00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Reviews being cleaned up.

27,098 Views | 217 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-18 16:28:05

I think your review deleters are being nazis. I just received a notification that one of my reviews was deleted and it did not go against any of the review policies that are included in the FAQ. Maybe these people should be the ones to read the review policies so they can get a fucking clue about what they are doing.

Anyways, it really doesn't matter since reviews don't matter on this site. Having 1, 10, or all of my reviews deleted has no effect whatsoever on my account since it doesn't have anything to do with experience points or blam/protect points, which are the ones that actually effect my voting power. Have fun assholes.

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-19 05:22:06

At 10/18/06 01:13 AM, Dekathos wrote:
At 10/17/06 11:26 PM, Esn wrote: For the record, Dekathos, neither have any of my reviews been deleted yet. I've always tried to give constructive criticism.
I never said you did.

---------------

Anyway I'm probably being a bit overly dramatic. After reading the string of whiney posts I couldn't help myself.

You know, I'd just like to be given some assurance that you're addressing this problem instead of just writing it off to whiny posters. It's probably stupid of me sticking my neck out here, because I haven't had any problems yet - but the rash of complaints here isn't very encouraging. I'd feel nervous about spending the time to write a good review if this problem isn't fixed. No sense working on something and having it dissappear down the drain, you know?

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-19 10:55:44

As long as the new review moderators don't turn into nazis, that's nice. I've seen one review from me being deleted that I felt wasn't any offensive or abusive. Perhaps that's just an exceptional case but I'm rather concerned about the professionalism of those mods.

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-19 11:06:52

I've had two deleted that violated no rules already. I didn't care for popular submissions, but I described what I disliked and offered ways to improve. I am guessing I was flagged and now review mod just see multiple flags and remove instead of clear the flags on legitimate reviews.

I've also had two others get removed that were not so good as reviews, but breaking the rules was kind of a stretch.

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-19 14:00:39

At 10/19/06 05:22 AM, Esn wrote:
You know, I'd just like to be given some assurance that you're addressing this problem instead of just writing it off to whiny posters. It's probably stupid of me sticking my neck out here, because I haven't had any problems yet - but the rash of complaints here isn't very encouraging. I'd feel nervous about spending the time to write a good review if this problem isn't fixed. No sense working on something and having it dissappear down the drain, you know?

I'm mostly talking about people who are complaining about certain reviews being deleted that are in fact abusive and are offended by the prospect of having to change their tune when reviewing or actually putting some thought into their review becuase they are finally getting what was coming to them.

I'm not sure what you mean by "adressing the problem". Believe me I wish I could but just like you I'm a regular user and am speaking as I've done frequently since I've been here, about the review system because in the past it has been very poor and I believe this is a improvement and will get better and don't wish it to go back to the way it was.

If I were a review mod, someone who is actually capable, I would be doing much the same except I'd be in a better shape to defend what's going on here but that's not the case. As it is I can only try to help, becuase the people who can for some reason are remaining pretty silent about this and if they did they could only speak for how they have modded and not for anyone else. Sorry.

In terms of some of the reviews that are being deleted that shouldn't be, I don't know!

I certainly hope this isn't a case of badly prioritising. I just saw a review that said nothing but Fuck you! that I much rather that guy be punished then a humorous review that is for the most part harmless although off topic and unhelpful. I know if it was funny I'd enjoy it regardless cuase I'm not uptight like that.

I'm think many were deleted because regular users were flagging them inapropriately but I do know for sure from what I've read, they are getting penalised as well for doing so and their flags won't be worth a thing if they keep it up.

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-20 00:46:45

I got an email and i noticed it was an old review which i noticed that got deleted but im kinda confused on why it was deleted. But now that I look at it, it could have been misread or something, but just to be sure, could someone point out where this review might have broken any of the rules.
"There are time people had to suffer, but Jeff must have made this for a cry for help, that, or to show somthing for him to be remembered, i for sure wouldnt know, but i only have three words that come to mind when it comes down to this.
That just sucks."

