00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

B0ss3 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20

25,521 Views | 269 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 2008-07-14 15:38:10

At 7/14/08 03:24 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Corky52 is a hardcore user and has made some helpful/interesting posts. Some of these include a list of NG clubs he is a part of and a Newgrounds Exercise Program. His latest post outlines some of the guides he has written, as well as his friends and goals here on NG. It was a fun read and kinda inspiring. :)

Holy shit Tom. Thanks for the mentioning. That really means a lot to me. I'm honestly emotionless right now.

Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 2008-07-14 15:39:56

Speaking of friends, for a long time now we've had a completed front-end of a FRIENDS system for NG.

Good idea!

Insert humorous comment about the below user.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Dmabste rProductions

Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 2008-07-14 15:40:09

Yeah that friends can really help point out even more how I don't interact with anyone on this site at all.

Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 2008-07-14 15:40:32

Hmmm, I guess it would be a nice idea. lol corky ;)

Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 2008-07-14 15:40:34

I'm pretty interested in the friends system, but for those users that hate it I'd say:
make it hideable. So a user just can check in his account setting if you can see the friends box or not.

Also, you can make a poll and see how it turns out...

Congrats to the winner (not me again... not even someone I know)

Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 2008-07-14 15:40:40

You know, for a second I thought this was going to be about the new Friends movie, lolzz. It's hard to do anything these days without people pointing and screaming about OMG UR RIPPIN OFF MYSPACE or some other noise, but I mean... social networking is the way to go. This might be pretty nice for moderators, so users know when a mod is lurking the site, and not just the BBS. Although I do feel the influx in PMs could be overwhelming (especially if someone had YOU as their friend, teehee) it could be cool. I mean, we ARE on the site to help, right? (well... most of us ;P)

I do like how you can see when your friend last logged on... now you can no longer hide, buahaha. I'm sure some recluses who like to hide in the shadows might not be a big fan of this, but whatever ;P I know NG recently has received a fair amount of beef for "Myspace2" or wtf ever, but I mean... tons of sites have been using these features... myspace isn't the only one ;P Too bad the 13-year-old-backlash is inevitable. But soon it will just be a part of the site, the whining will stop, and we will all be closer with one another :3

Congrats to Mr-IwishIhadyourmoney, and hello to Corkfaic... sup?

blobstagramblobsite

BBS Signature

Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 2008-07-14 15:40:42

Thats awsome.

Wi/Ht regular|Elite Guard Barracks Member|Idiot-Buster-Elite Guard Sup. Commander

BBS Signature

Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 2008-07-14 15:41:29

When am I going to win?

Also, the friends thing seems like a pointless doodad that I wouldn't mind.

Dicks

BBS Signature

Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 2008-07-14 15:41:54

At 7/14/08 03:28 PM, NG-Unit wrote: A question about the friend system, would it be like, you send a friend request and they have to accept it, or could you just add people to the list without them having to give you some kind of permission or another?

It would be permission-based.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 2008-07-14 15:42:05

At 7/14/08 03:35 PM, Piss wrote: This may give stat enthusiasts more to do.

Haha indeed :D
Like me, though I care more about the experience :D

Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 2008-07-14 15:42:14

Not "MySpace vomit".
"Facebook vomit" for sure, lol.

[PHP: Main]-[AVGN Club]

"You know a dame is classy when she got some jiggle in her assy." - Unknown

BBS Signature

Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 2008-07-14 15:45:49

Ya, I really want this feature.

Today :3

Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 2008-07-14 15:46:06

At 7/14/08 03:40 PM, BlueHippo wrote:
Congrats to Mr-IwishIhadyourmoney, and hello to Corkfaic... sup?

Nothing much man. You getting on AIM anytime soon?

Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 2008-07-14 15:46:28

At 7/14/08 03:34 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: There needs to be two stages of friends, so i can distinguish between people who I am actually friends with and people who i think are worthy of my friendship, people who I post on their blog, etc, etc.

We considered the Friend / Fan thing, where you can be someone's fan and if they reciprocate, you become friends (like Digg, which I THINK still does that)... But then it makes the FAVORITES system feel kinda redundant. Some day we'll get it all optimized for maximum whateverness.

BBS Signature

Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 2008-07-14 15:46:41

Friends list is a great idea, I definitely like the way it looks and all aswell. Though, there will be a bombardment to frind staff members, just to know when they're online / stalk them. Etc...
(I'd be one of them)
:3
/stamper

BBS Signature

Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 2008-07-14 15:47:14

Good to see Corky getting some recognition.

The friends list is OK, personally I couldn't give a flying fuck but I guess it wouldn't be that bad. Overall I would say yes. That would be a decent addition

qwertyuiopasdfghjklzxcvbnm

BBS Signature

Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 2008-07-14 15:48:27

I dont think the 'Online Now' is really necessary, that seems pretty myspacey, but I think it would be a pretty good feature minus the online now.

it helps you remember who's pages you want to check if you've forgotten, and lists are always nice in general :) would these friends have to approve you? or would you just add the name and have them appear instantly?

BBS Signature

Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 2008-07-14 15:49:46

I am against a friends system, yes, its like myspace vomit

But I don't need to be asked to be friended with people I don't give a shit, another stat to be whore, I don't wanna ask someone to be friends and get back "LOLOLOLOL U CAN'T BE ON MAH FRIENDS LIST"

the admins and mods, oooh hooooo they're gonna get so many request

I am against this/=.

