00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

N0vasu just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Computer Construction Crew

187,239 Views | 2,279 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-01-12 20:40:01

At 1/12/10 06:16 PM, ph0ne wrote:
At 1/12/10 07:39 AM, XIII13 wrote: I'm hesitant to trust you after your stint of trolling in the Athiest Army thread, but I'll look past it. I'll look at Ati as well, when I pick up my next graphics card.
Try it yourself if you don't believe me, although I don't know why you would want to use Linux unless you're incredibly poor.

Maybe I am incredibly poor. However, lets not argue this.

Anyway, I got everything together and connected. Ther's only one problem. I don't seem to be getting anything. My case power button seems to be malfunctioning (may have connected it wrong, I'll check again after), and when I click the power button on the motherboard, everything comes on for a bout a second, before going back into standby mode. A second later it turns back on agian, then off again. It repeats over and over agian. My monitor is recieving a signal, but immediatly goes into standby mode, something it didn't do before I hooked it up.

I know this is vague, if you need more info/pictures, tell me.

This looks froody.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-01-12 22:59:53

At 1/12/10 09:02 PM, ph0ne wrote:
At 1/12/10 08:40 PM, XIII13 wrote: Anyway, I got everything together and connected. Ther's only one problem. I don't seem to be getting anything. My case power button seems to be malfunctioning (may have connected it wrong, I'll check again after), and when I click the power button on the motherboard, everything comes on for a bout a second, before going back into standby mode. A second later it turns back on agian, then off again. It repeats over and over agian. My monitor is recieving a signal, but immediatly goes into standby mode, something it didn't do before I hooked it up.

I know this is vague, if you need more info/pictures, tell me.
Check how well your 24-pin power connector is seated. I had that problem with a build I did for a friend. Also, try reseating the header for the power button.

It was fully in. Besides, I know it's getting power, because the standby light is on. Reseating the header?

Just an update. I spent the last hour or so, taking the mother board out, taking everything else out, and making everything was connected properly. I think I fucked up mounting the standoff, so I fixed that, but still have the same problem. Tommorow, I'll try running it with no extras, just mobo, and the CPU to test to see if it's the mobo giving me the problem.

This looks froody.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-01-13 06:12:42

Have you made sure the switch on the back of the PSU is in the right position?

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-01-13 07:43:13

At 1/13/10 06:12 AM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: Have you made sure the switch on the back of the PSU is in the right position?

Yeah. To clarify this, I am getting power to the mobo. I get the orange standby light when the PSU is plugged in and on. It's just when I turn on the mobo, either through the case button, or the motherboard button, All the nessacary LED's come on, fans start up, etc, but then it shuts down a second later, and repeats.

This looks froody.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-01-13 16:10:31

Well, I got it to turn on, and stay on. Only problem is, it boots up and gives me screen that only says Please reboot and choose a boot drive, or enter a boot media into the boot drive and press any key. I tried putting in my Linux CD, and thatt didn't work. How do I get to the BIOS?

This looks froody.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-01-13 18:29:00

Ehh, figured it a while ago by reading the instructions, and hitting buttons at random times. Turns out it was the Delete button. :l Unfortanutly, my moms DVD drive fails, and won't burn the linux disks corectly, so I have to go out and buy (OMG) Windows 7. Thne I can use that, burn the Linux discs, and not have to worry about buying Windows, 6 months down the road.

This looks froody.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-01-13 20:35:57

I've got a 2nd monitor now, simple question, nvidia graphics card (8800GTS), how do I go about making the taskbar stretch across the bottom of both screens? Is it possible? I've downloaded UltraMon in the meantime but I'd prefer a solution that meant that moving mouse to the bottom right meant going to desktop like it does in a single monitor. My primary monitor is on the left, and I can't change that because of the layout of my room.

I'm using Windows 7 Pro.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-01-15 06:06:46

As far as I know Nvidia Control Panel and Windows don't let you get very fancy with multi-monitors, so ultramon would propbably be your best bet.

At the risk of raging and gagging publicly today, I clicked the "About this Mac" button in my school's computer graphics lab. They were bought in early 2008 and were $2000 without software.

2Gb DDR2 667
2.2 C2D
ATI x1600
320Gb Hard drive
1680x1050 LCD

R-R-R-RRRRRRAGGGGEEEEEEE

That much money on a useless piece of shit and they don't even buy tablets for an ART computer lab.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-01-23 18:54:03

Hey members of the CCC, I'm seriously interested in building a PC and figured you guys would be a good place to start asking nooby questions. I've been looking at a HP base model to get me started and thought I might replace the graphics card and maybe add a blu-ray drive as I will be using my TV as the monitor when I'm playing games and watching films, everything else will be done on my smaller TV/Monitor.

