00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

snoozerzz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Kinsei01's Art Thread

119,586 Views | 1,487 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Kinsei01's Art Thread 2009-12-02 15:48:42

At 12/2/09 03:42 PM, RNNR wrote: So you're going to render it, that explains a few things.

When you unwrap, what resolution do you unwrap in? Also, as long as you don't really focus on the model with the camera, you can fake depth fairly easily with no complex geometry or even normal maps with a detailed texture.

The frontdoor for instance of O'Brien's (in my thread), has no normal map but does appear to have depth.
I'll admit being a texture artist is a job in itself though, hehe.

I render my templates at 1024x1024, although I know people who can make a girl wet with just a 512x512

where the hell do I get this stuff from o.0!

I could use a bump map and give some depth that way and try and rough the model, but I don't think it would go far enough for what I want.
I guess I could just sacrifice a ton of polys and render time and just do some work in Zbrush.
I'll try it today and see hot it goes, (something tells me to expect a computer crash by the end of the day)

The link in your sig was irresistible ;)

Clicky Clicky >:)

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Kinsei01's Art Thread 2009-12-02 16:11:27

What 3D software do you use?

Please say Blender 3D! :3

BBS Signature

Response to Kinsei01's Art Thread 2009-12-02 18:28:18

At 12/2/09 03:48 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: I render my templates at 1024x1024, although I know people who can make a girl wet with just a 512x512
where the hell do I get this stuff from o.0!
I could use a bump map and give some depth that way and try and rough the model, but I don't think it would go far enough for what I want.
I guess I could just sacrifice a ton of polys and render time and just do some work in Zbrush.
I'll try it today and see hot it goes, (something tells me to expect a computer crash by the end of the day)

Textures for games are usually made at double the resolution before they are exported to TGA, usually going from 2048 to 1024 or for more detailed models, such as characters, from 4096 to 2048.

One way to get grunge and dirt going which I really like is to create a new layer, hit F5, pick a chalk/grungy brush, play with the Shape Dynamics, Scattering, Texture, Wet Edges and 'build' the dirt up in places where you'll most likely find it with opacity set to <50%.
Depending on the environment you switch up colours; dark brown, gray, yellow, green, orange, red and just ctrl+s until you're satisfied with the result.

Consider upgrading your PC btw, a good multicore processor and a few gigs of RAM will allow you to switch between your 3D suite and Photoshop smoothly.

- The Run -- Cargo || The Run -- Drop - The Run is an episodic sci-fi story, click the image to go to the Main Page.

BBS Signature

Response to Kinsei01's Art Thread 2009-12-04 03:25:18

At 12/2/09 06:28 PM, RNNR wrote: Consider upgrading your PC btw, a good multicore processor and a few gigs of RAM will allow you to switch between your 3D suite and Photoshop smoothly.

lol as if I could actually afford upgrading. Hell the only reason I still am using vista is because I can't afford windows 7, even at the 40 dollar student discount.

I'll work up some grunge brushes for my mech, but in the mean time I have a new quicky I did.
the morter dog I concepted for the cyber punk level.

BBS Signature

Response to Kinsei01's Art Thread 2009-12-04 03:26:20

for got picture, mental note, shouldn't post while drunk...

Kinsei01's Art Thread

BBS Signature

Response to Kinsei01's Art Thread 2009-12-04 03:28:48

different angle for kicks
also this one is subdivided like there is no tomorrow.
all for kicks...

yes the kicks >:P

Kinsei01's Art Thread

BBS Signature

Response to Kinsei01's Art Thread 2009-12-04 03:31:36

yeah, I'm begenning to spam my own thread...

and I like it >:P

anywa in case any of you feel like checking it out, h ere is my website

www.thejeremydaniels.com

yes my name is Jeremy. but I prefer to go nu Kinsei

so yeah step on over and shoot me an e-mail

BBS Signature

Response to Kinsei01's Art Thread 2009-12-04 03:44:14

dude awesome pics do u do pixel art to.

