00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Star Trek Crew

73,610 Views | 523 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Star Trek Crew 2013-02-02 17:33:45

At 2/1/13 08:53 PM, TheMaster wrote: I wasn't hugely impressed with TMP the first time I saw it, but it's definitely grown on me over time. Khan is an immense step up and probably the best bit of the entire Trek franchise.

The Wrath of Khan was most definitely a set up. A big one. I just felt a whole lot more professional. There was no messing about with excessive display of special effects and it just felt like an overall much better film. Even though I know that we've still not seen the last of Spock, the ending was a little sad. If I was watching that film in the cinema back then, I'd have been gutted that they killed off Spock!

Enterprise is a hell of a lot better than Voyager, in my opinion. Especially season 4. Into Darkness is out in May, and I'm not very hopeful based on the trailers. Will still definitely see it, though.

I'm a little surprised to hear you say that. I think most opinions that I've read consider Enterprise to bad or they only consider season 4 to be good and wish all the seasons were more like that. I suppose a lot of people would have just dismissed it before getting to season 4 though. I'd still like to see it eventually.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2013-02-02 18:15:24

At 2/2/13 05:33 PM, Dean wrote: I'm a little surprised to hear you say that. I think most opinions that I've read consider Enterprise to bad or they only consider season 4 to be good and wish all the seasons were more like that. I suppose a lot of people would have just dismissed it before getting to season 4 though. I'd still like to see it eventually.

Really? I always got the impression Voyager was the most despised series. At worst Enterprise is boring, Voyager causes physical pain.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2013-02-03 13:26:09

At 2/2/13 06:15 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 2/2/13 05:33 PM, Dean wrote: I'm a little surprised to hear you say that. I think most opinions that I've read consider Enterprise to bad or they only consider season 4 to be good and wish all the seasons were more like that. I suppose a lot of people would have just dismissed it before getting to season 4 though. I'd still like to see it eventually.
Really? I always got the impression Voyager was the most despised series. At worst Enterprise is boring, Voyager causes physical pain.

Enterprise Season 2 is the worst season of any of the franchises, though the series got WAY better with seasons 3 and 4. Voyager didn't reach quite the lows of that one season of Enterprise, but on the whole it was more disappointing. That's my two cents ;)

Response to Star Trek Crew 2013-02-03 13:35:29

Speaking of Voyager hate, if you want to hear the funniest Star Trek discussion you've ever heard, check out this old episode of Gamewank. It's the off-topic outtakes from a video games show.

http://gamewank.com/2009/11/gamewank-unheard-shenanigans-off -cuts-clip-show/

There's other stuff in there too, but there's 3 clips where they talk about Star Trek. One directed at Abrams Trek, and two at Voyager, all hilarious.

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2013-02-09 11:41:53

Caught half of an episode of Enterprise on TV yesterday, the first Augment one.

Fuck I wish this show had gotten the full 7 seasons it deserved. There's so much to like despite the flaws.

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2013-02-11 23:29:10

Abrams can't direct movies in general, nevermind Trek movies. :P

IMHO, they should try and get Nicholas Meyer to do another one. A nitty gritty Trek movie but without cheesy sex and action scenes would be a welcome return IMO

Response to Star Trek Crew 2013-02-11 23:38:18

At 1/23/13 10:05 PM, Frenzy wrote: Alright, what's everyone favourite Star Trek episode of all time?

I know I'm late ot this, but heck this is a slow moving thread anyways :P

"The Inner Light"

Response to Star Trek Crew 2013-02-12 08:05:00

At 2/11/13 11:29 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: Abrams can't direct movies in general, nevermind Trek movies. :P

IMHO, they should try and get Nicholas Meyer to do another one. A nitty gritty Trek movie but without cheesy sex and action scenes would be a welcome return IMO

Duncan Jones would be my first pick for a Trek director. He's probably the best sci-fi writer/director currently working.

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2013-03-03 12:30:04

Today would have been James Doohan's 93rd birthday. He seemed like a pretty nice guy.

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2013-03-03 13:55:49

I've been rewatching season 5 of TNG.

One of the most consistently brilliant seasons of TV ever. Every episode is great.

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2013-03-04 22:46:55

At 3/3/13 01:55 PM, TheMaster wrote: I've been rewatching season 5 of TNG.

One of the most consistently brilliant seasons of TV ever. Every episode is great.

Definitely. Though I would probably say that The Best of Both World, Part 1, then Part 2, then Family, was the best three episode stretch of TNG. Then again, I haven't watched all the episodes in a while.

Response to Star Trek Crew 2013-03-18 09:56:19

At 3/3/13 01:55 PM, TheMaster wrote: I've been rewatching season 5 of TNG.

I got back to watching some Star Trek again over the last few days. Been a while since I last watched any. I'm on season 5 of TNG now. Just got done with both parts of Unification. I was nice to see an episode featuring Spock in TNG.

I also got done with the TOS films as well. I rather enjoyed The Undiscovered Country. I'll probably get started on the TNG movies once I've finished with the TV series. I'm quite keen to get started on DS9 too, but it'll probably take me a while before I'm done with TNG.