Here's my starting point, what do you guys think, I'm looking at around a £350-400 budget so it seems ideal.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/ho/
WF06a/12454-12454-3329740-64546-64546-39 42799.html

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-01-24 08:51:07

At 1/23/10 05:10 PM, GOTHCLAWZ wrote: Hey guys, what can you tell me about my computer with this pic?

you have a 4 core cpu or a 2 core cpu with hyperthreading enabled. you also have 3gb of ram.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-01-24 16:04:50

omnomagon why didnt i think of making this club well i must join
Current specs - Case : dell dimensions 3000, Motherboard: Zotac AM2+, CPU: Athlon x2 6000+ 3Ghz, RAM: 2gbs kingston value DDR2 RAM, GPU: Sapphire 4850 HDD: 1tb seagate barracuda, PSU: 750 corsair tx750
Dont tell me how incredibly unblanced this is because it was a way to allow my crappy dell to play recent games without spending more than a couple 100

Future - Case: Antec 1200 Motherboard: Gigabyte X58 CPU: i7 920 RAM: 6gb Corsair dominators GPU: 5850
Keeping HDD and PSU

What do you think of my future build any experience with any of these parts?

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-01-24 16:21:32

I want to get my dad a new graphics card, since he plays PC games all the time, and it's his only outdated component (he doesn't even have one, he's using onboard graphics), and it's stopping him playing any new games.

How do I go about checking what will be compatible?

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-01-24 17:17:06

At 1/24/10 04:04 PM, conkerman wrote:
Future - Case: Antec 1200 Motherboard: Gigabyte X58 CPU: i7 920 RAM: 6gb Corsair dominators GPU: 5850
Keeping HDD and PSU

I've got the Antec 900 case, and honestly, it's awesome. Other than the fact that it's really, really hard to plug SATA cables in because of where they mounted an optional fan mount. It's also pretty big, and should fit your parts, if you want to save a bit of money.

This looks froody.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-01-24 23:03:47

At 1/24/10 05:17 PM, XIII13 wrote:
At 1/24/10 04:04 PM, conkerman wrote:
Keeping HDD and PSU
I've got the Antec 900 case, and honestly, it's awesome. Other than the fact that it's really, really hard to plug SATA cables in because of where they mounted an optional fan mount. It's also pretty big, and should fit your parts, if you want to save a bit of money.

I wanted full tower in case i decide to do maybe crossfire or liquid cooling or something like that cause the 1200 is huge and has alot of 3.5" drive bays

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-01-24 23:06:36

At 1/24/10 04:21 PM, TheMaster wrote: I want to get my dad a new graphics card, since he plays PC games all the time, and it's his only outdated component (he doesn't even have one, he's using onboard graphics), and it's stopping him playing any new games.

How do I go about checking what will be compatible?

search your dads motherboard on the internet or ask him your self what the name is and then see if it supports PCI E or PCI Express if it does you can pick just about anything the newest form is PCI E x2 or like 2.0 something like that if it has that then anything will perform normally with it... well anything recent i suggest newegg.com for GPU parts you can narrow your search to PCI, PCI E, AGP whatever he has itll tell you what u can buy to fit it

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-01-26 07:34:32

At 1/26/10 01:03 AM, ph0ne wrote:
Pfft, the 900 is just overrated garbage. It ain't got shit on my Lancool K7.

Not my style of case.

This looks froody.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-02-02 17:47:09

Seems as if it has been ages since I last posted here. Just though I'd pop in an mention that I am hoping to get a job during the summer months and build a gaming desktop with some of the cash I hope to earn.

Last time I posted here, I had plans for a build, but decided that a laptop would be more suitable for my time at uni, and I think i made the right decision. It has always been in the back of my mind though that I should have went for the desktop, so now I'm hoping to eventually get the benefits of both.

It's a little early to start designing my build, since I don't know what my budget will be and there will be new hardware released before then, so I wouldn't be able to stick with a list without having to change it now and then. Although I've still got a while before I will get started in this project, I want to get myself a rough idea of what I'd like. I'm planning on spending all the money I have on this project, so it should turn out to be quite interesting for me in the end.

