Newgrounds accepts movies in SWF and most common video formats (MP4, MOV, WMV). Looking to learn how to animate? The Animator's Survival Kit
is a very popular book among animators. We also host various animation tutorials
made by artists here on NG.
2D Animation Software
Adobe Animate (formerly Flash)
- Part of Adobe Creative Cloud Subscription - Flash has long been the standard application for creating web-based animation, along with games and other applications. The animation tools are easy to learn and are extremely powerful.
Adobe has made an old version of Flash available for free.
This version has everything most animators have ever needed to make stuff. Download Flash MX 2004
and register with serial code: FLD700-59705-99286-82099
will allow you to convert your Flash animation into video files. Recommended for better streaming and mobile / TV support.
Toon Boom Harmony
- Free Trial - Used for a lot of television animation. Has SWF export options but you will likely just export as a video file and showcase on NG with our MP4 upload feature.
- Free, Open-source - Used by Studio Ghibli and Futurama, this software is now freely available!
- Pricing varies - More of a learning curve than Flash but a favorite among those who use it. TVPaint is what was used to create The Reward
- A free, web-based, open source tool for making animation and games. Wick is heavily inspired by Flash, so anyone with a Flash background will like it. Animation can be exported as MP4 or animated gif.
- Free - Krita is a FREE sketching and painting program. Has recently been adding animation features. Krita was used by GoreGG to make #100DaysOfWalkCycles
and he recommends it.
- Free and open source 2D animation software.
- Free and open source!
Moho (formerly Anime Studio)
- Powerful 2D rigging system of the market and mix it with traditional animation tools. Used in Song of the Sea.
- Lip syncing software for Moho (Anime Studio).
Also see our Animation Tutorials!
3D Animation Software
- FREE - Used in The Secret of Kells.
- Free Trial - Used in Ice Age and James Cameron's Avatar.
3D Studio Max
- Free Trial - Used in I-Robot and X-Men.
- Free Trial - Used in Street Fighter IV.
- Used in District 9.
- Allows you to create and/or animate 3D objects and export for Flash. We recommend creating your initial models with alternative software.
- FREE - a tool for converting video from nearly any format to a selection of modern, widely supported codecs.