The game concept and puzzle mechanic is great, but there are problems, specifically with the challenge.
- In many of the levels, including some of the last ones, the difficulty is way too easy (I was able to just walk straight to the door on some levels). now, if you were required to bring the cat with you, then the difficulty would go up, but as it is now, the cat is expendable and I can drain all the life out of it I want to beat the level (unless there is an alternate ending that I am missing).
- The story seems like it would be interesting, but it is not explained. Is the character in a retirement home? (that would explain all the old ladies). Is everyone a ghost and is that why they can absorb my energy? Why can the cat absorb their energy yet I can't take theirs? Am I actually a ghost or do I only become one with my energy taken away? Why do they seem hostile toward the main character? Why is the bus at the end flying? What was with that weird tongue monster? Is this all taking place in the afterlife? All questions I'm still unclear on.
- This one goes back to the unexplained story. The controls and goals themselves are not clearly explained. These can be figured (although everything seemed very odd at first with the door in the wall closing up) though I thought the "petting the cat" mechanic was only for entertainment. I didn't connect it with the fact that the cat would follow me if I only petted it ONCE.
- The game was also short, but this isn't a huge problem (I know this is your first game). I was more so just disappointed that it had too end so soon.
- The tongue elevator was a good idea though the guy wiggling his feet while it is going up just looks weird. It seems like it would be controller if he stood still, but that's just me.
- I'd encourage a menu screen and pause button in your next game for access to instructions and credits among other things. Not really necessary for this game though.
- The controls and environment were great. I loved the perspective for the over world and for the levels (it reminds me of old school 90's games).
- The graphic are pretty good (especially the distortion used for ghosts) and although I already said something along these lines, I really like the concept and gameplay.
- The music was also fitting. It had a nice spooky yet techno feel to it. The sound effects were also good.
I do like the game despite my complaints and I look forward to your next. Good job!