00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

etheriusnachoo just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Windows Spoof Redesign Archives

28,278 Views | 297 Replies

Windows Spoof Redesign Archives 2008-12-19 15:47:58

First of all, how many of you have played my Windows Spoof? (link below)

If you haven't, you should definitely check it out. But that's not why I'm making this thread; As some of you know, I'm in the process of refining the code, adding new programs, and making it look and act more like Vista. So, I've been making posts on my userpage about this. I've posted .FLAs and .SWFs, and people have been asking me how exactly I'm doing what I'm doing. So, I'll update this thread every once and a while, with updates, files, and tutorials, which I hope you use to make your Windows Spoofs the best (or worst) they can be.

I'll start off with the new look, also seen here.

No file will be provided, because it's not just code--it's design, which I really would hate to have stolen.

But remember how awful the old one looked? (well, at least to me it looked pretty bad) Well now you can play my spoof with the authentic Vista Look. See how much better it looks?

Next, I'll post an example of Multiple Programs and Fading Windows

Response to Windows Spoof Redesign Archives 2008-12-19 16:12:41

Alright, second update.

*Note: These files are given for instructional purposes; don't ruin it for everyone else by claiming it as your own! I'll stop providing them if you do.

**Note: These files are in the Black-and-Green Terminal Style because I don't want anyone ripping my hard work from the .fla files. They are just examples; I have everything in the given files done with the Vista style, I just took the code and applied it to a generic MC.

FILE: .FLA | .SWF

As you can see, you can have multiple windows open, and if you click the X button, they shrink and fade out, like Vista. Trust me, it looks really cool with the styles applied.

Tutorial
If you'd like to make a realistic Vista spoof, you're going to need some windows that fade in and out, as well as the feature to have multiple programs of the same type open. Here's how:

First, create your window, as well as an X button. The X button should be a MovieClip, rather than a button. It has three frames, one for the "UP, OVER, and DOWN" frames that would normally be in a button. The first frame has the code "stop();" in the actions panel, and the rest are empty. They should be set up like this:

_root
^ ^
window_mc
^ ^
XBUTTON_btn

First-time explaination of chart: First is the _root layer, the main layer in Flash. The movieclip on the stage, "window_mc" is centered on the stage. Inside of "window_mc" is a movieclip with the name "XBUTTON_btn".

Now, go to your library and right-click on "window_mc". Choose "Linkage..." and then check "Export For Actionscript". In the "Identifier" field, enter "window_mc" if it isn't already there.

Now that that's done, create a desktop icon and place it in the top-left corner of your stage. Make sure it's a button.

Give it this code (explained later):

on(release){
	if(_root.numWindows <= 0){
	_root.attachMovie("window_mc", "window"+_root.numWindows, _root.numWindows);
	_root["window"+_root.numWindows]._x=550/2+(_root.numWindows*3)
	_root["window"+_root.numWindows]._y=400/2+(_root.numWindows*3)
	_root.numWindows++;
	}else if(_root.numWindows>0){
		_root.window0.duplicateMovieClip("window"+_root.numWindows, _root.numWindows);
		_root["window"+_root.numWindows]._x=550/2+(_root.numWindows*4)
	_root["window"+_root.numWindows]._y=400/2+(_root.numWindows*4)
	_root.numWindows++;
	}else{
		trace("there's a problem...");
	}
}

Basically what this does, is when you click the button, it calls on the "window_mc" from the library. It creates an instance on the stage with its own unique instance name, and if there is more than one, it bevels its location. Now, test the movie. Your window should appear, and you can also create more than one!

But there's one problem--you can't close it. Don't worry, we'll fix that soon enough...

Now, go into your "window_mc" clip, and click on your x button (it should be a MovieClip, NOT a button).