I'll be sure to keep you guys informed once I start this build. I'll no doubt need some help now and again as well, because it will be the first time that I've done this.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-02-16 08:47:14

At 1/24/10 11:03 PM, conkerman wrote: I wanted full tower in case i decide to do maybe crossfire or liquid cooling or something like that cause the 1200 is huge and has alot of 3.5" drive bays

I have the 1200. My buddy has the 900. The difference is night and day. Unless you want to spend the next few years with a case that will be a bitch to work with (due to its size) and that will run out of space quickly as you upgrade more and more, I would suggest getting the 1200. The difference in price is small but the benefits are huge. It can also be a super quiet case if you turn off the fans (I have them all plugged into one socket on the PSU for easy on/off control over all of them). Also it looks insanely better in my opinion.

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-02-16 20:49:10

So anyway my graphics card (8800GTS 320mb) is on the way out (first time I turn on my PC I get "
one long + three short = no VGA detected", then i restart and it turns on fine), so I thought I'd upgrade my graphics card.

I'm looking for a budget card, being a poor student, ideally £70 or less. I'm also looking for a card with two DVI outs, so I can run both my monitors.

I haven't paid much attention to graphics cards recently and quite frankly all the new card models scare me, but I've heard great things about ATi's new stuff so wouldn't be averse to giving them a try.

Any tips or pointers?

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-02-23 21:54:36

Ok guys, bear with me I need to know if this is possible, just a quick question.
Say I have a laptop, could I use it as a monitor for a desktop, and when I have to go places, I disconnect it from the desktop, and use it as a normal laptop. Would it be possible to have a hardrive set up as this:
>DESKTOP HD
>LAPTOP/DESKTOP HD
>LAPTOP HD
Have a harddrive for each PC, but also a shared hardrive.
Is that possible? If it is that is probably god tier college set up.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-03-08 07:55:56

At 2/27/10 02:52 AM, ph0ne wrote:
At 2/16/10 08:47 AM, PolishMatt wrote: I have the 1200
CoolerMaster ACTS 840 > Any Antec case.

How does a regular tower defeat a full tower? The interior of the case isn't even painted black. It also doesn't have a full 2nd wall that will hide cables like the 1200. Not to mention it doesn't even have half as many fans or drive bays made out of steel and tightened with screws, just flimsy plastic ones that will break after the 3rd HDD swap. And the air circulation for the HDDs looks lousy, 80% the area between the fans and disks are covered with a metal wall. Unless it's a Corsair's Obsidian Series 800D enclosure, it won't beat the Antec 1200.

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-03-09 04:23:26

At 10/15/08 11:56 PM, Aksumka wrote: I like this idea.

Anyway, my specs:

Q6600 (2.4 OC'd to about 2.8, need a better heatsink or something)
ATI (ASUS) 4850 512MB Vid card (ASUS gave us some simple software for OCing is, I don't just because of how hot it runs now)
2GB Corsair RAM (DDR2 whatever)
ASUS P5W DH Delux

Mine is so simmilar to yours its not funny

I Know Drugs, I Know Video Games, I Know Litliture, I Know Dru- wait...nevermind. Feel free to discuss any of these with me

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-03-15 16:00:35

Ok, I've put together myself a rig that I plan to make at some point in the late summer once I've got some cash in the bank. Keeping in mind I've never built my own rig before, I'd like your feedback on this set up.

This list contains EVERYTHING I should need. Operating System isn't an issue, as I have access to one free copy of XP, Vista and 7. I plan on dual booting Win 7 and a Linux distro. Possibly Tri booting with XP, since I don't know how 7 handles old games. Please point out parts that won't work with each other or whatever, like I said I'm a noob at this. Also, if Im missing something, point it out.

CPU
- AMD Phenom II X4 955 BlackEdition, 3.2GHz, 8MB Total Cache (Socket AM3)
- scan.co.uk
- £113.99

Motherboard
- MSI 890GXM-G65 AMD 890GX Socket AM3 Gigabit Ethernet 8 channel MATX Motherboard
- ebuyer.com
- £110.54

RAM
- Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 10666C9 1333MHz TwinX Dual Channel
- overclockers.co.uk
- £102.99

Graphics Card
- Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express
- overclockers.co.uk
- £124.98

Hard Drive
- Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM
- overclockers.co.uk
- £86.99 (x2)

Optical Drive
- LG GH22NP20 22x DVD±RW IDE ReWriter (Black) - OEM
- overclockers.co.uk
- £18.99

