00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Audio Forum Lounge

1,783,368 Views | 34,324 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-25 14:22:47

Unknown Song

Hey, random question. Can anyone tell me the name of the song that plays for the first couple of seconds in this video?

It only lasts for like three seconds but it sounds so familiar and I can't put my finger on it. It might be a song from a game, or movie/series, or from the Audio Portal... I don't know. If anyone knows the name of the song or where it came from, please tell me and put my mind at rest.

Thanks!

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-26 04:55:45 (edited 2015-01-26 04:56:11)

Hands

I'm okay with my hands. Now if only I had the patience to learn to play the piano...

Also that's my late grandfathers fancy mechanical watch
Which doesn't even use electricity

EDIT: I accidentally the photo

The Audio Forum Lounge

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-27 09:57:04

At 1/25/15 02:22 PM, Step wrote: Unknown Song

Hey, random question. Can anyone tell me the name of the song that plays for the first couple of seconds in this video?

It only lasts for like three seconds but it sounds so familiar and I can't put my finger on it. It might be a song from a game, or movie/series, or from the Audio Portal... I don't know. If anyone knows the name of the song or where it came from, please tell me and put my mind at rest.

Thanks!

Welp, good luck with that, it's barely audible :s I have no idea what it could be though...

Also, in case nobody noticed yet: the first episode of the Newgrounds Audio Portal Podcast is online! :)

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-27 11:21:47

At 1/27/15 09:57 AM, LiquidOoze wrote: Welp, good luck with that, it's barely audible :s I have no idea what it could be though...

Also, in case nobody noticed yet: the first episode of the Newgrounds Audio Portal Podcast is online! :)

It's definitely worth a listen!

Newest Track: h8ju

If you want me to Review smthn, just send me a PM ;)

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-28 06:26:43 (edited 2015-01-28 06:29:55)

At 1/26/15 04:55 AM, Mich wrote: Hands

I'm okay with my hands. Now if only I had the patience to learn to play the piano...

Also that's my late grandfathers fancy mechanical watch
Which doesn't even use electricity
EDIT: I accidentally the photo

OMG those mother fucking hands. That's like... two and a half mother fucking octaves or some shit. Congrats yo.

Dream AIDS

I just woke up from a pretty weird nightmare where an old highschool friend decided to unknowingly give me AIDs. As far as dreams go that one was probably one of the darkest in recent memory. It goes right up there with having to bash a zombies skull in with a baseball bat but I guess the take away from it is have safe sex. All of you should wrap your dicks in Jimmy sacks every time. It's not a cool situation to have to look in the eyes. Be safe out there. Don't get AIDs.

On a more or less positive note I immediately went onto facebook and said "fuck you" to the guy who gave me nightmare AIDs. I'm not letting him walk away from this one Scott free. That asshole deserves to know what he did to me >:C

quarl BandCamp

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-28 18:35:25

I have a 61 Semi Weight MIDI Keyboard in my cupboard, it's gathering dust at the moment.

The thing...I should really practice playing keyboard at some point. Maybe Newgrounds will point me in the direction of some good piano lessons for beginners, I've looked up some online, but people seem to use various techniques for either counting major, minor chords, or actual numbered Keys, and then there's the finger style. I really want to know how to properly play the keyboard with your fingers, which positioning, how to switch from key to key with which finger.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-28 19:18:32 (edited 2015-01-28 19:29:18)

At 1/28/15 06:35 PM, Grandvision wrote: I really want to know how to properly play the keyboard with your fingers, which positioning, how to switch from key to key with which finger.

Have you considered going to a teacher and taking private lessons? They can be a bit pricey but they're a great way to not only learn the keyboard properly and correct any mistakes you make but also motivate you to keep on top of your practising. If there are no affordable/good piano teachers close to your area, I think instrument lessons over Skype are a thing, so that's something to consider.

Also, if you really want to get serious, then try and find a fully-weighted keyboard, ideally with the full 88-key range (or a full-blown piano works too of course haha). They do not come cheap but IMO you won't be able to properly develop your keyboard-playing with semi-weighted keys. Having said that, I could be wrong. I've never physically compared a fully-weighted keyboard with a semi-weighted one so I don't know how extreme the difference is.

