00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jaymerk just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Blamming 2003-06-02 23:39:34

Here's my question, I voted protect on a movie...and my vote blammed it...do I get the blam point for it because I blammed it, or did the vote of 2 screw me out of it? Anyone know?

You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator

The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature

Response to Blamming 2003-06-03 01:02:21

At 6/2/03 11:39 PM, aviewaskewed wrote: Here's my question, I voted protect on a movie...and my vote blammed it...do I get the blam point for it because I blammed it, or did the vote of 2 screw me out of it? Anyone know?

When you see the blam animation, you ALWAYS get the point. Don't ask me why a 5 vote can get a blam credit, but I guess in a way it's true: your vote wasn't enough to get it over 1.6, so you "helped" blam it. #;-}>

So yes, actually, the best thing to do with movies you're not sure of what you should give them... is wait till they've got a bit over 100 views and/or are red on the portal, and vote 2 or above. If they're protected, you win! If you get the final vote and they're blammed, you win! If you miss out on the vote... oh well. #;-}>

Note: I personally haven't tried that method except by accident. #;-}>

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // defunct PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Cyberdevil's HexaList!

a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature

Response to Blamming 2003-06-03 02:38:04

yeah what the guy before said.

You lost your way and now you find you gave up your life you surrender your mind you arent who you wanted to be your just a reflection of society

Response to Blamming 2003-06-03 15:23:08

At 6/3/03 01:02 AM, gfoxcook wrote:
When you see the blam animation, you ALWAYS get the point. Don't ask me why a 5 vote can get a blam credit, but I guess in a way it's true: your vote wasn't enough to get it over 1.6, so you "helped" blam it. #;-}>

Actually, when its red, there is a 99% chance of getting blammed so you should vote 0 or 1.

Response to Blamming 2003-06-03 15:26:32

Well according to the rules your only suposed to get a blam point if you vote 0 or 1 on it. Before the current system you could Blam a movie by voting 0-5 on a movie, but you had to be the correct voter. I havn't accually blammed a movie with anythign higher than a 1 so I can't say from experince. I guess the only way to know your number of blams before hand vote 2 blam the movie and see iff your score goes up.

Response to Blamming 2003-06-03 15:40:33

At 6/3/03 03:23 PM, zqcebtmulo1 wrote:
At 6/3/03 01:02 AM, gfoxcook wrote:
Actually, when its red, there is a 99% chance of getting blammed so you should vote 0 or 1.

No there isn't. I've seen red flashes get saved.

Besides, my point was that if you vote 2, 3, 4, or 5 and you ARE the vote that blams it (even if you tried to protect), you get the blam anyway! So why not be safe? (you'll get one point either way, in other words).

In any event, this was for flashes you weren't sure on whether you should protect or blam. Not for ones which are obvious blams.

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // defunct PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Cyberdevil's HexaList!

BBS Signature

Response to Blamming 2003-06-03 15:47:07

At 6/3/03 03:40 PM, gfoxcook wrote: Besides, my point was that if you vote 2, 3, 4, or 5 and you ARE the vote that blams it (even if you tried to protect), you get the blam anyway! So why not be safe? (you'll get one point either way, in other words).

Actually it's much safer to blam a red entry than to save and hope your vote is the one that gets the blam, which is 25% chance at best. Also, although there can be red entries saved, its extremely rare. I've only seen 2.

Response to Blamming 2003-06-03 17:20:05

At 6/3/03 03:40 PM, gfoxcook wrote: Besides, my point was that if you vote 2, 3, 4, or 5 and you ARE the vote that blams it (even if you tried to protect), you get the blam anyway! So why not be safe? (you'll get one point either way, in other words).

Are you sure about that? I voted 2 on a movie that I wasn't sure if I liked or not, only brought it up to 1.48, which wasn't enough and my vote blammed it. And I DIDN'T get a blam point for it. I think they got rid of the "blamming vote" thing getting you a point. Now it is just "vote 2,3,4 or 5 and it survives, get a protect" "vote 0 or 1 and it is blammed, get a blam"

If you give it a 2-5, and your vote BLAMS it, I don't think it counts as a blam, it records your vote as a save, and since it wasn't saved, you get no points.

The point is... Don't lose your dinosaur.

BBS Signature

Response to Blamming 2003-06-03 17:28:01

I think TheJoe is right, form everything I know about this suystem I do not think you get a point if you vote 2-5 and blam it now.

Response to Blamming 2003-06-03 18:02:11

At 6/3/03 05:20 PM, TheJoe324 wrote:
Are you sure about that? I voted 2 on a movie that I wasn't sure if I liked or not, only brought it up to 1.48, which wasn't enough and my vote blammed it. And I DIDN'T get a blam point for it. I think they got rid of the "blamming vote" thing getting you a point. Now it is just "vote 2,3,4 or 5 and it survives, get a protect" "vote 0 or 1 and it is blammed, get a blam"

If you give it a 2-5, and your vote BLAMS it, I don't think it counts as a blam, it records your vote as a save, and since it wasn't saved, you get no points.
At 6/3/03 05:28 PM, ramagi wrote: I think TheJoe is right, form everything I know about this suystem I do not think you get a point if you vote 2-5 and blam it now.

Sorry, but you're both wrong, unless liljim or Wade or whoever changed it in the past 2 or 3 days, it still works that way.

I think it was Friday, or maybe Saturday, that I, upon coming to the portal (i.e. I hadn't been voting for awhile, so there was NO way I could have just gotten a point from some other movie), with my profile open as always, I voted 2 or 3 on a movie, it blammed, I took a screenshot (as I always do when I get the blam movie or the savior message), and then I refreshed my profile to check for the blam, and it was there, as always.

Not once have I failed to get a blam point for trying to protect a movie on the 100th vote.

