00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LewgusWithFriends just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Anime Club

2,814,382 Views | 59,822 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-15 23:29:48

At 11/15/10 05:39 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:
At 11/15/10 04:04 PM, Mendou wrote: Naruto is a great series, I don't know what you guys are on about.
I could talk about Naruto and One Piece all day if it suited me

The main thing I want to talk about with these 2 is how did they get so popular in the first place, {other than the pirates vs. ninjas joke.} Probably because it's a manufactured Shonen Jump anime, designed for the masses in Japan, and has came to America. BTW, Naruto isn't that great of a series even for "casuals."

This group tends to frown on that though because they are 'casual' or 'shitty' series

Even though I'm not a fan of Naruto or One Piece, I don't know why so many people in this group have a lot of backlash towards "casual" anime, which the defeniton would depend on who you ask, IMO. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, If you don't like a certain anime series, that's fine and dandy, but at least give a good reason why.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-15 23:53:23

At 11/15/10 10:53 PM, UCanCallMeJesus wrote: Oh NOOEESSSSSSSS. FUCK it im not reading it anymore if those dam autistics like it.
</sarcasm>

Man, what the fuck? I was defending Naruto, you stupid fuck.

If you want to know what a terrible anime is, watch Bleach. And then drink bleach if you like it.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-16 03:27:24

Mendou. You and me. Right now. We get our mechs out and fight to the death.

I remember you liking the Qubeley. I'll kick your funnel using ass.

Anime Club

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-16 03:51:28

At 11/16/10 03:46 AM, Mendou wrote:
At 11/16/10 03:27 AM, Odio wrote:

I remember you liking the Qubeley. I'll kick your funnel using ass.
Pft, already beat you before this even started.

You're gonna go Psycho Gundam? Who do you think you are? Four Murasame?

This is what I do to laser spammers like you.

Anime Club

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-16 04:01:17

"Fagis - Putting the 'fag' back in 'faggotry'."

Ahahaha. Oh wow.

---

I just checked out the first episode (or first couple? I've never seen this Western double episode approach in anime before) of Panty & Stocking With Garterbelt. I don't understand the appeal.

It was just a bunch of bad scatological and sexual humour. In the second part, the sexual metaphor the characters kept going on about was just nonsense.

It's like they took the Powerpuff Girls, adultified it, and, in doing so, took away all of the humour. It just... Wasn't funny.

I don't know if it gets better or anything, but I didn't enjoy that episode at all.

Though it is good to see an anime that's trying something different with its style, even if it is just copying Western shows.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-16 10:06:27

okay i'm fed up with all the bickering, discussing the actual merits and shortcomings of all anime is what this thread is all about, but people arguing with each other are going to find themselves on the receiving end of increasingly long bans. I don't care who it is, you're all going to get banned indiscriminately.

Feel free to discuss the shortcomings of naruto, but the shortcomings of people in this club who like naruto.

================

Anyway, mendou's posts got deleted and we lost like 90 pages lmao

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-16 10:28:58

At 11/16/10 10:06 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: Anyway, mendou's posts got deleted

why

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-16 11:30:36

At 11/16/10 04:01 AM, Aigis wrote:

Though it is good to see an anime that's trying something different with its style, even if it is just copying Western shows.

Keep going if you'd like, I've been loving the past few episodes in particular. But I just find it funny because it's so ridiculous in the first place. That and I really enjoy how it's made, the second half of the first episode was amazing regarding the technical stuff.

At 11/16/10 10:28 AM, Odio wrote:
At 11/16/10 10:06 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: Anyway, mendou's posts got deleted
why

I requested that they were all deleted.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-16 13:21:52

At 11/16/10 11:30 AM, Mendou wrote: I requested that they were all deleted.

WHY

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-16 13:25:00

At 11/16/10 01:21 PM, Odio wrote:

WHY

Because I had to sacrifice them to save the world.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-16 13:32:34

At 11/16/10 01:25 PM, Mendou wrote: Because I had to sacrifice them to save the world.

Mendou: Savior of mankind.

If I were Haman Karn, you would be ballsdeep in me.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-16 13:59:32

At 11/16/10 01:32 PM, Odio wrote:

If I were Haman Karn, you would be ballsdeep in me.

Then why don't you become a Haman Karn?

Also, reminds me that I haven't watched Zeta or ZZ in ages. I should watch ZZ just because of the bluray rips.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-16 14:05:28

At 11/16/10 01:59 PM, Mendou wrote: Then why don't you become a Haman Karn?

