00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chyni just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

2,886,727 Views | 60,179 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-20 22:11:06

At 11/20/13 03:53 PM, PSvils wrote: Remembered that me and my friend had a tumblr. Here's the result of me and my fight with our render system. I was able to implement lighting without touching any internals (except a few bug fixes). Success.
http://themangomachine.tumblr.com/post/67587634122/new-project-implemented-a-simple-lighting

Sweet! Are you going to implement it further? Like, adding dynamic shadows?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-20 22:20:14

Let me know if you can come up with a better name for immobile things that you can click on the overworld. Like a save spot, a quest item, a door to a house, etc.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-20 23:10:41

At 11/20/13 10:20 PM, MSGhero wrote: Let me know if you can come up with a better name for immobile things that you can click on the overworld. Like a save spot, a quest item, a door to a house, etc.

"Entity" sounds immensely better.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-20 23:19:06

At 11/20/13 11:10 PM, Archawn wrote: "Entity" sounds immensely better.

Entity sounds more like a base class, and this will be down the inheritance tree.

blitsprite > blitwrapper > worldthing

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-21 00:48:12

At 11/20/13 11:19 PM, MSGhero wrote: Entity sounds more like a base class, and this will be down the inheritance tree.

Also i'd think of an entity as something that has life.

Programming stuffs (tutorials and extras)

PM me (instead of MintPaw) if you're confuzzled.

thank Skaren for the sig :P

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-21 13:16:12

At 11/21/13 12:58 PM, Innermike wrote:
This is the only correct answer

I would also accept either chimichangas or tacos.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-21 13:52:01

At 11/20/13 02:56 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: guys I announced a new game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS9O1t6nywY

Awesome! Want to buy

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-21 14:02:57

At 11/21/13 01:52 PM, Rustygames wrote: Awesome! Want to buy

I had a sudden flashback from the old WoW days when I read that.

"WTB Bombernaut 5G, have mats PM only plz"

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-21 18:38:05

I honestly cannot fathom the amount of stupid...

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-22 21:36:24

People, may I ask for your opinion?

I have a 17k lines of code game written in ActionScript 2.0 which is very slow.

Will translating it to ActionScript 3.0 and publishing it as SWF v10.1 (through FlashDevelop: Flash+Flex development pipeline) increase its framerate?
Will it further increase the framerate if rewrite it for Starling?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-22 21:54:31

At 11/22/13 09:36 PM, kkots wrote: People, may I ask for your opinion?

I have a 17k lines of code game written in ActionScript 2.0 which is very slow.

Will translating it to ActionScript 3.0 and publishing it as SWF v10.1 (through FlashDevelop: Flash+Flex development pipeline) increase its framerate?
Will it further increase the framerate if rewrite it for Starling?

As3 is faster than as2 on average. I mean, fp10.2 is way faster than fp9, so as3 should be even more fast...er. Starling could make it faster, but starling also uses plenty of resources. My game uses partial blitting and uses basically 0 frame time, while starling would take up a larger part of the frame time. I don't need starling, but maybe you do.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-22 22:01:10

At 11/22/13 09:54 PM, MSGhero wrote: As3 is faster than as2 on average. I mean, fp10.2 is way faster than fp9, so as3 should be even more fast...er. Starling could make it faster, but starling also uses plenty of resources. My game uses partial blitting and uses basically 0 frame time, while starling would take up a larger part of the frame time. I don't need starling, but maybe you do.

Thanks for the advice. I was, in particular, interested in Starling, as redoing the code for it would probably take considerable amounts of time and I wanted to make sure it'd be worth it. Since it's not obvious, will have to do performance tests.
Or I'll do it just for fun and to get more educated about how to use it!.. XD

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-23 12:07:46

At 11/23/13 05:02 AM, Innermike wrote: One thing that gets me down though, after months I still can't get fonts to work with OpenFL(nme) which sux.