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2013-03-18 14:52:09

At 3/18/13 09:56 AM, Dean wrote: I also got done with the TOS films as well. I rather enjoyed The Undiscovered Country. I'll probably get started on the TNG movies once I've finished with the TV series. I'm quite keen to get started on DS9 too, but it'll probably take me a while before I'm done with TNG.

Reportedly, Gene wasn't too happy with ST6:TUC because of a) blatant racism (in this case Speciesism towards the Klingons), and b) top Starfleet officials in a conspiracy to murder. These were the sort of things that in his vision of the 23rd century that mankind would have evolved beyond.

Response to Star Trek Crew 2013-03-18 15:13:41

At 3/18/13 02:52 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: Reportedly, Gene wasn't too happy with ST6:TUC because of a) blatant racism (in this case Speciesism towards the Klingons), and b) top Starfleet officials in a conspiracy to murder. These were the sort of things that in his vision of the 23rd century that mankind would have evolved beyond.

I think this is one of the biggest controversies among Star Trek fans. How important is it for Trek to stay true of Roddenberry's vision? Section 31 and the Dominion War made for great TV, but they would never have been featured had Roddenberry still been at the helm.

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2013-03-21 16:11:04

Season 5 has been great so far, until I hit Cause And Effect. Wasn't such a fan of that episode. I mean the concept was kinda cool but having to watch a very similar series of events unfold 4 times got a bit much for me. Although maybe it achieved the desired effect because I kinda felt like I was stuck in a time loop and just wanted it to be over.

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2013-03-25 11:01:27

Got a copy of Star Trek (2009) off of eBay for £3. I've already seen it a few times and I actually went to see it at the cinema when it was released, despite me not being into Star Trek at all back then. Anyway, since Into Darkness isn't all that far away, I thought I better give the 2009 film another watch.

Into Darkness is the first film I've actually been excited to see in a while. Excited is maybe too strong a word but I'm pretty certain I'll actually make the effort to go and see this at the cinema when it's released. I never go to the cinema any more.

That also means I now have all the Star Trek movies on DVD. Still keen to get a hold of the complete Voyager and Enterprise box sets eventually but I'm not sure when that'll happen.

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2013-04-03 00:24:59

At 3/25/13 11:01 AM, Dean wrote: Got a copy of Star Trek (2009) off of eBay for Ã'£3. I've already seen it a few times and I actually went to see it at the cinema when it was released, despite me not being into Star Trek at all back then. Anyway, since Into Darkness isn't all that far away, I thought I better give the 2009 film another watch.

Good plan. I thought it was great, though many hardcore fans hated the "modernization" aspect of it.

Into Darkness is the first film I've actually been excited to see in a while. Excited is maybe too strong a word but I'm pretty certain I'll actually make the effort to go and see this at the cinema when it's released. I never go to the cinema any more.

I can't wait, either. I'm hoping Benedict Cumberbatch is Gary Mitchell, and that other name they gave him is just a cover-up.

That also means I now have all the Star Trek movies on DVD. Still keen to get a hold of the complete Voyager and Enterprise box sets eventually but I'm not sure when that'll happen.

They're the two weakest series' overall, but both have very good episodes. Enterprise really picks up in quality with season 3-4.

Response to Star Trek Crew 2013-04-03 07:33:04

At 4/3/13 12:24 AM, Frenzy wrote: Good plan. I thought it was great, though many hardcore fans hated the "modernization" aspect of it.

I can see what they mean I suppose but I don't think the modernisation had a bad effect at all. It was definitely one of the better Star Trek films I've seen.

They're the two weakest series' overall, but both have very good episodes. Enterprise really picks up in quality with season 3-4.

So I've been told, but I think for the sake of completeness I'd still like to see them eventually. I suppose there's still the animated series too, but I'm not too fussed about that. Currently I'm making slow progress through season 6 of TNG. I'd be getting through it a lot faster if I wasn't back to playing video games. I'm actually looking forward to being done with TNG because I really want to see what DS9 is like but I wont be starting on it until I get TNG out of the way.

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2013-05-06 22:39:58

The new Star Trek movie comes out soon... excited?

Response to Star Trek Crew 2013-05-10 15:29:02

Saw Into Darkness today.

Such a disappointment. There's some great ideas in there, but they try to cram too much in. Nothing get developed in any depth and instead it just keeps cutting away to action scenes that always seem to just out stay their welcome. It's really quite frustrating. If the film had been more focussed it could have been incredible. Performances are great all around, so much so I'd kill for a TV series with these guys playing these characters just to give them more room to breathe.

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2013-05-13 21:00:51

At 5/10/13 03:29 PM, TheMaster wrote: Saw Into Darkness today.

Such a disappointment.

I've still not been to see it yet, but I'm considering it. Alternatively, I'll just wait for it to be released on DVD. I forgot how expensive the cinema has gotten these days. Wouldn't be surprised if I could get the DVD with that money when its released.