I do have some general tips on playing style to get you started though. This is what I've picked up throughout my eight years (and counting) of going to piano lessons:
1.) Keep your wrist roughly level with your knuckles. Make sure your hand is arched/round.
2.) Your fingers will, most of the time, be hitting the notes close to their edges (but not too close). When playing white notes, avoid moving your fingers inwards (into the area between the black keys) unless you need to. Also, play with the tips of your fingers. Don't flatten them.
3.) The strength of each note press should be coming from the fingers themselves, not your arm. Your arm/elbow/wrist remain stationary unless you need to perform awkward turns.
4.) Keep elbows close to your hips. This is especially important when your arms need to stretch outwards for very low or very high notes. Your arms should stretch out like: \o/ not like: |_o_| (look at those from a top-down perspective).
5.) Don't be afraid to lift your fingers when striking notes. Do not lazily leave them stuck on the keys (as tempting as it may be).
6.) In terms of posture: loose shoulders, straight back and elbows level with piano keys. If your chair is adjustable, be sure to adjust it to make sure you can comfortably meet all those criteria.

And two other general tips:
1.) Whenever you tackle a new piece, practise it with one hand, and then the other. Only when you feel confident practising each hand's part separately should you attempt to tackle it with both hands.

2.) Scales are like the keyboard's Swiss Army knife. They give you everything you need. With them, you'll gain finger dexterity, accustom yourself to the geography of the keyboard, loosen up your fingers, and on top of all that, gain knowledge on how to play different scales with different key signatures. Start with the easiest (C Major) and work your way to the harder ones, adding in more octaves when you feel confident. Also, make sure you're playing them with correct fingering. Look up videos and online sources. They'll teach you how to play scales, where to make the turns, etc.

Be sure to also throw arpeggios and chromatic scales in the mix, and practise with both a legato and staccato touch. A word of warning though: arpeggios are assholes. Give them extra attention because they may well be some of the hardest standard finger exercises. Another neat thing is to try and add dynamics to your scales. Start them softly, crescendo to the high note, and then diminuendo back to soft. This will get your fingers accustomed to playing in different dynamic levels and changing dynamic in realtime. Oh, and scales aren't a one-time thing that you can abandon once you master them. They are the ultimate "warm-up" when you need to play the keyboard and they keep your fingers in shape, so keep them up, as mechanical and repetitive they may be.

Hope that helps.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-28 20:44:12

At 1/28/15 07:18 PM, Step wrote:
At 1/28/15 06:35 PM, Grandvision wrote: I really want to know how to properly play the keyboard with your fingers, which positioning, how to switch from key to key with which finger.
Have you considered going to a teacher and taking private lessons? They can be a bit pricey but they're a great way to not only learn the keyboard properly and correct any mistakes you make but also motivate you to keep on top of your practising. If there are no affordable/good piano teachers close to your area, I think instrument lessons over Skype are a thing, so that's something to consider.

Also, if you really want to get serious, then try and find a fully-weighted keyboard, ideally with the full 88-key range (or a full-blown piano works too of course haha). They do not come cheap but IMO you won't be able to properly develop your keyboard-playing with semi-weighted keys. Having said that, I could be wrong. I've never physically compared a fully-weighted keyboard with a semi-weighted one so I don't know how extreme the difference is.

I do have some general tips on playing style to get you started though. This is what I've picked up throughout my eight years (and counting) of going to piano lessons:
1.) Keep your wrist roughly level with your knuckles. Make sure your hand is arched/round.
2.) Your fingers will, most of the time, be hitting the notes close to their edges (but not too close). When playing white notes, avoid moving your fingers inwards (into the area between the black keys) unless you need to. Also, play with the tips of your fingers. Don't flatten them.
3.) The strength of each note press should be coming from the fingers themselves, not your arm. Your arm/elbow/wrist remain stationary unless you need to perform awkward turns.
4.) Keep elbows close to your hips. This is especially important when your arms need to stretch outwards for very low or very high notes. Your arms should stretch out like: \o/ not like: |_o_| (look at those from a top-down perspective).
5.) Don't be afraid to lift your fingers when striking notes. Do not lazily leave them stuck on the keys (as tempting as it may be).
6.) In terms of posture: loose shoulders, straight back and elbows level with piano keys. If your chair is adjustable, be sure to adjust it to make sure you can comfortably meet all those criteria.

And two other general tips:
1.) Whenever you tackle a new piece, practise it with one hand, and then the other. Only when you feel confident practising each hand's part separately should you attempt to tackle it with both hands.

2.) Scales are like the keyboard's Swiss Army knife. They give you everything you need. With them, you'll gain finger dexterity, accustom yourself to the geography of the keyboard, loosen up your fingers, and on top of all that, gain knowledge on how to play different scales with different key signatures. Start with the easiest (C Major) and work your way to the harder ones, adding in more octaves when you feel confident. Also, make sure you're playing them with correct fingering. Look up videos and online sources. They'll teach you how to play scales, where to make the turns, etc.

