00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Feenixs just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Audio Forum Lounge

1,784,967 Views | 34,324 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-05-08 16:55:19

At 5/8/10 04:38 PM, Gravey wrote:
At 5/7/10 03:42 PM, Mich wrote:
Started August 2009, made public the 4th of may.
Quick question, but would it be possible that you opened up yourself to legal issues with this?
...ect. ect.

In most cases I think this would be completely true. The only thing that really says otherwise is that the AP here is 99% non-profit / non-revenue, unlike the FP. But I definitely agree with you that this should be looked into.

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.

Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-05-08 17:09:47

At 5/8/10 04:55 PM, djInTheDark wrote: In most cases I think this would be completely true. The only thing that really says otherwise is that the AP here is 99% non-profit / non-revenue, unlike the FP. But I definitely agree with you that this should be looked into.

The concept of a system for publishing audio for community review/interaction is not exclusive to newgrounds.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-05-08 17:23:07

At 5/8/10 05:09 PM, loansindi wrote:
The concept of a system for publishing audio for community review/interaction is not exclusive to newgrounds.

And that didn't answer my question at all. I didn't say that having a system for publishing audio for community interaction is exclusive to Newgrounds. I said the fact that it's literally the same as this present audio portal on Newgrounds might lead to legal issues. Especially considering the people who made the new site, The Audio Portal, used the exact same name for their site as is already used here. It's something that should at least be considered and discussed.

Most places like Newgrounds have legal protection for the names of their products/services/etc. So it seems like its an obvious lawsuit waiting to happen, which would just end up leading to the site being shut down.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-05-08 17:36:14

At 5/8/10 05:23 PM, Gravey wrote: Most places like Newgrounds have legal protection for the names of their products/services/etc. So it seems like its an obvious lawsuit waiting to happen, which would just end up leading to the site being shut down.

I guess I can see where you're coming from, though to be totally honest this is not the venue for this discussion. I will say I don't personally feel there's much of a case for a lawsuit in this instance.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-05-08 17:43:44

At 5/8/10 05:36 PM, loansindi wrote:
I guess I can see where you're coming from, though to be totally honest this is not the venue for this discussion. I will say I don't personally feel there's much of a case for a lawsuit in this instance.

Fair enough. It was just the first thing that came to mind when I saw the site, and I thought the issue might just have been overlooked is all. The site looks good in general, albeit a virtual carbon copy of Newgrounds in display for the most part. Good luck with it.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-05-08 19:01:13

I have never noticed a copyright or trademark sign near the audio portal button or anything like that; and as loans mentioned, The concept of a portal isn't really copyrighted.

It is obvious that I was inspired by Newgrounds, since I really like this site; but it'll look more different over time, getting its distinct features and everything.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-05-08 21:02:40

At 5/8/10 07:23 PM, sorohanro wrote: 4. Intellectual Property Rights
The content on the Newgrounds Website, except all User Submissions (as defined below), including without limitation, the text, software, scripts (except where explicitly stated), graphics, photos, sounds, music, videos, interactive features and the like ("Content") and the trademarks, service marks and logos contained therein ("Marks"), are owned by or licensed to Newgrounds, subject to copyright and other intellectual property rights under United States and foreign laws and international conventions.

So are you saying I stole something from Newgrounds? Because the layout and such looks rather similar? I did create everything from scratch, I did not in fact actually get something from Newgrounds; barely ideas.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-05-09 00:03:55

Yeah, similarity /= infringement. There are plenty of other audio uploading sites with communities... encouraging reviews, allowing for networking with other artists... etc.

Soundcloud for example.

I really don't see how there'd be an issue.

At 1/16/12 03:08 AM, Xyresic wrote: EchozAurora: The SEXY Audio Mod. (2019 edit lol not anymoar)

Check out soundcloud.com/echozaurora for more recent songs and DJ mixes!

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-05-09 00:17:47

At 5/8/10 09:02 PM, Mich wrote:
So are you saying I stole something from Newgrounds? Because the layout and such looks rather similar? I did create everything from scratch, I did not in fact actually get something from Newgrounds; barely ideas.

Well my original question wasn't really saying that, but I can't speak for Sorohanro. I will say however that using the same name would be considered stealing in a somewhat obvious form. Your new site is literally the same name as Newgrounds audio section here.