Give it this code:

onClipEvent(load){
	this._parent._alpha = 100;
	this._parent._xscale = 100;
	this._parent._yscale = 100;
	alphaMin = 0;
	XSCALE = 0;
	YSCALE = 0;
}
onClipEvent(enterFrame){
	//Specs for Removal
	if(this._parent._alpha<0){
		_root.numWindows--;
		this._parent.removeMovieClip();
	}
	//Exit Stats
	this._parent._alpha-= alphaMin;
	this._parent._xscale-= XSCALE;
	this._parent._yscale-= YSCALE;
	//Buttons
	this.onRollOver = function(){
		this.gotoAndStop(2);
	}
	this.rollOut = function(){
		this.gotoAndStop(1);
	}
	this.onRelease = function(){
		this.gotoAndStop(1);
		//Fade/resize
		alphaMin = 35
		XSCALE = YSCALE = 5
		//Rest
	}
}

It may not be the most efficient code, but it works. I'll refine it (again) later.

All this does is set three variables--alphaMin, XSCALE, and YSCALE--and applies them to the "window_mc" clip every time the movie enters a frame. It also sets the button so it acts like a button, because for some reason I couldn't get a real button to work.

Now, when you test your movie, it should be almost identical to the .FLA file I posted. If you have any problems, please PM me.

Response to Windows Spoof Redesign Archives 2008-12-19 16:38:21

Haha, that's one of the nicer Windows mock ups that I have viewed. Nicely done.

BBS Signature

Response to Windows Spoof Redesign Archives 2008-12-19 17:42:22

At 12/19/08 04:38 PM, blah569 wrote: Haha, that's one of the nicer Windows mock ups that I have viewed. Nicely done.

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it.

Response to Windows Spoof Redesign Archives 2008-12-23 11:41:38

Third Update.

Files: .SWF

No tutorial here, all I did was copy and paste images people sent me into Flash and wallah! Thanks for the images, guys! So this is what the windows will look like in the redesign. Cool, huh?

Image credits:

Harry-Slaughter
Groundpwndr
ZiggyZack99

Response to Windows Spoof Redesign Archives 2008-12-23 12:52:47

Great game, can't wait to see more.

Response to Windows Spoof Redesign Archives 2008-12-23 13:44:47

At 12/23/08 11:41 AM, Archon68 wrote: Third Update.

No tutorial here, all I did was copy and paste images people sent me into Flash and wallah! Thanks for the images, guys! So this is what the windows will look like in the redesign. Cool, huh?

Hey if you need some Images for your next update, I can help. Let me know, I can supply .png images cut and ready for you.

Response to Windows Spoof Redesign Archives 2008-12-24 14:02:24

Fourth Update.

New Start Menu, not finished yet. Also, icon and window drafts. LIke them? Just used photos that users provided... Thanks guys. Fading windows tutorial is in the first update, anything else to explain?

Response to Windows Spoof Redesign Archives 2008-12-24 14:03:25

Oh, and the real thing isn't that big... for some reason, SpamTheWeb made it huge so it looks all pixelly.... Hmm...

Response to Windows Spoof Redesign Archives 2009-01-01 09:44:10

I got CS4 for Christmas so now I can PHOTOSHOP stuff to make it look more AWESOME

Response to Windows Spoof Redesign Archives 2009-01-01 10:07:55

Looks good :D

Fate. Strength. Intelligence.

Response to Windows Spoof Redesign Archives 2009-01-01 10:08:20

This is really quite lame.

Sup, bitches :)

BBS Signature

Response to Windows Spoof Redesign Archives 2009-01-02 09:54:02

Part Whatever

New, awesome looking windows!

File: .SWF

Take a look at the file, and play around a bit. It takes a bit to load, though. The start menu and Webcam Ninja aren't complete yet, but it's just for looks at this point. I'll work on the program as soon as I'm done writing this post. If you don't want to look at the example, then just look at the screenshot. LOOK AT IT! It's so awesome-looking...

Response to Windows Spoof Redesign Archives 2009-01-02 10:01:02

This thing must be larger than 8 MB with all this bullshit you got on it

Response to Windows Spoof Redesign Archives 2009-01-02 10:02:51

At 1/2/09 10:01 AM, tonaltmadness1 wrote: This thing must be larger than 8 MB with all this bullshit you got on it

3 MB, actually.

Response to Windows Spoof Redesign Archives 2009-01-03 07:41:23

At 1/2/09 10:10 PM, Lacos wrote: Hello there grasshopper

OH SHI--

NOT YOU AGAIN, PLEASE!