Be sure to also throw arpeggios and chromatic scales in the mix, and practise with both a legato and staccato touch. A word of warning though: arpeggios are assholes. Give them extra attention because they may well be some of the hardest standard finger exercises. Another neat thing is to try and add dynamics to your scales. Start them softly, crescendo to the high note, and then diminuendo back to soft. This will get your fingers accustomed to playing in different dynamic levels and changing dynamic in realtime. Oh, and scales aren't a one-time thing that you can abandon once you master them. They are the ultimate "warm-up" when you need to play the keyboard and they keep your fingers in shape, so keep them up, as mechanical and repetitive they may be.

Hope that helps.

Piano lessons are unfortunately out of the question at this exact moment of life for me, as I just cannot afford it.

Thanks so much for the techniques and proper posture, I never knew that. I might try it out tomorrow, although the problem with my keyboard is that it's huge - https://imageshack.com/i/joimg0166ylj

Mind you, the desktop in that picture I no longer use, I have a wider one now, and can place the whole keyboard on top of it, but my office chair cannot go as high, so my arms have to be raised, which isn't exactly comfortable. I really need to get a keyboard stand if I am going to be serious about this, or just use pillows as compromise for now.

As for scales practice, I did that once with a video, that used the number system, 1-10 or 9 I believe, which isn't what most people use, but I easily played the most common major scales, it was fun, should do it more often. In general, I just have to improve my music theory knowledge.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-28 21:45:29

question for audio mods! Some kind soul please tag them in your next post so that they can notice me ( I don't remember dem names)

Is there any way for an average user to pinpoint the source of traffic to our content? It realy annoys me that my second track from this year got 20 more downloads and tons of view in last few hours and I don't know how it happened.

When the stuff was featured in top popular it kinda made sense, but now it doesn't and it confuses me. :(

Hello thar ;)

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-28 21:51:39 (edited 2015-01-28 21:55:04)

At 1/28/15 08:44 PM, Grandvision wrote: Piano lessons are unfortunately out of the question at this exact moment of life for me, as I just cannot afford it.

Understandable. I got lucky with my old piano teacher; I paid 5 euro per week, and each week I had one 45-minute lesson (although it often ended up stretching to an hour per lesson haha). To add to that, any extra lessons she gave (usually when nearing exam period) were free. She didn't really do it for the money. I had to change to a new piano teacher nearly two years ago, and this new one charges a lot more (I pay over 50 euro weekly for 3 hours of lessons per week). While this new teacher's great, she's definitely not cheap!

Thanks so much for the techniques and proper posture, I never knew that. I might try it out tomorrow, although the problem with my keyboard is that it's huge - https://imageshack.com/i/joimg0166ylj

You're welcome!

Mind you, the desktop in that picture I no longer use, I have a wider one now, and can place the whole keyboard on top of it, but my office chair cannot go as high, so my arms have to be raised, which isn't exactly comfortable. I really need to get a keyboard stand if I am going to be serious about this, or just use pillows as compromise for now.

Ouch, that sucks. Yeah, I think you should definitely try and get your elbows at the same level as the keyboard's keys, both for the sake of comfort/avoiding fatigue and for the sake of proper playing.

As for scales practice, I did that once with a video, that used the number system, 1-10 or 9 I believe, which isn't what most people use, but I easily played the most common major scales, it was fun, should do it more often. In general, I just have to improve my music theory knowledge.

Hm, I've never heard of that system, actually. I just learnt the fingering of each scale by heart, really. For a lot of scales, the fingering for one octave on the right hand is 1 - 2 - 3 - 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5, and on the left hand it's 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 - 3 - 2 - 1, but, when you start throwing in black notes, you can start getting a LOT of exceptions to that fingering. For example, at least with the system I use, any B scale I play on the left hand starts with a 4th finger rather than 5th finger. F major in the right hand turns after the 4th note rather than the 3rd. Scales that start on a black note have a whole new fingering system. Stuff like that.

Anyway I know scales better than I know the alphabet, so if you need me to send you any videos of how I play certain scales, that would literally be no problem for me. Just hit me up!

At 1/28/15 09:45 PM, Deshiel wrote: question for audio mods! Some kind soul please tag them in your next post so that they can notice me ( I don't remember dem names)

Is there any way for an average user to pinpoint the source of traffic to our content? It realy annoys me that my second track from this year got 20 more downloads and tons of view in last few hours and I don't know how it happened.

