00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Forum Lounge

958,009 Views | 17,307 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-29 12:56:45

At 11/29/10 12:45 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Well, there are loads of different processes when it comes to creating an original character.
Besides, just look at the Art Forum Battle Royale thread. Everyone that's participated in that thread has made an original character, even you gumby.

Yeah but it would defeat the point of an art trade if someone were to draw a character that I had to quickly think up so that someone else could redraw it.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-29 12:57:38

At 11/29/10 12:45 PM, J-qb wrote: Instead of characters, I suggest just redrawing a particular drawing by the other author in your own style. Ill try to wip up a thread tomorrow; just need to make a starter image ;)

Sounds like the best idea.
Would there also be a quality control on it? just so that no one works hard on theirs only to get a crappy mspaint scribble in return

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-29 13:14:00

At 11/29/10 12:57 PM, Batto wrote:
At 11/29/10 12:45 PM, J-qb wrote: Instead of characters, I suggest just redrawing a particular drawing by the other author in your own style. Ill try to wip up a thread tomorrow; just need to make a starter image ;)
Sounds like the best idea.
Would there also be a quality control on it? just so that no one works hard on theirs only to get a crappy mspaint scribble in return

well, I think poeple should just be allowed to pick their own partners, Poeple mention that they are available in the thread, then someone else can take their offer. which the original artist can then decline.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-29 13:25:27

At 11/29/10 01:14 PM, J-qb wrote: well, I think poeple should just be allowed to pick their own partners, Poeple mention that they are available in the thread, then someone else can take their offer. which the original artist can then decline.

sounds like a good idea
so we would post our image of what we want drawing and say something like "I'm up for an art trade" then? Obviously people might like to see what sort of stuff people can do, but they could probably just look at the poster's user gallery

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-29 14:08:18

Wow, I am a progenitor to a thread (kinda). Awesome ;P

As for characters, they are easy to make, I think. My characters are usually parts of my personality blown up and exaggerated. Like East (the guy with the backwards "E" on his beanie) is me in a good mood, my naive-ness and generally childishness. Goggles (the mohawk guy) is my more serious, ambitious and somewhat conceited side, Pierrot is my quixotic side, my bear is how people see me on way but my personality is a different way.

I think making characters analogs for yourself or how you perceive the world works, or make them to serve a purpose in a story.

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-29 14:24:38

At 11/29/10 01:25 PM, Batto wrote: so we would post our image of what we want drawing and say something like "I'm up for an art trade" then? Obviously people might like to see what sort of stuff people can do, but they could probably just look at the poster's user gallery

I think it should be up to the artist, which picture or character he does. You could mention it if you would like a certain one done though.

Anyone else has some cents before I start the thread?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-29 14:33:18

At 11/29/10 02:24 PM, J-qb wrote: Anyone else has some cents before I start the thread?

I think you've got the bare bones for it, already.

If I compare it to Doubles, I think the toughest area is actually working out an idea of what you both want to do.
So maybe a post may require:
a) Participation ("Yeah I'll do it")
b i) Ideas, but be as free and unrestricted as possible ("I wanna draw some with an Egyptian vibe, or a Dinosaur fight scene with somebody)
b ii) Alternatively, they could post their half-finished pic and ask somebody to paint it for them. (sounds familiar ... )
c) Offer up what role they want to do ("I'll do the linework, if someone paints for me")

And, as people have said, it'd work better if people checked out previous art portal submissions.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-29 14:48:44

At 11/29/10 02:33 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
At 11/29/10 02:24 PM, J-qb wrote: Anyone else has some cents before I start the thread?
I think you've got the bare bones for it, already.

If I compare it to Doubles, I think the toughest area is actually working out an idea of what you both want to do.
So maybe a post may require:

Actually we were talking about where you draw each others characters/art.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-29 14:49:11

Sound like a mash-up between the art collaboration thread, doubles, and I'll draw your character - MY style threads.

Sweet!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-29 14:54:21

At 11/29/10 02:48 PM, J-qb wrote: Actually we were talking about where you draw each others characters/art.

Just make the thread already. Lol.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-29 16:33:49

At 11/29/10 02:08 PM, Knocturne wrote: As for characters, they are easy to make, I think. My characters are usually parts of my personality blown up and exaggerated. Like East (the guy with the backwards "E" on his beanie) is me in a good mood, my naive-ness and generally childishness. Goggles (the mohawk guy) is my more serious, ambitious and somewhat conceited side, Pierrot is my quixotic side, my bear is how people see me on way but my personality is a different way.

I think making characters analogs for yourself or how you perceive the world works, or make them to serve a purpose in a story.

Oh well I can see the way you summarize the idea of a character is not all that complicated if you try looking at such terms in forms of personal identification and surely how it's going to be viewed by somebody else's eyes is going to be different to see. I suppose that most characters in the beginning start pretty slowly and become detailed as the time goes on with them but How fleshed out and real would they need to be in order for them to considered just Raw.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-29 21:11:48

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-29 22:43:27

At 11/29/10 09:11 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Anyone wanna throw me some support? Or a 5?
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/55 4967

I voted 0.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-29 22:55:27

At 11/29/10 10:43 PM, CloudEater wrote: I voted 0.

I TRUSTED YOU!!!!!
*runs away crying*

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-30 00:03:43

At 11/29/10 10:55 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote:
At 11/29/10 10:43 PM, CloudEater wrote: I voted 0.
I TRUSTED YOU!!!!!
*runs away crying*

4.07 You ought to be proud to have that score.

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-30 10:05:27

At 11/30/10 04:03 AM, Zombie-Eskimo wrote: My ban is off now cool.
Just here to say..........i diddnt learn my lesson here's sum meat spin
you wanna press it.....just to see if im fukin with ya.

