00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RYKEO just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Mercenary81's Art thread

6,263 Views | 98 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Mercenary81's Art thread 2008-08-20 04:02:14

I can't take art this year, no matter how much i want to. No room in my schedule. I've never learned anything about art from a teacher. I've never read anything about it. I've just figured it out myself so far.
I hope to see a good amount of improvement in this thread, I'll update it regularly. Advanced criticism is exactly what i want.
Nitpick at every little thing i do. Tear my art apart. Tell me what i did wrong and how to fix it. That's what i need. Once i get good, which I know i will, don't tell me my arts good. Still tear it apart. I want as much help as i can get.
I have a sketchbook with dozens of pages filled out, but its really awkward scanning so i won't do that much unless I have something i really wanna show. I've got flash and photoshop and most likely they'll be what im using most of the time. Recently I've mainly been doing backgrounds and landscapes, but i already have a thread i was using so i won't repost any. Im working on anatomy and lighting techniques at the moment.

The file uploaded is a few months old, but my scanner doesn't seem to be working and i didn't have any other unposted material in my computer. I think i'm already better then this, but i still like the picture.

Mercenary81's Art thread

Ghost/Supernat. Club | Join the Family | The FlashBase.

You always need at least one asshole moderator for your forum. Its not opinion, its fact

Response to Mercenary81's Art thread 2008-08-20 07:33:16

Argggggggh damnit not this image again
Why don't you post the running character you did for the game we wanted to put a sponsor ad
That's a cool animation

Response to Mercenary81's Art thread 2008-08-20 08:25:08

It's Ok. I bet you could do way better.

AIM: ItsMissVicious2u

BBS Signature

Response to Mercenary81's Art thread 2008-08-20 17:52:01

At 8/20/08 07:33 AM, Argentin wrote: Argggggggh damnit not this image again
Why don't you post the running character you did for the game we wanted to put a sponsor ad
That's a cool animation

One: I deleted that and redid it a while ago.
Two: That's an animation, not art.

It's Ok. I bet you could do way better.

I CAN. I WILL. I AM.

You always need at least one asshole moderator for your forum. Its not opinion, its fact

Response to Mercenary81's Art thread 2008-08-25 22:31:00

Great news. Well, for me at least. I actually did get to take art, I ended up dropping spanish for it. I figured i had plenty of time to make up the credits for it.
The bad side of that is that the amazing art teacher at my school moved during the summer. He left us with a so far sub-par teacher that doesn't catch my attention very well.

Anyway, I haven't been updating this thread because i haven't been doing anything digital lately. I've gone through 140 sketchbook pages in the past 2 weeks, but unfortunately my scanner doesn't feel like working. This thread definitely hasn't been abandoned and i still plan on updating it a bunch.
As soon as my scanner starts working. Or i make something digitally.

Tonight though im tired as fuck and don't feel artistic in the least.

Response to Mercenary81's Art thread 2008-08-30 01:49:34

Fixed my scanner, but it really annoys me still. The scans always come out a bit strange, and never as good as the real thing, but it's better then taking pictures, right?

I hate to jump on the Joker bandwagon, but my god. . . I'm in love with him. Best supervillain, ever. The bottom left is my favorite, I put the most effort into the very middle one - but the scanner sort of ruined it, you can just ignore the bottom right, and the top right is a bit of a more cartoony representation of him.
The quality isn't so good i don't think, but on other uploaders it's come out decently. If it doesn't come out well I'll try to fix it.

Mercenary81's Art thread

Response to Mercenary81's Art thread 2008-08-30 15:43:28

They look more like cariactures than anything else.

BBS Signature

Response to Mercenary81's Art thread 2008-08-30 22:49:05

At 8/30/08 03:43 PM, Pow3rCrazy wrote: They look more like cariactures than anything else.

I didn't think the features were overly exaggerated, not too much anyway. Isn't that all caricatures are? Could you tell me how to fix this, please?
I wasn't really going for realism, but i wasn't really going for cartoony. I enjoy drawing realism but feel like i lose some of my original flair everytime i do, so i end up slapping my wrists.

Response to Mercenary81's Art thread 2008-08-30 23:05:52

At 8/30/08 01:49 AM, Mercenary81 wrote: Fixed my scanner, but it really annoys me still. The scans always come out a bit strange, and never as good as the real thing, but it's better then taking pictures, right?

I hate to jump on the Joker bandwagon, but my god. . . I'm in love with him. Best supervillain, ever. The bottom left is my favorite, I put the most effort into the very middle one - but the scanner sort of ruined it, you can just ignore the bottom right, and the top right is a bit of a more cartoony representation of him.
The quality isn't so good i don't think, but on other uploaders it's come out decently. If it doesn't come out well I'll try to fix it.

I like the one you started in the bottom right hang corner it was starting to look good you should continue working on that one and getting better at drawing cause I love to see that picture when it is fully complete and so far there looking good you just need to work on them some more

Response to Mercenary81's Art thread 2008-08-31 00:21:45

Well on one pic his mouth looks very out stretched and the jaws on two of the pics just don't look right at all.

BBS Signature

Response to Mercenary81's Art thread 2008-08-31 00:33:57

At 8/31/08 12:21 AM, Pow3rCrazy wrote: Well on one pic his mouth looks very out stretched and the jaws on two of the pics just don't look right at all.

The facial structure is a bit crazy, done on accident. It was really late at night when i was going over the lines with a darker shade, and i really screwed it up. Is that all though?

Response to Mercenary81's Art thread 2008-08-31 00:46:48

toomuch talk not enough art, lets see something new.

Evil spelled backwards is Live and we all want to do that now don't we.

Deny the big lie, don't beLIEve and don't conform.

