00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Cuddlymuffintop just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Devolve not opposite of evolve

15,861 Views | 38 Replies

Devolve not opposite of evolve 2009-01-03 17:07:01

Hay guys, after reading people misusing the world "devolve" a few times this week across the net, I decided to do my part in unraping (see what I did there?) the English language.

So, let gets this clear. Devolve is not the opposite of evolve.

When people misuse this word, they often think of it as a negative evolutionary change. Like, if humans got dumber, they would call it devolving. But this is very incorrect. Here is what devolve actually means:

1. To pass on or delegate to another: The senator devolved the duties of office upon a group of aides.
2. Archaic. To cause to roll onward or downward.
3. To be passed on or transferred to another: The burden of proof devolved upon the defendant. The estate devolved to an unlikely heir.
4. To degenerate or deteriorate gradually: After several hours the discussion had devolved into a shouting match.
5. Archaic. To roll onward or downward.

Now, as you see, devolve CAN be used to mean negative change. It can be used to "To degenerate or deteriorate gradually". But you have to understand that this has absolutely nothing to do with evolution or evolving. Let's look at why.

If I walk from my living room to my kitchen, I have "walked". If I was to go back, I haven't "unwalked" or "antiwalked". I have simply walked again, in the other direction.

Evolution is the same. Evolution, even in a direction that might not look very advantageous or positive, is still evolution. It is absolutely not called devolving or anything like that. A primate getting a bigger brain is evolution, and a primate getting a smaller brain is evolution. I guess you could use evolution in the same way you use the word change. You don't "dechange" things, you "change" back.

In fact, in terms of evolution, there is no absolute rules on what is better and not. You might think that becoming dumber is always a negative change, but, this does not need to be true. Perhaps a smaller brain means you don't have to eat so much (the brain does use quite a lot of energy), or perhaps it means your now smaller brain isn't as exposed to damage.

That is all. You may now resume your debating and discussion, hopefully with one less potential misuses of an important term. Thank you.

http://drakim.net - My exploits for those interested

Response to Devolve not opposite of evolve 2009-01-03 17:16:20

But you're assuming Evolution is true.

I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself someone is going to say it, it's better you hear it from someone who isn't insane and knows that claim is untrue.

Response to Devolve not opposite of evolve 2009-01-03 17:39:50

Another argument is this is to look at what evolution is.

Evolution is long term natural selection and what is natural selection? The process in which the organisms that are fit to survive do survive and the ones who aren't die. So, therefore, we can't "devolve" the species with technological advancements that make us lazier unless that laziness for some reason ends in the gradual death of everyone who's lazy. You can't "devolve" yourself.

Evolution is a gradual process creating change over time and the human race isn't the only species that's evolving so no, we have not stuck a fork in evolution.

Heh, I like your walking metaphor.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to Devolve not opposite of evolve 2009-01-03 17:55:41

Well, that could just be bad wording. Like how "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing. Also, how "congress" isn't the opposite of "progress". Although some would disagree...

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to Devolve not opposite of evolve 2009-01-03 18:01:34

Well of course we can't devolve since we're God's creation and thus perfect. It would be foolish to think anything can devolve!

BBS Signature

Response to Devolve not opposite of evolve 2009-01-03 18:13:40

At 1/3/09 06:01 PM, poxpower wrote: Well of course we can't devolve since we're God's creation and thus perfect. It would be foolish to think anything can devolve!

Oh, do shut up.

Is this making a contribution, or being a sarcastic asshole?

My PSN: Obilisk745

"Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets."

Add me on Steam! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Devolve not opposite of evolve 2009-01-03 18:27:55

1/3/09 06:01 PM, poxpower wrote:

Well of course we can't devolve since we're God's creation and thus perfect. It would be foolish to think anything can devolve!

I don't think that you should incorporate religion into this.

He didn't say anything about him believing in evolution or anything supporting evolution, he is just informing everyone what the definition of devolve is because he's been seeing it used wrongly.

BBS Signature

Response to Devolve not opposite of evolve 2009-01-03 19:41:29

At 1/3/09 06:27 PM, MichaelHurst wrote: 1/3/09 06:01 PM, poxpower wrote:
I don't think that you should incorporate religion into this.

He didn't say anything about him believing in evolution or anything supporting evolution, he is just informing everyone what the definition of devolve is because he's been seeing it used wrongly.

And pox was just being sarcastic, I'm afraid. (since he is an atheist who argues for evolution all the time)

Response to Devolve not opposite of evolve 2009-01-03 20:01:37

At 1/3/09 07:41 PM, Drakim wrote: And pox was just being sarcastic, I'm afraid. (since he is an atheist who argues for evolution all the time)

Ugh, I just started coming to the politics forum :/.

BBS Signature

Response to Devolve not opposite of evolve 2009-01-03 20:19:07

At 1/3/09 07:41 PM, Drakim wrote:
And pox was just being sarcastic, I'm afraid. (since he is an atheist who argues for evolution all the time)

And then there's you, who creates every single religious/evolution based topic in recent existance despite their being discussed to death.