What's funny is that when you however over the link you can see what page it opens.....

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-30 12:20:38

RHUNYC made a t-shirt... link

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-30 12:24:46

At 11/30/10 10:05 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: What's funny is that when you however over the link you can see what page it opens.....

Weird, whenever I HOWEVER over a link I....

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-30 13:11:16

Congrats to threadwood for being randomly selected as the User of the Day!

Art Forum Lounge

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-30 13:29:58

At 11/30/10 12:24 PM, ornery wrote:
At 11/30/10 10:05 AM, big-jonny-13 wrote: What's funny is that when you however over the link you can see what page it opens.....
Weird, whenever I HOWEVER over a link I....

Really? When I HOWEVER over a link, my computer says "BZZT BZZT BZZT, learn to spell". But usually I have my computer muted in the morning so I don't realize I typed "however" instead of "hover".

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-30 15:12:29

At 11/30/10 01:27 PM, Zombie-Eskimo wrote: Photoshop

Well, when I started using photoshop, I tended to grab a few of my photographs and mess around with all kinds of adjustments and tools.
I'd take a normal photo and attempt to make it appear warmer by going trough all menus and testing out tools on trial and error, and I found I've learnt a lot doing just that.

I also strongly recommend this page for anyone wanting to learn cool stuff in photoshop. Even if you feel it's not directly related to what you're after while drawing, it might just turn out helpful later on.

I've got to say though, the key things are to have a slight overview of using masks, image adjustments, and layer blending options. At least, these are the ones that has been the most helpful for me.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-30 15:22:21

At 11/29/10 09:11 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: Anyone wanna throw me some support? Or a 5?
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/55 4967

Congrats on daily feature and frontpage to our very own Art Forum Ninja and MasaAndMune!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-30 19:09:31

So, I was just curious.

A. What would you classify your style of art?
B. Top Five inspirations?
C. How long have you been doing art?
D. Has your style changed completely since then? If yes, what was it before?

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-30 19:21:08

At 11/30/10 07:09 PM, Knocturne wrote: So, I was just curious.

Surrealism, I suppose.

Greg Simkins
Need I even explain? Look through his work; he is EXTREMELY talented, and has the imagination of the gods. Simkins is the man who got me into art.
Hoshino Katsura
Yeah, I know, it's manga, but it's also got just about the strongest art in the entire manga industry, with delicious dark fantasy aspects to it.
McBess
Extremely strong style, wonderfully creative subject matter, and just an overall awesome approach to art.
Moki Mioke
Much like Simkins, she's simply a super talented genius.
Jen Wang
Style. This is the kind of style I want to have.

Started drawing more than just little doodles in eighth grade, so I've been at it for three years or so.

Yeah, it has. It was super-dark, abstract-ish stuff back then. Whereas most people seem to start out in cartoons, anime, or realism, I feel like I'm one of very few who started out in making just plain odd stuff. Still has some of that flavor, but it's been becoming less and less dark as time has progressed.

My Art Thread.

Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-30 21:01:11

Erhm..... you tell me. I like to try a lot of different styles.

Hard to say, I think: Picasso, frank miller Keith haring, perhaps some giaccometti... laserkarl his work has also been a big influence on some of my stuff.

As an actual hobby just the last two years.

As I like to try different styles, thats a bit hard to say. I think that overall, my stuff has gotten a bit more abstract rather than realistic or cartoony.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-30 21:30:33

To answer my own little questionnaire

Uh cartoony

Range Murata, Alex Ross, Shigenori Soejima and Jamie Hewlett

C. How long have you been doing art? I've been doodling for about 10 years, but it wasn't til High School that I started trying to develop a style and do things that had real meaning to me (example of art from five years ago included below).

At first, I only drew animals, mostly whales and it was child-like realism if you understand what I mean by that. Then it was straight anime up til the end of highschool (2007) where I decided to do something more original and unique to what I like and not limit myself (still working on it).

The drawing I'm putting up for you to laugh at is about one inch tall on a standard sheet of paper and is teh lulz.

Art Forum Lounge

Who is the hunter?

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-30 22:31:55

The more you know: Site downtime

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-30 22:39:33

AND I QUOTE:
"NG will be down tomorrow morning (Eastern Time) for maybe an un-known amount of time (it could be 20 minutes, it could be a few hours).

Just a heads up so you don't all try offing someone whilst you're waiting.

Ok, bai."

That was very uninformative.
Its in the morning... Thats a 12 hour window, okay.
And we don't know how ling it will be down. Ah, alright, thanks! So helpful.
Whatevs.

Stickam Nae! Please? :3

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-30 22:45:40

Cartoons/comics

-Jhonen Vasquez
-Jamie Hewlett
-Jon Burgerman
-Ashley Wood
and very recently
-Andy Ristaino

Ever since I could pick up a pencil but I really didn't get very into art until about 2 years ago.

Well, it has changed a lot since back then, I now fully ink my pictures and I add a lot more detail than I did before.
Let's just say that before...it wasn't...good.

"Make art, not war." - Shepard Fairey

BBS Signature

Response to Art Forum Lounge 2010-11-30 23:58:51

hmm...
Neo-expressionist?

If it's limited to artists (and artist/writers), I'd say:
Edvard Munch, Egon Schiele, Hirohiko Araki, Otomo Katsuhiro, Sam Kieth

Longer than I can remember.

Yes, when I was a kid I wanted to emulate comic book artists but later I identified more with modern art, expressionism, impressionism and experimentation.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature