00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mariobros22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Computer Construction Crew

186,699 Views | 2,279 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-08-01 23:49:41

At 8/1/09 02:52 PM, Grubby wrote: Where do you guys get all this money for these powerful parts?

i know man... right now im trying to save up enough money so i can get all my parts at once.. but im having trouble with that... i think they all have jobs.. i dont have a stable job, man.. thats only because im a teen living in america!
:P

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-08-01 23:54:08

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-08-02 00:50:08

At 8/1/09 02:52 PM, Grubby wrote: Where do you guys get all this money for these powerful parts?

It's called a job. Birthdays and celebrations help too though.

At 8/1/09 11:54 PM, McZero wrote: This case offers stuff with it, should I get them?

The case is one of the least important parts of a complete build so it doesn't really matter, despite what some might say about air flow but that's only important when you're aiming to make a machine for benchmarks.

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-08-02 18:58:28

This is sort of a request for a friend, since I have little-to-no knowledge of building computers or what all the different things mean...
(I understand the basics, RAM, memory and such, but the difference between CPU's and other technical things utterly confuzzles me...)

He was considering buying a Mac, but after much convincing, I've persuaded him not to since they are so overpriced (Come on... £800 for a Mac that's less powerful than a £600 PC?...)
And since it's cheaper to build your own PC, or at least you get more power and performance for the same price, I was wondering if any of you guys could help me with builds or such...

What'd be an amazing help would be if you could show / tell me the best parts for this PC from overclockers.co.uk, since it seems helpful with the whole building it for you, but I still don't understand what the different things actually mean...

What he's looking for is probably about a mid-ranged PC, based more for media use, such as photo's, videos, editing videos, and generally an all rounder apart from that...
The budget is a max of £800.

If you guys could help me with this, I'd be grateful, since as I've said before, I'm a complete computer tech noobie.

Thanks.

Being inconsiderate about Michael Jackson since 25/05/09

Best. Animation. Ever. (NSFW/FL?)

Blind users club

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-08-02 19:13:36

At 8/2/09 06:58 PM, Akkryls wrote: This is sort of a request for a friend, since I have little-to-no knowledge of building computers or what all the different things mean...
(I understand the basics, RAM, memory and such, but the difference between CPU's and other technical things utterly confuzzles me...)

He was considering buying a Mac, but after much convincing, I've persuaded him not to since they are so overpriced (Come on... £800 for a Mac that's less powerful than a £600 PC?...)
And since it's cheaper to build your own PC, or at least you get more power and performance for the same price, I was wondering if any of you guys could help me with builds or such...

What'd be an amazing help would be if you could show / tell me the best parts for this PC from overclockers.co.uk, since it seems helpful with the whole building it for you, but I still don't understand what the different things actually mean...

What he's looking for is probably about a mid-ranged PC, based more for media use, such as photo's, videos, editing videos, and generally an all rounder apart from that...

If you guys could help me with this, I'd be grateful, since as I've said before, I'm a complete computer tech noobie.

Thanks.

http://overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.ph p?prodid=CP-225-IN 2Ghz dual core

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduc t.php?prodid=MB-125-GI&groupid=701&catid =5&subcat=1485 Motherboard

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduc t.php?prodid=MY-185-CS&groupid=701&catid =8&subcat=813 4gigs of ram

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduc t.php?prodid=HD-135-WD 500 gigs of storage

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduc t.php?prodid=CA-033-OC&groupid=701&catid =123&subcat= 400 Watt power supply

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduc t.php?prodid=GX-077-BG&groupid=701&catid =56&subcat=1010 9500gt graphics card

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduc t.php?prodid=CD-087-LG&groupid=701&catid =10&subcat= DVD drive

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduc t.php?prodid=CA-101-AN&groupid=701&catid =7&subcat= Antec 300 case

This computer will go above and beyond what your friend needs, and be able to play some games on medium setting to boot. The total in my cart is £336.18.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-08-02 19:50:44

At 8/2/09 07:13 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: PURE UNBRIDLED AWESOMENESS

I. Fucking. Love you.

And thanks for the help, I could never have managed to work it out on my own...

Blind users club

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-08-02 20:04:22

My friend is still somewhat fixed on a mac... We've whittled it down to him getting all this gear and making one and then installing the Mac OS over the top...

First of all, I was just checking to see if that's even possible through this build? (I know how to do it... The ol' Hackintosh way... And installing it isn't that big an issue... Its just whether I can install it rather than using the windows OS)

Blind users club

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-08-02 20:13:38

At 8/2/09 07:13 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: This computer will go above and beyond what your friend needs, and be able to play some games on medium setting to boot. The total in my cart is £336.18.

