00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

snoozerzz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Suggestion: Legalize all drugs

7,807 Views | 120 Replies

Response to Suggestion: Legalize all drugs 2007-04-09 19:52:02

At 4/9/07 07:26 PM, Elfer wrote:

That's fine. That's police protecting people from each other, which is what they're supposed to be doing. But we can stop throwing money down the rat hole

So we are throwing money money down the drain now, because we use it to keep druggies off the street? But we won't be throwing money down the drain to keep druggies off the streets once drugs are legalized.

I love that logic.

The thing about gangs is, they operate in an opportunistic fashion.

So by stimulating drug trafficking, gangs are operating in an opportunistic fashion?

Again, nice logic.

:They don't require a certain amount of money to operate, they're just out to get as much money as they can. If we take away drugs from those sources of money, it's just something they don't have any more. There's no real way for them to significantly increase their revenue from other sources, since they're already doing all they can

What I'm saying is, you can't fight over drug revenue if there's no drug revenue to fight over. And currently, the drug revenue out there is so lucrative that gangs will actively try to fight to gain control of territory, because there's a lot of money to be had for the effort.

No, I said they will resort to other options. Other violent options.

:The same isn't true with prostitution, because there's not as much money in it.

Really?

The result is more likely to be less kids getting pulled into gangs as a result of them trying to make money off of drugs. They'll just have to get a real job or sell illegal firearms or something.

So, by your standards, selling firearms is much safer.

Another time that violent crime will be reduced is after big drug busts. Once the sentences are handed down and the ringleader is locked in jail forever, the people who were working directly under him generally get their people to fight it out in the streets to see who gets control of the business. If there's no more big drug busts, there's no vacuum of power to be filled.

So, they will suddenly accept the fact that they are racking in less money.

Question: have you ever heard about the Aryian Brotherhood? I don't really think that this massive gang will accept that fact, especially since they are psychotic nazis whose whole organization depends greatly on drug trafficking.

We arent' talking about accepting individuals.

However, if we take alcohol prohibition as an example, we do see a great deal of parallels. It didn't stop the production, distribution, or use of alcohol, and it produced a lot of violent crime, just like with drug prohibition. Then when alcohol prohibition ended, there was no more money to be had in it, so the crime rates dropped off. If you look at this page, you can see that the homicide rate dropped off quickly right after the end of prohibition (last graph on the page).

Um, don't you realize that things stabilized once things returned to way they once were--before the prohibition. It's not the removal of prohibition you are talking about. It's the return to way things were.

The reason for this is that there was no more profit motive for prohibition-related violent crimes.

This isn't some big crazy reaching jump, it's a logical result. You can't stop consensual acts by letting the criminals make all of the money off of them, but you can stop a lot of crime by taking away the motive.

The same was said about the prohibition.

Response to Suggestion: Legalize all drugs 2007-04-09 21:07:46

At 4/9/07 07:52 PM, bob-the-ripper wrote: So we are throwing money money down the drain now, because we use it to keep druggies off the street? But we won't be throwing money down the drain to keep druggies off the streets once drugs are legalized.

I love that logic.

But we're NOT keeping druggies off the streets. They're still there, they're still everywhere because you can't get rid of consensual behaviour by threatening punishment. You can only get rid of it through education and treatment.

So by stimulating drug trafficking, gangs are operating in an opportunistic fashion?

Again, nice logic.

Gangs don't stimulate drug trafficking, drug users stimulate drug trafficking by creating a demand for it. Gangs simply provide the drug trafficking, because there's the opportunity to make money in it. Since there's an opportunity to make money in drugs, there's an opportunity to make money by joining a gang.

What I'm saying is, you can't fight over drug revenue if there's no drug revenue to fight over. And currently, the drug revenue out there is so lucrative that gangs will actively try to fight to gain control of territory, because there's a lot of money to be had for the effort.
No, I said they will resort to other options. Other violent options.

