00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

CantankerousCoyote just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Star Trek Crew

73,728 Views | 523 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Star Trek Crew 2013-09-22 17:36:54

At 9/22/13 04:15 PM, BrenTheMan wrote: (I haven't seen TOS, so maybe the answers are there.)

Kirk has only just taken command of the Enterprise at the start of TOS, taking over from Pike. Shatner was 36 at the time, so I guess we can assume Kirk was about the same age. Chris Pine is 33, so it's not a huge difference.

-WHY did they have to switch around Spock / Kirk dying...or have that at all. And when he screamed KHAAAAN. SO STUPID.

The Khan scream actually got a laugh in the cinema I was in. So incredibly misjudged, still can't believe it got through test screenings.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2013-09-22 17:40:59

At 9/22/13 05:36 PM, TheMaster wrote: Kirk has only just taken command of the Enterprise at the start of TOS, taking over from Pike. Shatner was 36 at the time, so I guess we can assume Kirk was about the same age. Chris Pine is 33, so it's not a huge difference.

I knew they both had to be in their 30s. Maybe it's the immaturity of Pine's character that really puts me off, plus he looks a lot younger to me than Shatner did then. Also, did he even graduate academy? In the first movie, it seems like he was wasting his life away until Pike spoke to him, then BAM he's captain. That just seems so implausible to me.

The Khan scream actually got a laugh in the cinema I was in. So incredibly misjudged, still can't believe it got through test screenings.

Ha good it's not just me then. That was so stupid.

Response to Star Trek Crew 2013-09-22 18:53:25

At 9/22/13 05:40 PM, BrenTheMan wrote: I knew they both had to be in their 30s. Maybe it's the immaturity of Pine's character that really puts me off, plus he looks a lot younger to me than Shatner did then. Also, did he even graduate academy? In the first movie, it seems like he was wasting his life away until Pike spoke to him, then BAM he's captain. That just seems so implausible to me.

Yeah, in the new continuity he jumps from cadet straight to Captain. It's a bit stupid, but a necessary concession when you've only got a single film to get from from enlisting to the Captain's chair. Came up through the ranks like any other officer in TOS.

What they should have done is had the first movie play out exactly as it did, but end with Kirk being given a field commission as a Lieutenant or something. Then just have a time skip between that and Into Darkness. Have a few lines of dialogue about how quickly Kirk has climbed the ranks in the 5 years or so that have passed since the first film, and then either start the film with him getting the Enterprise, or with him having only been in command for a few months.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2013-09-22 18:59:54

At 9/22/13 06:53 PM, TheMaster wrote: What they should have done is had the first movie play out exactly as it did, but end with Kirk being given a field commission as a Lieutenant or something. Then just have a time skip between that and Into Darkness. Have a few lines of dialogue about how quickly Kirk has climbed the ranks in the 5 years or so that have passed since the first film, and then either start the film with him getting the Enterprise, or with him having only been in command for a few months.

That would have been more plausible to me. I don't think it would have altered the accessibility of the movie either.

Response to Star Trek Crew 2013-10-03 14:24:55

I've still not seen Into Darkness yet myself. Been tempted to get it a couple times and I'll probably cave eventually. Still hasn't dropped in price since release on Amazon. I'll probably wait until it gets nearer to Christmas since it'll no doubt go on sale. It's only a tenner but I'm a cheapskate.

Watched the two "Trekkies" documentaries yesterday for the first time. I know people always call Trekkies weird but that was the first time I'd really witnessed the more extreme fans for myself. Does that level of fanaticism for the show still exist?

I remember a few years back their was this older, nerdy looking guy who I used to occasionally see walking around my town at lunch time with his comms badge or old looking Star Trek shirts. But other than that, I don't really have any memories of encountering some of the more quirky fans.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2014-02-17 20:02:39

If transporter technology can be used to restore people who've aged prematurely, then why can't they use the same pattern in the buffer to restore crew members who have recently died?

Is it just ethics, or is there more to it?

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2014-04-20 05:09:05

Finally got around to finishing off Deep Space Nine. To me, the ending feels somewhat anti-climactic. I was expecting all out war and a greater emphasis on that. The last few episodes sort of brought things to an abrupt end. I thought they'd have dragged out Odo's infection a bit longer and had some more elaborate space battles to end the Dominion war. But instead a small team manage to infiltrate the dominion command centre and just convince the founder to call it quits? It all just felt too sudden.