Just asking on the account i dont want to make a mistake on a review or something, thanks to anyone who can help me out on this.

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-20 10:44:42

not a bad idea...

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-20 11:31:48

This just got deleted on me:

"Not sure what to think of this. At times it was tough telling what was going on.

It was good, though. Very interesting style, for sure.

Well, nicely done."

That is not an abusive review and I even gave the guy a 6 or 7 if I recall.

I think the review mods you got need some further direction.

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-21 00:05:21

cool idea, now when there is spam reviews u dont have to be annoyed when u read reviews.

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-21 06:50:45

Could anyone tell me why reporting theft in your review is considered as against the rules?

This message is to inform you that the following review, which you left for Real Skating on 5/6/05 at 10:55:57 AM, has been deleted:
"you are good at stealing, everybody knows -ragdoll- created that movie"
Please review the Portal review guidelines to ensure that you are following the rules.
Also, be aware that repeated review deletions will result in administrative action against your account.

Stolen flash
He also admitted stealing it in a response to a review.
"sorry i stole this so i can see what type of reviews it got, cos im making my own skate flash(similar animation style). "
And have a look at this as well. -ragdoll- is bakerrr's previous username.

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-21 14:12:59

At 10/21/06 06:50 AM, vonDark wrote: Could anyone tell me why reporting theft in your review is considered as against the rules?

It's part of the review guidelines. Basically, we don't want someone to wrongly assume that a flash is stolen and influence other people to vote low on it. If you honestly feel like a stolen flash made it through judgement you're better off e-mailing an administrator. You're more likely to get it deleted that way.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-21 20:41:47

At 10/21/06 02:12 PM, Jercurpac wrote: It's part of the review guidelines. Basically, we don't want someone to wrongly assume that a flash is stolen and influence other people to vote low on it. If you honestly feel like a stolen flash made it through judgement you're better off e-mailing an administrator. You're more likely to get it deleted that way.

I honestly beleive I also emailed Wade about that, and no action was taken (as usual). But it was quite a while ago, so I'm not sure. Also thought that the movie would be deleted anyway, considering how he actually admitted stealing it.

Yes, I like pointing out the obvious. >: (

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-22 13:09:16

At 10/21/06 11:59 PM, Nickjot wrote: STOP DELETING MY REVIEWS YOU BASTARD M-BOT

I just added him to my ignore list.

BBS Signature

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-23 20:41:38

I've been flagged down three times for this bullshit. It's completely and entirely pointless and unfair to ban users because of their point of view.

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-24 09:45:33

At 10/23/06 08:41 PM, AniGen2 wrote: I've been flagged down three times for this bullshit. It's completely and entirely pointless and unfair to ban users because of their point of view.

It's one thing to have opinions it's another to be a complete douchebag when presenting them. I went through your reviews and nothing deserved to be deleted, I even cleared the abusive flags on a few of them, but you tend to be overly critical and at times you do go above and beyond your goal of "telling it like it is". If you honestly believe that your reviews didn't cross the line it's okay to repost them, just remember if you honestly want authors to take your opinions to heart and not have your message misconstrued as abusive you're going to have to lay off the vinegar a bit.

BBS Signature

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-24 10:08:00

At 10/24/06 09:45 AM, Jercurpac wrote:
At 10/23/06 08:41 PM, AniGen2 wrote: Complaint

In retrosepect I decided to check and see how many reviews of yours have been deleted and surprisingly, that haven't been any deletions. So what exactly are you complaining about, users marking your reviews abusive? Most of the marks against your reviews have just been unhelpful, not abusive, and quite frankly, users have just as much right to not like your review as you do to not like a flash.

In any case don't worry about your reviews getting flagged, it's not the final say for a review getting deleted or a user getting banned. It's merely a way to filter out potentially abusive reviews, if your reviews aren't abusive you have nothing to worry about.

