00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Forum Lounge

958,173 Views | 17,307 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-12-25 10:51:24

Merry Christmas ya filthy animals.
Had a massive seafood feast last night, got the other one in a few hours.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-12-25 11:00:44

May the Winter Solstice look favorably on all of you.

Even if I am a few days late.

Happy Holidays to the rest of ya.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-12-25 11:13:03

Merry Christmas from the Viet airport readying my flight to Korea then to America.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-12-25 12:38:53

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-12-25 13:06:34

At 12/25/12 01:00 PM, Escalus wrote:
At 12/25/12 12:38 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: Merry Christmas One and All! :)
Nae's heart grew three sizes this day, while mine shrunk to minuscule proportions

well, gotta give a little to get a little and all that jazz.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-12-26 23:55:00

I have a question: For Christmas I got an engraving tool. So if I was to take a photo and make a template out of it and use said template to transfer the image onto a beer stein (effectively tracing with the engraver) would that be frowned upon in the portal? Either way I will post the results in my thread. Just wanted to know.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-12-27 06:13:52

yehaw.jpg

Art Forum Lounge

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-12-27 06:24:30

At 12/27/12 06:13 AM, test-object wrote: yehaw.jpg

lol

World Famous Kasper Lundsfryd Illustrations

nilfisk

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-12-27 07:40:58

At 12/26/12 11:55 PM, MajesticBob wrote: Just wanted to know.

Good question actually. Sadly I do not know the answer Bob. This is the same reason my glass etching work isn't in the portal though. Not much of it is custom work and more like tracing.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-12-27 10:47:45

At 12/27/12 07:40 AM, Kinsei01 wrote:
Good question actually. Sadly I do not know the answer Bob. This is the same reason my glass etching work isn't in the portal though. Not much of it is custom work and more like tracing.

I'm not sure what the answer is either, but I'd really like to see it! You should both post the stuff in your threads! :D

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-12-28 02:11:49

At 12/27/12 07:40 AM, Kinsei01 wrote:

You use the paste right? Well we will have to compare notes and see how the two techniques stack up. Also kinda funny I have such a confusing question.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-12-28 13:10:42

IAt 12/26/12 11:55 PM, MajesticBob wrote:

Stuff.

I'd say it depends on how faithful it is to the photograph. It'll be easier to judge once we see the piece.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-12-28 22:21:07

Children, homework; watch this documentary

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-12-29 21:48:54

Miss you guys.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2012-12-30 09:05:10

man, besides the kiwi sundae nonsense December has been drrrrryyyyyyy

where the fun at

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-01 00:12:56

Happy New Year!

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-01 01:05:36

hapy newyrear iM drank

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-01 02:34:49

At 1/1/13 01:05 AM, Captain-Carrion wrote: hapy newyrear iM drank

hallo drank, iM overdse

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-01 02:35:53

Happy new year to all of us.
May the next year be filled with the return of old friends, the greetings of new friends, The moving on from loves lost and the romance of new loves.
Our pencils never falter and our pen never run dry. To no program crashing, freezes or files lost. And may we all grind our skills to new heights so we may stand proud at the next years end so we can wish for the same thing the year after that and the year after that until we can no longer hold our pencils, click out mice, clack on our keyboards and read the words typed on our screens.
Happy new year to all. Let us all have another great year togethert.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-01 05:15:38

Happy New Year fellow regs! May this year bring forth a prosperous volume of beautiful art to our forum.

Maybe I can stay out of the shadows this time.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-01 07:08:55

At 1/1/13 06:33 AM, Amaranthus wrote:
At 12/29/12 09:59 PM, Escalus wrote:
At 12/29/12 09:48 PM, Captain-Carrion wrote: Miss you guys.
We miss you too
R.I.P. Escalus.

what happened to escalus?

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-01 08:20:46

At 1/1/13 07:08 AM, M-Maher wrote: what happened to escalus?

Nothing, she decided to take a break from NG for an unknown period of time.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-01 08:24:36

Miss you guys.. merry New Year!

