Be a Supporter!

The Audio Forum Lounge

  • 1,231,862 Views
  • 36,848 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
alternativesolution
alternativesolution
  • Member since: Dec. 24, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-05-04 16:48:31 Reply

At 5/4/13 04:34 PM, Braiton wrote:
At 5/4/13 04:00 PM, alternativesolution wrote: Obviously he has some issues. I mean I have that wtf why did I just do something like that moment all the time, but not with killing..
More like...what kind of mother buys a gun as a present for her son's 11th birthday

I FORGOT ABOUT THAT. holy shit that was unbelievably stupid.
and

Dad: Oh yeah he threatened to kill her before, but I didn't think he was serious.
Kid texts dad: I killed mom.
Dad: Haha, go throw her in the grove
Kid: ...
Dad: Oh so you were serious...

This whole thing really bothers me

Also, I feel like I read this news sometime last year though... unless this is some sort of usual thing now...


------->>> Post a random word ------->>>New gons

BBS Signature
Step
Step
  • Member since: Nov. 4, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Musician

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Member since: Aug. 14, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 38
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-05-04 17:25:48 Reply

At 5/4/13 04:45 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Great... here comes Jack Thompson and the "Video games are evil Brigade".

While it is the opposite obviously. It's because the kid's mother took away his video game that he shot his mother.


BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Member since: Dec. 11, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-05-04 17:33:14 Reply

At 5/4/13 05:25 PM, SourJovis wrote:
At 5/4/13 04:45 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Great... here comes Jack Thompson and the "Video games are evil Brigade".
While it is the opposite obviously. It's because the kid's mother took away his video game that he shot his mother.

The parents bought their clearly mentally ill son a fucking gun as a present when he was 11 years old.

I'm pretty sure that's called bad parenting.

Also... what about her taking away his video game prompted him to try rape his own mother? Last I checked, COD is not a rape simulator.

I'd just like to mention that I hate the COD franchise with a passion... but blaming the game for a kid raping and killing his own mother is ludicrous.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
alternativesolution
alternativesolution
  • Member since: Dec. 24, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-05-04 17:46:41 Reply

At 5/4/13 05:33 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: The parents bought their clearly mentally ill son a fucking gun as a present when he was 11 years old.

I'm pretty sure that's called bad parenting.

I agree completely.

I'd just like to mention that I hate the COD franchise with a passion... but blaming the game for a kid raping and killing his own mother is ludicrous.

I don't particularly care for the game... at all...okay I hate it. What do I think is that, especially for this kid, that game was probably not helping his situation... I mean, he SHOT HIS MOTHER and did not appear to think that that would have any effect? Nope.. Not until he sees her bleeding to death, not responding....dead. Things like that only happen in games, where it does not affect you physically ...because it is a GAME.
For someone with his stability, he obviously can't seem to tell reality is very different from games... so I think in this case, while I can't guarantee the game has caused any of this to happen, it has certainly not helped one bit...
Personally I think he is way too young to be playing that game in the first place, and the whole buying your kid a gun thing was just so, so stupid. So much wrong here. Aghhhhh.


------->>> Post a random word ------->>>New gons

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Member since: Dec. 11, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-05-04 18:03:17 Reply

At 5/4/13 05:46 PM, alternativesolution wrote:
At 5/4/13 05:33 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: The parents bought their clearly mentally ill son a fucking gun as a present when he was 11 years old.

I'm pretty sure that's called bad parenting.
I agree completely.

I'd just like to mention that I hate the COD franchise with a passion... but blaming the game for a kid raping and killing his own mother is ludicrous.
I don't particularly care for the game... at all...okay I hate it. What do I think is that, especially for this kid, that game was probably not helping his situation... I mean, he SHOT HIS MOTHER and did not appear to think that that would have any effect? Nope.. Not until he sees her bleeding to death, not responding....dead. Things like that only happen in games, where it does not affect you physically ...because it is a GAME.
For someone with his stability, he obviously can't seem to tell reality is very different from games... so I think in this case, while I can't guarantee the game has caused any of this to happen, it has certainly not helped one bit...
Personally I think he is way too young to be playing that game in the first place, and the whole buying your kid a gun thing was just so, so stupid. So much wrong here. Aghhhhh.