I can't, I'm already Kamille Bidan. :(((((

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-16 16:44:24

At 11/15/10 04:06 PM, KermitTheMuppet wrote:
At 11/15/10 03:09 PM, SuBmIT95 wrote:
Hold on here.What do you have against me?
Did I say something bad to you?I don't think you are right here.
This is an anime club and Naruto Shippuuden is an anime plus I have the right to express my opinions so you can't tell me what to do or offend me without no reason. >:(
How dare you challenge my good judgment and authority.

Get out you fool, you're banned for life.

You know what I don't care what you think and I would normaly stay because you can't tell me what to do but since I don't wanna argue with people like you I'm out of this club.I hope you get banned someday about the way you talk and also I urge all people who like Naruto Shippuuden to hope for that to happen.Goodbye

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-16 17:03:33

At 11/16/10 04:58 PM, Bryan wrote:
At 11/15/10 11:53 PM, Odio wrote: If you want to know what a terrible anime is, watch Bleach. And then drink bleach if you like it.
I kind of like Bleach.

blank post

Anime Club

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-16 17:10:35

At 11/16/10 12:01 AM, KermitTheMuppet wrote:
At 11/15/10 11:29 PM, orangebomb wrote:
THEY AREN'T GOOD BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE ANY DECENT APPEAL, PRESENTATION, ANY DECENT ATTRACTION OR A SLIGHT SENSE OF ORIGINALITY. THEY'RE POORLY WRITTEN AND HAVE AWFUL PACE, THEY DON'T OFFER ANYTHING BUT A TYPICAL FORMAT WHICH MAY AS WELL HAVE BEEN FORMED IN FACTORIES. THEY'RE NOT FUNNY NOR ARE THEY SPECIAL OR UNIQUE IN ANY SENSE.

Actually, now that I think about it, I understand what you mean.

The thing is, I haven't been an anime fan for long really, at least, not nearly as long as you or Mendou. So for me, Naruto, One Piece, and all that shonen stuff is 'the standard'. It's what I watched first and what I've always been watching.

However, as I've begun to branch out I've found 'the standard' to be less and less of what I used to think it was. I will continue to follow these series simply because the stories and characters, although not breathtaking or necessarily inventive, hold sentimental value.

I feel lucky knowing that once these series end I can just go back in time essentially and watch much older anime and read older manga that reinvented 'the standard'. Even now, as I have begun reading Berserk, I'm finding this to be true.

It's only uphill for me.

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-16 17:56:49

At 11/16/10 05:10 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:

I feel lucky knowing that once these series end I can just go back in time essentially and watch much older anime and read older manga that reinvented 'the standard'. Even now, as I have begun reading Berserk, I'm finding this to be true.

It's only uphill for me.

Indeed, you'd be doing a massive disservice to yourself otherwise. There are countless great shows that get no attention, sadly.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-16 19:41:57

At 11/16/10 11:30 AM, Mendou wrote: Keep going if you'd like, I've been loving the past few episodes in particular. But I just find it funny because it's so ridiculous in the first place. That and I really enjoy how it's made, the second half of the first episode was amazing regarding the technical stuff.

The episode I watched did have some impressive animation in it. Though it was kinda offset by the abundance of lengthy single panel shots where nothing was moving aside from a couple of things essentially being tweened across the screen.

But unless the show gets funnier, I'm not really interested. There are plenty of ways I can see interesting animation without being bored by the actual content of a show.

At 11/16/10 12:15 PM, KermitTheMuppet wrote: That's what a certain argument sounds like with the intelligence earphones.

Being that I'm the only one that said something similar to that on this page, i'm going to assume you're referring to me.

I'm pretty sure I said it was a good thing.

Just because something is paying tribute doesn't mean that it's not copying. That's just how it's paying tribute. As the saying goes, 'imitation is the highest form of flattery'.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-17 00:54:21

At 11/16/10 05:10 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:
The thing is, I haven't been an anime fan for long really, at least, not nearly as long as you or Mendou. So for me, Naruto, One Piece, and all that shonen stuff is 'the standard'. It's what I watched first and what I've always been watching.

I can understand that from a sentimental point of view, although for me I tend to forget about most series once I either get bored or finish a series, with a few exceptions of course.

However, as I've begun to branch out I've found 'the standard' to be less and less of what I used to think it was. I will continue to follow these series simply because the stories and characters, although not breathtaking or necessarily inventive, hold sentimental value.

Like most things in life, anime changes with time. 15 years ago, Dragon Ball Z was considered the gold standard of anime, even though most of us were kids at the time, and we didn't know about other anime in the past. Then it was Naruto, CG etc. that raised the bar for anime today, and seems to be the most talked about in anime circles. It makes me wonder what the next blockbuster anime is coming out of Japan in the future.