Response to Devolve not opposite of evolve 2009-01-03 20:20:19

At 1/3/09 08:19 PM, Memorize wrote: And then there's you, who creates every single religious/evolution based topic in recent existance despite their being discussed to death.

Yeah, and I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for you kids and that stupid dog!

Response to Devolve not opposite of evolve 2009-01-03 20:35:47

At 1/3/09 08:19 PM, Memorize wrote:
At 1/3/09 07:41 PM, Drakim wrote:
And then there's you, who creates every single religious/evolution based topic in recent existance despite their being discussed to death.

If I talk about one thing a million times, or a million things once, what specific field will I have more knowledge on?

Response to Devolve not opposite of evolve 2009-01-03 21:14:44

At 1/3/09 06:01 PM, poxpower wrote: Well of course we can't devolve since we're God's creation and thus perfect. It would be foolish to think anything can devolve!

No no, you don't understand.

We as humans with free will, we have the ability to sin, its been known that if you do bad things the chances are you're going to get hurt or die (drugs for example)
But anyway, its been implied to me that the human DNA has been devolving (deteriorating) over time, notice how there are more people sick now than ever before, more diseases we're suseptable to more now than ever, all these drugs that have all these horrible side affects now more than ever.

But anyway, everyone has their own belief about how humanity is royaly boned.

And Pox, if you don't believe in God then you really shouldn't type things in a way that insists you do, maybe you were just joking but it can be taken the oposite way.
As I said we humans aren't perfect due to our free will to sin, God is perfect and we have all fell short of his perfect expectations.

BBS Signature

Response to Devolve not opposite of evolve 2009-01-03 21:26:18

At 1/3/09 09:14 PM, Shaggytheclown17 wrote:
No no, you don't understand.

We as humans with free will, we have the ability to sin, its been known that if you do bad things the chances are you're going to get hurt or die (drugs for example)

This has nothing to do at all with the topic at hand or anything at all! Pox just made a joke! Did you just feel like coming here and talking about Christianity?

But anyway, its been implied to me that the human DNA has been devolving (deteriorating) over time, notice how there are more people sick now than ever before, more diseases we're suseptable to more now than ever, all these drugs that have all these horrible side affects now more than ever.

It is not true. Check any person educated within this, just ANY, and you'll hear that it's not true. But you are going to ignore this and pretend it's a "maybe", aren't you?

But anyway, everyone has their own belief about how humanity is royaly boned.

Funny how yours is "I'm going to get the best reward ever while all who are diffrent from me are going to suffer!". Sounds a little...petty, doesn't it?

And Pox, if you don't believe in God then you really shouldn't type things in a way that insists you do, maybe you were just joking but it can be taken the oposite way.

Yeah, MAYBE he was joking, you know, since he is a hardcore atheist who argues for evolution and atheism all the time! You have even had several debates with him! How can you not at glance see that he is joking?

As I said we humans aren't perfect due to our free will to sin, God is perfect and we have all fell short of his perfect expectations.

Ah, but God is perfect and God created us in his image, so we must be perfect too. You can't argue against this. If you do, it's just because you can't accept it.

Response to Devolve not opposite of evolve 2009-01-03 21:51:37

At 1/3/09 09:26 PM, Drakim wrote:
Ah, but God is perfect and God created us in his image, so we must be perfect too. You can't argue against this. If you do, it's just because you can't accept it.

I can't stress this enough.
I said that God gave us free will.....
And if we choose to sin against him, we aren't worthy anymore, we may as well be perfect seeing as we're the only creature that can adapt the way we do, and free will if perfect isn't it?
I told you before, sin against god = you aren't perfect in God's eyes, I dunno how many times I gotta explain it.

If you explain which belief you're talking about maybe I can help.

BBS Signature

Response to Devolve not opposite of evolve 2009-01-03 21:56:12

At 1/3/09 09:51 PM, Shaggytheclown17 wrote: I can't stress this enough.

If we have free will then the prophecies can't happen. Because if a prophecy were to happen it would mean the future can't be changed. But if we do that would mean the prophecies can be changed.

Response to Devolve not opposite of evolve 2009-01-03 21:58:55

At 1/3/09 09:51 PM, Shaggytheclown17 wrote:
At 1/3/09 09:26 PM, Drakim wrote:
I can't stress this enough.
And if we choose to sin against him, we aren't worthy anymore, we may as well be perfect seeing as we're the only creature that can adapt the way we do, and free will if perfect isn't it?
I told you before, sin against god = you aren't perfect in God's eyes, I dunno how many times I gotta explain it.

If you explain which belief you're talking about maybe I can help.

I knew you couldn't accept it. You just have to realize one day that you have to trust in God's word rather than your own ideas. It's hard for many, because they want their way rather than God's way.