I agree with that... but that's not the game's fault... again, it's up to the parents to regulate what their kids should or shouldn't be doing. The game didn't put a gun in the kids hands, nor did it tell him to shoot his mother. If he can't tell game from reality, he isn't right in the head to begin with, be it the fault of an illness or the parents not enforcing reality on the kid.

I just hate it when people like Jack Thompson come along and say shit like, "This person murdered someone because they play video games."

It's just as bad as the people who bash on musicians (Marilyn Manson is a big one on this line of thought) for the music they make, as if it's their fault someone went and shot up a school.

And yet... no one ever seems to blame Movies or TV shows... when they're the worst offenders of all. Rape in a movie? No one even bats an eyelash... But if someone breathes on the neck of a woman in a game, it's considered rape and everyone throws a fit (The new Tomb Raider).

Not saying people should be blaming movies, because it's not the fault of any medium of entertainment, people don't become murderers or psychopaths because they listen to, or watch, anything in particular, they often murder people because they have issues that they, or their family, don't take the time to get help for.


Audio/BBS Mod
News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Member since: Aug. 14, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 38
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-05-04 18:24:51 Reply

At 5/4/13 05:33 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
The parents bought their clearly mentally ill son a fucking gun as a present when he was 11 years old.

I'm pretty sure that's called bad parenting.

Also... what about her taking away his video game prompted him to try rape his own mother? Last I checked, COD is not a rape simulator.

I'd just like to mention that I hate the COD franchise with a passion... but blaming the game for a kid raping and killing his own mother is ludicrous.

I know I know. You're right. It has nothing to do with the game, but with the parents giving their 11 year old a gun. Who does that? Whether he's mentally ill or not. And I have no idea where the rape thing comes from. No normal human being would try to do that. Better to let him shoot people in a game than hurt or kill in real life.


BBS Signature
alternativesolution
alternativesolution
  • Member since: Dec. 24, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-05-04 18:29:04 Reply

At 5/4/13 06:03 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: I agree with that... but that's not the game's fault... again, it's up to the parents to regulate what their kids should or shouldn't be doing. The game didn't put a gun in the kids hands, nor did it tell him to shoot his mother. If he can't tell game from reality, he isn't right in the head to begin with, be it the fault of an illness or the parents not enforcing reality on the kid.

Not saying people should be blaming movies, because it's not the fault of any medium of entertainment, people don't become murderers or psychopaths because they listen to, or watch, anything in particular, they often murder people because they have issues that they, or their family, don't take the time to get help for.

Yes, precisely. What I am saying is that although the game is not directly responsible, playing it probably didn't help his already-present condition. He had a problem to begin with, that was either caused or exacerbated by overall bad parenting. By no means should games be blamed for the cause of all this madness... the same is for people who do watch TV and movies like that. I don't think it's that nobody cares about what's happening on TV, though... at least I don't. I think it can also present a major problem.
Both have their issues, and my only problem is that there is a difference. On TV, you just watch and see what is already there (however horrific it is), but with a game...there is a sense of control. And in the boy's case, a false sense of control. Games did not cause him to be this way, but like I said, it should not have been in his hands in the first place, due to his mental state.


------->>> Post a random word ------->>>New gons

BBS Signature
Step
Step
  • Member since: Nov. 4, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-05-04 18:48:56 Reply

I agree that video games get too much unjust flak about this kind of stuff, but I also agree that he was too young to play Call of Duty. There are some things, like Call of Duty, that people his age and below shouldn't have access to.

Most of the time, people that age simply don't have the maturity for certain things, and at that age playing violent games, watching adult movies, etc... could easily become a detriment towards mental development, simple as that. I'm not the type to categorise people based on their age but I think that in this case there's a good reason that there are age restrictions on so many things, even if they may not be needed for everyone.

I totally disagree with blaming video games when stuff like this happens since you can't just claim there to be a direct correlation with playing violent games and killing your mother, but I also think that the age ratings of games (and movies and any media for that matter) should be cared for a little more.

That said, regardless of age ratings, in the end it boils down to common sense and good parenting. If it gets to a point that their son snaps when the game is taken off him for getting bad grades (grades which could have even been due to the game in the first place), then - murder or no murder - something's wrong. He hasn't developed the maturity to play a violent game like Call of Duty without becoming obsessed.

