:09 AM, Lkoz91 wrote: They sound really legit. I like it. My friend has that same kit as their drummer.

Yeah they are, they competed in the Battle of the Bands. & that's kewl that your friend has the same drumming kit as their drummer.
Btw, one of my friends' brothers play the keyboard & the other one plays bass guitar I think.

Response to NG Drumming Club 2009-03-06 15:46:34

Nice man. So how long have you been behind the drums?

Response to NG Drumming Club 2009-03-06 16:21:56

At 3/6/09 03:46 PM, Lkoz91 wrote: Nice man. So how long have you been behind the drums?

Actually not real long, just about a year. What about you?

Response to NG Drumming Club 2009-03-08 14:27:39

I started around the age of 8. I got a kit from my godfather one Christmas and it's been history ever since.

Response to NG Drumming Club 2009-03-08 17:12:59

Sweet to find something like this. I'm not an expert drummer or anything and I've only been playing for about a year. I mainly play a rock side, not really heavy or anything, but I'm getting into some jazz. There aren't a lot of people that I know who play an instrument so I;m not in a band an I fucking hate it. I've written some songs and drum beats but idk anything about guitar or bass guitar. I'm definently influenced by Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters, Nirvana), Dominic Howard (Muse), Phil Selway (Radiohead), and Jim Benton (Offspring, not currently but the first). Also, Will Champion of Coldplay, I really enjoy the different styles you hear in different songs gay or not. I have a Mapex kit, it's still my first kit. It's a five piece, with a bass drum, snarem tom-tom (x2), a floor tom, a 14" Solar brand hi-hat, and an 18" Solar brand crash/ride. If i'm lucky I'll get an Iron Man double bass drum pedal and a 16" brand crash cymbal. I really like the Zildjian black cymbal set. I really like the way the cymbals look and I enjoy the sounds of them. I go to Fork's drum store. It's relatively small but it's jampacked full of sets, electronic and real, metronomes, sticks, cymbals, snares, and bass drum pedals. Also, I use Vic Firth 7A Vic Grip American Classic drumsticks. I recently went to a Nickleback concert with Saving Abel and Seether. All of their music is influential too, but the best part was when NIckleback's drummer, Dan Adair, started a 15-minute drum solo. About halfway through, the platform he was on started lifting up. Eventually he was kicking the double bass drum pedals ass while 7 feet in the air. That was probably way too much information but heres a picture of my set.

NG Drumming Club

The Originals //::// Drumming //::// KoL //://

Olskool Win

BBS Signature

Response to NG Drumming Club 2009-03-08 17:29:29

That's sick man. Glad we're getting a bigger community of drummers on here. Just a word of advice though, if I were you I'd look at some other cymbals. The black series are one of the cheapest cymbals made and they're basically charging you for the black paint. It's all the look and you would be getting ripped off by buying them. IMO at least.

Response to NG Drumming Club 2009-03-08 18:35:59

I'll join. I started when I was about 9 maybe 10. I'm not sure. I play mostly classic rock, ska, and punk. I have a small set. It is an Enforcer. It's fun to mess around with. The Who have been a great influence on me. Keith Moon is a very fast paced drummer and I like that. I also like Vinnie from Less Than Jake and Bud from Sublime. I have never actually been in a band. To me, it's a fun hobby. Lately I have been thinking about trying out the Bass Guitar, but right now, I'm sticking with the drums.

Response to NG Drumming Club 2009-03-08 18:45:00

At 3/5/09 10:34 PM, little-timmy wrote:
At 3/5/09 10:23 PM, Lkoz91 wrote: Sure man. While you're at it, check out my last music project: www.myspace.com/dukeandlan We're already broken up and gave up trying to find the rest of a band but it was just a 2 piece band.
Nice job, I like it. Too bad you broke up the band. Anyway, here's a link to About A Hero's Myspace Page
Hope ya like 'em!

My favorite outta those three would be "Nothing Personal". I usually don't listen to metal, but they're OK.

Response to NG Drumming Club 2009-03-08 21:29:59

At 3/8/09 06:45 PM, DrillHole wrote:
At 3/5/09 10:34 PM, little-timmy wrote: Nice job, I like it. Too bad you broke up the band. Anyway, here's a link to About A Hero's Myspace Page
Hope ya like 'em!
My favorite outta those three would be "Nothing Personal". I usually don't listen to metal, but they're OK.

Yeah I really like that one too, (as I do all the others), but they aren't really metal, they're more just hardcore or screamo, maybe on some parts alternative even.

Response to NG Drumming Club 2009-03-08 22:54:14

At 3/8/09 06:35 PM, DrillHole wrote: I'll join. I started when I was about 9 maybe 10. I'm not sure. I play mostly classic rock, ska, and punk. I have a small set. It is an Enforcer. It's fun to mess around with. The Who have been a great influence on me. Keith Moon is a very fast paced drummer and I like that. I also like Vinnie from Less Than Jake and Bud from Sublime. I have never actually been in a band. To me, it's a fun hobby. Lately I have been thinking about trying out the Bass Guitar, but right now, I'm sticking with the drums.

Welcome to the club man. Yeah Less Than Jake and Sublime both helped me develop my earlier stages of drumming.

Response to NG Drumming Club 2009-03-10 10:32:08

Hey everyone, I'm sick with something so I have to stay out of school today. :'(
But I'm glad that we're getting new members, hopefully we'll have a little larger community soon. :D