I'm a bit confused, you're suggesting him a Celeron and not even using half the money. Are you putting into consideration the cost of the monitor and key/mou as well? Or was that idea already settled upon?

At 8/2/09 06:58 PM, Akkryls wrote: What he's looking for is probably about a mid-ranged PC, based more for media use, such as photo's, videos, editing videos, and generally an all rounder apart from that...

CPU: Core i7 920
GPU: ASUS 260GTX
RAM: Partriot DDR3 6GB
MOBO: ASUS P6T SE
HDD: WD CB 500GB
PSU: Corsair TX 650W
ROM: Sony DVD-W
CASE: Antec 300
HS: Noctua NH-U12P

Total that shopped up in my cart was: £796.90. If the plan was to also get a monitor, then I guess just go with TSF's build, even though it's a bit skinny. I know my build is a bit heavy but without a doubt probably the best bang for your buck, with or without OC'ing.

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-08-02 20:16:26

We can get our hands on keyboards and monitors and such, salvaged from other computers / old computers...
Its all good in that department...

The pressing question now is related to the Mac OS as I said before, is it possible to install it on TSF's build?

Blind users club

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-08-02 21:01:37

At 8/2/09 08:16 PM, Akkryls wrote: The pressing question now is related to the Mac OS as I said before, is it possible to install it on TSF's build?

You'll almost certainly run into problems with compatibility. For example, I know that EVGA produces a GTX 285 seperate for Mac's because the bios ROM on the regular one doesn't support the OS. You can always try, the worst case scenario is that you reformat and install windows anyway.

Matt, it's pretty impressive that you could stay under budget for a build like that, but why would you suggest i7 and a 260 to someone who's only going to surf the internet and watch movies?

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-08-02 21:20:41

At 8/2/09 09:01 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: Matt, it's pretty impressive that you could stay under budget for a build like that,

thanks, I thought so as well.

but why would you suggest i7 and a 260 to someone who's only going to surf the internet and watch movies?

Quote: "based more for media use, such as photo's, videos, editing videos". First thing that came into mind 'Number crunching', second - High multi-core utilization, third - Hefty GPU for programs such as Photoshop CS4, fourth - Future upgradable.

He could always skip out on the i7, Mobo, RAM and get nice high class LGA775 ones and a Wolfedale.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-08-03 00:27:04

CPU
Motherboard
Video Card
Power Supply
Hardrive
Memory
DVD Drive- Can I use a previous PC's? Like one from the 90's or 2000?
Computer Case(Can I change blue to Green?)
----------------------
Ok, so I made a parts list from NewEgg, and this is what I came up with, I want my PC to run games at least on 3/5 quality, preferably 4/5. I also want to run Flash 8/CS3 and Photoshop Elements 5.0.
I think I did not too great of a job, I think I went for cheap stuff, but I'm willing to spend 1,000$ on my rig.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-08-03 01:54:49

Matt, do you care to share how you were able to install the Mac OS onto your machine?

RAWR.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-08-03 01:57:59

At 8/3/09 12:27 AM, McZero wrote: CPU
Motherboard
Video Card
Power Supply
Hardrive
Memory
Computer Case(Can I change blue to Green?)
----------------------
I think I did not too great of a job, I think I went for cheap stuff, but I'm willing to spend 1,000$ on my rig.

It's un-proportional. You obviously looked purely at the price tags and paid no attention to the quality and specs of the hardware. You have two cases listed, one of them already with a power supply. You also missed three or so pieces, meaning if you were to just order this now, you wouldn't be able to get it to start.

Your also chose a 5400RPM 3.5" drive, it's impossible to find those, that's more of an appropriate RPM standard for laptop hard drives. Invest 20 bucks more and get a proper 7.2K drive. IF anything, get a 500GB 7.2K drive for 45$, I doubt you have that many files anyways if you're using your old computer which I believe specified a 200GB HDD.

I won't say anything about the processor, that's fine if you want AMD. Motherboard is crap though. DFI is a unknown brand which no one can buys as you can see that there is only 12 reviews for it. Do yourself a favor, invest 20 or 40 bucks more and get an ASUS.

I would say the case is an over kill considering you're not even getting an aftermarket cooling system so all that air flow is pointless if you're not going to fire up the processor a bit. The RAM is really nice and would go well with the GPU but once again, looks funny on a board by DFI. Another note, the GPU is a over kill. A HD4870 or even a 4850 will do you enough justice.

That behemoth 295 is useless unless you have a 2560x1600 resolution and play Crysis only. Anything actually typically used and needed for playing games at sane resolution as 1680x1050 or 1440x900 with games as TF2 or Prototype, a 9 Series or 4800 series is more than enough. The sweet spot is $150~175.