Right, but the thing about that is that if they start using violent crime itself as the main source of their revenue, it'll get stomped out a lot faster. First, fewer people are willing to rob or extort people for money, because if you do that, the victim goes to the police right away. With drug dealing, it's a lot less dangerous, because there's no victim involved, and not nearly as many people to turn you in. This is why dealers are so omnipresent.

If gangs could be making more money than they already are, what makes you think they wouldn't be doing it? If gangs weren't already willing to resort to violent methods to get money, the area would be taken over by gangs willing to use violence.

The same isn't true with prostitution, because there's not as much money in it.
Really?

Well, not here, anyway. Maybe you could find a place somewhere that prostitution is more lucrative, but there's just not as much demand as there is for drugs.

The result is more likely to be less kids getting pulled into gangs as a result of them trying to make money off of drugs. They'll just have to get a real job or sell illegal firearms or something.
So, by your standards, selling firearms is much safer.

No actually, that one was just a joke. Selling firearms, again there's less demand and it's a lot harder to get in to.

So, they will suddenly accept the fact that they are racking in less money.

Question: have you ever heard about the Aryian Brotherhood? I don't really think that this massive gang will accept that fact, especially since they are psychotic nazis whose whole organization depends greatly on drug trafficking.

We arent' talking about accepting individuals.

It's not a case of accepting or not accepting something, it's a case of facing reality. There's no way for them to pull more money out of thin air if the drug revenue dries up. They'll have to compensate by cutting the fat they were using to fight turf wars before, or by realizing that there's not as much money in gangs any more and finding actual employment.

By your logic, you're saying we could stop the drug problem by just giving gangs money for free and expecting that they'll stop trafficking drugs. Not going to happen. If there's a way they can make money, they'll do it.

Um, don't you realize that things stabilized once things returned to way they once were--before the prohibition. It's not the removal of prohibition you are talking about. It's the return to way things were.

How am I not talking about the removal of prohibition? That's ALL I've been talking about. But sure, maybe a return to the way things were, when people weren't shooting each other over territory so they'd be able to corner the black market on drugs in that area would be nice.

This isn't some big crazy reaching jump, it's a logical result. You can't stop consensual acts by letting the criminals make all of the money off of them, but you can stop a lot of crime by taking away the motive.

Prohibition has failed every time it has been tried, and the situation always improved when it was repealed. What makes you think this time will be different?

Look, prohibition is a failed policy. I'm not saying that everything will magically get better once we stop prohibition. I'm saying that it hasn't done anything we wanted it to do, so why do we continue to support it? Why not move on and try to find an option that actually works?

Dead.

Response to Suggestion: Legalize all drugs 2007-04-09 21:13:28

Ok lets just use pot as a starter the two countries where it is legal have the 2 lowest of the average iq's maybe that sais something. If all drugs were legalized things would be insane all the time because noone would ever be able to think rationally.

I'm a metalhead and proud of it!OR AM I AN EMO, SPAM ME

Response to Suggestion: Legalize all drugs 2007-04-09 21:25:35

At 4/9/07 09:13 PM, poisoned-soul777 wrote: Ok lets just use pot as a starter the two countries where it is legal have the 2 lowest of the average iq's maybe that sais something. If all drugs were legalized things would be insane all the time because noone would ever be able to think rationally.

Nice sources for you information there buddy. And hey guess what, Email has a lot more devastating effects on the mind than marijuana does[1].

1. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04/22/email _destroys_iq/

Dead.

Response to Suggestion: Legalize all drugs 2007-04-09 21:47:09

its cause the cops arnt even trying

get a gun and shoot the shit out of everyone smoking a joint, sniffing crack and taking any other illicit drugs

problem solved

Response to Suggestion: Legalize all drugs 2007-04-09 22:19:42

At 4/9/07 09:07 PM, Elfer wrote: But we're NOT keeping druggies off the streets. They're still there, they're still everywhere because you can't get rid of consensual behaviour by threatening punishment. You can only get rid of it through education and treatment.