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-01 08:31:44

merry new happy easter day!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-01 20:41:39

happy new year everyone, hope ill be around more this year, im starting to miss you guys :(

You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-01 21:03:40

Incoming: Wall de la Text

I stumbled upon this thread and I noticed something.:
I don't think I like how people are giving the same advice with the "basic shape" stuff. It's not the 'one true religion', yaknow? It's fine if people wanna do stuff like LegoâEUTMs of course, awesome, Lego makes drop-dead gorgeous stuff and he's fine in giving his insight, but I do think we need more variation and not just more coke light versions of that.

I've been sorta thinking how 'drawing advice' is ultimately pointless. It's more often than not the thinking that needs changing. This guy really seems to be on a right track for a kid. Why tell him 'how to draw' when all he needs to do is draw more of something? Now, if a guy comes by drawing nothing but pokémon traces that's where people SHOULD start critiquing. Tell him to let the child speak, that there's a bigger creative world than that.

LetâEUTMs take this drawing for example. In my opinion, this could be a fine core drawing. The proportions aren't right and sheâEUTMs missing a foot, but am I the only one who noticed her hand looks really cool? ItâEUTMs all broken up and twisted. Imagine an entire drawing like that. This kid possibly has this in him, but all that character/expression got lost in IdiotequeâEUTMs âEUoereworkingâEU.

Maybe heâEUTMs not purposely looking for a stylized look yet, but I think thatâEUTMs what we should teach him, instead of telling him how to draw âEUoecorrectlyâEU. The blocks-wires basic shape nonsense seems like a relic of something many of us truthfully never even used. Gumby said it best when he asked if the best tip would be something like "I like what you did on this and this image, make more of that!". Small things that catch our eyes are so much more appealing.

IâEUTMm trying to not make this sound like IâEUTMm excusing âEUoeitâEUTMs my styleâEU-buggery. I donâEUTMt. These people simply donâEUTMt want to change anything, no matter if itâEUTMs technically good or not and are stupid. That's where we step in again. We tell them itâEUTMs not different anymore, not eyecatching, not cute, special or odd and they needs to try a different approach.

Lastly, after lego's advice, he drew this: this.
and InsertFunnyUserName said: "You're improving". YouâEUTMre right, he is, but not in the way Insert meant it. He's experimenting with a different approach. Now we want him to experiment more and more until he combines and finds one he's definitely comfortable with. LetâEUTMs not all suck up to one drawing style and tell him itâEUTMs what he HAS to keep on doing in order to be good.

Anyway, this IS the Lounge, whatâEUTMs your thoughts.

This was basically a reworking of a convo I had in the Lounge, if the structure seems a bit off, you now know why.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-01 21:06:20

and because I fail at Word I mislinked Idioteque's reworking and the drawing after Lego's advice. They're all in the thread themselves tho, so maybe just scroll through that.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-01 21:27:18

Hmm.. had I known this was the general consensus I would have ignored their art thread. I thought we were sharing suggestions and such for whomever asked for it?

At 1/1/13 09:06 PM, test-object wrote: and because I fail at Word I mislinked Idioteque's reworking and the drawing after Lego's advice. They're all in the thread themselves tho, so maybe just scroll through that.

| Art n' animation Tumblr | R&S comic Tumblr | Follow for LIVE streams Twitter | Animation CH YouTube |

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-01 21:46:20

At 1/1/13 09:27 PM, maficmelody wrote: Hmm.. had I known this was the general consensus I would have ignored their art thread. I thought we were sharing suggestions and such for whomever asked for it?

Not general consensus as much as a new viewpoint, or what should be the general consensus.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2013-01-01 22:04:54

At 1/1/13 09:03 PM, test-object wrote: Anyway, this IS the Lounge, whatâEUTMs your thoughts.
This was basically a reworking of a convo I had in the Lounge, if the structure seems a bit off, you now know why.

I think there should be core fundamentals at the root of all drawings, but people should feel free to draw in their own manner and style. If there is something that works for them, they should keep at it, whether or not it abides by traditional laws.

Also, something about that idioteque guy rubs me the wrong way