If you want to change the colour that badly, get ready to shell out some cash for new LEDs and doing some soldering. That or pray to find some kit on ebay.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-08-03 07:23:09

At 8/3/09 12:27 AM, McZero wrote: CPU

Not a bad choice, going for an AMD trike. It's a very solid chip, but you've chosen the low power variant; useless for you. Go with the 2.8ghz 720 BE instead.

Motherboard

Good motherboard, not compatible. The way you tell compatibility of motherboard/CPU is by what socket it is. For example, this intel motherboard is a socket 775, but the chip you've chosen is a socket AM3. This is my recommendation for a motherboard.

Video Card

Matt's right, this is wayyyy overkill for you. For the record, at 2560x1600, a single GTX 280 is enough to play crysis on high. Cards in the range Matt suggested would be better suited. Some other ones you might want to look into are the 9800gt, the 9600gt, and the ATI 4770. The 9600gt is the lowest end of the spectrum, and even that can play crysis on medium. A 4770 can play Crysis on high. In fact, I have either a 4770 or a 9600gt personally stocked that I could give you a good deal on if you settle on one of those.

For future reference, I hate having to explain graphical power in terms of Crysis, but it seems to be the easiest way.

Power Supply

That's a power supply and case combo, silly. Both are great products, but you could probably go cheaper if you need to. The cooler master cm690 is a great case, and OCZ makes some quality power supplies.

Hardrive

Decent choice in brand, but like matt said, get a 7200rpm drive. Hard drives work by storing data on a magnetic disk. The faster the disk spins, the quicker the hard drive can read information, making it better.

Memory

Good choice in Ram, I have those sticks running in my newgrounds computer.

A computer that old might not even have a DVD drive, but if it does, sure you can. For $25 though, you might as well get a shiny new one.

Ok, so I made a parts list from NewEgg

I'd say not bad for your first go-around.

and this is what I came up with, I want my PC to run games at least on 3/5 quality, preferably 4/5. I also want to run Flash 8/CS3 and Photoshop Elements 5.0.

Maxing things out is A LOT easier than computer retailers want you to think. This computer will be able to keep pace with that Alienware you wanted. Easily.

I've been collecting parts from computers for a while now, and I decided to take inventory. Here's everything I have.

-Random Socket 478 motherboard
-3 sticks 256mb DDR ram
-Nvidia 7300 LE
-ATI 4770
-2Ghz 478 pentium 4
-2.93Ghz 478 celeron
-80GB IDE drive
-160GB IDE drive
-3 PCI modem cards
-2 200 watt power supplies
-250 watt power supply
-2 IDE DVD drives
-4 120x25mm fans
-1 120x38mm fan
-1 Floppy drive

That's seriously a lot of spare stuff.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-08-03 09:02:52

Actually I would consider a 9600GSO if you're up for some overclocking. At stock a 9600GT is better, but if you overclock it good it will be better (they overclock quite easy from what I heard) cause of more shaders.

It's cheaper too.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-08-03 12:35:07

Thesneakyfrench your an attention whore. my computer was bought from dell and i love it. stop being a nerd and making everyone who bought a computer feel bad, your wasting your life with this shit.

Go YUKON!

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-08-03 13:39:13

At 8/3/09 12:35 PM, killzone2lover wrote: Thesneakyfrench your an attention whore. my computer was bought from dell and i love it. stop being a nerd and making everyone who bought a computer feel bad, your wasting your life with this shit.

Says the guy with Soulja boy in his sig. As your computer, it's a fact written in stone that you bought it over priced and it's probably still filled with the same trial programs that came installed with it. IF you don't like what we do, just fuck off, easy as that.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-08-03 13:50:08

At 8/3/09 01:39 PM, PolishMatt wrote: Says the guy with Soulja boy in his sig. As your computer, it's a fact written in stone that you bought it over priced and it's probably still filled with the same trial programs that came installed with it. IF you don't like what we do, just fuck off, easy as that.

You just got trolled by Twilight.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-08-03 15:05:32

At 8/3/09 01:54 AM, TheWolfe wrote: Matt, do you care to share how you were able to install the Mac OS onto your machine?

I repeat.

RAWR.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-08-03 15:42:24

somebody send me a mugen 2 please

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-08-03 15:51:09

At 8/3/09 01:50 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: You just got trolled by Twilight.

