00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ThanksDennis just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Popularity out, stickers in.

19,388 Views | 185 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Popularity out, stickers in. 2003-09-17 12:51:44

For those who enjoy the perks of having a FREE NG user account and a public profile, you will notice the popularity stat has been replaced with a sticker stat. The reason for this is the popularity stat was using a lot of our database server's resources. Also many users tried to cheat the system and inflate their popularity by clicking on their profile over and over (which didn't do anything to help their popularity, but put unnecessary strain on our server) or they tried to trick, or persuade, users into clicking their profile. So we decided it would be best to remove it. However, at the same time we decided to put in a NG Sticker Stat. This shows how many stickers NG users have ordered, as long as they provided their NG username at the time of order, or provide it in future orders. For those users who have already ordered stickers and would like their order credited to their account simply email me your name, zip code, quantity of stickers ordered, and your NG username. You need to have a NG account with a public profile in order to have your sticker total visible to other NG users.

In other news we are going to be ordering a whole mess of additional servers and increasing our bandwidth capabilities!

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Popularity out, stickers in. 2003-09-17 12:56:14

At 9/17/03 12:51 PM, WadeFulp wrote: For those who enjoy the perks of having a NG user account and a public profile, you will notice the popularity stat has been replaced with a sticker stat.

Stickers? You mean you have to pay for this? I'm confused and need more info.

I hope this makes first reply!

Response to Popularity out, stickers in. 2003-09-17 12:56:25

Seems a good idea! will stop those attention whores!

(on a side note to Wade, I will have a new movie that will be worthy of a place on the DBZ selction coming soon ;))

Xbox Live Gamertag: SuperScot

DBZ Crew #10 (stand-in leader)

BBS Signature

Response to Popularity out, stickers in. 2003-09-17 12:57:18

Great idea! NG has been slow loading for me as of late (I have a P4 and a cable connection)

You guys are just so damn sexy sometimes it blinds me.

^__^

Response to Popularity out, stickers in. 2003-09-17 12:57:51

At 9/17/03 12:56 PM, AdamM wrote: Stickers? You mean you have to pay for this? I'm confused and need more info.

Click the sticker link.

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Popularity out, stickers in. 2003-09-17 13:01:03

YES!! no more n00bs spamming!

Response to Popularity out, stickers in. 2003-09-17 13:04:39

At 9/17/03 12:51 PM, WadeFulp wrote: For those who enjoy the perks of having a FREE NG user account and a public profile, you will notice the popularity stat has been replaced with a sticker stat.

From the sticker page:
To cover the cost of printing stickers we are charging $1.00 US for every 5 stickers ordered plus you MUST include a self addressed return evelope WITH POSTAGE

Don't know if you can get US stamps here in the UK, but I'd be able to get the $'s fine - is it possible to simply send the cash equivalent in that case?

Response to Popularity out, stickers in. 2003-09-17 13:05:17

At 9/17/03 12:51 PM, WadeFulp wrote: In other news we are going to be ordering a whole mess of additional servers and increasing our bandwidth capabilities!

good it was going way to slow for me last night and i don't remember when it was going that slow for me

and good thing there isn't the hole popularity any more it sucked any way

Response to Popularity out, stickers in. 2003-09-17 13:09:21

It's too bad people had to abuse the system, I really enjoyed tracking my popularity. (I made it to 500 once I think) But if this will make newgrounds run faster I'm all for it. But why a sticker counter? I don't think anyone cares if Billy-bob-noob has ordered a thousand stickers.

Response to Popularity out, stickers in. 2003-09-17 13:12:38

yea. i already noticed that and talked with you about that so the reason is ok...

Response to Popularity out, stickers in. 2003-09-17 13:18:38

Dude, you suck! I ordered stickers a few months ago and I never received them. I E-mailed you and I never got an answer.

Response to Popularity out, stickers in. 2003-09-17 13:20:28

At 9/17/03 01:09 PM, Deus_ex_Machina wrote: I don't think anyone cares if Billy-bob-noob has ordered a thousand stickers.

really?? why would you ever need so many??

