For the month of April we have disabled ads on all E-M content. We need 27 people to reach our goal of 3,000 active supporters. If we hit that, we'll continue with a new goal in May!

Reviews for "King Samulis"

First off (I'm posting this to everyone): Note that the scores might be a bit lower than what's typical for NG reviews - no one should expect a 10/10 unless their entry was absolutely incredible.

The title and description has changed my perception of this track considerably: rather than being a standard thematic orchestral/soundtrack piece with triumphant horn-filled parts and dramatic battle-scene parts, I'm now almost viewing it as a parody of the style. It certainly does the job well either way. And you and samulis are so cuuuuuuuuuuute together when you do it like this ^__________^

One of the first thing I've noticed is that the mix is a bit harsh, and this seems almost inevitable considering the instrumentation: a loud, blaring brass section dominates throughout, and the percussion is mostly sharp and metallic. Even the choir sings mostly staccato bursts. It fits the description very well, but some polishing to make it sound more pleasant wouldn't hurt. The sounds used are great - the deep brass is rough and detailed, while the smoother string and trumpet parts carry their melodies beautifully. And the huge reverb is gorgeous.

The first 64 seconds are excellent: the transitions from triumph through dissonant drama to silent suspense are all very well done, and show one of the great strengths of orchestral music, which is the use of a huge dynamic range for emotional impact (though as mentioned earlier, emotional impact is weakened quite a bit with a title and description like the one you have provided). I like the really simple bass motif after 16 seconds, three hard Ds and then two softer D#'s: the unnerving semitone step and the straightforward BAM BAM BAM shows the listener that this King Samulis is the real deal and don't fucking play. The horn intro is nice as well, and fits the narrative, and also just about cliché enough to make me smile.

I have a couple of problems with the part after that: first off, the choir is singing random syllables, which is weird and distracts from the other parts (especially since the choir is pretty dominant at that point. The brass section could be kicked up a notch there to create more a more impactful crescendo before 1:18). Also the percussion is wayy dry - it's not a particularly pretty sound, and some reverb would help mask that and perhaps also help make the mix somewhat less harsh as I mentioned earlier. Everything else seems to be playing in a huge hall or arena, so when the metallic percussion sounds like it's being played in front of your face, it's not as easy to get immersed in the track. Apart from those two points, this part is just as great as the one that preceeds it, with strong melodies and great instrumentation.

1:45 is often a bit sparse: you'd usually need around 3 minutes to really flesh out some musical ideas into a song. I find that's not really the case for this song, as I can count 4-5 distinct parts with different musical ideas (that are still connected by the transitions and the shared instrumentation), and you get most of them across before continuing onwards to the next one. I still wouldn't mind if you extended the first 15 seconds and the part after 1:21 to really show some chops when it comes to more complex melody, harmony, composition and so on. Most of the ideas in this song are still pretty simple and straightforward.

9 points for sounds and instrumentation.
8 points for composition and melody/harmony.
6 points for theme/originality/other things that might impress.

Overall impression: 8.5

I will just make this short/brief and straight to the point because I tried to read the other reviews... my brain started to heart

The song is EPIC let's just leave it at that
PS seems alittle to brief if possible a longer version?

Bosa responds:

Perhaps in the future. But don't worry, you're not alone... I don't quite understand them either.

This track makes me fear for my life.

Seriously, you did a great job composing a piece that stimulates imagery and a story in the listeners mind. From start to finish, it bombarded me with imagery in an unrelenting manner. I was also very impressed by the sounds you used, everything sounded very natural and very epic, nothing sounded overly sampled, and the entire thing flowed together perfectly.
I was also greatly impressed with the near perfect mood switch right near the beginning.
The percussion I also found very well done, and really added that "To War!" vibe to the piece.

As for complaints, I did notice a little clipping here and there. The only other really noticeable thing I have to complain about really was at 1:04, it sounded like the choir cut out in the middle of the phrasing every so often, as if there was a randomly placed breathe point in phrase.

Overall, freaking epic, and I very much enjoyed it. 8.5/10.

Bosa responds:

Thank you, my good sir. Yeah, those little clipping points are hard to notice for me (I don't know if I'm deaf or what). I'll really try to not make the same mistakes next time I release a song.

The impact that the song made on you is exactly what I was going for. It took me a long time, but this song has finally found a use for itself here on Newgrounds.

thats good for medieval ^^

Thanks yo!

I love what you can do with your samples. You know how they all sound and feel together and make them sound wonderful together. However, this song sort of had a "demo feel to it", it didn't really develop any definable leitmotif to me, and the 1:00 minute part sounded like a completely different song compared to what the start presented it as. However the section immediately after that reminded me of Respighi's "Pines of Rome" in his ever rising use of horns. Great job as usual! :)