Response to Windows Spoof Redesign Archives 2009-01-03 08:34:00

Hehe... A funny thing just happened to me...

I was working on the spoof, and I pressed CTRL + ENTER to test the movie... I went into another window and when I came back, I wanted to close the test window. So I hit the little X button Inside of the movie.It looked so real I thought it was the exit button.

Response to Windows Spoof Redesign Archives 2009-01-29 13:26:03

New Update! Wahoo!

I'm back on track. Right now I'm working on the NG Site inside of the browser. It's coming along quite nicely.

Response to Windows Spoof Redesign Archives 2009-01-29 13:34:31

Its so close, it looks like you are just print screening vista :P

Thats very good Archon, nice job!

Response to Windows Spoof Redesign Archives 2009-01-29 13:42:01

At 1/29/09 01:34 PM, BillysProgrammer wrote: Its so close, it looks like you are just print screening vista :P

Thats very good Archon, nice job!

:-D

Thanks! That's what I like to hear!

Response to Windows Spoof Redesign Archives 2009-01-31 12:08:40

New Update - NG RADIO!

Now, in my windows spoof you can load any song from the portal by entering its ID. I'm still working on the fine details (like volume control, looping, auto track changing, etc.) but I have the basics all ready! Click here for a demo!

You can click the randomize button to play a random song.

Thank you!

Response to Windows Spoof Redesign Archives 2009-01-31 12:12:46

At 1/31/09 12:08 PM, Archon68 wrote: New Update - NG RADIO!

Now, in my windows spoof you can load any song from the portal by entering its ID. I'm still working on the fine details (like volume control, looping, auto track changing, etc.) but I have the basics all ready! Click here for a demo!

You can click the randomize button to play a random song.

Thank you!

AWSUM MAN!

You made the windows look liek Windows Live messenger windows, awesoem.

keep up the good work! this is front page material!

Destroyed.

Response to Windows Spoof Redesign Archives 2009-01-31 12:12:54

Are you loading them from the audio portal or something (dbs idk) or do you have some built in, and running a array to play them?

Btw, its gonna be TIGHT!

Response to Windows Spoof Redesign Archives 2009-01-31 12:20:31

At 1/31/09 12:12 PM, BillysProgrammer wrote: Are you loading them from the audio portal or something (dbs idk) or do you have some built in, and running a array to play them?

Btw, its gonna be TIGHT!

Yep, they are from the audio portal. And it's a secret how I load them. Lemme just tell you it only adds about 1kb to the file size.

And no, if you were wondering, I don't have a copy of each song inside of the library, that'd be plain silly.

Response to Windows Spoof Redesign Archives 2009-01-31 12:22:04

That looks great. I can't wait to see the whole thing! It looks better than Windows Mista.

BBS Signature

Response to Windows Spoof Redesign Archives 2009-01-31 12:25:38

Are you using localhost sharing? or something?

shareLocalHost idk I cant remember

Response to Windows Spoof Redesign Archives 2009-01-31 12:26:51

At 1/31/09 12:22 PM, 14hourlunchbreak wrote: That looks great. I can't wait to see the whole thing! It looks better than Windows Mista.

Thanks! That make me feel good, seeing as Mista was my inspiration. It's actually what made me want to use flash in the first place! If it weren't for matty-2-and-a-half and that awesome spoof, I would have never started with flash.

Response to Windows Spoof Redesign Archives 2009-01-31 12:30:25

No, I'm simply loading from the audio portal.

Here's some basic code since you seem so interested. Put this on the first frame of your movie.

//AS2.0
audioFile =  new Number(Math.ceil(Math.random()*200000));
mySound = new Sound(this);
mySound.loadSound("http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/download/"+audioFile,true);
mySound.play();

I just worked around with that to create the simple "radio".

Response to Windows Spoof Redesign Archives 2009-01-31 12:43:31

Oh, thats interesting. I didnt know you could do that.

Very good!

Response to Windows Spoof Redesign Archives 2009-02-01 09:07:24

Radio Update!!!

I've got a new version of the radio for you. Now, you can download the songs, and they loop. There are also volume buttons.

Read the instructions in the .swf file.

Link.