Response to Popularity out, stickers in. 2003-09-17 13:28:53

At 9/17/03 12:51 PM, WadeFulp wrote: For those who enjoy the perks of having a FREE NG user account and a public profile, you will notice the popularity stat has been replaced with a sticker stat. The reason for this is the popularity stat was using a lot of our database server's resources. Also many users tried to cheat the system and inflate their popularity by clicking on their profile over and over (which didn't do anything to help their popularity, but put unnecessary strain on our server) or they tried to trick, or persuade, users into clicking their profile. So we decided it would be best to remove it.

That's all great. More power to ya. No one has the right to complain about popularity being taken away, and no one should care that much anyway.

But you can't really hold it over our heads that we're all enjoying the perks of a free account, because a lot of us are willing to pay for a platinum or whatever account, to help NG out, but they aren't available right now. IOW, it's not our fault we can't pay for accounts yet.

However, at the same time we decided to put in a NG Sticker Stat. This shows how many stickers NG users have ordered, as long as they provided their NG username at the time of order, or provide it in future orders. For those users who have already ordered stickers and would like their order credited to their account simply email me your name, zip code, quantity of stickers ordered, and your NG username. You need to have a NG account with a public profile in order to have your sticker total visible to other NG users.

As I said in the other topic, though... the way it was inserted into the profile exactly where popularity rank used to be is ugly and unattractive. Please hold a poll asking where people think it would look best, or whether it should be in profiles at all or SOMEthing. I think it would look SO much better underneath BBS posts, but really anywhere but amongst the rankings and voting power (where it is now) and blams and protects, all of which have SOMEthing to do with each other (now that popularity ranking is gone, especially).

The link being in ( )s next to the stickers count is especially unattractive and glaring where it is. Either the STICKERS: itself should be the link, or there shouldn't be a link at all. Hell, people in this thread don't even know to click on it, from the sounds of their comments, so it's not that useful. I'd rather have a link to the sticker page at the top of every NG page (up near sign-in or join ng, or in the popular features pulldown menu, or next to the search NG box, or WHEREVER, really.

At 9/17/03 01:09 PM, Deus_ex_Machina wrote: It's too bad people had to abuse the system, I really enjoyed tracking my popularity. (I made it to 500 once I think) But if this will make newgrounds run faster I'm all for it. But why a sticker counter? I don't think anyone cares if Billy-bob-noob has ordered a thousand stickers.

Well, I think that having a counter isn't a horrible idea, I just don't like where that counter is on our profiles. Oh yes... people will start to care. Especially now that popularity is gone. Those that aren't happy just keeping track of experience and blams/protects will want a new stat, and stickers, it seems, is going to be that stat.

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // defunct PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Cyberdevil's HexaList!

a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature

Response to Popularity out, stickers in. 2003-09-17 13:42:39

At 9/17/03 01:04 PM, jonthomson wrote:

the sticker page:

To cover the cost of printing stickers we are charging $1.00 US for every 5 stickers ordered plus you MUST include a self addressed return evelope WITH POSTAGE

Don't know if you can get US stamps here in the UK, but I'd be able to get the $'s fine - is it possible to simply send the cash equivalent in that case?

Don't bother to read the whole page or anything:

For international orders you may enclose the postage as US CASH rounded up to the closest whole dollar (we'll make up the difference with extra stickers). While we have added postage rates for Canada and the rest of the world via Airmail Letter Post, you may want to double check with your post office on current rates. We have also listed the weights to further assist in figuring out shipping rates.

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Popularity out, stickers in. 2003-09-17 13:46:39

Wow, lotsa people have em already, doing well.

aww, popularity went, I was doing great on that :D
220th in popularity :D.

