00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ArkihamVA just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Mac8 - Fif Discussion Thread

8,600 Views | 168 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Mac8 - Fif Discussion Thread 2008-10-27 10:29:45

At 10/27/08 01:54 AM, MaestroRage wrote: open judging. Any person who didn't compete is allowed to help judge. Judges give in their top 10 entries in relevant order. So their first is who they think should win, second is second place, etc etc etc.

Can't a system like that be abused fairly easy if a guy has alts or something like that?

Response to Mac8 - Fif Discussion Thread 2008-10-27 10:36:09

At 10/27/08 10:29 AM, cHunter wrote: Can't a system like that be abused fairly easy if a guy has alts or something like that?

This is Maestro! He can see through any disguise.

xray goggles lolol

Response to Mac8 - Fif Discussion Thread 2008-10-27 11:45:33

At 10/27/08 10:29 AM, cHunter wrote:
At 10/27/08 01:54 AM, MaestroRage wrote: open judging. Any person who didn't compete is allowed to help judge. Judges give in their top 10 entries in relevant order. So their first is who they think should win, second is second place, etc etc etc.
Can't a system like that be abused fairly easy if a guy has alts or something like that?

again, I has a system that works relatively well. You'd be surprised at how stupid some of these alts are.

YOU'RE NOT ONE OF THEM ARE YOU >:(!!!?

Disqualified

Response to Mac8 - Fif Discussion Thread 2008-10-27 14:18:50

At 10/27/08 12:46 PM, zellers wrote: Don't you have access to IP logs?

no of course not. Mods are not admins.

Response to Mac8 - Fif Discussion Thread 2008-10-27 14:31:54

At 10/27/08 11:45 AM, MaestroRage wrote: YOU'RE NOT ONE OF THEM ARE YOU >:(!!!?

Disqualified

If I come in anything but last then I think it's safe to assume I alted. :P

But noez, I don't have alts. All the good names are taken. :3

Response to Mac8 - Fif Discussion Thread 2008-10-27 20:42:31

At 10/27/08 08:26 PM, Neodrummer wrote:
At 10/27/08 02:18 PM, MaestroRage wrote:
At 10/27/08 12:46 PM, zellers wrote: Don't you have access to IP logs?
no of course not. Mods are not admins.
And admins. are not mods. :P

Or are they o.O

Actually I think they are... :O

Response to Mac8 - Fif Discussion Thread 2008-10-27 20:45:37

At 10/27/08 11:45 AM, MaestroRage wrote:
again, I has a system that works relatively well. You'd be surprised at how stupid some of these alts are.

YOU'RE NOT ONE OF THEM ARE YOU >:(!!!?

Disqualified

HMMMMM..... So lets set aside the fact that its a possibility that someone can make an alternate account to rack in more votes because its ultimately impossible to stop, in fact This ideology wouldn't be any different then a contestant asking his NG friends to judge. The only reason i feel that the scoring system is valid is because the final decision is up to MaestroRage. For all we know the judges have absolutely no knowledge of music and vote on preference, but in the end The maestro has already taken a deeper look at every song and wouldn't allow a bad choice to win, no matter how many votes it has. Im not saying that any one song is bad but you always have to take into account how much time and effort is put into a song.

Response to Mac8 - Fif Discussion Thread 2008-10-27 22:15:30

At 10/27/08 08:45 PM, Cebster wrote: HMMMMM..... So lets set aside the fact that its a possibility that someone can make an alternate account to rack in more votes because its ultimately impossible to stop, in fact This ideology wouldn't be any different then a contestant asking his NG friends to judge. The only reason i feel that the scoring system is valid is because the final decision is up to MaestroRage. For all we know the judges have absolutely no knowledge of music and vote on preference, but in the end The maestro has already taken a deeper look at every song and wouldn't allow a bad choice to win, no matter how many votes it has. Im not saying that any one song is bad but you always have to take into account how much time and effort is put into a song.

So you're saying no matter who actually gets voted to win, maestro's fav wins?

Also, saying something's not good because the author didn't spend a lot of time on it is like saying, "z0mg this game is amazing because it's been in development for thee years lolol." We all know that was not the case with Daikatana. Length spent working on a piece in no way correlates to its quality in my opinion.

Response to Mac8 - Fif Discussion Thread 2008-10-27 22:22:48

shame i missed it, i been waiting for a calm minimalist themed MAC which i could do a jazzy piano solo for. oh well maybe next year :(
good luck to those who took part

BBS Signature

Response to Mac8 - Fif Discussion Thread 2008-10-27 23:38:56

while i'm waiting for the judge deadling I think i'll go review every song. Because why not!?