The site looks great, and to be honest I don't see it as being an issue for the most part. But I would say that calling it The Audio Portal was not a stroke of genius, and wasn't thought through very well. Newgrounds is a business first and foremost. And any smart business will attempt to protect any sort of label it's made for itself.

The product isn't in question, but rather the label. For example, there are about 10 different types of Mountain Dew you can buy at Wal Mart by just as many companies. But there is only one actually labeled "Mountain Dew."

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-05-09 02:34:57

Mich it would be nifty if you somehow implemented a way for your site to use SoundCloud... Facebook is already doing it.

It would save you bandwidth and would also save others the hassle of having to re-submit their work everywhere else.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-05-09 09:37:00

At 5/8/10 04:38 PM, Gravey wrote:
At 5/7/10 03:42 PM, Mich wrote:
Started August 2009, made public the 4th of may.
Quick question, but would it be possible that you opened up yourself to legal issues with this?

Newgrounds's community-driven submission style paved the way for sites like YouTube and Soundcloud, you know. Would you say that those websites also "stole" from Newgrounds?

THE NEWGROUNDS PODCAST

Sometimes, it would rain men. "Hallelujah!" we would cry. Thousands were killed.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-05-09 09:44:16

At 5/9/10 09:37 AM, Stupor wrote: Newgrounds's community-driven submission style paved the way for sites like YouTube and Soundcloud, you know. Would you say that those websites also "stole" from Newgrounds?

Well, that was terribly late to the game...

From my viewpoint, we would have called the site The Audio Portal regardless of Newgrounds. It's not like that term is some special trademark invented over the course of many focus meetings and brainstorming sessions, it's just a blunt description of a portal through which you can access audio. "Audio Portal" is not a Newgrounds-only thing, and we never gave the new site that particular name just to spite NG.

THE NEWGROUNDS PODCAST

Sometimes, it would rain men. "Hallelujah!" we would cry. Thousands were killed.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-05-09 11:42:59

What it comes down to is business. For example, people make their stores look unique so customers keep coming back.
Websites try to do the same thing. In order to keep other people from stealing the same ideas and looks from a website, many MANY laws are put in place to keep the amount of traffic coming to websites.

You HAVE to be very careful with everything you make (get ideas from) on the interwebs.

As stated, you could get in some trouble for making your website look like another.
I was making a website about a year back and had to really read into the contracts and legal jargon on the other websites because of all the laws put in place to keep the unique looks of other websites.

Mich, I'd advise you change the website around as not to get butt raped.

..............The Guide to Newgrounds Audio

Latest Track: Phoenix

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-05-09 13:03:34

At 5/9/10 12:01 PM, LaForge wrote:
At 5/9/10 11:42 AM, TMM43 wrote: Mich, I'd advise you change the website around as not to get butt raped.
I'd say endure the butt raping. He's not breaking any logical or intellectual laws with his site. The name was a bad idea, but the site itself is totally legit.

There's only so many ways to display any given kind of content. Sometimes form follows function.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-05-09 13:18:18

Legal shit about newgournds
I have a question, have you actually talked to Tom and asked if it was to close to this site, Or whoever has the right to the audio portal?

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-05-09 13:28:15

At 5/9/10 01:18 PM, Kirbyfemur wrote: Legal shit about newgournds
I have a question, have you actually talked to Tom and asked if it was to close to this site, Or whoever has the right to the audio portal?

doubt they would get a response

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-05-09 13:39:40

At 5/9/10 01:28 PM, SessileNomad wrote:
At 5/9/10 01:18 PM, Kirbyfemur wrote: Legal shit about newgournds
doubt they would get a response

Well it would be better to at least try rather than to continue arguing about something that might not even be a problem in the first place.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-05-09 13:56:36

I'm not seeing the big legal deal here, aside from maybe -MAYBE- consternation over the name.

That's like NG trying to take down other sites because they host flash. Why?

Anyhoo, I got 500 Wii points

Now what do I get:
Kirby's Adventure, or Ninja Gaiden?

If you think you might have secret information listening to me, you're lost.

~Morton Feldman

Click on ROGA'S for a good time.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-05-09 14:00:50

At 5/9/10 01:56 PM, EmperorCharlemagne wrote: I'm not seeing the big legal deal here, aside from maybe -MAYBE- consternation over the name.