BBS Signature

Response to Mercenary81's Art thread 2008-09-02 00:06:24

At 8/31/08 12:46 AM, SirSeraphdeFallen wrote: toomuch talk not enough art, lets see something new.

Yes sir.
This is a quick concept i came up with, I might do more with it later

Mercenary81's Art thread

Response to Mercenary81's Art thread 2008-09-02 01:01:42

I just decided, to fill up my thread with some of the pages from my few sketchbooks, just to make it feel more alive. These won't be very nice, honestly. Mainly just some quick sketches that I filled up many pages with. Thes'll be completely random, from my very first sketchbook (not really the first, just the oldest i still have) to my latest one. The quality will most likely jump around a bit.

This be from my first sketchbook.

Mercenary81's Art thread

Response to Mercenary81's Art thread 2008-09-02 01:04:20

One of my first real attempts at realism

Mercenary81's Art thread

Response to Mercenary81's Art thread 2008-09-02 01:05:59

Leave the world with a smile.

Mercenary81's Art thread

Response to Mercenary81's Art thread 2008-09-02 01:06:59

Abraham Lincoln

Mercenary81's Art thread

Response to Mercenary81's Art thread 2008-09-02 01:35:46

Some anatomy practice i was trying to do, I don't think that the measurements are actually correct but it seems to be close. Help with this will be appreciated

Mercenary81's Art thread

Response to Mercenary81's Art thread 2008-09-04 18:53:24

A little background practice

Mercenary81's Art thread

Response to Mercenary81's Art thread 2008-09-04 18:59:12

This about finishes all the old sketches, well, all of them i liked at all. I'll start updating with more quality work soon

Mercenary81's Art thread

Response to Mercenary81's Art thread 2008-09-04 19:04:57

At 9/4/08 06:53 PM, Mercenary81 wrote: A little background practice

if you want a tip, when drawing backgrounds...try and think of something in particular...like a forest, or a desert, a beach or whatever..and draw that... abstract enviroments like this seem kind of sensless otherwise... (curvy lines, jagged lines, curvy lines)... i mean it's good man dont worry

it's just when you want to practice an enviroment, you have to consider many many things at once(mood ambient lighting etc) that everybody needs to always work on...if you REALLY want to improve.

Deviantcrap - PHOTOGRAPHY??

nothing but stardust

BBS Signature

Response to Mercenary81's Art thread 2008-09-04 19:45:27

hi im joe

Mercenary81's Art thread

WHOA WHAT A SPEEDY RESPONSE GET A SIG YOU WUSS

Response to Mercenary81's Art thread 2008-09-04 22:51:24

At 9/4/08 07:04 PM, TomAzza wrote:
At 9/4/08 06:53 PM, Mercenary81 wrote: A little background practice
if you want a tip, when drawing backgrounds...try and think of something in particular...like a forest, or a desert, a beach or whatever..and draw that... abstract enviroments like this seem kind of sensless otherwise... (curvy lines, jagged lines, curvy lines)... i mean it's good man dont worry

it's just when you want to practice an enviroment, you have to consider many many things at once(mood ambient lighting etc) that everybody needs to always work on...if you REALLY want to improve.

Thanks.
I'm not too good at sketching backgrounds, but digitally i can make them pretty well (well I'd say so at least)

I'm not good at keeping multiple things in mind, I really need to work at it. I can put so much effort into one particular thing, such as giving a picture a feeling of dryness or dampness, that i completely ignore putting a lot of emphasis into lighting or anything. else.

My mountains always seem to come out that way, i liked it at first but when you can't seem to make anything but it - it gets old. I have a thread where i posted a bunch of landscapes I made, I got a kick out of them for some reason.

Response to Mercenary81's Art thread 2008-09-04 23:15:48

At 9/4/08 07:45 PM, TheWaffleBoy wrote: hi im joe

If you are going to steal art, at least steal it from someone who isn't a forum regular.

Freedom of Speech: Priceless, for everything else there's MasterCard

BBS Signature

Response to Mercenary81's Art thread 2008-09-19 21:54:18

I said i might do more with that drug picture, i did. I'm loving art class, it's been so long since i updated this i don't remember if i ever mentioned that i did actually get to take it - but in case i didn't, i did.
Sorry i haven't been updating, but i haven't really done anything digital for a while. This was one of the most fun pictures i've ever made.

Mercenary81's Art thread

Response to Mercenary81's Art thread 2008-09-19 21:56:12

At 9/19/08 09:54 PM, Mercenary81 wrote: I said i might do more with that drug picture, i did. I'm loving art class, it's been so long since i updated this i don't remember if i ever mentioned that i did actually get to take it - but in case i didn't, i did.
Sorry i haven't been updating, but i haven't really done anything digital for a while. This was one of the most fun pictures i've ever made.

Oh, and if a moderator would be so kind, would you delete the spam a bit higher up?

Response to Mercenary81's Art thread 2008-09-19 22:15:38

very nicely done

BBS Signature

Response to Mercenary81's Art thread 2008-09-20 15:54:07

Thanks, but it seems no one else thinks so. I was hoping for some real comments on that last one, but so far they don't seem to be coming. I have a few more pictures on the way, but not until the weekends over it looks like

Response to Mercenary81's Art thread 2008-09-20 16:27:10

A bit of misinformation in the last pic. Weed doesn't kill! :P

Response to Mercenary81's Art thread 2008-09-20 17:25:44

At 9/20/08 04:27 PM, Savory wrote: A bit of misinformation in the last pic. Weed doesn't kill! :P

At the top it's supposed to say "Don't let they're wonderful appearances fool you", but i couldn't fit it in to where it didn't ruin the picture