I guess I'm just tired of seeing the 10-year-olds in my schoolbus swear at each other with more profanities and sexual insults than I even know of myself :(.


Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Member since: Aug. 14, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 38
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-05-04 19:25:36 Reply

It's only people that don't play video games themselves that blame them. It's easy to blame something you don't like. That's why more people blame games than films. Violent films are blamed as well at times though. Much more than books. Books get blamed as well.

I think there are a lot of people that can't tell violent games, books or films apart from real life violence and crimes, and therefore blame violent fiction for actual violence. Creators of violent entertainment receive a lot of death threads. It's not just 13 year old kids that turn violent because they can't tell truth from fiction, but the actual critics are guilty of this as well. It's very ironic I think.

Nobody would ever dream about blaming classic music, when a murderer likes Bach. Who would blame flowers when a rapist likes gardening? It's rather odd to make a direct causal connection when a criminal has interest in one way related to violence, but not with anything else. People like to point fingers.


BBS Signature
alternativesolution
alternativesolution
  • Member since: Dec. 24, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-05-04 20:50:23 Reply

At 5/4/13 06:48 PM, Step wrote: I also agree that he was too young to play Call of Duty. There are some things, like Call of Duty, that people his age and below shouldn't have access to.

Most of the time, people that age simply don't have the maturity for certain things, and at that age playing violent games, watching adult movies, etc... could easily become a detriment towards mental development, simple as that.

I guess I'm just tired of seeing the 10-year-olds in my schoolbus swear at each other with more profanities and sexual insults than I even know of myself :(.

Yes, yes...exactly. All of it. Ugh.

kids these days are....uhh...i don't even know anymore..
parents need to step up, too..


------->>> Post a random word ------->>>New gons

BBS Signature
SineRider
SineRider
  • Member since: Apr. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-05-04 21:47:37 Reply

Update to my last post, this is the other thing I got. It's pretty cool haha

The Audio Forum Lounge

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-05-04 21:47:57 Reply

At 5/4/13 08:50 PM, alternativesolution wrote: .

kids these days are....uhh...i don't even know anymore..
parents need to step up, too..

I have a feeling that our generation is going to be worse ...

but yeah whenever I start a family, I'll only let the kids play non-fps games till he is at LEAST 13. if he wants to play FPS games, I won't allow any "realistic" ones. after that I'll let him decide whatever games they like and want play after that.


lel

BBS Signature
midimachine
midimachine
  • Member since: Jan. 7, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-05-04 21:59:36 Reply

At 5/4/13 09:47 PM, Sequenced wrote:
At 5/4/13 08:50 PM, alternativesolution wrote: .

kids these days are....uhh...i don't even know anymore..
parents need to step up, too..
I have a feeling that our generation is going to be worse ...

but yeah whenever I start a family, I'll only let the kids play non-fps games till he is at LEAST 13. if he wants to play FPS games, I won't allow any "realistic" ones. after that I'll let him decide whatever games they like and want play after that.

pretty much how my mum was with my brother and i. we had to buy that shit for ourselves, smuggle it into the house and hope to god she didn't catch us playing them or we'd be out of a computer for a month haha


p.s. i am gay

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-05-04 23:26:42 Reply

At 5/4/13 06:03 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: If he can't tell game from reality, he isn't right in the head to begin with, be it the fault of an illness or the parents not enforcing reality on the kid.

FUCKING THIS^^^

krssvr
krssvr
  • Member since: Dec. 16, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-05-04 23:59:19 Reply

What really freaked me out is why the kid felt a compulsion to try to rape his mom, where does a kid get an idea like that anyway?


"I want to care but I just... don't" -Me
Need somewhere to host audio instantly?

BBS Signature
Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Member since: Oct. 11, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-05-05 04:58:33 Reply

COD doesn't have shit to do with it, and even if I'm against guns, neither have the weapon in itself. Kid would've gone equally mental over having something else taken away from him, that he really liked. Could've been anything, more or less.
On the subject of weapon, however, it's likely that he wouldn't be able to insta-rage-kill his mother if the US had banned guns, at least not as easy. I'm not gonna dive in to the whole gun debate here, but one of the issues is the easy access the US have to get guns. Less guns = less incidents, you can always count on there being mental people out there. Close quarter manslaughter or murder attempts are generally harder to perform.

