00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Someone gifted Ramen-Noodiles supporter status!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

2,902,039 Views | 60,179 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-10-04 15:04:59

At 10/4/08 03:00 PM, ArthurGhostly wrote: Wow, dude, that thing is a gem.
Can't see how that got overlooked..

I know, it didn't even get a daily award...
Pretty amazing if you ask me.
It was submitted in 2005, too.
That was GREAT animation in 2005...

Let's hope i win, that $250 will probably
be gas money lol.

what

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-10-04 15:05:35

At 10/4/08 02:54 PM, K-Guare wrote: I thought thats what Avogadro's Number was for...
(6.02 x 10^24)
But thats still about only 1/4 of a googol, so i guess you guys are right.
I'll stop trying to sound smart now.

"The Shannon number, 10^120, is an estimated lower bound on the game-tree complexity of chess"

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-10-04 15:06:38

At 10/4/08 02:54 PM, K-Guare wrote: But thats still about only 1/4 of a googol, so i guess you guys are right.

it's not 1/4th of a googol, it's 1/(10^76) of a googol, which is a lot smaller than 1/4th, and essentially meaningless cause it's smaller than the smallest possible distance that can separate 2 physics objects (which is somewhere on the order of magnitude of 10^-35)

Quick! Someone calculate roughly the amount of possible configurations of all the particles in the universe if they are arranged in a straight line, one right after each other.

That's what big numbers are used for.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-10-04 15:06:58

At 10/4/08 02:54 PM, K-Guare wrote: I thought thats what Avogadro's Number was for...
(6.02 x 10^24)

That's for working out the amount of atoms/molecules in a mole of an element. And it's 10^23 ;).

Buried Treasure

I might do a bit of hunting tomorrow. Find me some loot, and hopefully cash ;P.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-10-04 15:08:03

At 10/4/08 02:14 PM, SpamBurger wrote:
At 10/4/08 01:59 PM, BrotherToast wrote: if something like the sun exploding can wipe out the whole solar system easily, imagine something 2,600 bigger than the sun
Yea, but the difference between that star and the sun, is that the sun is only 8 light minutes away from us, while the giant star is over 5000 light years away from us. It's explosion wouldn't affect us much...

yes but something so incredibly huge would obviously have a larger effect than only destroying everything in its reach. even planets that are not directly affected by it will be affected eventually through the explosion of the star and all the thousands of planets / stars that are destroyed. it could probably create a huge chain reaction effect that will eventually reach our galaxy, couldn't it?

googols
if a pinhead is approximately 1million atoms aka 10^6, and a googol is 10^100, then:
there are 10^100 / 10^6 pinheads in a googol
which approximately equals 10^16.5 pinheads
which is approximately 10000000000000000

unfortunately my brain cannot conceptualize visually the difference between a pinhead and the universe, or 10^16.5 pinheads, but 10^16.5 still sounds like a whole damn lot of pinheads.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-10-04 15:10:35

At 10/4/08 02:54 PM, K-Guare wrote: Mug hug

Oh wow. I absolutely loved that movie! Hope you do win, cause that is quite a find.

I love the facial expressions of that mug <3

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-10-04 15:12:56

At 10/4/08 03:08 PM, BrotherToast wrote: there are 10^100 / 10^6 pinheads in a googol

10^100/10^6 = 10^94, not 10^16.5. HUGGGGEEEEE difference there.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-10-04 15:13:06

reg hunt and new submition link

well everubody that wasn't here when awesome shirturtle (nick) was here probobly didn't see this..
This site gets better and better all the time...cutting edge lol
painball
Today i played a bb gun war with proffesional weapons and bullets (the bullets fly at 90 meter per second) yo pat about 33 dollar for 4-5 hours, limitless ammo and all you have on you is the close you bring and a mask to protect you face...it was legendry =]

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-10-04 15:21:07

At 10/4/08 03:06 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote:
At 10/4/08 02:54 PM, K-Guare wrote: But thats still about only 1/4 of a googol, so i guess you guys are right.
it's not 1/4th of a googol, it's 1/(10^76) of a googol, which is a lot smaller than 1/4th, and essentially meaningless cause it's smaller than the smallest possible distance that can separate 2 physics objects (which is somewhere on the order of magnitude of 10^-35)

Arg, i figured since 1 Googol = 1.00 x 10^100, and
Avogadros Number = 6.02 x 10^23,
since 23 is about 1/4 of 100, eh thats what i figured...but oh well,
i'm not the smartest crayon in the bunch.

At 10/4/08 03:06 PM, Depredation wrote: That's for working out the amount of atoms/molecules in a mole of an element. And it's 10^23 ;).

Arg, i knew something was wrong.
I haven't had Chemistry class in forever, so...
Congratulations, you and Glaiel-Gamer both know more about science than i do. :]

At 10/4/08 03:10 PM, Coolio-Niato wrote: Oh wow. I absolutely loved that movie! Hope you do win, cause that is quite a find.