All I can think of, Joe, is that either you missed out on the point because of a glitch (sometimes points clear much much later, as liljim has revealed, due to the portal system failing to credit them at the time), or... you hadn't JUST looked at your profile, or something. I dunno what to tell you. Maybe my account is just special, but I doubt I'm the only one who still gets blam points for protect attempts on the final vote. #;-}>

BBS Signature

Response to Blamming 2003-06-03 18:05:21

At 6/3/03 03:47 PM, zqcebtmulo1 wrote: Actually it's much safer to blam a red entry than to save and hope your vote is the one that gets the blam, which is 25% chance at best.

Yes, it is. If you watched it and and it's crap. I was talking about the situation where the movie is middling, and you're not sure which way to go on it. If it prolly doesn't deserve a blam, then try to protect it, but if it does get blammed on your vote, you'll get the point anyway but it won't be your fault. That's they way I look at it, at least.

Also, although there can be red entries saved, its extremely rare. I've only seen 2.

And you have around 500 points. I have around 9000, and I've seen it happen many more times than 2.

I didn't say it wasn't rare, I just said it wasn't a 99% blam situation. More like 90-95%.

BBS Signature

Response to Blamming 2003-06-03 22:55:16

At 6/3/03 06:02 PM, gfoxcook wrote: All I can think of, Joe, is that either you missed out on the point because of a glitch (sometimes points clear much much later, as liljim has revealed, due to the portal system failing to credit them at the time), or... you hadn't JUST looked at your profile, or something. I dunno what to tell you. Maybe my account is just special, but I doubt I'm the only one who still gets blam points for protect attempts on the final vote. #;-}>

I know the amount I had before, I just refreshed my profile because I was trying to calculate how much I needed until I passed the next person. I saw a movie, didn't think it was that bad, gave it a 2, my vote blammed it, I checked my profile again, and I didn't get the point. (It also helped because this was at 7 am or so, and not many movies were being submitted.) I refreshed my profile 20 minutes later and still, no point.

The point is... Don't lose your dinosaur.

BBS Signature

Response to Blamming 2003-06-04 08:06:22

At 6/3/03 10:55 PM, TheJoe324 wrote: I know the amount I had before, I just refreshed my profile because I was trying to calculate how much I needed until I passed the next person. I saw a movie, didn't think it was that bad, gave it a 2, my vote blammed it, I checked my profile again, and I didn't get the point. (It also helped because this was at 7 am or so, and not many movies were being submitted.) I refreshed my profile 20 minutes later and still, no point.

Then either your vote was lost by the system (doh), it was a "no blam points on the final vote protect attempt!" day that randomly occurs, or, as I suggested, I am the only person for whom these points are still attainable. #;-}>

BBS Signature

Response to Blamming 2003-06-04 12:25:54

As I said I'm note ure It has not heppend fopr me, maybe it will give me something to try out some time.

Response to Blamming 2003-06-04 20:36:05

At 6/3/03 01:02 AM, gfoxcook wrote: When you see the blam animation, you ALWAYS get the point.

That's incorrect - there was a minor bug in the past that allowed this to happen, but it has been long since cleared up. If the deciding vote blams the movie, the blam is only attributed to the person who gets the animation if the vote they cast is <= 1.

Response to Blamming 2003-06-04 21:16:21

At 6/4/03 08:36 PM, liljim wrote:
At 6/3/03 01:02 AM, gfoxcook wrote: When you see the blam animation, you ALWAYS get the point.
That's incorrect - there was a minor bug in the past that allowed this to happen, but it has been long since cleared up. If the deciding vote blams the movie, the blam is only attributed to the person who gets the animation if the vote they cast is <= 1.

Like I said, my account's special. But anyway, you're probably right... so please don't check it and then change my account's special status. #;-}>

Seriously, though, I was credited with a blam RIGHT after the blam movie played, within this past week. You sure it's fixed?

If it is, one of those uncredited blams you've mentioned cleared for me and was finally credited, after 12 hours or more of me not voting on anything, JUST as I tried to protect a movie that was blammed on my vote.

And I find that a bit of a hard coincidence to swallow.

But stranger things have happened. Ah well. I'll let you know if it happens again. It's happened at least twice in the past month (though the other time, I was getting points left and right, so I can't be positive, like I am about the time a few days ago).

BBS Signature

Response to Blamming 2003-06-05 15:48:32

At 6/3/03 02:38 AM, WastedRat wrote: yeah what the guy before said.

damn i hope you and zqcebtmulo1 will stop spamming here =(

Response to Blamming 2003-06-05 15:57:36

At 6/5/03 03:48 PM, _lightning_ wrote:
At 6/3/03 02:38 AM, WastedRat wrote: yeah what the guy before said.
damn i hope you and zqcebtmulo1 will stop spamming here =(

At least I sometimes offer explanations to stuff. I saw your profile and your last 30 posts were all worthless crap and spam. Get your damn facts straight and stop acting like a moron. I would have expected more from a level 14.

Response to Blamming 2003-06-05 16:09:15

At 6/5/03 03:57 PM, zqcebtmulo1 wrote: At least I sometimes offer explanations to stuff. I saw your profile and your last 30 posts were all worthless crap and spam. Get your damn facts straight and stop acting like a moron. I would have expected more from a level 14.

sorry but i have never ever seen you helping some one here

Response to Blamming 2003-06-05 16:18:56

look like liljim cleared the mystery up for us

Response to Blamming 2003-06-05 19:05:48

At 6/4/03 09:16 PM, gfoxcook wrote: You sure it's fixed?

Positive. The blams/protects you speak of were most likely ones that had been previously uncredited and had been rewarded as a result of db routines I have running/or routines I was working on and ran at the time you checked your profile (pure coincidence).