If you recall, I proposed two scenarios (I will assume you remember). In both, the police situation was virtually identical. I'm just saying that nothing will change when you legalize drugs, so I don't see what you hope to accomplish by doing so.

Gangs don't stimulate drug trafficking, drug users stimulate drug trafficking by creating a demand for it. Gangs simply provide the drug trafficking, because there's the opportunity to make money in it. Since there's an opportunity to make money in drugs, there's an opportunity to make money by joining a gang.

Well, I guess that can be viewed either way, becuase there wouldn't be any drug users without gangs to provide the drugs. It's kinda like "which came first, the chicken or the egg."

Right, but the thing about that is that if they start using violent crime itself as the main source of their revenue, it'll get stomped out a lot faster. First, fewer people are willing to rob or extort people for money, because if you do that, the victim goes to the police right away. With drug dealing, it's a lot less dangerous, because there's no victim involved, and not nearly as many people to turn you in. This is why dealers are so omnipresent.

If gangs could be making more money than they already are, what makes you think they wouldn't be doing it? If gangs weren't already willing to resort to violent methods to get money, the area would be taken over by gangs willing to use violence.

Let me elaborate:

Gangs will adapt to the situation by becoming much more methodical and surrepititious about how they approach their business. Also, they will become much more systematic, milking prostitution far more than was previously necessary.

Basically, its like a family that was doing well that suddenly went under massive debt. They will resort to various means (ie making the children work) that they didn't need to before. You argue, asking why didn't that familiy do those things before. I would say that it wasn't necessary.

It's not a case of accepting or not accepting something, it's a case of facing reality. There's no way for them to pull more money out of thin air if the drug revenue dries up. They'll have to compensate by cutting the fat they were using to fight turf wars before, or by realizing that there's not as much money in gangs any more and finding actual employment.

By your logic, you're saying we could stop the drug problem by just giving gangs money for free and expecting that they'll stop trafficking drugs. Not going to happen. If there's a way they can make money, they'll do it.

Well, people involved in the omnipotent Aryan Brotherhood have an warped sense of reality. They truly believe in a "perfect race of humans." They won't accept a normal job, especially since half of them have swatiskas tatooed all over them. The same can be said about other gang members. A lot will not accept a normal life, even though they should.

I'm just thinking that taking away an entire industry on which gangs rely will push them to do things they previous did not need to do, but of course could do.

How am I not talking about the removal of prohibition? That's ALL I've been talking about. But sure, maybe a return to the way things were, when people weren't shooting each other over territory so they'd be able to corner the black market on drugs in that area would be nice.

Sorry, that was a bit stupid of me. But I was trying to say that...well read what I wrote below.

Prohibition has failed every time it has been tried, and the situation always improved when it was repealed. What makes you think this time will be different?

It was only attampted once.

Look, prohibition is a failed policy. I'm not saying that everything will magically get better once we stop prohibition. I'm saying that it hasn't done anything we wanted it to do, so why do we continue to support it? Why not move on and try to find an option that actually works?

Who says the current prohibition is a failure? If it was, don't you think the government would have acknowledged that by now?

Plus, the alcohol prohibition was enacted under different circumstances than was this one. In the 1920s prohibition, alchol, a commodity that was accepted as legal, was made illegal. Drugs have always been illegal. See my point?

Response to Suggestion: Legalize all drugs 2007-04-09 22:48:37

Crystal meth is the most addictive substance in the world. Not one of the most- THE MOST.

It can make addicts out of first time users. It often does.

Permanent bodily damage (degrades your brain's blood vessels causing stroke) can result from short term use.

This should not be legalized for recreational use. Even cocaine and heroin, if regulated and chemically tweaked a bit, could become RELATIVELY safe recreational drugs.

Methamphetamine should be produced by the government and distributed through rehab programs. The demand comes less from recreational drug users as it does from tweaking addicts. Even most recreational drug users wont touch crack or meth.