Oh well, ( not aware of that cheat ).
I might get some stickers myself :)

on a side note, did anyone else hate getting from level 9 to 10, it's annoying me, only 270 left :)

Response to Popularity out, stickers in. 2003-09-17 13:48:21

Wade? Would it also be possible to buy some stickers directly from your home? Because my mum plans an vacation trip to the USA. :) Nah, more kidding than serious, oh well, how much time would it take it? How much time for sending it to you, and how much time for sending the stickers back tom me(Austria) ?

Response to Popularity out, stickers in. 2003-09-17 13:56:19

9 to 10? 10 to 11 is worse and it keeps getting worse as you go up duh..

anyway, for what is this counter good for?
i mean, its rather useless, even for fun messures..

Response to Popularity out, stickers in. 2003-09-17 14:39:09

Stickers??? Newgrounds, you big commercial whore.

Response to Popularity out, stickers in. 2003-09-17 14:43:56

But what if a user changes his alias? Does the sticker ammount change also?

px hulk.

BBS Signature

Response to Popularity out, stickers in. 2003-09-17 14:44:37

yes this is a great idea a big step though

Like pears in rain.

Response to Popularity out, stickers in. 2003-09-17 14:48:33

At 9/17/03 12:51 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Stickers in public profile

hmmmm, interesting but weird idea, i mean
wow that guy sure has bought alot of stickers! he is my new hero!

hehehe

Response to Popularity out, stickers in. 2003-09-17 14:52:08

my popularity was 666 :( give it back

Response to Popularity out, stickers in. 2003-09-17 14:57:48

I see this as a clever scheme for the Fulps to make more money.

I refuse to purchase any NG stickers.

Response to Popularity out, stickers in. 2003-09-17 14:58:13

At 9/17/03 02:48 PM, DWARFINATORclock wrote:
At 9/17/03 12:51 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Stickers in public profile
hmmmm, interesting but weird idea, i mean
wow that guy sure has bought alot of stickers! he is my new hero!

hehehe

i know what you mean if you want more people to buy the stickers why don't you put that link in the gold menu?

Response to Popularity out, stickers in. 2003-09-17 15:03:13

At 9/17/03 02:52 PM, GreyClock wrote: my popularity was 666 :( give it back

If you think that was good, I was in the top 100 just these last few days :(

But the popularity stat was being abused a lot and should be taken down. Although I don't think that many people would care who has how many stickers, especially since you have to pay to get them. It's just Newground's attempt to make more money for the site so people actually know how much someone spent on NG by looking at their profile.

Response to Popularity out, stickers in. 2003-09-17 15:03:17

Who gives a F*** I was 4 hundred and something. BTW, i live in belgium, so i hve to pay the international price? Dough, if only we could get em free somehow! ( i know you're doing this for a bit of money cos all ng costs ng, i understand even though i'm 13 )
And is there a special place to buy them later cos i might want some later, would it be on the front page

Response to Popularity out, stickers in. 2003-09-17 15:07:14

At 9/17/03 03:03 PM, NG-Lethal wrote: And is there a special place to buy them later cos i might want some later, would it be on the front page

Just go in your profile and click on "click to order" next to your sticker count.

Response to Popularity out, stickers in. 2003-09-17 15:07:20

Well, i'm happy that i actually made it to TWO in popularity before we got rid of it!

Now, i'll order a bunch of stickers, maybe 2 dollars worth ;-)

Response to Popularity out, stickers in. 2003-09-17 15:09:52

At 9/17/03 01:48 PM, -Marc- wrote: Wade? Would it also be possible to buy some stickers directly from your home? Because my mum plans an vacation trip to the USA. :) Nah, more kidding than serious, oh well, how much time would it take it? How much time for sending it to you, and how much time for sending the stickers back tom me(Austria) ?

What part of the US will you (or your mum) be coming to?

To send them back and forth internationally, probably 2-3 weeks.

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Popularity out, stickers in. 2003-09-17 15:11:16

Well, Im shocked. I dont know really what to say. This wasnt the best descion you guys amde but whatever, now I dont have to worry how popular I am. And I only looked at my profile once in a while to see badge and whistle changes. *sigh* Well....forget it.......