When the stuff was featured in top popular it kinda made sense, but now it doesn't and it confuses me. :(

I'm afraid not. There's no way to check where your traffic is coming from on Newgrounds.

However, keep in mind that a lot of these unexplained bursts in views or downloads (the latter in particular) may be because of Geometry Dash, which is an extremely popular mobile rhythm game with a level editor that allows people to make custom levels out of any Newgrounds music. If you see some weirdly high statistics in any of your tracks, it might be because a popular Geometry Dash level was made out of your music.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-28 22:15:50

At 1/28/15 09:51 PM, Step wrote: stuff

Yes, that scale, was shown, and it seems pretty easy to use and cater to almost any scale.

As for the Geometry Dash, I never knew that, I wonder if anyone made a level with any of my soundtracks in them. I wonder if there is any way to check, maybe on YouTube or in the game itself, although I presume I'd have to buy it, it's very cheap as well!

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-28 22:29:15

At 1/28/15 09:51 PM, Step wrote:
However, keep in mind that a lot of these unexplained bursts in views or downloads (the latter in particular) may be because of Geometry Dash

I get this a lot. Sometimes my track will have X number of listens than X^2 in downloads.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-29 01:02:39 (edited 2015-01-29 01:04:20)

At 1/23/15 09:15 PM, DJ-Howwl wrote: Anybody a pianist here? Cause I hope I'm not the only one with short fingers and can only reach 9 keys XD
I wish I had long ass fingers, then doing octaves would be soooooo easy. ;-; FWP

I will say that you don't necessarily have to play octaves at once but rather cheat by treating it more like a grace note. I personally find that to be quite musical and is forgivable if it sounds right. Before the modern piano, pianos came in different sizes that were smaller where the keys were less wide to make playing octaves easier. You can still order custom pianos to fit a certain size nowadays.

At 1/28/15 10:15 PM, Grandvision wrote: Yes, that scale, was shown, and it seems pretty easy to use and cater to almost any scale.

If it is any encouragement to you, modern technique books such as Alfred 1, etc., seem to stray away from the traditional form in teaching piano by focusing primarily on technique of an instrument rather than the musical aspect.
For a well-rounded learning of the piano, check out Letters to a Young Lady on the Art of Playing the Pianoforte by Czerny.
It's also in the public domain so you can download the PDF for free here.

Also useful and entertaining for all pianists is a short lecture from Benjamin Zander at TED.
He talks about quite a few things that are inspiring, but also shows how one could practically apply focusing on the musicality of a piece rather than just mere "playing" something.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-29 01:12:00 (edited 2015-01-29 01:12:17)

At 1/29/15 01:02 AM, Phonometrologist wrote: Also useful and entertaining for all pianists is a short lecture from Benjamin Zander at TED.

This TED talk is very much responsible for starting my journey into classical music. I remember watching it a few years ago with a violinist friend and wanting to immediately go home and learn to play that Prelude which is exactly what I did. Now I am a somewhat ok piano player with a limited, yet growing knowledge of classical music.

Thanks for the reminder. Was nice watching it again

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-29 01:29:00

At 1/29/15 01:12 AM, drumdude wrote: Thanks for the reminder. Was nice watching it again

It's funny that you replied and the TED talk inspired you as such in the past, because I just finished listening to Generic Suspense and I thoroughly enjoy your classical works.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-29 13:57:26

Someone posted a music video on YouTube of a song I wrote at age 15. That video has over 600,000 views. All the videos on my page have less than a combined 50k views.

Someone help me understand? Why did that video get so popular when the ones I uploaded didn't?

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-29 14:11:12

At 1/29/15 01:57 PM, BlazingDragon wrote: Someone posted a music video on YouTube of a song I wrote at age 15. That video has over 600,000 views. All the videos on my page have less than a combined 50k views.

Someone help me understand? Why did that video get so popular when the ones I uploaded didn't?

A generic title like that really increases your odds of that kind of attention. I assume that these listeners are your casual listeners merely looking for a song to be consumed for their emotional needs, and not really minding much who the composer is.

I imagine people just roaming youtube and thinking to themselves, "I want to hear a sad piano song."
*types in Sad Piano*
"I wonder what very sad piano songs sound like!"
*types in Very Sad Piano*
"Oooo look, a wolf!"