Now what do I get:

kirby, do it

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-05-09 14:04:23

An overwhelming amount of people I've asked have all said Kirby.

Which is surprising; I thought Ninja Gaiden would be the one everyone recommended.

~Morton Feldman

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-05-09 14:08:41

At 5/9/10 01:56 PM, EmperorCharlemagne wrote: I'm not seeing the big legal deal here, aside from maybe -MAYBE- consternation over the name.

Now what do I get:

Well... I'm probably a bit biased (if my username doesn't say so i don't know what does lol) but kirby. I have the original somewhere, and it couldn't have been any better for me. I never got the chance to play ninja gaiden till i was older and played the new version. And i wasn't all to impressed.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-05-09 14:43:57

At 5/8/10 09:02 PM, Mich wrote: So are you saying I stole something from Newgrounds? Because the layout and such looks rather similar?

No man, chill out, just answering to:
"I have never noticed a copyright or trademark sign"

Even if look similar, I think nobody will actually sue you or even think of.
It's quite obvious that NG audio community is quite unsatisfied of their status, of the voting system, of lack of exposure, 0-bombing, etc...etc... and that is a way to deal with all the crap here, making a "here" somewhere else.
I might even join later ;)

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-05-09 14:54:38

Go with Kirby. I have this game as well, and it's very good, and the 500 Wii Points (5.00 USD) make it a real bargain. I mean, it can't be better than this, a cheap but freaking good game.

Though I never played Ninja Gaiden :(

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-05-09 16:50:21

At 5/9/10 02:43 PM, sorohanro wrote: No man, chill out, just answering to:
"I have never noticed a copyright or trademark sign"

Sorry if it seemed I was attacking you.

Even if look similar, I think nobody will actually sue you or even think of.

That's the idea I had, I just got a bit frustrated with people going on about it, after all the time invested. Either way I'm currently working on functionality while I try to come up with some ideas for a completely different look.

It's quite obvious that NG audio community is quite unsatisfied of their status, of the voting system, of lack of exposure, 0-bombing, etc...etc...

And that is the exact reason why I started the project.

and that is a way to deal with all the crap here, making a "here" somewhere else.
I might even join later ;)

That'd be very cool. =)

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-05-10 00:50:32

At 5/9/10 02:54 PM, MrSaint wrote: Go with Kirby. I have this game as well, and it's very good, and the 500 Wii Points (5.00 USD) make it a real bargain. I mean, it can't be better than this, a cheap but freaking good game.

Though I never played Ninja Gaiden :(

I've played Ninja Gaiden before on Virtual NES. It's pretty fun, though you wind up repeating the same stages over and over again due to shitloads of death.

Yeah, I suppose I'mma go with Kirby.
I recently beat Dreamland 3 not too long ago, so hurray for me!

~Morton Feldman

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-05-10 02:01:59

ReBirth RB-338:

If any of you guys have an iPhone, head on over to the app store. Yeah, that's right, they've released ReBirth for the fragging iPhone! Best $8.99 I ever spent. Still has a couple of bugs, but other than that, it's true to the 2.0.1 release.

I thought it was going to be real fiddly to use at first, but now I can knock stuff out uber quick. Best productivity tool for the bus. Damnit I can't believe that this program is 12 years old. Damn I feel old.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-05-10 02:12:08

At 5/10/10 02:01 AM, jarrydn wrote: ReBirth RB-338:

If any of you guys have an iPhone, head on over to the app store. Yeah, that's right, they've released ReBirth for the fragging iPhone! Best $8.99 I ever spent.

I got it and I think it's useless. Too much stuff for a 320 x 480 screen. Hopefully they'll have an iPad version sometime.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-05-10 02:20:35

At 5/10/10 02:12 AM, SBB wrote: I got it and I think it's useless. Too much stuff for a 320 x 480 screen. Hopefully they'll have an iPad version sometime.

I wouldn't doubt it.

I've heard rumors about reason making an appearance on the iPad too.

As for ReBirth being cramped on the iPhone, I agree that it takes some getting used to. The navigation is still a little bit jerky, but I believe that these issues will probably be sorted out in version 1.1

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-05-10 23:28:37

At 5/10/10 11:27 PM, LaForge wrote: Wow. I just saw the most heavy Family Guy episode ever. Anyone else watch it?

Deep.

yeah what the fuck. I didn't enjoy it one bit.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat