00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

XToriToriX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Computer Construction Crew

187,180 Views | 2,279 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-20 11:30:56

Also, tip for mobos:

Don't get expensive parts and cheap out on a motherboard. Your parts only work as fast as your motherboard will allow, so even if you have a good VGA and processor, your mobo can still cause poor performance.

S&Box, the gameĀ Facepunch Studio have been working on.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-20 11:34:06

At 11/20/08 11:30 AM, milinko959 wrote: Also, tip for mobos:

Don't get expensive parts and cheap out on a motherboard. Your parts only work as fast as your motherboard will allow, so even if you have a good VGA and processor, your mobo can still cause poor performance.

I never knew that. ;O

Anyways I love my Gigabyte motherboard, came with a sexy sticker too.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-20 17:17:57

I've decided to get my OS off of eBay. It's ~$200 less than newegg and legal (OEM version)

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-20 17:40:20

Did you settle on Xp or Vista?

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-21 00:19:25

At 11/20/08 05:40 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: Did you settle on Xp or Vista?

I don't want to take any chances - I'm going XP, and I'll probably get Vista 64 as a dual-boot option, but I want to wait till 7 comes out.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-21 00:23:55

At 11/21/08 12:19 AM, Rig wrote: I don't want to take any chances - I'm going XP, and I'll probably get Vista 64 as a dual-boot option, but I want to wait till 7 comes out.

I really hope MS can make Windows 7 not shit. Even though I have had no problems with my laptop with Vista, it still (Vista that is) should have been better.

|| AK || Play TF2 @ AK's ||

NG Archive - The Problems of the Past, Today!

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-21 01:27:44

At 11/21/08 12:23 AM, Aksumka wrote:
At 11/21/08 12:19 AM, Rig wrote: I don't want to take any chances - I'm going XP, and I'll probably get Vista 64 as a dual-boot option, but I want to wait till 7 comes out.
I really hope MS can make Windows 7 not shit. Even though I have had no problems with my laptop with Vista, it still (Vista that is) should have been better.

That's what happens when your deadline, and not the quality of the software, takes priority. If they had taken more time, it would've been better for sure. But if they HAD taken more time, their customers/shareholders would've been harsh. It's a tossup.

At least 7 is showing signs of awesomeness, eh? I can't wait till touchscreens become ubiquitous :D

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-21 10:02:38

At 11/21/08 01:48 AM, KingOfSnipers wrote: 1 a 97? gateway 2000 with a 600 mb processor(upgraded from 233mb)
a 1 terabyte hard drive (up from 4gb) a newer dvd drive, 3 cooling fans ( origonal, one on the motherboard, and the third for the rest of the comp)

Lol, what is that a Pentium II? Putting a 1TB hard drive in there seems a bit odd...That thing must run apps so slowly...

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-22 03:51:58

More build edits!

I'm not going to do RAID after all, as the good controllers are out of my price range at the moment. I'll get one later - I don't want to be cheap with it.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-22 03:53:53

At 11/22/08 03:51 AM, Rig wrote: More build edits!

Sorry, link was broken. Here's the right one.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-22 07:19:07

Hard disk drive silencers and a load of shit, since modern drives are already quiet, and all motherboards have onboard raid controllers these days.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-22 11:09:49

If you are going with dual core go with an AMD. You can get an AMD dual core of the same speed for under $100.

Also, no idea why your PSU is so expensive. That sounds really highly priced for 650w.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-22 12:00:50

At 11/22/08 11:09 AM, milinko959 wrote: If you are going with dual core go with an AMD. You can get an AMD dual core of the same speed for under $100.

Also, no idea why your PSU is so expensive. That sounds really highly priced for 650w.

The E8500 outperforms the a AMD athlon 64 x2 6000+ (Best or 2nd best AMD dual core out atm, I have it) by a lot.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-c harts-2008-q1-2008/Quake-IV,389.html

Compare the E8500 with the 6000+ pretty big difference, not to mention that you can overclock the E8500 way better than the 6000+, I only got mine to 3.3 from 3.1 GHZ.

Although I'd still get the AMD 6000+, it's good bang for the buck and it's more than enough for gaming and other things. Only get the Intel if you have money to spare.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-22 14:26:45

At 11/22/08 07:19 AM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: Hard disk drive silencers and a load of shit, since modern drives are already quiet, and all motherboards have onboard raid controllers these days.

Oh snap, onboard RAID? Nice.
And I'll probably get some sort of HD muffler, fan muffler, and/or acoustic insulation for my case - when the computer's right next to you working its ass off and you need a quiet environment, it's a great investment.

At 11/22/08 11:09 AM, milinko959 wrote: Also, no idea why your PSU is so expensive. That sounds really highly priced for 650w.

It's supposedly the best power supply ever. Efficient, quiet, stable, powerful. Also, I get 50 bucks off if I buy it with the Antec 900.

As for CPU, I'm sticking with Intel. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-22 15:07:47

At 11/22/08 02:26 PM, Rig wrote:.

At 11/22/08 11:09 AM, milinko959 wrote: Also, no idea why your PSU is so expensive. That sounds really highly priced for 650w.
It's supposedly the best power supply ever. Efficient, quiet, stable, powerful. Also, I get 50 bucks off if I buy it with the Antec 900.

Whatever...the 900 is an excellent case nonetheless. I have it on one of my builds. Definitely great for the price.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-22 15:29:29

I have some lame case.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-22 15:42:46

Hey guys.

In my PC, my gfx card (nVidia 8800GTS 320mb) is giving me intermittent grief so I'm thinking of an upgrade. I've heard on the street that the more recent ATi cards are pretty good, but I've fallen out of the loop since the X### range was superceded, can anyone tell me what's a good high-end budget ATi card (or if there's some good nVidia 9series one I'm happy with that too)? Also, I'm from the UK, so no newegg links plox. I'd prefer links to www.scan.co.uk or www.overclockers.co.uk or summat.
PCi-E x16, as normal.
Price range... around Ā£100 I guess, definitely no higher than Ā£150.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-22 17:56:22

At 11/22/08 03:42 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: Hey guys.

In my PC, my gfx card (nVidia 8800GTS 320mb) is giving me intermittent grief so I'm thinking of an upgrade. I've heard on the street that the more recent ATi cards are pretty good, but I've fallen out of the loop since the X### range was superceded, can anyone tell me what's a good high-end budget ATi card (or if there's some good nVidia 9series one I'm happy with that too)? Also, I'm from the UK, so no newegg links plox. I'd prefer links to www.scan.co.uk or www.overclockers.co.uk or summat.
PCi-E x16, as normal.

The 8800 GTS is a good card. I have a 9600 GT, which is about the same, or maybe even worse than your card and I've got it 3 weeks ago and I've been loving it since.

As long as it can run your games on high settings with decent fps you should be fine, and that's what my card does.

Anways, about ATi, I heard that chipsets are pretty shit and the cards can overheat more easily than Nvidia cards.

Although if you want ATi, and a card between 100 and 150 pounds, there's no point in doing so.

I found a good ATi hd4850 which is cheap for 110 pounds.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/512MB-Pal it-HD4850-PCI-E-20(x16)-1986MHz-GDDR3-GP U-625MHz-800-Cores-2x-DL-DVI-I-HDTV-HDCP

There's no point in getting it though because if you look at benchmarks and game tests, you will see a small gain in fps (like 10)

COD4 FPS : http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gamin g-graphics-charts-q3-2008/Call-of-Duty-4 -v1-6,746.html

Crysis FPS : http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gamin g-graphics-charts-q3-2008/Crysis-v1-21,7 50.html

3dmark06 : http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gamin g-graphics-charts-q3-2008/3DMark06-v1-1-
0-3DMark-Score,794.html

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-22 18:19:41

At 11/22/08 03:42 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: Hey guys.

PCi-E x16, as normal.

:3
And, here's the kicker. If your motherboard has two PCI express slots, you can set up your 8800 as a physX processor for even more performance.

Also, Rig, the e8500 is awesome. I've gone up to 4.75 Ghz on this monster, and 4.25 as my highest 24/7 setup.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-22 19:38:14

For Nvidia users only XD.

Nvidia has begun releasing beta drivers with CUDA capabilties. A brief description of CUDA is here. In short, CUDA allows your graphics card to perform tasks normally allotted to the CPU in programs which are coded for it.

The CUDA-enabled drivers are here.
Vista 64
Vista 32
XP 32

IMPORTANT
There is a right way and a wrong way to install a driver. Here's the right way:
-Download the new driver and put a shortcut to it on your desktop.
-Go to add/remove programs in your control panel. Uninstall "Nvidia Drivers"
-Restart your computer into safe mode.
-Use Driver sweeper on Nvidia Display drivers.
-Install the new drivers while still in safe mode.
-Boot up and test the drivers out in games/programs. If something goes horribly wrong, system restore.