Response to Suggestion: Legalize all drugs 2007-04-09 22:51:13

The Christians would hate you and never vote for you again, and an overwhelming majority of assholes in the USA are hardline Christian.

bro at me come

BBS Signature

Response to Suggestion: Legalize all drugs 2007-04-09 23:06:41

Governments would only legalise it if you could tax it. How can you tax something you can grow?

A very good point my Dad pointed out to me.

Response to Suggestion: Legalize all drugs 2007-04-09 23:34:43

You are a Libertarian and those people always freak me out.

The legalization of drugs is always a bad idea.

On the one hand you think it would solve a great deal of problems in society such as crime not to mention if it is handled carefully we could get profit out of it. For one thing I'm pretty glad a situation like this will never happen. Let's say, for example, that as time passes they decided to pass a law in every safe possible way to let people buy drugs. Any kind. They even put age restrictions on it.

You just opened a new can of worms.

Now with drugs being easily accessed people who are the partiers aren't going to care what they take. There will be people out there who will take drugs and we will have bigger addictions out there in the United States than ever before. You say people will stop stealing to get their drug? No. Poverty is always going to exist only this time they will rob convenience stores or possibly shipments to stores in efforts to get the drugs. Children will be hooked on very dangerous drugs at an earlier age. If children can get a hold of Beer, Cigarettes, and Pot at an early age then why not this? We would have massive societal problems with people not working at their level because they are so addicted to these drugs that are legal. You will have more DUI's then every before because people behave and act differently with drugs. Suicide rates will climb rapidly.

The only ones who will be on top will be the ones who don't take the drugs. To me this is an unhuministic way of "thinning out the heard". To get rid of the ones who are dumb enough to take these drugs. Then after society slowly clears out the weak the strong will survive and we won't need this stuff anymore.

However, this seems to be a case where it destroys this nation more than the crime connected to those who are doing drugs or selling illegally.

You have to weight your options and making them legal is a bad option.

BBS Signature

Response to Suggestion: Legalize all drugs 2007-04-09 23:40:38

Also, I don't know what perfect world you try to pretend you live in, but I live in this great tapestry that I call REALITY!

All these ideas sound manipulatively good in theory, ya know, like communism. You would think if people go out of their way to try to enforce education about drugs would be a way to keep crime to a minimum would sound all right. Yet, its not going to effect any kind of level of crime.

This all seems like a theory that most likely would never work well in practice.

BBS Signature

Response to Suggestion: Legalize all drugs 2007-04-09 23:41:56

I’m sorry but I don’t see how legalizing drugs would solve anything!

Response to Suggestion: Legalize all drugs 2007-04-09 23:42:47

At 4/9/07 10:19 PM, bob-the-ripper wrote: If you recall, I proposed two scenarios (I will assume you remember). In both, the police situation was virtually identical. I'm just saying that nothing will change when you legalize drugs, so I don't see what you hope to accomplish by doing so.

Well, for one, active investigations and raids would stop, which would save a ridiculous amount of money, you wouldn't need drug dogs any more, blah blah blah.

There's a whole barrel of monkeys of drug-related arrests that don't stem from public intoxication.

Well, I guess that can be viewed either way, becuase there wouldn't be any drug users without gangs to provide the drugs. It's kinda like "which came first, the chicken or the egg."

No, this isn't a chicken/egg scenario. People wanted drugs, so people realized they could make a lot of money selling them, and started up their business. Then gangs realized they could use strong-arm tactics to control large amounts of sales territory, so they told dealers to work for their gang or get the fucks out.

Gangs didn't come along and say "Hey guys, look what we found! Drugs!"

As I've said before, if prohibition meant no gangs to sell drugs to people, I'd be happy with it. The problem with prohibition is that it doesn't do what it's supposed to.

Fun fact: Alcohol prohibition was the time when big organised crime sprang up in the US, due to the need for a supply and distribution chain to be set up. Before that, the local city-sized crime syndicates had no reason to communicate with each other.