Silence never won any wars.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-08-03 16:42:11

Im buying parts for a compueter at Newegg.com and I think Im done but Im not sure if all tharts will work together

Here's the stuff Im planning to buy so far:

Harddrive - Western Digital Caviar Green WD7500AADS 750GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - OEM

Video Card - MSI N9600GT-MD1G GeForce 9600 GT 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Power Supply - Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 1000W Continuous Power ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Keyboard - RAZER Lycosa Black 104 Normal Keys USB Wired Standard Gaming Keyboard

RAM - Patriot Viper 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PVT36G1600ELK

Motherboard - ASUS P6T WS PRO LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Core i7 / Xeon Intel Motherboard

Processor - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600

Heatsink/Fan - ZEROtherm ZEN FZ120 120mm CPU Cooler

Computer Case - Thermaltake M9 VI1000BWS Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Dvd/Cd Drives - Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B, LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model GH22LP20 LightScribe Support

I realy need the feedback.

Your Mothers so ugly shes like a brick...... dirty, flat on all sides, and she always gets laid by Mexicans.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-08-03 16:50:49

At 8/3/09 04:42 PM, DragonFire94 wrote: Im buying parts for a compueter at Newegg.com and I think Im done but Im not sure if all tharts will work together

Here's the stuff Im planning to buy so far:

Harddrive - Western Digital Caviar Green WD7500AADS 750GB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - OEM

Get caviar black instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16822136283

Video Card - MSI N9600GT-MD1G GeForce 9600 GT 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

I'd say a 9600gt is pretty weak, and a card such as a 9600gt does not need 1gb of memory.

So get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16814102850

Power Supply - Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1000 1000W Continuous Power ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Woah woah woah, you do not need 1000w. Even if you want to be futureproof 1000 w is still overkill.

This baby should last you long: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16817139010

Keyboard - RAZER Lycosa Black 104 Normal Keys USB Wired Standard Gaming Keyboard

RAM - Patriot Viper 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PVT36G1600ELK

Motherboard - ASUS P6T WS PRO LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Core i7 / Xeon Intel Motherboard

Processor - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600

Now the problem here is, a Q6600 won't work with the i7 motherboard. So do you want a Q6600 or something in the same catagory or do you wanna go 17?

Heatsink/Fan - ZEROtherm ZEN FZ120 120mm CPU Cooler

Get a mugen 2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16835185093&Tpk=mugen%202

Computer Case - Thermaltake M9 VI1000BWS Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

It's an okay case... But it will do

Dvd/Cd Drives - Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B, LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model GH22LP20 LightScribe Support

I realy need the feedback.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-08-03 17:00:44

Tacofreak, really expensive PSU. Get this

RAWR.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-08-03 17:01:08

I dont realy know anything about computers butim trying my best to learn the terms and stuff but as far as the processor goes I want something that works great for whatever, I willing to spend any amount of money to put together a kick ass computer for games and running programs.

Your Mothers so ugly shes like a brick...... dirty, flat on all sides, and she always gets laid by Mexicans.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-08-03 17:02:17

Matt-
Sorry, Im just new to this stuff.
List-
I've updated it with the parts TSF and Matt recommended. I know I'm missing stuff, like fans, and such, but Im clueless.
CPU
Motherboard
Video Card- TSF, I'll take you up on that 4770 deal, if it's cheaper than NewEgg
Power Supply
Hardrive
Memory
There are 2 cases I'm now considering since Matt said the case I picked was unnecessary-

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-08-03 17:18:34

At 8/3/09 05:01 PM, DragonFire94 wrote: I dont realy know anything about computers butim trying my best to learn the terms and stuff but as far as the processor goes I want something that works great for whatever, I willing to spend any amount of money to put together a kick ass computer for games and running programs.

Any amount of money? Okay let's go.

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16819103649

Alternatively you can get

a. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16819103674&Tpk=955

b. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16819103680

The first CPU I linked is a great one. It overclocks great, has 3 cores, etc.

The 2nd cpu has 4 cores, but it is more expensive by a decent amount, and runs hotter. Unless you want to shell out uneeded money don't get this.

The 3rd cpu has 2 cores, but it overclocks better than the first CPU.

I suggest the 720 BE.

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16813128387

Does it all.

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16811119197

Great case, great price

CPU cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16835185093&Tpk=mugen%202

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16820220314

Video card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16814102848

If you ever want to upgrade in the future, just buy another one.

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16817139010

It's modular. Modular PSU = you don't have a shitstorm of cables

HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as px?Item=N82E16822136284

Think thats it

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-08-03 17:46:12

Nice you made everything better and even cut $300-$400 off my last setup thanks for the help but Im still deciding on the CPU to use.

Response to Computer Construction Crew 2009-08-03 17:49:21

At 8/3/09 05:46 PM, DragonFire94 wrote: Nice you made everything better and even cut $300-$400 off my last setup thanks for the help but Im still deciding on the CPU to use.

Well there are a few factors do this:

Your budget

What you do on your computer

If you only game and do internet browsing and all that jazz, you should get the dual core or the tri core.