The ending of the Pah-wraith storyline was actually a lot more interesting to me, which is kind of surprising because I went through Deep Space Nine not really caring too much for all the emissary stuff.

Not to say I disliked Deep Space Nine or anything, I guess I just expected a more elaborate ending from it. Although it was nice to see those recap clips for various characters. It did make me realise just how far the show has come.

Will probably get myself the Voyager set at some point to watch through that.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2014-04-20 21:01:36

At 9/22/13 06:59 PM, BrenTheMan wrote:
At 9/22/13 06:53 PM, TheMaster wrote:

Kirk has climbed the ranks in the 5 years or so that have passed since the first film, and then either start the film with him getting the Enterprise, or with him having only been in command for a few months.

That would have been more plausible to me. I don't think it would have altered the accessibility of the movie either.

That bothered me as well, but I tried to ignore it and enjoy the film.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2014-04-23 07:38:32

Heya guys, mind if I join in?
Star Trek fan since forever (unfortunatly didn't get to see every single episode yet, buuut I'm working on it XD. Can't say I care too much about Enterprise though... just doesn't feel like how Star Trek is supposed to be).

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2014-09-11 21:56:14

At 4/23/14 07:38 AM, Tattorack wrote: Heya guys, mind if I join in?
Star Trek fan since forever (unfortunatly didn't get to see every single episode yet, buuut I'm working on it XD. Can't say I care too much about Enterprise though... just doesn't feel like how Star Trek is supposed to be).

Welcome!

I'm currently on Season 7 of my 2nd DS9 runthrough

Response to Star Trek Crew 2014-09-12 05:11:09

At 9/11/14 09:56 PM, Frenzy wrote:
At 4/23/14 07:38 AM, Tattorack wrote: Heya guys, mind if I join in?
Welcome!

I'm currently on Season 7 of my 2nd DS9 runthrough

Right now I'm on season 5 of TNG, and season 3 of DS9, but paused it because I'm waiting with watching DS9 till that time has arrived in TNG.

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2014-09-12 20:15:56

At 9/12/14 05:11 AM, Tattorack wrote: I'm waiting with watching DS9 till that time has arrived in TNG.

You'll be disappointed because DS9 barely makes any references to what's happening with TNG or the Next-Gen movies.

Plus there is never any mention of Voyager.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2014-09-13 04:26:57

At 9/12/14 08:15 PM, Painbringer wrote:
At 9/12/14 05:11 AM, Tattorack wrote: I'm waiting with watching DS9 till that time has arrived in TNG.
You'll be disappointed because DS9 barely makes any references to what's happening with TNG or the Next-Gen movies.

Plus there is never any mention of Voyager.

Not even with Worf around?
There was a lot of TNG refs in the first season though, so I suppose the Enterprise just isn't important enough to talk about on DS9, since their missions and problems are also of a different nature...
Didn't the Voyager series start near the very end of the DS9 series?

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2014-09-13 05:35:36

At 9/13/14 04:26 AM, Tattorack wrote: Not even with Worf around?

Worf only came on board because the Enterprise D was destroyed in the movie Star Trek: Generations. And the only mention of the movie First Contact was "The recent borg attack."

There was a lot of TNG refs in the first season though, so I suppose the Enterprise just isn't important enough to talk about on DS9, since their missions and problems are also of a different nature...

That and the people who made DS9 wanted to separate themselves from the "too perfect" Next Generation.

Didn't the Voyager series start near the very end of the DS9 series?

Voyager started in 1996; which is right about in the middle of DS9. The USS Voyager even launched from DS9, but it was never shown or made mention of in DS9.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2014-09-13 15:49:38

Well... yeah, I know why Worf came to DS9 (that was a very awesome movie by the way 8D ).
And its sort of understandable that there isn't much mention of the Borg attack on sector 001 (remote station and all).
But Worf never mentions anything about past experiences? Nothing like "Argh! I hate situations like these! It reminds me of blah blah"?

Yes of course, Sisko shouldn't have been a repetition of Picard.
Its made very clear that the situation is messy, and Sisko has to try to glue one randomly shaped lump to another and make things work as good as (so to speak).

I know Voyager disembarked from Terok Nor, her first mission was in the Badlands after all.
But there is really no mention of it n DS9?
I was hoping you'd see some of the crew just before they'd go on their first mission.
Maybe Voyager was too quickly tacked on as a series?