LOL was up

BBS Signature

Response to Kinsei01's Art Thread 2009-12-04 03:56:32

At 12/4/09 03:44 AM, stickanimatorone wrote: dude awesome pics do u do pixel art to.

not really, made an icon once, but was never really adept at it.
probably a form I'll have to master in the future

BBS Signature

Response to Kinsei01's Art Thread 2009-12-06 03:06:16

Luigi from "There Will Be Brawl"

Time: 30 minuets
Reference: yes http://therewillbebrawl.c om/images/downloads/wallp aper/Luigi_Wallpaper800x6 00.jpg
Matereals: 4h, 3b, 6b. Canson Sketch pad
High res

I think this came out well

Kinsei01's Art Thread

BBS Signature

Response to Kinsei01's Art Thread 2009-12-06 04:13:25

Here is something I completed just a few minuets ago
It's called "Memories of Better Times"
and if you want to read a really heart felt eulogy for a friendship, then hop on over to my art page and read the bit that I typed up with the piece.
sadly the more I typed about it, the more I wanted to continue.
To be quite honest, I do miss my old friends. I was the crazy one who moved 1200 miles away from any one I knew and went to school. I miss the times I could just sit about, play video games, reminisce about the stupid stuff we did.
When I turned 21, I couldn't even drink a beer at the bar with me dad like I wanted. I had my adopted brother here, but even with that, all we did was continue our daily lives.
I guess even the strongest of us need an emotional crutch from time to time.

Kinsei01's Art Thread

BBS Signature

Response to Kinsei01's Art Thread 2009-12-06 09:32:35

At 12/6/09 03:06 AM, Kinsei01 wrote: Luigi from "There Will Be Brawl"

Time: 30 minuets
Reference: yes http://therewillbebrawl.c om/images/downloads/wallp aper/Luigi_Wallpaper800x6 00.jpg
Matereals: 4h, 3b, 6b. Canson Sketch pad
High res

I think this came out well

Yay! There will be brawl is a great series, anyone who would like to see a more serious version of our beloved Nintendo should check them out.

Response to Kinsei01's Art Thread 2009-12-06 10:12:12

awesome looking 3-d work man. keep em coming.

Response to Kinsei01's Art Thread 2009-12-06 13:50:29

At 12/6/09 09:32 AM, M-Vero wrote: Yay! There will be brawl is a great series, anyone who would like to see a more serious version of our beloved Nintendo should check them out.

Yes I think is a excellent series. The story line has me completely immersed. I can't wait to see the conclusion, but at the same time I will be sad to see it end....

At 12/6/09 10:12 AM, DmattGibson wrote: awesome looking 3-d work man. keep em coming.

cool man thanks.

BBS Signature

Response to Kinsei01's Art Thread 2009-12-06 14:22:47

At 12/6/09 04:13 AM, Kinsei01 wrote: Here is something I completed just a few minuets ago

Awwwww shit, Pokemon fuck yeah. Those were the days.

Response to Kinsei01's Art Thread 2009-12-06 14:46:14

At 12/6/09 02:22 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 12/6/09 04:13 AM, Kinsei01 wrote: Here is something I completed just a few minuets ago
Awwwww shit, Pokemon fuck yeah. Those were the days.

Gotta Catch them all baby.... <3

BBS Signature

Response to Kinsei01's Art Thread 2009-12-06 14:48:51

At 12/4/09 03:26 AM, Kinsei01 wrote: for got picture, mental note, shouldn't post while drunk...

I like this.

The head and backend are going to be au naturel, the rest cybernetic?

- The Run -- Cargo || The Run -- Drop - The Run is an episodic sci-fi story, click the image to go to the Main Page.

BBS Signature

Response to Kinsei01's Art Thread 2009-12-06 14:52:50

At 12/6/09 02:48 PM, RNNR wrote:
At 12/4/09 03:26 AM, Kinsei01 wrote: for got picture, mental note, shouldn't post while drunk...
I like this.

The head and backend are going to be au naturel, the rest cybernetic?

Sort of, I was going to do anymore robotic work detail on the maps.
I just have to get around to actually mapping him. probably should so that today or tomorrow.

BBS Signature

Response to Kinsei01's Art Thread 2009-12-11 20:48:12

Gotta stop getting sidetracked on other projects >.>...
here is another new model '08 Challenger so far about 10 hours have gone in to it I'm aiming for full detail and finished product in about 20 total hours.
Hopefully before the weekend is out anyway. who knows I might get lucky with a last minuet drop in to my demo reel before Tuesday :P

Kinsei01's Art Thread

BBS Signature

Response to Kinsei01's Art Thread 2009-12-12 06:10:59

At 12/11/09 08:48 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: Gotta stop getting sidetracked on other projects >.>...
here is another new model '08 Challenger so far about 10 hours have gone in to it I'm aiming for full detail and finished product in about 20 total hours.
Hopefully before the weekend is out anyway. who knows I might get lucky with a last minuet drop in to my demo reel before Tuesday :P

I instantly recognized it as a Challenger, which is a good thing :)

You still have a lot of work ahead of ya though, so lock yourself up in your room with some drinks and Pizza :p
See ya next week!

