00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

cdhoeh0112 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Halloween, Christmas, Treasure Hunt

22,146 Views | 121 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Halloween, Christmas, Treasure Hunt 2006-11-03 23:36:19

I second you Sickdeath, let's kick people asses with our next submissions.

Kecho...don't leave animation man, we are very young, so there are lots of hours to practice and to become better!

Blaze: That halloween splashes fucking rock!

Response to Halloween, Christmas, Treasure Hunt 2006-11-03 23:37:03

At 11/3/06 11:23 PM, mpeng wrote:
At 11/3/06 11:18 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 11/3/06 11:12 PM, mpeng wrote: Deaths Curtain, by SickDeathFiend Is show on the first page as one of the top new movies or games, Yet it has been blamed.
SDF considered it unfinished and plans to submit a complete version later.
Thank GOD, It was one of the best flash movies I have ever seen. If he can make it better than he owns all flash. Maby that could be posted insted of the blamed message. I'm sure that pisses off alot of people who've seen the movie and want more of it. I know I was shocked when I saw the word blamed on that flash.

Oops never miend it's on there, He did say the thing about makeing a better one soon. I still wish I could still watch it, and I hope the new one doesn't take to long....So I like blood and gore in flash movies! So what!?! Sorry, Spazzing out a bit.

Response to Halloween, Christmas, Treasure Hunt 2006-11-03 23:40:07

Sorry if I sounded like a 3 year older complaining about not winning a prize, sometimes im just a retard...btw
I wont leave animation :)
actually toms response cheered up the things a little bit, still the unmotivation is there hehe...but thats temporal and normal, has happened in the past.

Thanks for all the feedback, its cool to have a discussion like this since you always get other's opinions and new ideas come up.

Response to Halloween, Christmas, Treasure Hunt 2006-11-03 23:41:32

Get on msn ho, it's time to begin storyboards. I will push your limits to interspace, we have to make a ground breaking anim for halloween.

Response to Halloween, Christmas, Treasure Hunt 2006-11-04 00:26:41

congrats to all winners

Response to Halloween, Christmas, Treasure Hunt 2006-11-04 00:34:27

Yeah, I was pretty pissed off when my submission was passed over for the halloween collection twice because:
1) its really the only way you know for sure your submission was viewed &
2) its all I really wanted in the first place.
So after bitching and moaning about in the bbs for a couple days I finally pm'ed Tom to ask why and he corrected it so now I'm satisfied.
I knew mine wouldn't hold up against the other great submissions, I just wanted in the collection, and I agree with the winners....except for maybe RAB, because well....when its episode 17 it sort of loses its originality factor.

And as for Christmas...what no Thanksgiving contest?

Response to Halloween, Christmas, Treasure Hunt 2006-11-04 00:38:15

What was the cut off point for the flash movies in the treasure hunt?

I mean... those entries were... actually I put a lot of effort into it. I did a big thing on scouring NG for a year, looking at every movie rated 3.00 and over and I made a list of 30 from that every month. I even made a discription of each one. When I excluded anything that got a daily place or that I thought had been on front page. I noticed quite a few people didn't put attention into that.

The Star Wars one.... (darth=in) I noticed that it was put into a collection and the movie had been moved to the rightful owner. Seems to me that my posting it finally gave it the attention it needed to have the mods fix that problem. It was a good flash. Were all my choices really less amusing then what ended up being put up even "LL- Edd-Black" http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/26 3922 The whole thing of a starbucks being across from a star buc was something I really find helarious.

Is my sense of humor so totally different that none of my 16 ideas were found to be good enough? I've looked at a few of the winners and don't really like any of them. I really thought that my work would have done a bit better. How depressing. :(

Collecting NG's undiscovered gems has been a hobby of mine since 2005. I am curently posting them on my blog.

Feel free to check them out and tell me what you think.

Response to Halloween, Christmas, Treasure Hunt 2006-11-04 00:54:10

wow killer winner line up tom

I feel like typing today...

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween, Christmas, Treasure Hunt 2006-11-04 01:52:54

Well at least that Lilium shit didnt get in.

Response to Halloween, Christmas, Treasure Hunt 2006-11-04 01:54:33

At 11/3/06 09:04 PM, TomFulp wrote: I'll note that I decided to stick closely what the users voted as the best, since it closely reflected by own feelings. The top three all get the same prize, so I didn't stress too much over which was best of the three. My one early regret is that I really did like the Blockhead Halloween special and wonder if I should have bumped it into the top three.

Not too late to change your mind... *ahem*

In all honesty Tom, the Halloween prizes were remarkably generous, and the fact that you thought Blockhead was worthy of 4th place and $500 is very, very awesome of you. I promise that I am not at all disappointed, only thrilled! You probably just made sure that my family will get gifts this Christmas, haha.