Drop Ya Pants and Grind, with M to the C

The Greatest Story Ever Told

BBS Signature

Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 2008-07-14 15:50:30

At 7/14/08 03:35 PM, keatnisher wrote: Add the friends list. It would be a good way to get people to be on here more. Just don't add more and more social (applications? features?) things. add the friends list and the chat, but after that end the social features.

Something people need to keep in mind is that NG was a social / community site LONG before there were many community sites on the web. We had users and forums and chatting years before Friendster and Myspace (and eventually Facebook) came along, so it's not that we want to be more like sites such as Myspace, but we can benefit from some of the social apps we originally hadn't thought of or failed to implement sooner.

Myspace DID NOT invent the Friends list. Friendster didn't invent it either, although they popularized it and Myspace stole the glory.

BBS Signature

Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 2008-07-14 15:51:04

I believe the friends idea is a fantastic one.

Ohh, just thinking of who i would add as my friend makes me excited.

You have to know your name.

LOOP

One day you'll all miss me.

BBS Signature

Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 2008-07-14 15:51:47

I think a friends list would be a great idea!

Please ignore the n00b behind the curtian

BBS Signature

Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 2008-07-14 15:52:01

I think it would be a very nice addition to the site.

(\__/)

(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into

(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination

Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 2008-07-14 15:52:48

i like the idea of a friends list. do it.

Jedermann sein eigner truthahn abendessen.

Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 2008-07-14 15:53:48

At 7/14/08 03:47 PM, solardave wrote: Good to see Corky getting some recognition.

Thanks man.

The friends list is OK, personally I couldn't give a flying fuck but I guess it wouldn't be that bad. Overall I would say yes. That would be a decent addition

I would like seeing a friends list just because it's nice to know if the people that you talk to and everything are online right from your user page without having to check the Forum page every time. It's something I wanted to suggest for a while now, but never got to it.

Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 2008-07-14 15:54:12

It would be a great feature, and I dont think you have to worry about NG becoming Myspace vomit. NG is too good to be like Myspace.

Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 2008-07-14 15:54:17

ALSO

Why do I have to have a statistic to know that I have a friend on NG?

I am friends with lots of NGers I don't think I have to show to everyone in my blog that I have a friend, or how many friends I have, so I can pretend I'm worth something.

Lul my opinion

Drop Ya Pants and Grind, with M to the C

The Greatest Story Ever Told

BBS Signature

Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 2008-07-14 15:55:44

to those who hate the idea of a friends list, just think of it as your flash portal buddies shown public

BBS Signature

Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 2008-07-14 15:55:45

At 7/14/08 03:46 PM, TomFulp wrote: We considered the Friend / Fan thing, where you can be someone's fan and if they reciprocate, you become friends (like Digg, which I THINK still does that)... But then it makes the FAVORITES system feel kinda redundant. Some day we'll get it all optimized for maximum whateverness.

I have a legit question about the favorites (authors).
Is there like a chance that you can get like an update on when your favorite author(s) upload a new flash or collab movie? Something via PM or email.

[PHP: Main]-[AVGN Club]

"You know a dame is classy when she got some jiggle in her assy." - Unknown

BBS Signature

Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 2008-07-14 15:56:41

I think the friend's list would be a cool idea. I think a Friends/Fan System would be excellent (in the future of course) as well so you can see how many fans you have even though you can always check who has you "favorited".

Congrats to the $100 winner. Hope it's well spent. :P

Response to Friends, Bike MS, $100. 15 of 20 2008-07-14 15:56:44

Eh, not going too crazy about the idea Tom.

People already make it clear who their friends are. You'll see people who have lists dedicated to their best chums from Newgrounds. Anyone they don't like is banned. You have a good idea who is friends with who based on the quality of the comment, and the quantity of those comments.

If it's going to be anything like Bebo, then you'll need approval on the Friends List before you can do ANYTHING on that userpage. What if I want to make new friends? For all I know, this Friends List system means that people who I know from the BBS, who want to engage a decent conversation can't do shit.

The advantage is:

+ Spammers and trolls can't leave comments on my page.

Disadvantage:

- People that I have become acquainted with can't leave comments either.

And having to add friends and then trying to tell them to add me is a chore I could do without.

Now, let's assume that it's just the addition of the friends list, and nothing else. People can leave comments freely.

I could bet my life that it's going to lead to more spam, with comments from nobodies and strangers saying "hi add me pls" for attention.

Top artists like JohnnyUtah, Stamper, etc. will face the worst of it, as they have numerous fans who all want to be best buds with their favourite flash author. And will they be accepted? Of course not. More spam ensues:

"WHY WON'T YOU ADD ME JOHNNY"

I can do without it, and I'm pretty sure that artists (not necessarily JohnnyUtah) could do without it too.

Now, there's always the chance that you'll go on regardless, and I'm prepared to accept that, where others won't. But please, reassure us that this isn't going to be a cock up. Tell us how it's going to make Newgrounds better.

///THREE///TWO///ONE///ZERO///

The Chemical Brothers Vs. The Beastie Boys - Intergalactic Dust We Trust

Sig of win courtesy of InsertFunnyUserName.

BBS Signature