BBS Signature

Response to Kinsei01's Art Thread 2009-12-12 13:23:24

wow guys thanks for the compliments,

BBS Signature

Response to Kinsei01's Art Thread 2009-12-12 15:19:40

for kicks here is an update on the Challenger.
pretty much all is left is some wheels and to unwrap the sucker and get a nice paint job on it,
Any suggestions on the colors or designs I should use?
I really want to avoid the Hemi Orange and Resell Red. So anyone got any ideas?

Kinsei01's Art Thread

BBS Signature

Response to Kinsei01's Art Thread 2009-12-12 15:28:09

At 12/12/09 03:23 PM, angryglacier wrote: What about just jet black, or a nice shade of blue.

I thought of black, but I saw a challenger blow past me doing about 150 coated in black, and honestly I didn't feel the speed or power from it I should have, so a completely black job is out.

Blue maybe,With some white stripes and accents would be nice. I could get behind this.
I also thought of Dodge green with some back accents.
at least some one responded with suggestions.

I think I'm going to go out and grab some lunch. Keep the ideas rolling and I'll sort threw them when I get back.

BBS Signature

Response to Kinsei01's Art Thread 2009-12-12 15:51:57

Gotta have a stripe running down the middle.

Response to Kinsei01's Art Thread 2009-12-12 15:52:26

At 12/12/09 03:47 PM, angryglacier wrote: Here's some color and design ideas.

Or like this

Maybe a bit darker

BBS Signature

Response to Kinsei01's Art Thread 2009-12-12 15:59:34

At 12/12/09 03:47 PM, angryglacier wrote: Here's some color and design ideas.

I like the blue in the middle on the left side, but if I have a type face with it I have a pretty nice one that I'll use instead

At 12/12/09 03:51 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Gotta have a stripe running down the middle.

with out a doubt

At 12/12/09 03:52 PM, havegum wrote: Or like this
Maybe a bit darker

yeah darker...

Kinsei01's Art Thread

BBS Signature

Response to Kinsei01's Art Thread 2009-12-12 16:05:32

At 12/12/09 03:19 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: for kicks here is an update on the Challenger.
pretty much all is left is some wheels and to unwrap the sucker and get a nice paint job on it,
Any suggestions on the colors or designs I should use?
I really want to avoid the Hemi Orange and Resell Red. So anyone got any ideas?

Not going for a high poly so you can normal map it in xNormal?
Don't forget mirrors.

Oh, and limegreen :D, with white graphics. Are you going for a nice huge-ass uv, something 2048 or higher?

BBS Signature

Response to Kinsei01's Art Thread 2009-12-12 16:17:38

At 12/12/09 04:05 PM, RNNR wrote: Not going for a high poly so you can normal map it in xNormal?
Don't forget mirrors.

Oh, and limegreen :D, with white graphics. Are you going for a nice huge-ass uv, something 2048 or higher?

what I have been posting has been pretty low poly, only about 1000 polys. Mostly to cut render time right now. But when I smooth it it'll probably be around 10,000. I used to have a really bad habit of making even simple things really high poly.
for my map,I'll just go with a 1024.

BBS Signature

Response to Kinsei01's Art Thread 2009-12-12 17:27:18

Well just need to add a door handle an I think i'm ready to double this thing and start welding her together, After that it won't take me long to unwrap and get a solid paint job on her.

might need to take a break though , my right hand is starting to hurt,

Kinsei01's Art Thread

BBS Signature

Response to Kinsei01's Art Thread 2009-12-12 22:06:13

Well I need to continue to tweak the paint and lighting some, but so far I have gotten alot done since last night.
The unsmoothed version is looking pretty slick, so I may not need to add the poly suicidal turbo smooth.
I'll finish poking at it either sometime tonight or tomorrow and get the final up here and in the portal. So don't forget to review and vote for it, K guys?

Kinsei01's Art Thread

BBS Signature