Whoah. Your post count is exactly 4000, and this post is your latest.
Congratulations :D

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-23 12:14:15

At 11/14/13 07:34 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote:
At 11/14/13 04:34 PM, Rustygames wrote:
At 11/14/13 03:57 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: Generate a graph from a dictionary (link all words which differ by 1 letter to each other).
Run Dijkstra's algorithm on it.

i dont feel like coding it but that works
I like it. Why not A* though?
dijkstra's easier to implement and you can do it with a queue instead of a priority queue. optimize later if its actually slow (probably wont be slow)

Dijkstra and A* are both pretty easy to implement. I'm sure someone coded a priority queue already and if someone hasn't - it's just a min-heap. You need a union-join to do Dijkstra properly if you're not using a min-heap anyway iirc.

For A* you need a heuristic. All of them are rather simple to implement (and I'm sure people have already done that for you :)).

Anyway, what's up dude? I haven't been here in like 3 years - how has everyone been?

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-23 13:14:37

At 11/23/13 12:14 PM, Inglor wrote: Anyway, what's up dude? I haven't been here in like 3 years - how has everyone been?

I've heard legends of you...you're the one who e-raped toast.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-23 16:28:16

At 11/23/13 05:02 AM, Innermike wrote: That's probably the main reason I've never really felt compelled to use Starling, I mean you just use movieclips/sprites and stuff but it secretly uses Stage3D to boost performance right?

It's considerably faster than blitting in my experience. If your game is simple then you probably don't need it. The downside is that you have to use texture atlases instead of MovieClips imported from the flash authoring tool. It does have a MovieClip class that behaves like the native MovieClip Class, but it must be populated with sprites from a texture atlas.

I have built a tool in Adobe AIR for a side-project I'm working on which can convert a MovieClip built in the Flash authoring tool into a texture atlas in an optimized way. It stores tweens in an animation data file rather than saving an extra sprite for each tweened frame like the native spritesheet exporter does. This means you could use MovieClips in flash for Starling projects, Unity projects, or any GPU-oriented project. I want to clean it up and open source it once I have some extra time.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-23 17:10:02

At 11/23/13 04:28 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: I want to clean it up and open source it once I have some extra time.

I use this when I have to mc -> spritesheet. Though, it doesn't crop the frames, so there's a lot of empty space in the sheets.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-23 20:30:04

At 11/23/13 01:14 PM, MSGhero wrote: I've heard legends of you...you're the one who e-raped toast.

Yes, yes I have. I even have proof attached of one time we pranked him. Good times - fing killing me.

At 11/23/13 01:57 PM, Innermike wrote: @Inglor How's jmtb? I saw him in here all the time like a year before I started posting the Reg Lounge. Last time I heard his was chilling at armourgames.

I have no idea I haven't spoken to him in ages. Talked to Dan not to long ago and it seems like everything is going well in Armor Games. Communities have a tendency to wear members out eventually - you can try emailing him.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-24 05:17:55

At 11/23/13 08:30 PM, Inglor wrote:
At 11/23/13 01:14 PM, MSGhero wrote: I've heard legends of you...you're the one who e-raped toast.
Yes, yes I have. I even have proof attached of one time we pranked him. Good times - fing killing me.

LMAO!

This is golden. Oh god.. I had no idea it had gone that far, and I didn't even know you were involved in it. Just remembered it as ninja-chicken being an ass and messing with me (but that's nothing new). Looks like the animator took it a pinch more seriously than me. I'm sure NC will have an even bigger laugh than me when he sees this. I'm split between laughter and butthurt :P

I'm relieved that this is the prank you were referring to. I was scared you might still have screenshots of that time you asked me to make an "adult game" on behalf of NG on your fake tomfulp msn. I remember trying to break the news for my family and trying to conceal the nature of the game .. hahaha. I was really in a moral quandary, you fucking took your time to tell me it was a joke.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-24 05:43:30

At 11/24/13 05:17 AM, Toast wrote:
At 11/23/13 08:30 PM, Inglor wrote:
LMAO!

This is golden. Oh god.. I had no idea it had gone that far, and I didn't even know you were involved in it. Just remembered it as ninja-chicken being an ass and messing with me (but that's nothing new). Looks like the animator took it a pinch more seriously than me. I'm sure NC will have an even bigger laugh than me when he sees this. I'm split between laughter and butthurt :P

I'm relieved that this is the prank you were referring to. I was scared you might still have screenshots of that time you asked me to make an "adult game" on behalf of NG on your fake tomfulp msn. I remember trying to break the news for my family and trying to conceal the nature of the game .. hahaha. I was really in a moral quandary, you fucking took your time to tell me it was a joke.

