For the month of February we have disabled ads on all E-M content. We need 213 people to reach our goal of 3,100 active supporters. If we hit that, we'll continue with a new goal in March!

Reviews for "King Samulis"

I die laughing at the description. Anyway, I am not a good commentator so I'll give out whatever comes to my mind... Well you don't have to read my silly comment if you find it too harsh or doesn't make sense.

Strengths - Choir arrangement always has the upper hands in your musical 'weaponry'. Same goes for brass. I really like the narration of this track. Lord Samulis will not be pleased...

Weakness - Length of the track. There isn't enough time for each section to flourish throughout the track. I don't know if you really intended to make climax but if you do it doesn't work out really well.

I quite disappoint that this track isn't quite reflecting your full ability to knock out the opponents. Many of your older tracks work way beyond what I heard in here. Why is that?

Just sayin'! Like I said, you don't really have to read my silly words! Good day, sir.

Bosa responds:

I understand you, don't worry. You're right.

"Shaking and Trembling"

Just listening to this... amazing work man! I'm going to have to use some crazy stuff to even make a dent against this. :D

I always have been amazed by your sheer ability to put the idea of Power into an orchestra, it's great for a strong cinematic feel... horns... trumpets... the classic Bosa Chorus of Death and Destruction and Epicness.

Out of all the pieces of yours I have heard, I can honestly say this is my favorite... it has a strong cinematic feel, enough horns to sink a battleship, and a solid flow... though I wish that fanfare lasted longer. XD

Can't wait to finish up my piece. I hope it will at least compare!

Keep compos(ing/ed)!
-Samulis

Bosa responds:

You have what it takes, my man! I am fully aware of your excellent skill, and I can easily be defeated with the right approach.

You are the king, after all!

Epic

Indeed. I thank thee.

Really cool stuff, the first minute reminds me a bit of the fanfare associated with Star Wars. "Imperial City" from the Shadows of the Empire OST in particular came to mind in the beginning measures. The remaining 45 secs sound almost foreign, yet fitting with the first minute. The transition really fits well with the last part of the story. A good cliffhanger-like feel.

I like.

-FTA

Bosa responds:

Thank you, sir. I hope you continue listening to my music.

First off (I'm posting this to everyone): Note that the scores might be a bit lower than what's typical for NG reviews - no one should expect a 10/10 unless their entry was absolutely incredible.

The title and description has changed my perception of this track considerably: rather than being a standard thematic orchestral/soundtrack piece with triumphant horn-filled parts and dramatic battle-scene parts, I'm now almost viewing it as a parody of the style. It certainly does the job well either way. And you and samulis are so cuuuuuuuuuuute together when you do it like this ^__________^

One of the first thing I've noticed is that the mix is a bit harsh, and this seems almost inevitable considering the instrumentation: a loud, blaring brass section dominates throughout, and the percussion is mostly sharp and metallic. Even the choir sings mostly staccato bursts. It fits the description very well, but some polishing to make it sound more pleasant wouldn't hurt. The sounds used are great - the deep brass is rough and detailed, while the smoother string and trumpet parts carry their melodies beautifully. And the huge reverb is gorgeous.

The first 64 seconds are excellent: the transitions from triumph through dissonant drama to silent suspense are all very well done, and show one of the great strengths of orchestral music, which is the use of a huge dynamic range for emotional impact (though as mentioned earlier, emotional impact is weakened quite a bit with a title and description like the one you have provided). I like the really simple bass motif after 16 seconds, three hard Ds and then two softer D#'s: the unnerving semitone step and the straightforward BAM BAM BAM shows the listener that this King Samulis is the real deal and don't fucking play. The horn intro is nice as well, and fits the narrative, and also just about cliché enough to make me smile.

I have a couple of problems with the part after that: first off, the choir is singing random syllables, which is weird and distracts from the other parts (especially since the choir is pretty dominant at that point. The brass section could be kicked up a notch there to create more a more impactful crescendo before 1:18). Also the percussion is wayy dry - it's not a particularly pretty sound, and some reverb would help mask that and perhaps also help make the mix somewhat less harsh as I mentioned earlier. Everything else seems to be playing in a huge hall or arena, so when the metallic percussion sounds like it's being played in front of your face, it's not as easy to get immersed in the track. Apart from those two points, this part is just as great as the one that preceeds it, with strong melodies and great instrumentation.

1:45 is often a bit sparse: you'd usually need around 3 minutes to really flesh out some musical ideas into a song. I find that's not really the case for this song, as I can count 4-5 distinct parts with different musical ideas (that are still connected by the transitions and the shared instrumentation), and you get most of them across before continuing onwards to the next one. I still wouldn't mind if you extended the first 15 seconds and the part after 1:21 to really show some chops when it comes to more complex melody, harmony, composition and so on. Most of the ideas in this song are still pretty simple and straightforward.

9 points for sounds and instrumentation.
8 points for composition and melody/harmony.
6 points for theme/originality/other things that might impress.

Overall impression: 8.5