Let me elaborate:

Gangs will adapt to the situation by becoming much more methodical and surrepititious about how they approach their business. Also, they will become much more systematic, milking prostitution far more than was previously necessary.

Right, but what I'm saying is that supply doesn't determine demand, demand determines supply, or it determines price. Either way, demand is what determines the amount of money flowing into a system. Since there's no shortage of prostitutes, and the demand is already met, they can't make any more money off of it.

Unless of course they start manufacturing higher-quality prostitutes and charging a premium. But then everybody wins, sort of.

Basically, its like a family that was doing well that suddenly went under massive debt. They will resort to various means (ie making the children work) that they didn't need to before. You argue, asking why didn't that familiy do those things before. I would say that it wasn't necessary.

Right, but gangs aren't a family. They have no overhead costs to worry about for the gang. Their objective is to sock away as much money as they can. Once drugs are out of their hands, all of the people who were in the gang to deal drugs no longer have a reason to be in the gang, unless they're willing to become the violent types (As I mentioned before, many people who sell drugs are opportunists, they do it because they can get the money without having to hurt people themselves). It would also stem the flow of people who started selling drugs then got caught up in a gang because of it.

See, the difference between a gang and a family is that you can't quit a family, and you can't just disband a big part of a family either when they're not making money from the family. For many people, gangs are a way to make some money, it doesn't work the other way around where a gang makes money because it needs to support the people who are in it.

And as I said before, non-consensual crimes are a cinch to crack down on, if gangs do actually respond in this way (Again, your reasoning is purely speculative, and you don't really have other examples to back it up, which isn't really a good enough reason to justify the continued support of a failed policy like prohibition).

Well, people involved in the omnipotent Aryan Brotherhood have an warped sense of reality. They truly believe in a "perfect race of humans." They won't accept a normal job, especially since half of them have swatiskas tatooed all over them. The same can be said about other gang members. A lot will not accept a normal life, even though they should.

Well, I think the Aryan Brotherhood is going to do a lot of stupid shit whether we're supporting them with drug money or not. I doubt they're sitting around going "Whoops, no time to hate the blacks, I'm late for work at the drug mill!"

As I said in my last post, if it were really the case that these gangs are only stopped from a big burst of violent crimes because they've got enough money from drugs, we could end the war on drugs just by handing money to the gangs and saying "here, have fun"

The problem with that is that then a bunch of people would be joining up with the gangs, because the size of the gang is influenced by the amount of money in it, rather than the gang always being the same size and requiring a fixed income.

I'm just thinking that taking away an entire industry on which gangs rely will push them to do things they previous did not need to do, but of course could do.

I think if there were one thing that gangs actually would do to bring up the crime rate, it would probably be that they would splinter up and fight amongst each other for a smaller group to have control of the same territory, a large group no longer needed since there's no drug income.

Organised crime runs like a business, and it's hard to run a business based on something as unpredictable and unreliable as robbery. Also, since robberies are hit-and-run operations, it's impossible to be running the robbery racket in an area, because by the time someone's robbed someone, they're too far gone for you to do anything about it. That's why robbery is done by individuals or small groups rather than large organised gangs, in addition to the fact that if you're working for yourself, you keep all the profits.

And since robbery is often more lucrative than small-time drug dealing, people who are willing to rob people are usually already doing it.

Also, to reiterate, since robbery isn't consensual, people will report it every time, and people will be caught quickly if they're using it as their primary source of income. One of the reasons you can't crack down on drug dealing is because drug users don't go up to police officers and say "Excuse me officer, but that man just sold me drugs!" They don't want to lose their connection, so the dealing doesn't get reported.

Robbery, on the other hand, there's nobody saying "Wow, that robbery was some good shit man, we should go back to that guy."

Ending prohibition would also give a lot of these people the opportunity to get out of crime, because their past drug convictions that may have been keeping them from real employment would be gone.

It was only attampted once.