Anyway, I just for to the end of TNG. Still have the TNG films to watch but it's sad in a sense, knowing that I'll be saying goodbye to Picard and crew. Quite excited to move on to DS9 though.

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2013-05-13 22:17:35

At 5/10/13 03:29 PM, TheMaster wrote: Saw Into Darkness today.

Such a disappointment. There's some great ideas in there, but they try to cram too much in. Nothing get developed in any depth and instead it just keeps cutting away to action scenes that always seem to just out stay their welcome. It's really quite frustrating. If the film had been more focussed it could have been incredible.

Nooo, don't say that! I'm really hoping this will be great. I shall keep my hopes up.

At 5/13/13 09:00 PM, Dean wrote: Anyway, I just for to the end of TNG. Still have the TNG films to watch but it's sad in a sense, knowing that I'll be saying goodbye to Picard and crew. Quite excited to move on to DS9 though.

DS9 is probably the best overall "series" in all of Star Trek-great continuity between episodes, overarching themes, etc. You'll enjoy it, I think!

Response to Star Trek Crew 2013-05-14 09:14:31

At 5/13/13 10:17 PM, Frenzy wrote: Nooo, don't say that! I'm really hoping this will be great. I shall keep my hopes up.

There's definitely enough to enjoy in there. Some really spectacular action sequences and as I said the characters are all great, but it's incredibly frustrating because the final product is less than the sum of it's parts. It could have been incredible, as it is it's just sort of okay.

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2013-05-16 18:26:34

I think First Contact is probably up there as one of my favourite Star Trek films. Just got done watching it and it was pretty good. That just leaves me with Insurrection and Nemesis but seeing as I've already seen Insurrection a couple times in the past, I think I'll skip it for now. I'll get Nemesis watched tonight and then hopefully get started on DS9 tomorrow.

Hopefully by the time I'm nearing the end of DS9 I'll be employed and able to get the complete Voyager set bought.

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2013-05-16 18:38:54

I really don't like Picard in First Contact. The whole crazy Borg rage thing sort of comes out of nowhere given with how he'd dealt with them in the post-Best of Both Worlds episodes, and it just feels out of character for Picard in general. The rest of the film is great, but that really drags it down for me.

Picard doesn't work as an action hero.

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2013-05-16 20:30:26

See, things like that don't particularly bother me. I did think it was a little out of place for him to suddenly have such a fit of rage, but it was nowhere near enough to ruin things for me. I've always been forgiving when it comes to that sort of stuff, although forgiving seems like a poor choice of word. It just doesn't bother me. It don't like nit picking at something I enjoy. I suppose some people care a lot more about that sort of stuff than I do though.

Just got done with Nemesis. I preferred First Contact but Nemesis was still pretty good. The ending actually left me feeling a little sad I guess. It wasn't how I imagined the TNG journey to end. Tempted to watch the first episode of DS9 before I go to bed...

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2013-05-17 05:05:23

At 5/16/13 08:30 PM, Dean wrote: It wasn't how I imagined the TNG journey to end.

I like to pretend it still ended with that poker game in All Good Things. Nemesis is just depressing.

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2013-05-17 13:15:25

Just got done with the first episode of Deep Space 9. Didn't watch it last night because I realised it was a double episode or whatever and I didn't think I'd last another hour and a half without falling asleep. It's still too early for me to have any real opinion on DS9 but I did enjoy the first episode. I already get the impression that the main characters are going to be a lot more diverse than those of TOS and TNG.

Also, in my box set of the Star Trek movies, there are two bonus DVDs. They contain "The Captains' Summit" and "Evolutions". I think they're sort of interview/documentary type things. Any of you guys seen them? Worth watching? I'm sure I'll watch them eventually anyway, but if someone tells me they're good, it's more likely I'll watch them sooner.

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2013-05-17 16:49:18

At 5/17/13 01:15 PM, Dean wrote: Just got done with the first episode of Deep Space 9. Didn't watch it last night because I realised it was a double episode or whatever and I didn't think I'd last another hour and a half without falling asleep. It's still too early for me to have any real opinion on DS9 but I did enjoy the first episode. I already get the impression that the main characters are going to be a lot more diverse than those of TOS and TNG.

I don't know about diverse, but definitely more developed. They grow and change as the series progresses, rather than remaining static like those in every other Trek series. Kira is a bit odd in the first episodes, too. You can still clearly see that she was written as Ro Laren and the writers hadn't fully reworked the character after Michelle Forbes turned the role down.

Keep in mind DS9 doesn't get REALLY good until season 3. I still really like the first two seasons as well, though. "Duet" is an early highpoint.

BBS Signature

Response to Star Trek Crew 2013-05-19 18:02:40

Into Darkness was good, but it felt off sometimes. 2009 Trek was a really great movie, it and felt more believable (assuming you can accept any sort of sci-fi).

I won't spoil anything, but that entire movie felt like a fan fiction. A good fan fiction, but it felt way to pleasing to my inner fan to feel like a real movie. On the plus side, we had much more Scotty in this film, which is always good.

I regret seeing the Great Gatsby in 3D and not this. Switching those two around makes more sense.