But if by some chance I place in the monthly top 5, then I will stop hating you forever :D

Thanks, Tom!

P.S. - I don't want to check now and risk losing what I've typed so far, but the last time I looked, Blockhead 8 hadn't been added to the series page yet. Those poor, poor fans :(

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween, Christmas, Treasure Hunt 2006-11-04 02:10:27

Sorry to double-post, but I'm the jerk who doesn't read the last page of discussion and then decides he hadn't said all he feels needs to be said.

You know, every time I see a review of one of my newer cartoons that says "Your style has really improved, it looks so professional", I want to feel happy but I can't help but feel like I'm losing my place as an amateur animator. Really, I am not professional. I have no formal training, I work only for myself, I have a 19" monitor and a 4x6 Wacom with a broken pen, and I've really only been working with Flash for a year. I'm not even very good at drawing, though I've improved since I decided last year to learn. But when I work on a project, I sleep five to zero hours every night and work from bed to back until it's complete. And I was doing this for Newgrounds before there was ever any prospect of monetary involvement.

Anyway, it's far from my place to say whether or not I feel I deserved a prize in this contest, but I do feel that I deserved the opportunity to compete. I think that everyone who made it into the contest earned it, even the new RAB cartoon, which does not, despite everyone's apparent expectations, have a massive studio of hundreds of trained artists working on it.

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween, Christmas, Treasure Hunt 2006-11-04 02:47:17

At 11/3/06 08:47 PM, TomFulp wrote: We received hundreds of submissions for our Halloween contest, many of which you can see on our Halloween 2006 page. The winners closely reflect audience voting, but not exactly:

Congrats to all the winners.

int experience, posts;

while(experience/10 >= posts)

{posts++};

Response to Halloween, Christmas, Treasure Hunt 2006-11-04 03:27:13

I here that. Some of us wish for the love of god that our passion for these kinds of things will one day get us out of working in factories , like myself. This is why I love the internet , it sort of cuts out the 'middle man' in trying to show the world your toon or whatever it may be.I think Blockhead 8 deserved more though , I didn't enjoy RAB . That's only my personal opinion though , and you know what opinions are like . . .

At 11/4/06 02:10 AM, The-Swain wrote: Sorry to double-post, but I'm the jerk who doesn't read the last page of discussion and then decides he hadn't said all he feels needs to be said.

You know, every time I see a review of one of my newer cartoons that says "Your style has really improved, it looks so professional", I want to feel happy but I can't help but feel like I'm losing my place as an amateur animator. Really, I am not professional. I have no formal training, I work only for myself, I have a 19" monitor and a 4x6 Wacom with a broken pen, and I've really only been working with Flash for a year. I'm not even very good at drawing, though I've improved since I decided last year to learn. But when I work on a project, I sleep five to zero hours every night and work from bed to back until it's complete. And I was doing this for Newgrounds before there was ever any prospect of monetary involvement.

Anyway, it's far from my place to say whether or not I feel I deserved a prize in this contest, but I do feel that I deserved the opportunity to compete. I think that everyone who made it into the contest earned it, even the new RAB cartoon, which does not, despite everyone's apparent expectations, have a massive studio of hundreds of trained artists working on it.

Response to Halloween, Christmas, Treasure Hunt 2006-11-04 04:52:44

At 11/3/06 08:47 PM, TomFulp wrote: We received hundreds of submissions for our Halloween contest, many of which you can see on our Halloween 2006 page. The winners closely reflect audience voting, but not exactly:

Sweet, i'll watch this one...

1. Portal of the Damned - $1,000

Response to Halloween, Christmas, Treasure Hunt 2006-11-04 05:36:50

Hahaha I loved that treasure hunt movie! Plus there was Dragonforce music in the end =P

Thanks Tom, we love long News posts.

BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER BEER

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween, Christmas, Treasure Hunt 2006-11-04 06:26:27

Cool games. I probably wouldn't have played them if they weren't there

Response to Halloween, Christmas, Treasure Hunt 2006-11-04 06:33:29

At 11/3/06 08:47 PM, TomFulp wrote: 1. Portal of the Damned - $1,000
2. Retarded Animal Babies 17 - $1,000
3. -LSD- - $1,000
4. Blockhead: Episode 8 - $500
5. More Like Blue: Halloween - $500
6. Night Trap - $250
7. College University Halloween Special - $250

Congrats to all the winners, you deserved it.

We are also proud to announce that Newgrounds is a platinum sponsor for Penny Arcade's Child's Play charity. Child's Play provides toys and games for sick kids in Children's Hospitals around the nation!

That's goood, nowadays NG is more like 'the solution of the problems of the future today' eh? haha :)

Our favorite submission was Break'n Into Your House,

I loled, good job finding (and making of course) that one. :D

Doors. You'll know when they're appropriate.

dA

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween, Christmas, Treasure Hunt 2006-11-04 07:29:46

At 11/3/06 08:47 PM, TomFulp wrote: Winners

Congrats to all that won.

Egoraptor also deserves a nod for his excellent Awesome Halloween movie.

I must watch that.

Also, I get mentioned in this fun article.

Congrats for that small mention there. :) And I want redesign updates as well. :P

Response to Halloween, Christmas, Treasure Hunt 2006-11-04 07:39:45

I'm break'n into your house! "OOOOH NOOO"

hahah classic

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween, Christmas, Treasure Hunt 2006-11-04 08:09:49

Thanks to referring me to Adam's movie, I missed it.

And congratz everyone, I missed Halloween but I'll be there on Christmas!

Response to Halloween, Christmas, Treasure Hunt 2006-11-04 08:48:42

At 11/4/06 02:10 AM, The-Swain wrote:
I want to feel happy but I can't help but feel like I'm losing my place as an amateur animator. Really, I am not professional.

Maybe not, but you're established & people sometimes have difficulty telling the difference.
Established artists may not be rich but they do have their own cafepress shops with their characters on the merchandise. They also have a decent sized fanbase which gives them more potential earnings than the avg author.
Established artists have that one good idea that turns into a series which then turns into all they do. Not meaning to pick on RAB again but it is RAB number 17 for example. Fans are fickle, and when even a good idea gets old they'll turn on you. Not saying blockhead is getting old yet, i like every single one & even break out my tongs now and then, but it something to think about if you're concerned at all about artist image. Maybe do something different between blockhead episodes?
I dunno... maybe I'm wrong and established artists can break away from their signature series but don't want to because its netting them some serious bling.
It is RAB #17 after all.

Response to Halloween, Christmas, Treasure Hunt 2006-11-04 09:05:18

Huge congratulations to those who won! =)

Response to Halloween, Christmas, Treasure Hunt 2006-11-04 09:26:22

I like portal of the damed

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

- George Carlin

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween, Christmas, Treasure Hunt 2006-11-04 09:29:28

I dont think Portal of the Damned should've been first.
But -LSD- was so fucked up!
The flashes mentioned were all awesome!

Gamertag: BlackFlameNG Xbox 360 Club

Gamerscore: 25,275- last updated 23/February/09

Steam ID: BlackFlameNG

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween, Christmas, Treasure Hunt 2006-11-04 10:03:32

I don't think that Breakn Into Your House was that good of a submission. I think that Virtual Psp should have won this. Which was found by me!!

Me <3 NG Holidays!

Response to Halloween, Christmas, Treasure Hunt 2006-11-04 10:24:30

I'll be damned!

How did I not win with Taking a Bathroom Break? I was robbed, That's all there is to it.

Twitter|Big Mean Flash Gamer| Art by John Dyer Baizley, sig by Shaun.

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween, Christmas, Treasure Hunt 2006-11-04 11:20:51

Tom you little rascal, with your white text and all that.

I hope my sig dosen't come out distorted

BBS Signature

Response to Halloween, Christmas, Treasure Hunt 2006-11-04 12:17:14

Great Job PEOple this was the best Newgrounds Halloween ever. Also Congradulations for the Awsome Flash Artist that won.

Response to Halloween, Christmas, Treasure Hunt 2006-11-04 13:02:51

At 11/4/06 01:26 AM, squeakytoad wrote:
Tom stated that most of these popular artists aren't exactly swimming in money. I agree for most of them, cept RAB. That guy sucks as much money out of every situation as possible. I really don't think he's all that poor.

Time to chime in.

I'm very happy to say that my DVD has supported me enough to buy a palatial mansion in the Hills, and three Lamborghini Gallardos, but when you stop and think about property taxes and car insurance, I'm sure you can agree that the bills can mount up and occasionally I am forced to buy brands of pate that I wouldn't even serve my dog.

The reality is, my income from RAB approximates free gas money. The truth is, I'm almost 37 years old and still just scraping things together. I live in a two-bedroom apartment in a Middletown crackhouse. I drive a 4-year-old Nissan. I'm not poor, but it's only because I'm employed otherwise.

I animate because I love it, and I love my RAB characters like my own kids and hope to keep making episodes. Most of all, I love my fans for being so supportive and appreciative of my efforts.

THANKS everyone for supporting RAB and helping me receive a top prize.

See you 'round the portal.

--Dave
umop.com

Response to Halloween, Christmas, Treasure Hunt 2006-11-04 13:19:00

Awesome Retarded Animal Babies won dave deserved it