Nope. It's been attempted with other things, notably boxing and the numbers racket. The numbers racket was fixed with the introduction of a government lottery, and now that boxing is legalised and regulated, there's standardised and safe equipment, as well as a doctor at the ring side who will stop the fight if the health of a fighter is jeopardized.

Prohibition has never been a good solution to any consensual behaviour.

Who says the current prohibition is a failure? If it was, don't you think the government would have acknowledged that by now?

The facts say it's a failure. Drug use and abuse is still rampant, and no matter how many busts are made, the supply of drugs remains uninterrupted.

Plus, the alcohol prohibition was enacted under different circumstances than was this one. In the 1920s prohibition, alchol, a commodity that was accepted as legal, was made illegal. Drugs have always been illegal. See my point?

Now that's just plain silly. How could drugs have always been illegal? Marijuana wasn't even illegal until four years after alcohol prohibition ended.

And that's not to mention drugs that didn't even exist until later, such as LSD, invented in 1938 and not prohibited until about 30 years later (despite many uses in psychiatry and other fields).

Dead.

Response to Suggestion: Legalize all drugs 2007-04-09 23:55:33

At 4/8/07 11:08 PM, Elfer wrote: Rationale: Prohibition doesn't work, and a system where drugs are legalized would be of great benefit to society.

Arguments?

None.

BBS Signature

Response to Suggestion: Legalize all drugs 2007-04-10 00:04:36

At 4/9/07 10:48 PM, packow wrote: Crystal meth is the most addictive substance in the world. Not one of the most- THE MOST.

It can make addicts out of first time users. It often does.

Any sources on this? As in, actual sources with statistics?

Methamphetamine should be produced by the government and distributed through rehab programs. The demand comes less from recreational drug users as it does from tweaking addicts. Even most recreational drug users wont touch crack or meth.

As long as schedule 1 is gone, that's fine. If this will get rid of the black market for the drug, so be it.

At 4/9/07 11:34 PM, SirXVII wrote: Now with drugs being easily accessed people who are the partiers aren't going to care what they take.

Stop (Hammertime).

Why does everyone act as though drugs are not already available to party-goers? Drugs are widely available, especially if you're at a party.

There will be people out there who will take drugs and we will have bigger addictions out there in the United States than ever before.

If any previous form of prohibition out there is an indicator, you're wrong. In fact, drugs that are legal now, such as Peyote and Salvia, aren't actually widely used. It's not the legal status of the drug that determines whether or not a person will use it. And if it is, that person is an idiot and I don't care about them.

You say people will stop stealing to get their drug? No. Poverty is always going to exist only this time they will rob convenience stores or possibly shipments to stores in efforts to get the drugs.

Well, if the trials with heroin clinics in Switzerland are any indication, you're wrong. If they can get their drug without resorting to crime, they'll do it. And if they don't have to worry about stashing away their drug, they'll be more inclined to find a steady source of income to get a reliable fix.

I don't often see alcoholics hijacking shipments of booze.

Children will be hooked on very dangerous drugs at an earlier age. If children can get a hold of Beer, Cigarettes, and Pot at an early age then why not this?

Good point, pot is ILLEGAL, and kids can still get a hold of it at an early age. That's because dealers will sell directly to kids.

We would have massive societal problems with people not working at their level because they are so addicted to these drugs that are legal. You will have more DUI's then every before because people behave and act differently with drugs. Suicide rates will climb rapidly.

Again, thank you for the wild speculation based on a flawed assumption. Think about what you're saying, then come back. For example, if heroin become legal, would you run out and start shooting up right away? Would you tell your kids that it's ok to do heroin because it's legal now?

And do you think that you couldn't get heroin right now, even if you wanted to?

The only ones who will be on top will be the ones who don't take the drugs. To me this is an unhuministic way of "thinning out the heard". To get rid of the ones who are dumb enough to take these drugs. Then after society slowly clears out the weak the strong will survive and we won't need this stuff anymore.