Response to Devolve not opposite of evolve 2009-01-03 21:59:02

I don't know much about prophecies dude, so I'll leave you to deal with that lol

BBS Signature

Response to Devolve not opposite of evolve 2009-01-03 22:00:13

At 1/3/09 09:59 PM, Shaggytheclown17 wrote: I don't know much about prophecies dude, so I'll leave you to deal with that lol

Read the Bible there's just over 100 in it.

Response to Devolve not opposite of evolve 2009-01-03 22:00:40

Darkim, I have no idea what you're talking about.

BBS Signature

Response to Devolve not opposite of evolve 2009-01-03 22:01:34

At 1/3/09 10:00 PM, Shaggytheclown17 wrote: Darkim, I have no idea what you're talking about.

I just hope you understand before you have to stand before God to face your judgment. By then, it will be too late.

Response to Devolve not opposite of evolve 2009-01-03 22:13:21

At 1/3/09 08:19 PM, Memorize wrote: gabble gabble

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H6JbsADa Ns
hahaha

BBS Signature

Response to Devolve not opposite of evolve 2009-01-04 03:28:47

At 1/3/09 10:13 PM, poxpower wrote:
At 1/3/09 08:19 PM, Memorize wrote: gabble gabble
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H6JbsADa Ns
hahaha

Way to bash somone for their beliefs, intolerant bastard.
I have a little something for you, if thats the way you want to play it, you'd better know how to lose.

BBS Signature

Response to Devolve not opposite of evolve 2009-01-04 15:03:11

At 1/4/09 03:28 AM, Shaggytheclown17 wrote: I have a little something for you,

I have a little something for you. It's nice to see you support people who admit being liars.

Response to Devolve not opposite of evolve 2009-01-04 15:08:43

At 1/4/09 03:03 PM, Brick-top wrote:
I have a little something for you. It's nice to see you support people who admit being liars.

They're a perfect match. ;]

Response to Devolve not opposite of evolve 2009-01-05 01:02:37

Thats right, you take 1 person from the religious side to create an assholic generalization and I can take 10 more and create a giant demoralizing generalization thats actually true, you are in a losing battle 8P

BBS Signature

Response to Devolve not opposite of evolve 2009-01-05 08:05:55

At 1/5/09 01:02 AM, Shaggytheclown17 wrote:
At 1/4/09 03:03 PM, Brick-top wrote: I have a little something for you. It's nice to see you support people who admit being liars.
Thats right, you take 1 person from the religious side to create an assholic generalization and I can take 10 more and create a giant demoralizing generalization thats actually true, you are in a losing battle 8P

I like how you're trying to wriggle out of this one.
This one person from your "side" is incidentally someone you seem to hold in great reverence. You think his points are valid, right? Well, he's admitted to being a liar. Trying to sweep that point aside and attacking the fact that Brick-Top said "people" instead of "a person" is petty of you.
Admit it. You agree with this lying venom-tongued slime-ball called VenomFangX. How are we supposed to take you seriously if you use a self-admitted liar to make your points?

Response to Devolve not opposite of evolve 2009-01-05 08:26:12

At 1/5/09 08:05 AM, Neptunus wrote:
I like how you're trying to wriggle out of this one.

I dunno what you're talking about, I'm not in anything.

This one person from your "side" is incidentally someone you seem to hold in great reverence. You think his points are valid, right? Well, he's admitted to being a liar. Trying to sweep that point aside and attacking the fact that Brick-Top said "people" instead of "a person" is petty of you.

"My" side? I'd like to correct you, atheists,satists ect, aren't a "side" if you like to differ yourself from the human race you may want to make it a bit more clear so I can disregard everything you say.
I don't care if this person lied, you anyone everyone else lies, and I don't care what he lied about, you are the ones living a lie.
Using one person against the majority of people who believe different as you only makes your whole "side" look like some kind of sick cult made of the lowest scum of the earth.

Admit it. You agree with this lying venom-tongued slime-ball called VenomFangX. How are we supposed to take you seriously if you use a self-admitted liar to make your points?

I agree with alot of the things this person talks about, he means no harm to anyone and uses logic and reasoning to back up his claims. Again you and your "side" are liars, I don't give a shit if he lied about some stupid thing you just happened to see n use it as a last resort to cover your own screwy ass.

Like theamazingatheist's (theretardedatheist's) title of a crappy book he made "in defense of evil".
With that I take your generalization of venomfangX and make my own generalization of you, the "side" of evil. You will lose evil always will, and there is nothing you can do about it.

BBS Signature

Response to Devolve not opposite of evolve 2009-01-05 08:50:22

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahaha

BBS Signature

Response to Devolve not opposite of evolve 2009-01-05 14:22:47

At 1/5/09 01:02 AM, Shaggytheclown17 wrote:

You can take 10? Wow, I can take hundreds.

You completely missed my point. You can't judge an entire group based on a few people.

Because of you and venom I can say believers are moronic assholes who wouldn't know a fact if it bit in the ass. But I don't. I judge people differently based on their own personality.

Maybe you shouldn't be so intolerent when talking about Atheists.