It's only uphill for me.

Once you watch more anime, it only gets better from there, IMO.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-17 09:20:48

Well, I've had a lot of fun replaying Fate/stay Night. Just finished Unlimited Blade Works yesterday and it was fucking awesome. Shit was so DEEEEP and I can't wait to play Heaven's Feel.

Also, is that UBW film that DEEN did worth watching? Doesn't sound too good from what I've heard.

Anime Club

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-17 10:04:32

At 11/17/10 09:20 AM, towelie101 wrote: Well, I've had a lot of fun replaying Fate/stay Night.

I'm also eagerly awaiting the release of the English fan translation of Fate/hollow ataraxia, but it doesn't seem that it's going to be finished anytime soon, so I'm attempting to learn kanji (along with hiragana and katakana probably) in order to play it. I've gone through about 500 of them, but I'll admit this probably won't end well (me quitting later along the line); nonetheless, I'm still determined to try it.

Anime Club

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-17 12:13:37

At 11/17/10 10:04 AM, towelie101 wrote: so I'm attempting to learn kanji

Oh fuck, that is hard, even for me who can already speak fluently.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-17 15:49:40

hey guys, i just finished watching evangellion..... my head blew to bits at the end, and i didnt understand jack shit.

please explain to me what the fuck was going on there.

So how about dem mudkipz?

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-17 19:47:51

At 11/17/10 07:37 PM, LoliTastic wrote: I'm currently learning japanese and taking classes privately. I know katakana and hiragana but I need to learn alot more about the grammer particles and other stuff. But kanji seems pretty fun, and I already know a few. But it probably gets alot worse when you have to learn 2,000+.

You don't know what you're getting yourself into.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-17 23:04:10

At 11/17/10 10:04 AM, towelie101 wrote:
At 11/17/10 09:20 AM, towelie101 wrote: Well, I've had a lot of fun replaying Fate/stay Night.
I'm also eagerly awaiting the release of the English fan translation of Fate/hollow ataraxia, but it doesn't seem that it's going to be finished anytime soon, so I'm attempting to learn kanji (along with hiragana and katakana probably) in order to play it. I've gone through about 500 of them, but I'll admit this probably won't end well (me quitting later along the line); nonetheless, I'm still determined to try it.

I'm trying to understand kanji and the Japanese lanaguage too, although I'm using the Rosetta Stone thing, which I don't think is nessacarily better than formal classes, but I don't really have much time for formal classes, what with work and all. Good luck studying up on every kanji and other forms of Japanese, it will take a while.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-18 19:14:04

I like One Piece. It's what a shonen series should be. Definitely one of the best of this kind this generation. Nice fights, cool powers, raw emotion, romanticist as fuck, good plot, likeable characters, good defined setting, likeable author.

At least Oda lets you know what the fuck is going on, something Kishimoto and Kube are horrible at.

It's going through some walltext, though.

Of course, me liking this shonen doesn't deter me of liking much "classier" series.

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-18 20:11:33

At 11/17/10 03:49 PM, lifeofmystery wrote: hey guys, i just finished watching evangellion..... my head blew to bits at the end, and i didnt understand jack shit.

please explain to me what the fuck was going on there.

I haven't watched the original series, but I've heard that there are some follow-up movies that help explain the plot. You should try looking into that.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-18 23:48:20

Finished Bakemonogatari. I heavily enjoyed it. Tempted to check out the prequel, but I have to watch Angel Beats, Hajime no Ippo, and Captain Harlock first, the first two recommended by my IRL best friend and the latter by my internet best friend.

Because Hajime no Ippo has about 108 episodes, I forced my IRL best friend to watch LoGH. He better enjoy that shit. That is my favorite anime.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-19 10:49:36

At 11/17/10 12:13 PM, Odio wrote:
At 11/17/10 10:04 AM, towelie101 wrote: so I'm attempting to learn kanji
Oh fuck, that is hard, even for me who can already speak fluently.

Yeah, it's difficult, but I think I can get through it. The end result of this will certainly be worth it.

I imagine it's even harder to learn by yourself, like I'm doing. I have a quite a bit of resources, though, my folder for all of my stuff on the Japanese language is about 2 gigabytes, so maybe it won't be an impossible task for me to accomplish.

---------

Almost finished with Fate/stay Night's last route. I'm planning on reading Slam Dunk next.

Response to Anime Club 2010-11-19 12:15:12

Started watching mushishi, seems pretty neat.

BBS Signature