Ha wait what is this? Are half of the posts deleted from that topic or something?
I can't remember this at all, what happened?

Oh we did get up to some shenanigans didn't we; Inglor was the "grown-up" of the forum at the time (we were all prepubescent) and all he did was tricked us into doing stupid shit XD

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-24 09:59:28

At 11/24/13 05:43 AM, Rustygames wrote: Oh we did get up to some shenanigans didn't we; Inglor was the "grown-up" of the forum at the time (we were all prepubescent) and all he did was tricked us into doing stupid shit XD

You were such a little shit during your ninja-chicken days. I rarely hate anyone on this site but i hated you <3

Also Toast was a little shit too, but since meeting him it opened up a new door i suppose, more serious and reserved than i thought. Or he finally grew up or something. hmph

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-24 10:13:19

At 11/24/13 09:59 AM, Luis wrote: You were such a little shit during your ninja-chicken days. I rarely hate anyone on this site but i hated you <3

I was indeed. I was young, I do apologize :)

- Matt, Rustyarcade.com

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-24 14:02:24

At 11/23/13 05:10 PM, MSGhero wrote:
At 11/23/13 04:28 PM, PrettyMuchBryce wrote: I want to clean it up and open source it once I have some extra time.
I use this when I have to mc -> spritesheet. Though, it doesn't crop the frames, so there's a lot of empty space in the sheets.

Mine relies on TexturePacker for packing the actual textures. Mine also supports animation swapping. Similar to the way you might have a character with a "head" MovieClip which might have multiple frames for each type of head. Normally you could just gotoAndStop on each frame to change his head. Mine has a feature similar to this. Otherwise what I have built is basically the same as this tool you posted. Infact I wish I would have known that it existed. It probably would have saved me time.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-24 15:01:56

At 11/24/13 09:59 AM, Luis wrote: Also Toast was a little shit too, but since meeting him it opened up a new door i suppose, more serious and reserved than i thought. Or he finally grew up or something. hmph

There there - we were all little shits. Also, I can't believe they took your lollipop.

Few years later I just want to say I value you as an artist and animator and it was an honor to discuss stupid shit with you :)

At 11/24/13 05:17 AM, Toast wrote: I'm relieved that this is the prank you were referring to.

I can always post your UCFD application ^_^

Well - here is you bitching after Dan Paladin banned you and I had to email Tom to get you unbanned :) I can keep em coming.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-24 15:59:17

At 11/24/13 03:01 PM, Inglor wrote: There there - we were all little shits. Also, I can't believe they took your lollipop.

The best part is this site keeps a record of everything we all said almost 10 years ago!

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-24 16:47:01

At 11/24/13 03:59 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote:
At 11/24/13 03:01 PM, Inglor wrote: There there - we were all little shits. Also, I can't believe they took your lollipop.
The best part is this site keeps a record of everything we all said almost 10 years ago!

Yeah I've read some of Rustygame's early posts, and I have to say that he was a huge troll at that time.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-24 17:00:00

At 11/24/13 03:59 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: The best part is this site keeps a record of everything we all said almost 10 years ago!

Hey man! How have you been? Still making games?

Honestly - I ain't got shit on you, you're as clean as a baby :) Just a bunch of never released swfs and stuff.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-24 17:42:06

At 11/24/13 05:00 PM, Inglor wrote:
At 11/24/13 03:59 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: The best part is this site keeps a record of everything we all said almost 10 years ago!
Hey man! How have you been? Still making games?

of course, just steam games now instead of flash games (plus some game jam stuff), see http://bombernauts.com/

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-25 15:38:18

Story of this rpg:

"Wait...with two extra lines here, I can remove a hundred lines there."

"I mean, I guess that's possible. Idk."

"Wait, what? How did that work?"

" // not sure how this works, don't touch"

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2013-11-26 00:26:08

well, THIS doesn't make any sense... ?

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

BBS Signature