00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

horndogg60 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Lego Voltron

2,856 Views | 12 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Lego Voltron 2007-07-24 06:02:56

I'm not sure if this quite fits the topic of this forum section, but I consider this to be art, so, here goes.

This project that I've recently completed combines two of my favorite things from childhood. I'm extremely proud of it, so I'd like to show it off as my first thread on the NG forums (I've been an NG viewer for quite some time, but only ventured into these parts thanks to the HD Sprite contest).

I'm trying to follow the rules by posting this introductory image, but there are so many more images to view, that I'd like to invite everyone to click here to go to the pages I've set up for the rest of the images. (Yes, that's a GeoCities account, but I'm paying for the removal of the ads, so there won't be that stupid little pop-up if you go.)

Anyways, without further ado:

Lego Voltron

BBS Signature

Response to Lego Voltron 2007-07-24 06:05:23

Sheesh. No post editing?

Well, sorry for the double post, but I screwed up the URL in the link above.

The correct page is here.

BBS Signature

Response to Lego Voltron 2007-07-24 06:20:27

It rules, what did you make the face of though.. looks like.. clay??

Do You Want To Hear My Legend?

My Legend Started In The 12th Century..

BBS Signature

Response to Lego Voltron 2007-07-24 06:29:36

Thanks!

And yup, the face is molded out of Sculpey III polymer clay (the kind that hardens in the oven). I just didn't think I could get the right level of detail if I tried to "mold" the face out of Lego, so I "cheated" a bit there.

BBS Signature

Response to Lego Voltron 2007-07-24 09:17:34

thats absolutily exellent. you did an amazing job. and the fact that it can transform is astounding.

Response to Lego Voltron 2007-07-24 09:34:07

thats..actualy realy good :o

WHERE'S THE DIX?

Response to Lego Voltron 2007-07-24 09:39:46

At 7/24/07 09:17 AM, MindChamber wrote: thats absolutily exellent. you did an amazing job. and the fact that it can transform is astounding.

O-o It is transforming? I saw the pics, but didn't knew they were part of it.
Make a video of you transforming it! I would love seeing it...

BBS Signature

Response to Lego Voltron 2007-07-24 09:46:15

Haha quality job. :) Rather impressed by your patience with Lego

BBS Signature

Response to Lego Voltron 2007-07-24 18:21:48

Yup, it's all fully functioning (even the individual lions' mouths open and close). That was my number one priority (a very close second being that it looked correct), so the lions each transform just as in the show. All connections are handled by technic pins and such as well, so I don't have to connect bricks to snap him together.

This also means that he has a certain level of articulation (his arms can rotate at the shoulders, his elbows bend, his wrists turn, and his hips can move, but not his knees yet) However, the thing is actually too heavy (somewhere over 5 pounds total) for the joints to support themselves in any position other than the standing one shown. If I ever find a suitably strong Lego joint that can move, I'll have to upgrade him.

He's been a labor of love for a few years now, actually. I began the project back when Lego first started putting green bircks in the bulk buckets (before then, green was usually reserved for only trees and baseplates and such) He used to look like this, but I recently gave him the overhaul that resulted in what you've seen above. I actually had to special order a handful of parts from an online Lego seller to complete him this time.

I'm glad you guys approve!

BBS Signature

Response to Lego Voltron 2007-07-24 20:38:16

lol... great piece of work you got here! You don't see stuff like this everyday. :D

And omg... I can't believe that this thing is even able to transform! Kudos to you, sir.

Response to Lego Voltron 2007-07-24 21:27:38

That is fucking sexy. Amazing level of detail and dedication. Kudos to you.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Lego Voltron 2007-07-24 21:42:03

They actually transform!? Holy crap! They look amazing and they transform! Wow, you are amazing. Great job.

Response to Lego Voltron 2020-10-24 15:26:47

There is actually an official Lego Voltron set based off of the Original Voltron show, you get to build all five lions and they can combine to form Voltron The Defender of The Universe. it is perfect set