Wrong way:
-Delete system 32

As far as the driver installation goes, the same process applies to ATI drivers, but since I am a green team guy, I'm not well versed in the latest drivers from them.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-23 13:38:55

At 11/22/08 07:38 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote:
For Nvidia users only XD.
Nvidia has begun releasing beta drivers with CUDA capabilties. A brief description of CUDA is here. In short, CUDA allows your graphics card to perform tasks normally allotted to the CPU in programs which are coded for it.

Anything for us ATI folks? :3

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-23 16:49:44

At 11/23/08 01:38 PM, Rig wrote: Anything for us ATI folks? :3

Sure thing. These are the latest WHQL catalyst drivers for ATI cards.
Vista 64
Vista 32
XP 32

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-23 18:25:49

I have a question...

I've been torn between the Asus P5Q Deluxe and the P5Q3 Deluxe. The main difference is that the P5Q3 has built-in Wireless N and is DDR3 only. Is it worth it to get the P5Q3 in spite of the expensive memory? DDR3 is going to be the new standard within a few years, and I've heard all sorts of tales about how amazing/terrible it is.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-23 18:46:57

At 11/23/08 06:25 PM, Rig wrote: I have a question...

I've been torn between the Asus P5Q Deluxe and the P5Q3 Deluxe. The main difference is that the P5Q3 has built-in Wireless N and is DDR3 only. Is it worth it to get the P5Q3 in spite of the expensive memory? DDR3 is going to be the new standard within a few years, and I've heard all sorts of tales about how amazing/terrible it is.

DDR3 triple channel is the newest tech, and will be the norm from now on in new motherboards. My suggestion, as wierd as it sounds, would be to get a DDR3 triple channel kit, put two of the sticks in your rig, and store one of the sticks up your arse until it's time for a new computer.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-23 18:54:46

At 11/23/08 06:46 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: DDR3 triple channel is the newest tech, and will be the norm from now on in new motherboards. My suggestion, as wierd as it sounds, would be to get a DDR3 triple channel kit, put two of the sticks in your rig, and store one of the sticks up your arse until it's time for a new computer.

As sensual as that sounds, I'm gonna most likely go with the P5Q. The RAM is cheap, will be around for a while still, and I can always get a PCI or USB Wireless N card someday. Once I upgrade the mobo, I'll go for DDR3 - by then, it will have hopefully dropped down to a more reasonable price.

Also, I'm not getting the Antec 900 after all - the Sigma Windstorm looks hawt. 5 120mm fans with room for one more, it's cheaper, more expandable, and it's tool-less. I chose the windowless model for more silence, but I'm still getting all the rubber mounts and other things I mention here.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-24 18:49:06

Hey guys, I need a bit of help. Lately I've been crashing out of games. Sometimes I'll get that "memory can't be 'read'" error, and other times (most of the time in fact) my system will just tank. I think it has to do with something overheating. I have a feeling it's my video card (ATI 4850 (asus)) since it likes to get hot.

I'm considering getting a new heatsink for it. The only problem is 1) I don't know if that will help it (the problem, not the card) and 2) I don't know what to look for and whats good in ways of VGA cooling. Right now I'm looking at this one I have a Zalman cooling my processor and have been using them for a while. Really, I just want some opinions.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-24 18:54:19

At 11/24/08 06:49 PM, Aksumka wrote: Bawwwwwwww

It could be the drivers. If you think it's overheating then check the temps. I recommend downloading SIW, because it's accurate and you can run it while gaming, and when you quit the game you can check it and see how high the temps went up to.

I was playing COD4 today and some guy was getting crashes and also had Ati and told me it was because of the drivers.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-25 15:32:46

At 11/24/08 06:49 PM, Aksumka wrote: I have a feeling it's my video card (ATI 4850 (asus)) since it likes to get hot.

From what I've read, the 4850 is one of the hottest chips around. That's why I'm getting this MSI model. Have you recently increased the graphics quality of your games? Increased pressure on the card might be the culprit, and a good reason to get that heatsink.

But yeah, download the latest drivers as well.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-11-25 23:46:34

I'm going to blame shoddy drivers. I am currently uninstalling what I have now (the latest, go figure) and going back a few versions.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2008-12-05 12:19:46

Nice that you built a computer. I wish to do so too but I'm worried I'll break something.

Your gfx card sucks, I take it you aren't going to game?

I'll try to answer your question.

For HDD, when I got a new one, I had it plugged in and shit. Then I had to go to control panel, add hardware, and select the HDD.

Not sure for CPU. You might have to do some tweaks but I'm not sure.