Cooling
- CoolIT Eco A.L.C. High-Performance CPU Watercooler
- overclockers.co.uk
- £58.99

Case
- Coolermaster Storm "Scout" Gaming Case - Black
- overclockers.co.uk
- £69.99

Power Supply
- OCZ StealthXStream 700w Silent Power Supply
- overclockers.co.uk
- £62.99

Monitor
- LG Flatron W2253TQ-PF 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor (1920x1080)
- overclockers.co.uk
- £129.99

Speakers
- Logitech X-140 2.0 Speaker System
- overclockers.co.uk
- £15.99

Keyboard
- Microsoft SideWinder X6 Gamers Keyboard with Detatchable Keypad - USB
- ebuyer.com
- £40.33

Mouse
- Razer Abyssus Gaming Mouse
- ebuyer.com
- £31.38

TOTAL COST = £1055.63

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-03-22 20:32:56

Fried my motherboard after turning on the XMP profile (whatever it's called) out of curiosity for the memory sticks in the BIOS. Had to wait two weeks for a new board and EVGA refused to fix it because it was physical damage, definitely buying a ASUS board next time (Had to buy the same one or else the RAID controller wouldn't recognize my RAID-0 and I would lose all my data, so in essence, it was keeping my data as hostage).

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-03-26 00:14:37

I have a question.. I don't think there's a better place to ask it than here.

I recently made the stupid mistake of being curious, so I opened up my computer and started taking out wires just so I could put them back in later. Now, I was definitely safe about this, don't worry. Powered down, didn't touch any of the hardware.

But, when I hooked everything back up.. The computer started, but now that's all that happens. I don't have a temperature read out, and my moniter doesnt show up with anything.

Not sure what to do about this guys.. I may have completely fucked myself.

Gran Turismo 5.

That is all.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-04-02 13:12:55

Ok, I just installed my first Graphics card from my on-board one.
Now I noticed that I need a new power supply, as my old one doesn't have another cable to attach to this card.
I need to know what power supply voltage I need to get.
Anyone have any pointers?

No matter what your weaknesses are, make sure your own abilities supersede them.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-04-02 19:37:52

Card/power supply specs? Just because it doesn't have the right plug doesn't mean it wouldn't have enough juice if you used an adapter.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-04-04 16:31:00

Sup guys.

My good friend Fluff reffered me to this thread on building a computer.

I would like the same help please.

+++What I want to do+++
Play games (MW1/2, TF2, CSS,) nothing too fancy.

Be able to run Flash, Photoshop, After Effects with no/little lag with many MCs on stage.

+++My price range+++
$500-$1000

P.S. - no need for a ricer case with led lights everywhere.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-04-04 17:08:15

Hiya guys, I need a little help picking out a decent motherboard. My dad who suddenly decided he needed a new computer has been pestering me to build him one in order to save some money. I have the knowledge to put a computer together but i don't really know what kind of motherboard would be acceptable.

Now this computer isn't going to be doing any serious gaming or whatnot (and by serious i mean crysis on ultra high). just some photoshopping, light gaming,watching HD movies/videos and internet browsing. The budget will be somewhere along the lines of 500 - 800 pounds. No overclocking capacity is really needed. But it needs to last a while without becoming really outdated.

I figured these specs would do nicely.....

E6600 C2D @ 2.4 GHZ
Geforce 9800 GT 256MB DDR3
4GB DDR2 (800MHZ)
Windows 7 ultimate
1TB hard drive (lots of stuff will be on this)
plus all the various cooling fans,LEDS and stuff.

So if any of you guys can recommend a good motherboard for this setup it would be greatly appreciated.

Any improvements to the above setup will also be welcome.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2010-05-05 18:07:39

My Birthday is coming up, and I'm going to get a new computer.
This one I CAN build myself, but I need to get a good parts (Something that can play Battlefield Bad Co. at mid settings).
The problem is,I don't know what to get / names of products
Our overall pricerange for the entire PC is $500 - $700.
I don't need to get an OS, as I have a copy of XP/Win7/Ubuntu at my home.
I'd like to have at least a Duo Core clocked around 2.3-3.0 each.
A good GFX card (as this is what I really need) preferably ndivia as I found that is better supported.
As for RAM, Probably 2 gigs.

I don't know about motherboards/PSU/CPUs so can anyone point me into the right direction?
(I'd like t have this upgradeable, but I'll take as is)
Is this possible with my current budget (What I should expect)

No matter what your weaknesses are, make sure your own abilities supersede them.