At 5/4/13 11:59 PM, krssvr wrote: What really freaked me out is why the kid felt a compulsion to try to rape his mom, where does a kid get an idea like that anyway?

Probably from COD, he likely just tried to tea-bag her LOLOLOL.
no srsly that just help supporting the idea that this kid is mental as fuck in the first place.


Wakka wakka

JJM121
JJM121
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-05-05 18:25:30 Reply

Okay, just upgraded to FL Studio 11 yesterday. I didn't get much time to explore all the new plugins but as it is, it seems good.

DjAbbic
DjAbbic
  • Member since: Oct. 24, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-05-06 03:40:55 Reply

Komplete 9

Happy could be a word used to describe how I'm feeling at the moment.

The Audio Forum Lounge

la-yinn
la-yinn
  • Member since: Nov. 17, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 23
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-05-06 16:26:11 Reply

Neurofunk

If I could sell my soul for immense bass design knowledge, I would not hesitate.

anybody interested?

Latest tracks:
Sub Marines
Chemosound

B16
B16
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-05-06 16:29:44 Reply

At 5/4/13 09:47 PM, SineRider wrote: Update to my last post, this is the other thing I got. It's pretty cool haha

I can only imagine how much that cost you. Mark of the Unicorn is very expensive. At least in retail where I live.

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-05-06 16:30:08 Reply

At 5/6/13 04:26 PM, la-yinn wrote: Neurofunk

liquid dnb > neurofunk


lel

BBS Signature
Mich
Mich
  • Member since: Jan. 12, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 48
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-05-06 17:25:56 Reply

Redesigns

Holy shit guises. After over a half a year of hard work by our team, we've released the all new DI.fm. I've started the first bits of front-end development of the new design back in September/October, and since then we've hired another 2 front-end developers, and now it's finally ready to go. More features and updates to come over the next weeks / months.

While this post may be super advertising-y and spammy, it's something I'm pretty damned excited about. Huzzah. If we weren't all telecommuting we'd probably be getting drunk together now. Google hangouts are close enough.

SineRider
SineRider
  • Member since: Apr. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-05-06 17:27:04 Reply

At 5/6/13 04:29 PM, BrokenDeck wrote:
At 5/4/13 09:47 PM, SineRider wrote: Update to my last post, this is the other thing I got. It's pretty cool haha
I can only imagine how much that cost you. Mark of the Unicorn is very expensive. At least in retail where I live.

Yeah man, it retails at around $500, it's really well built though, I must say.

But, I won it in an audio contest at my college along with some software, like MOTU BPM, Ethno, Ozone 5, Alloy 2, Nectar, and McDSP Emerald pack :D

Step
Step
  • Member since: Nov. 4, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-05-06 18:08:21 Reply

At 5/6/13 03:40 AM, DjAbbic wrote: Komplete 9

Happy could be a word used to describe how I'm feeling at the moment.

Omg you copycat. It was my idea.

In all seriousness, congrats! Let us know what you think of it!


Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
DjAbbic
DjAbbic
  • Member since: Oct. 24, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-05-06 18:11:53 Reply

At 5/6/13 06:08 PM, Step wrote:
At 5/6/13 03:40 AM, DjAbbic wrote: Komplete 9

Happy could be a word used to describe how I'm feeling at the moment.
Omg you copycat. It was my idea.

In all seriousness, congrats! Let us know what you think of it!

It's gonna take me quite awhile to get familiar with all these plugins. So far it looks good. Hopefully I master these synths before the end of the year :S

ZipZipper
ZipZipper
  • Member since: Aug. 26, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-05-06 18:30:18 Reply

At 5/6/13 03:40 AM, DjAbbic wrote: Komplete 9

Happy could be a word used to describe how I'm feeling at the moment.

I'm jealous.


BBS Signature
Quarl
Quarl
  • Member since: May. 30, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-05-06 20:09:25 Reply

Don't hate, but I was on okcupid and almost threw up when I read this...

The Audio Forum Lounge

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-05-06 21:53:55 Reply

I can never find a good image for my music. ffs why do people make it seem like it's so easy


lel

BBS Signature
SineRider
SineRider
  • Member since: Apr. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-05-06 22:15:56 Reply

At 5/6/13 09:53 PM, Sequenced wrote: I can never find a good image for my music. ffs why do people make it seem like it's so easy

Make your own :)