Also cHunter it's not about my favorite. Cebster may have over exaggerated my involvement. It's true I look over the list and if for whatever reason a really crappy song places too high, or a REALLY good song gets overlooked I will bump them. After the 8 bit Christmas MAC it was clear sometimes intervention was necessary.

There are guidelines I follow to weed out the fake judges or useless judges that work relatively well. Of course I won't post them here so that these fake basturds will think of ways around them, but rest assured, the system is not so vulnerable.

Response to Mac8 - Fif Discussion Thread 2008-10-27 23:39:31

At 10/27/08 10:15 PM, cHunter wrote:
So you're saying no matter who actually gets voted to win, maestro's fav wins?

That's not at all what im saying because its not about his personal prefrefence. If that was true then it would hardly be a contest, it would be " inpress The maestro". I havent really met him but i have skimed through his review and they look thoughtful and well ploted. I have not listened to much of his music but from what i have heard and from the reviews i did read i can tell that he has some concept of musical theroy. With that being said it safe to assume that if a song wins its preobally going to be a Good song.

Also, saying something's not good because the author didn't spend a lot of time on it is like saying, "z0mg this game is amazing because it's been in development for thee years lolol." We all know that was not the case with Daikatana. Length spent working on a piece in no way correlates to its quality in my opinion.

While typing my first reply i had taken this into consideration but really didnt feel a need to go into it, i guess i have to now. First I would like to explain how you contradicted yourself in your own example. Your mention a game that took three years to make and its quality doesnt correlate, Now the key to your contradiction is what you mention at the end. " In My Opinion" this again runs along with what i said earlier, its your personal prefrance. With that being saide wherether or not the game sucks i dont know. If it took three years to make and you thought it was boring i would correct you, now on the other hand if the game was hardly developed, short and had crappy game play than you would be right. They way you exspreessed that was like taking a fact and making it into an opinion.

Now about the music, its true somebody could have spent a year on a song and it still could have turned out shitty, Though i higly doudt this (so long as they understand some musical concepts).For instance a long amount of time was spent on one song but it has no transtions and wasnt pieced together right, well that yeah that would be a bad song and probally wouldnt win. As for a song that has allot of time put into it that follows along musical concepts but has a bad mealody, I dont even think we can continue this conversation because other ideas come into play. Its true a song can have a bad melody without it just being your personal prefrance but not enough of us are well enough edgucated to determine that so we just go off what we think.

Response to Mac8 - Fif Discussion Thread 2008-10-27 23:49:24

At 10/27/08 11:38 PM, MaestroRage wrote: stuff

Ah, that makes sense.

At 10/27/08 11:39 PM, Cebster wrote: i can tell that he has some concept of musical theroy. With that being said it safe to assume that if a song wins its preobally going to be a Good song.

Is it sad that I'm still not sure what music theory is?

rhetorical question

Response to Mac8 - Fif Discussion Thread 2008-10-28 00:19:47

At 10/27/08 11:49 PM, cHunter wrote:
Is it sad that I'm still not sure what music theory is?

I fixed your problem.

quarl BandCamp

Response to Mac8 - Fif Discussion Thread 2008-10-28 00:39:23

At 10/28/08 12:19 AM, Quarl wrote: I fixed your problem.

Real music doesn't come from the "Consonance and dissonance". It comes from the soul n' shit. Wikipedia is flawed.

Response to Mac8 - Fif Discussion Thread 2008-10-28 00:44:09

At 10/28/08 12:39 AM, cHunter wrote:
Real music doesn't come from the "Consonance and dissonance". It comes from the soul n' shit. Wikipedia is flawed.

no its not sad, you have to take classes on it hahah, also i agree wiki is bullshit.

Response to Mac8 - Fif Discussion Thread 2008-10-28 01:23:28

At 10/27/08 11:38 PM, MaestroRage wrote: while i'm waiting for the judge deadling I think i'll go review every song. Because why not!?

Also cHunter it's not about my favorite. Cebster may have over exaggerated my involvement. It's true I look over the list and if for whatever reason a really crappy song places too high, or a REALLY good song gets overlooked I will bump them. After the 8 bit Christmas MAC it was clear sometimes intervention was necessary.

Heyyyyy.... what do you mean after the 8 bit Christmas MAC intervention was necessary?

I won that MAC >=[

Bastard.

Srsly though.. very minimal effort went into that.. I was surprised I won.. no offense taken. lol

At 1/16/12 03:08 AM, Xyresic wrote: EchozAurora: The SEXY Audio Mod. (2019 edit lol not anymoar)

Check out soundcloud.com/echozaurora for more recent songs and DJ mixes!