BBS Signature

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-25 02:18:03

A question to "the powers that be":

Are there any plans to apply these guidelines to the audio portal? The reviewing and rating system there is getting all kinds of abuse because reviews cannot be marked as "helpful", "unhelpful" or "abusive" as they can on the flash portal.

There's a user there right now who's made it his mission to "0" every audio submission that he comes across, and openly admits this. What is more worrisome to me, however, is that the system there allows this to happen. You can write a horribly abusive review on the audio portal, and nothing will ever happen to you. Many of the musicians there work just as hard as flash artists, and it doesn't seem fair that they should have to put up with this.

I made a recent topic about this over here:
http://newgrounds.co../topic.php?id=593967

If anyone notices this post and tries to help - thank you.

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-26 17:47:52

This message is to inform you that the following review, which you left for Irwin Artists randition on 9/12/06 at 11:55:33 PM, has been deleted:

"ok i review this movie its not the worst i have seen but the sound just terrbile its cuts my ears and the its all over the place the graphics are dreaful which dont help to see very clearly its happens so fast you dont get to see what going on movies lkke see seem to dodgy at best but this could have been better if the animation and the sound effects were improved"

Please review the Portal review guidelines to ensure that you are following the rules.
why was this deleted its not abusive is it

Archer I'm a good shot!

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-28 13:13:26

dude wtf?

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-28 18:35:07

At 10/14/06 12:23 AM, WadeFulp wrote: The review mods have been instructed to only ban for recent offenses, up to 90 days or so. Keep in mind this is a big effort and some mistakes maybe made. If you have reviews deleted, they probably violated one of our rules. We invite users to resubmit their reviews if they can stick to our review guidelines.

That's a relief. I was already banned for my reviews in 2001, no need for it to happen again. I wish anything 2005 and back were deleted, really.

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-28 19:16:27

Aw about 6 of my reviews have been deleted i mean they where bad reviews but bad enough to get deleted?, oh well i'll try to do a better job at reviewing from now on i guess.

In internet years i'm dead. *click sig to zoom zoom*

BBS Signature

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-28 21:48:03

Yay1 No more nonsenscical review thingies! WTF was up with the violence score anyway?

Chainsaw: the great communicator!

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-29 00:40:24

I'm talking about my other account. AniGen. Those reviews were deleted. This is my Alt.

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-10-29 16:17:19

Is there any way to appeal a review that has been banned? I have a review that was deleted that was certainly not abusive in any way, and I'd like to contest its removal and any negative consequences that arise from being flagged.

BBS Signature

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-11-01 02:18:28

Ahh crap, well, there goes my review count XD hehe.
This sure does explain why some of my reviews from '04 have been getting deleted lately :O

Thanks for the implication of the new system and clearing things up, Wade.

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-11-01 15:50:49

according to you people is this review abusive?

First, my dear reader, i cannot believe that tom fulp has made a piconjo collection. call it abusive as you want, but you know that i am right. just check piconjo's other junk.

secondly may i ask what is wrong with you Piconjo? seriously why on earth did you made this film. LF is a great artist and does not deserve such a crappy film. you know that i am right.

please for the love of god stop it, its not funny."

no? they why the hell did that sorry excuse of a bot of M-bot delete this?

i have expressed my feelings towards a flash and this jerk just deletes it as if it were nothing?

well what do you think?

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-11-01 15:55:53

At 10/21/06 06:50 AM, vonDark wrote: Could anyone tell me why reporting theft in your review is considered as against the rules?
This message is to inform you that the following review, which you left for Real Skating on 5/6/05 at 10:55:57 AM, has been deleted:
"you are good at stealing, everybody knows -ragdoll- created that movie"
Also, be aware that repeated review deletions will result in administrative action against your account.
Stolen flash
He also admitted stealing it in a response to a review.
"sorry i stole this so i can see what type of reviews it got, cos im making my own skate flash(similar animation style). "
And have a look at this as well. -ragdoll- is bakerrr's previous username.

hell M-bot is a jerk. just because i said that a flash movie sucked and said why the hell Tom fulp made a Piconjo Collection he deleted my review.

this guy sucks.......i wonder who hired him?