Even if this were true, which it isn't, how would it be inhumane? We wouldn't force anyone to take drugs, we'd offer detox and rehab free of charge, afterwards they'd have a clean criminal record that wouldn't hinder them from getting jobs. If someone is in that environment and still becomes a drug addict, then you know what? They were going to be a drug addict anyway. You can get drugs now whether you like it or not.

I'm not trying to say drugs are good and everyone should do them. I'm saying that prohibition funds crime, and doesn't do what it's supposed to do.

However, this seems to be a case where it destroys this nation more than the crime connected to those who are doing drugs or selling illegally.

You have to weight your options and making them legal is a bad option.

The options are: Put the production and distribution of drugs in legitimate hands where it can be regulated and monitored, or put it in the hands of criminals, deregulate it completely, and people still do drugs anyway.

Dead.

Response to Suggestion: Legalize all drugs 2007-04-10 01:17:17

At 4/9/07 11:42 PM, Elfer wrote: Fun fact: Alcohol prohibition was the time when big organised crime sprang up in the US, due to the need for a supply and distribution chain to be set up. Before that, the local city-sized crime syndicates had no reason to communicate with each other.

Point of order: if those crime syndicates already existed prior to prohibition then all that means is that prohibition simply served as an extemely profitable opportunity for them, not a point of genesis. Further, those crime syndicates did not disappear when prohibition ended, ergo existing drug gangs would refocus their efforts into other areas of crime were drugs to be legallized.

Ultimately however, there is one HUMONGOUS flaw in this argument: regulation relies on honest governance. Obviously, this isn't the case, one only has to look at the tabbacco industry and the enormous pull it has on government through lobbies. Can you imagine the fiscal weight behind cocaine?

Even in cases where legalization exists, there's no guarantee people will aqcuire their drugs through approved channels.

Response to Suggestion: Legalize all drugs 2007-04-10 01:40:13

At 4/8/07 11:08 PM, Elfer wrote: Arguments?

None. :)

BBS Signature

Response to Suggestion: Legalize all drugs 2007-04-10 02:33:52

At 4/8/07 11:08 PM, Elfer wrote: Rationale: Prohibition doesn't work, and a system where drugs are legalized would be of great benefit to society.

Every time I see a comment like this it makes me sad.

Sad that it still hasn't happened.

BBS Mod. PM with queries and complaints if you must.

LazyTV | Stuff White People Like

BBS Signature

Response to Suggestion: Legalize all drugs 2007-04-10 02:51:50

Suggestion:
Give me your drugs.

Response to Suggestion: Legalize all drugs 2007-04-10 02:54:35

Then how about the prices? And the transport over the countries?

those will still count as irrational.

Join chat | In Obscurity Forever.| Least noticed user '13? Vote for me!

Sig by Me.

BBS Signature

Response to Suggestion: Legalize all drugs 2007-04-10 10:27:12

At 4/10/07 01:17 AM, capn-g wrote: Point of order: if those crime syndicates already existed prior to prohibition then all that means is that prohibition simply served as an extemely profitable opportunity for them, not a point of genesis.

Well no, it was just the point when all the local crime syndicates started hooking up to form big crime syndicates, because they needed production and distribution, etc.

Further, those crime syndicates did not disappear when prohibition ended, ergo existing drug gangs would refocus their efforts into other areas of crime were drugs to be legallized.

Oh, I'm sure they'll find something else to go to that can be handled by an organised crime ring. After prohibition, the expansion was mostly into things like prostitution and gambling, and of course drugs that were illegal at the time, and drugs that were becoming illegal.

What I was saying before is that there's really no way for an organised crime syndicate to control unorganised crimes like robbery and extortion in a certain area.

Ultimately however, there is one HUMONGOUS flaw in this argument: regulation relies on honest governance. Obviously, this isn't the case, one only has to look at the tabbacco industry and the enormous pull it has on government through lobbies. Can you imagine the fiscal weight behind cocaine?

Even in cases where legalization exists, there's no guarantee people will aqcuire their drugs through approved channels.