BBS Signature

Response to Mac8 - Fif Discussion Thread 2008-10-28 01:25:03

no you didn't...

did you?

Well there was a MAC where this random person with some crappy song won first place and everybody was jumping up and down that there should be blood and much mother insultage.

I probably have the wrong MAC in mind. Didn't mean to offend/

Response to Mac8 - Fif Discussion Thread 2008-10-28 01:34:59

Yeps

Related News Post..

LOL CAC.

At 1/16/12 03:08 AM, Xyresic wrote: EchozAurora: The SEXY Audio Mod. (2019 edit lol not anymoar)

BBS Signature

Response to Mac8 - Fif Discussion Thread 2008-10-28 01:52:52

At 10/28/08 01:34 AM, EchozAurora wrote: Yeps

Related News Post..

LOL CAC.

wow i just listened to it and i cant get over how somebody commented how it sounded like ding fries are done. How retarded can you be.

Response to Mac8 - Fif Discussion Thread 2008-10-28 02:03:56

At 10/28/08 12:39 AM, cHunter wrote:

No shit. But what the hell does posting a link to a music theory article have to do with making "real music" ?

BBS Signature

Response to Mac8 - Fif Discussion Thread 2008-10-28 02:06:16

Yay for the internet.. right?

Interesting how it is one of the most profound cultural and technological advances.. perhaps in the history of mankind... yet for every great thing it does, it does equally as many.. maybe multiple times as many things to aid in our self-destruction.

BBS Signature

Response to Mac8 - Fif Discussion Thread 2008-10-28 02:43:20

At 10/28/08 02:06 AM, EchozAurora wrote: Yay for the internet.. right?

Interesting how it is one of the most profound cultural and technological advances.. perhaps in the history of mankind... yet for every great thing it does, it does equally as many.. maybe multiple times as many things to aid in our self-destruction.

To wit: 4chan.

Response to Mac8 - Fif Discussion Thread 2008-10-28 02:56:30

At 10/28/08 02:43 AM, SolusLunes wrote:
At 10/28/08 02:06 AM, EchozAurora wrote: Yay for the internet.. right?

Yeah thats a great point :}

To wit: 4chan.

hmm i know i see some big audio authors stupidly referencing it, makes me kinda sick.....

Response to Mac8 - Fif Discussion Thread 2008-10-28 03:00:04

some of them reference it without even being aware due to exposure from those who are referencing it.

Though I know of 4chan, I for one didn't know that the "MOAR" thing came from there.

or... did it...?

Response to Mac8 - Fif Discussion Thread 2008-10-28 08:23:19

At 10/28/08 03:00 AM, MaestroRage wrote: some of them reference it without even being aware due to exposure from those who are referencing it.

Though I know of 4chan, I for one didn't know that the "MOAR" thing came from there.

or... did it...?

Maestro needz 2 lurk moar!

But seriously, as long as the jokes are funny and relevant (no and/or, needs both to be amusing), I don't know where it comes from. If it's posted in the audio forum, then it's instantly converted to .ng format via rule 10.

i can has runners-up place naow?

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE

Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature

Response to Mac8 - Fif Discussion Thread 2008-10-28 08:29:40

Jeez, everyone get off my back, I'm a fucking drummer.

quarl BandCamp

Response to Mac8 - Fif Discussion Thread 2008-10-28 08:36:18

At 10/28/08 08:29 AM, Quarl wrote: Jeez, everyone get off my back, I'm a fucking drummer.

NO, You're a fucking hypocrite !
:))

Response to Mac8 - Fif Discussion Thread 2008-10-28 08:37:20

lol. nice. I love it when people link to that.

quarl BandCamp

Response to Mac8 - Fif Discussion Thread 2008-10-28 08:50:06

At 10/28/08 08:37 AM, Quarl wrote: lol. nice. I love it when people link to that.

It'll be hanging over you for the rest of your life, you know that, right?

Also:

At 10/28/08 08:36 AM, sorohanro wrote:
At 10/28/08 08:29 AM, Quarl wrote: Jeez, everyone get off my back, I'm a fucking drummer.
NO, You're a fucking hypocrite !
))

Relevant picture.

Mac8 - Fif Discussion Thread

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE

Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature

Response to Mac8 - Fif Discussion Thread 2008-10-28 08:53:01

At 10/28/08 02:03 AM, S3C wrote: No shit. But what the hell does posting a link to a music theory article have to do with making "real music" ?

I was just kidding because I actually know nothing about making music.