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-11-01 20:15:37

At 11/1/06 03:50 PM, SirPongo wrote: according to you people is this review abusive?

First, my dear reader, i cannot believe that tom fulp has made a piconjo collection. call it abusive as you want, but you know that i am right. just check piconjo's other junk.

Completely off topic. The review space is not for contesting decisions made by the Nergrounds administration, especially ones that have such a frail connection to the content of the film you're supposed to be reviewing.

secondly may i ask what is wrong with you Piconjo? seriously why on earth did you made this film. LF is a great artist and does not deserve such a crappy film. you know that i am right.

Also off topic, the only on-topic criticism in this review was when your objection to the parody within which you wrote in a rude way. Even if the flash is mean-spirited, you still have to follow the review guidelines and not be excessively harsh and agressive in your review. There are plenty of non-abusive ways to point out that a flash wasn't very good without calling it "crappy."

Don't tell an author to stop making flashes. Reviews are for giving opinion and advice that encourages a flash author to improve. My advice to you if you find another flash that is purposefully hateful and of poor quality; don't bother dignifying it with a review.

Any questions?

BBS Signature

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-11-02 06:55:20

At 11/1/06 08:15 PM, Jercurpac wrote:
At 11/1/06 03:50 PM, SirPongo wrote: according to you people is this review abusive?

Completely off topic. The review space is not for contesting decisions made by the Nergrounds administration, especially ones that have such a frail connection to the content of the film you're supposed to be reviewing.

Also off topic, the only on-topic criticism in this review was when your objection to the parody within which you wrote in a rude way. Even if the flash is mean-spirited, you still have to follow the review guidelines and not be excessively harsh and agressive in your review. There are plenty of non-abusive ways to point out that a flash wasn't very good without calling it "crappy."

Don't tell an author to stop making flashes. Reviews are for giving opinion and advice that encourages a flash author to improve. My advice to you if you find another flash that is purposefully hateful and of poor quality; don't bother dignifying it with a review.

Any questions?

well its not a question but...... "crappy" isn't an abusive word as far as i can remember, "shitty" is.

secondly, i understand that telling an author to stop making flash is rude, but if you look at the "Foamy Confessions" or the "Piconjo's confessions" you will see why this guy should really stop.

i mean in the "foamy confessions" he makes foamy look like a gay. its ok if it were one or two flashes but him and illwillspoof went as to make over 12 disturbing false (since its not the original creator's work) confessions. their work has only made newgrounds worse. they even asked that users vote to a certain level of points so that they will stop making them (i can't recall which one it was, but i can assure you that there is)

now let me ask you the same thing that you asked me:

is there possibly any questions?

Response to Reviews being cleaned up. 2006-11-02 09:58:34

At 11/2/06 06:55 AM, SirPongo wrote: well its not a question but...... "crappy" isn't an abusive word as far as i can remember, "shitty" is.

It's all about context, delivered in the right manner calling a flash stupid can be abusive. There's no set guideline for deciding which words are more hateful than others, I've deleted plenty of reviews that don't have any curse words. Generally, if you don't have much to add beyond a swear than the review is abusive.

secondly, i understand that telling an author to stop making flash is rude, but if you look at the "Foamy Confessions" or the "Piconjo's confessions" you will see why this guy should really stop.

I never said your points aren't valid or that they shouldn't be discussed, but a review is not the place to do it. We have forums at your disposal if you think it's something worth talking about. All reviews are judged by the same guidelines regardless of the flash they're attatched to. If someone leaves an abusive review for "Blank Screen #2" they face the same review deletion and a ban as the person who left an abusive review for the current #1 ranked flash in the portal.

BBS Signature