Right, that's why they have to be produced and distributed in such a way as to prevent a black market from springing up. It's like how here in Canada, when cigarettes become too expensive, a big market for cheaper illegal cigarettes suddenly appears. While there's
always a market for illegal cigarettes, it can be minimized and kept non-violent by keeping it from being a significant portion of the total sales.

Dead.

Response to Suggestion: Legalize all drugs 2007-04-10 23:19:51

At 4/10/07 10:49 AM, Mr-Money wrote: The same kind of applies with drugs. Except legalising drugs is even more effective, because people take drugs because they think doing something against the law is cool. Once it's legal, it's no longer cool, and people may stop doing it.

As much as it would be nice if that were true, that's just as speculative and unfounded as saying people will do more drugs if they're legal.

Dead.

Response to Suggestion: Legalize all drugs 2007-04-10 23:22:16

At 4/10/07 10:49 AM, Mr-Money wrote:

:They know people don't care about the consequences and will find ways around the system.

huh, what the consequences of listening to music?? does that have to doo with ear drums

Response to Suggestion: Legalize all drugs 2007-04-10 23:28:32

At 4/10/07 10:49 AM, Mr-Money wrote:

Once it's legal, it's no longer cool, and people may stop doing it.

Seriously, I doubt anyone who considers taking drugs will stop just because it's illegal. But people WILL stop if it becomes legal.

In short: I agree. LEGALISE ALL DRUGS.

Sure, but that's a slim chance. People will most likely not stop doing drugs becuz it is legal. Most of those people will think it is even COOLER because now they can do it in public. And even if it were legal there would still be an age limit and then kids might bedoing it still but even more. Again, that is a really slim chance.

Response to Suggestion: Legalize all drugs 2007-04-10 23:30:05

At 4/10/07 11:28 PM, Krew-Man wrote: Sure, but that's a slim chance. People will most likely not stop doing drugs becuz it is legal. Most of those people will think it is even COOLER because now they can do it in public.

Public intoxication isn't legal.

Dead.

Response to Suggestion: Legalize all drugs 2007-04-10 23:53:14

At 4/9/07 09:25 PM, Elfer wrote:
At 4/9/07 09:13 PM, poisoned-soul777 wrote: Ok lets just use pot as a starter the two countries where it is legal have the 2 lowest of the average iq's maybe that sais something.
1. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04/22/email _destroys_iq/

I'd also like to add that there are NO COUNTRIES IN THE WORLD IN WHICH MARIJUANA IS LEGAL.

Response to Suggestion: Legalize all drugs 2007-04-10 23:54:22

At 4/9/07 11:06 PM, Idocreating wrote: Governments would only legalise it if you could tax it. How can you tax something you can grow?

A very good point my Dad pointed out to me.

That's the stupidest argument in the world. Do you know what tobacco is?

We tax tobacco.

We tax alcohol.

Why is marijuana different?

Response to Suggestion: Legalize all drugs 2007-04-11 00:18:01

At 4/10/07 11:54 PM, packow wrote: We tax tobacco.

We tax alcohol.

Of the three, maijuana is the easiest to self-produce, no plantations or distilleries required.

Response to Suggestion: Legalize all drugs 2007-04-11 00:20:27

At 4/10/07 11:53 PM, packow wrote: I'd also like to add that there are NO COUNTRIES IN THE WORLD IN WHICH MARIJUANA IS LEGAL.

Ehhh. There's at least places where it's essentially legal.

Dead.

Response to Suggestion: Legalize all drugs 2007-04-11 00:24:34

At 4/11/07 12:18 AM, capn-g wrote:
At 4/10/07 11:54 PM, packow wrote: We tax tobacco.

We tax alcohol.

Of the three, maijuana is the easiest to self-produce, no plantations or distilleries required.

Yeah, but why would people ever want to grow their own pot if they can just all sorts of exotic strains at their local pot shop? They couldn't sell it, they'd be run out of business by legal sellers.