The Audio Forum Lounge

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-29 14:33:45

At 1/29/15 02:11 PM, Phonometrologist wrote:
At 1/29/15 01:57 PM, BlazingDragon wrote:

what he said. Aaaaaand youtube's a bitch!

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-29 16:15:49

At 1/29/15 01:57 PM, BlazingDragon wrote: Someone posted a music video on YouTube of a song I wrote at age 15. That video has over 600,000 views. All the videos on my page have less than a combined 50k views.

PewdiepieFans3 months ago
After years of boarding school I never understood why they left me there all alone scared without money I didn't know what to do

lol

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-30 01:45:27

How to stop myself from uploading low effort stuff?
It didn't bother me in the past, but it does now and I kinda think that I cannot stop because I'm addicted and used to ( to upload whatever I want regardless of quality)

Hello thar ;)

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-30 01:52:32

At 1/29/15 02:11 PM, Phonometrologist wrote: A generic title like that really increases your odds of that kind of attention. I assume that these listeners are your casual listeners merely looking for a song to be consumed for their emotional needs, and not really minding much who the composer is.

I imagine people just roaming youtube and thinking to themselves, "I want to hear a sad piano song."
*types in Sad Piano*
"I wonder what very sad piano songs sound like!"
*types in Very Sad Piano*
"Oooo look, a wolf!"

The sad truth! Would it be wrong to use generic song titles and pictures that have nothing to do with the music to gain views/followers? Is that the same as selling out, and would it wipe out my legitimacy as a composer?

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-30 03:27:23

At 1/30/15 01:52 AM, BlazingDragon wrote: The sad truth! Would it be wrong to use generic song titles and pictures that have nothing to do with the music to gain views/followers? Is that the same as selling out, and would it wipe out my legitimacy as a composer?

I look at it this way: if the music alone still has some integrity, then you're still a legitimate composer. Your methods in how you market and attract listeners is entirely within your discretion. It if works, all the more power to ya.
I wonder if people throw the term selling out too readily out of jealousy or envy. Selling out applies more to branding your name and actually selling something other than music-- generic song titles and pictures don't apply. And people choosing to "Sell out" don't bother me, nor do I think one should refrain from it as it shouldn't allow to affect one's music either way.

I look at the name Two Steps from Hell and even the track names have a certain appeal to them to attract more listeners. To come to think of it, "Sad Piano Song" actually describes a piece more accurately than "Balls to the Wall" by Two Steps from Hell, albeit as subjective of a description it may be. But I could argue that there's still some kind of marketability in names like that-- perhaps just a bit more subtle.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-30 08:04:04

At 1/30/15 01:45 AM, Deshiel wrote: How to stop myself from uploading low effort stuff?
It didn't bother me in the past, but it does now and I kinda think that I cannot stop because I'm addicted and used to ( to upload whatever I want regardless of quality)

Before you upload your stuff, listen to some of your favorite songs on here. Then think: 'I don't want my crap to be on the same site as these slick tunes'. First thing I came up with...

In other news, I just fucked up a test that was partially about low-pass and high-pass filters. *stares at hands* how...

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-30 08:07:16

At 1/30/15 08:04 AM, LiquidOoze wrote:

Before you upload your stuff, listen to some of your favorite songs on here. Then think: 'I don't want my crap to be on the same site as these slick tunes'. First thing I came up with...

In other news, I just fucked up a test that was partially about low-pass and high-pass filters. *stares at hands* how...

I'll try that. It might help :)

Hello thar ;)

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-30 08:46:45

Happy happy birthday to @SineRider today!

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-30 09:02:04

At 1/30/15 08:46 AM, Mich wrote: Happy happy birthday to @SineRider today!

Orly? Happy bday @SineRider, when are you coming back here to chat?

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-30 09:48:45

At 1/30/15 09:02 AM, LiquidOoze wrote:
At 1/30/15 08:46 AM, Mich wrote: Happy happy birthday to @SineRider today!
Orly? Happy bday @SineRider, when are you coming back here to chat?

Thanks guys :D I still stop by here every once in awhile

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-30 19:39:41

At 1/30/15 09:48 AM, SineRider wrote:
Thanks guys :D I still stop by here every once in awhile

I think back to our dumb step collabs every now and then and cry happy tears. Happy birthday you wonderful tone riding fish you.

quarl BandCamp

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-31 08:24:23

On the topic of birthdays, I turned 21 today ^^

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-31 08:54:05

At 1/31/15 08:24 AM, LiquidOoze wrote: On the topic of birthdays, I turned 21 today ^^

welcome to adulthood it kind of sucks :D happy birthday ;)