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2014-09-15 00:32:35

I am so happy that BBC shows two episodes of Star Trek: TNG during the week. A classic TV series.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2016-05-19 19:07:31

The new logo looks like it's been assimilated by the Borg.

Early to mid 25th Century, perhaps?

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2016-06-03 14:46:38

i fucking hate janeway's voice its just so awkward.

never really cared for the characters at all except maybe harry kim

honestly in some episodes I just wanted them to suffer

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2016-06-15 14:47:31

I only like Wrath of Khan, Khan kicks ass.

Response to Star Trek Crew 2016-07-16 22:17:57

i've liked the new movies i've seen, have accepted that they're a totally different story than i'm familiar with.

i like the original series, like next generation, enjoyed what i saw of voyager, and most the movies are pretty golden. most the rest, not so much my thing.

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

Response to Star Trek Crew 2016-08-22 15:32:43

At 7/16/16 08:59 PM, SithCorduroy wrote: https://twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/754345543606738944

Uh oh.

Shatner just called somebody an SJW.

It's on now.

Even Shatner knows that SJWs belong in the trash.

Response to Star Trek Crew 2016-08-23 23:40:12

Hey I thought you guys in this group might like a painting I did featuring Spock, Kirk and Mccoy :)

Response to Star Trek Crew 2016-08-31 23:40:52

At 8/23/16 11:40 PM, Amie-de-Boer wrote: Hey I thought you guys in this group might like a painting I did featuring Spock, Kirk and Mccoy :)
http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/amie-de-boer/star-trek-trouble-with-tribbles

I love it! Are you planning on doing any more Star Trek art?

Response to Star Trek Crew 2016-09-01 20:19:38

I love it! Are you planning on doing any more Star Trek art?

I would like to do more, perhaps if you have a request for something that might be fun?

Response to Star Trek Crew 2016-10-01 12:34:13

Gotta say that JJ has done an outstanding job with the new film.

PS @Bit you have animated boobs in your sig haha, That might not go over too well with the Bit for mod campaign :)

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2016-10-04 12:58:24

At 10/4/16 12:30 PM, Quisty wrote: Star Trek: The Next Generation is the BEST show. My fiance keeps trying to get me to watch the original show with Kirk, but I love Pichard. The intelligence behind the show is just brilliant.

Side note: I got to talk to Marina Sirtis (Diana Troi) a few years ago at a con, and she said she was very close to the Roddenberry family and Majel (Mrs. Roddenberry), who played Lwaxana Troi, was like a real mother to her. It was interesting to hear.

Marina Sirtis is actually a very funny woman and I always crack up whenever I watch YT videos of hte conventions she does panels at.

Response to Star Trek Crew 2016-10-04 12:59:11

At 10/1/16 12:34 PM, XwaynecoltX wrote: Gotta say that JJ has done an outstanding job with the new film.

PS @Bit you have animated boobs in your sig haha, That might not go over too well with the Bit for mod campaign :)

~X~

JJ had very little to do on that film. Justin Lin directed Beyond.

Response to Star Trek Crew 2017-03-21 17:00:03

You know, I think CBS is using Big Brother Canada to promote the new Star Trek series.

This season, the Big Brother house is actually a "space ship." And not only does it look similar to a Trek ship, but it's name is the "Odyssey" which sounds similar to "Discovery".

I think they'll be making a major announcement about the Star Trek: Discovery show as the Big Brother Canada season progresses.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2017-05-21 00:06:35

You all invoke the wrath of Khan.

Star Trek Crew

Response to Star Trek Crew 2017-06-07 16:35:42

Never realized there was a Star Trek Crew on NG.

I've watched quite a lot when I was a kid. But since my wife never was into it when she was younger we decided to watch all of it on Netflix. We are through TOS and even TAS. Some good stuff, but of course sometimes hopelessly outdated.

Right now we are at season 2 of TNG. Season 1 was ok, season 2 a bit disappointing. Maybe because it has so awful episodes like 'Samaritan Snare', which I think is the most stupid Star Trek episode ever, followed by the only slightly better 'Up The Long Ladder'.

But at least season 2 also introduces the Borg and also explores the Klingons a bit further. So it's not entirely bad. Plus, there are so many great episodes yet to come and even some episodes I've not seen as a kid. Really looking forward to it.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38