Haha, hopefully. :]
I loved almost everything about it, a great movie indeed.

You guys are cool, i don't know why i never visit the Reg Lounge...
I think i'm going to fix that. :]

what

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-10-04 15:21:52

sorry for doublle but i had to post this
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/9773 60
this is funny in so many ways...but it sucks that it was a good idea...it should be opend by someone with
a ba of 3.5
P.S
toast in that case i think that you are jewish...and by the way a lot of jews don't belive in god so...

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-10-04 15:24:45

At 10/4/08 03:12 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote:
At 10/4/08 03:08 PM, BrotherToast wrote: there are 10^100 / 10^6 pinheads in a googol
10^100/10^6 = 10^94, not 10^16.5. HUGGGGEEEEE difference there.

whoops lol. i see your point here, and i see why i got it wrong and why many people who haven't studied maths much have problems with powers. that was a quite embarassing mistake though

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-10-04 15:25:30

At 10/4/08 03:21 PM, patu1 wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/9773 60

I almost made a post there, but couldn't think of anything to say.

toast in that case i think that you are jewish...

Well it's not nice to assume.. :/

and by the way a lot of jews don't belive in god so...

Jewish people do believe in God, but they don't believe in Jesus.

what

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-10-04 15:30:27

The math teaching methods at school are really bad. I have the reputation in my class of being extremely pro at maths but then I come here on the internet and I'm just a little nooby. i don't know if it makes any sense - but they teach us maths as a subjective concept and not as a logical given. for example i see x^w / y^z so for some reason in my head I divide the powers which makes no sense because

10x10x10x10x10

is just like removing two tens from the divider and dividee resulting in

10x10x10
____

which is 10^3, and not 10^2.5

i blame school

but seriously, subjects like this really interest me. I love mathematical and physical problems and paradoxes, but I feel like I'm given the wrong schools to deal with them at school. maybe one day we could make some really nerdy "maths club" on the forums lol. it's too bad that liking maths automatically makes you a "geek" in society; i find it fascinating.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-10-04 15:36:25

internet maths
i would really love to do the idea mentioned above with glaiel delta and gust.... well, maybe not gust :p. but i feel like there's so much stuff that i could learn from you guys that would interest me a lot.

judaism
There is a general confusion in the distinction between judaism as a religion, implying the belief in a deity; and judaism as a culture, referring to the people who were originally part of the religion, but doesn't necessarily imply a belief in anything, except a general pride in the culture. If I had to categorise myself in a religion to identify my culture it would be, if not atheism, then judaism. Obviously I feel closer to jews than muslims or whatnot because I'm israeli, which is primarily a jewish country. I, however, do not believe in any part of the torah or a deity in general.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-10-04 15:43:25

At 10/4/08 03:36 PM, Toast wrote: i would really love to do the idea mentioned above with glaiel delta and gust.... well, maybe not gust :p. but i feel like there's so much stuff that i could learn from you guys that would interest me a lot.

Same here.
And same about what you said earlier,
i'm also great at math at school, but here i'm just a novice.

Someone teach us some difficult maths. :]

what

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-10-04 16:08:48

i would really love to do the idea mentioned above with glaiel delta and gust.... well, maybe not gust :p. but i feel like there's so much stuff that i could learn from you guys that would interest me a lot.

Learning what delta knows would be like trying to cram an entire dictionary into your head. It just comes to him naturally, lucky fecker. But still, there's a lot we could learn from you guys, as with toast, I'm immensely fascinated in maths. I'm a logical person though, if i see something i don't know, I'll apply what knowledge i have and try and work it out. Anyway, if you ever do a "class", i'm sure half of the coders on the site would attend.

judaism
There is a general confusion in the distinction between judaism as a religion, implying the belief in a deity; and judaism as a culture, referring to the people who were originally part of the religion, but doesn't necessarily imply a belief in anything, except a general pride in the culture.

I have such a boring heritage compared to you. I understand what you're saying, but surely the jewish way of life must involve some religion on some level?

Maths

Again, i agree with toast. I'd rather be tought the logic behind how something works rather than learn that how. If you know why you can manipulate it, change it to work out something else. One good example is trigonometry, we are just taught that cos, tan, sin etc all work, not why. Another is PI, all i've been taught is that it's a fraction, and that's all i apparently need to know. I'd really like to learn some of the actual maths behind these things from school, rather than researching them elsewhere.

This has been a public toast agreement.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-10-04 16:20:30

At 10/4/08 04:08 PM, Depredation wrote: Learning what delta knows would be like trying to cram an entire dictionary into your head. It just comes to him naturally, lucky fecker. But still, there's a lot we could learn from you guys, as with toast, I'm immensely fascinated in maths. I'm a logical person though, if i see something i don't know, I'll apply what knowledge i have and try and work it out. Anyway, if you ever do a "class", i'm sure half of the coders on the site would attend.

it sounds like one of those ideas that everyone's excited about and then someone makes a thread about it and it dies after 2 pages. I really think we should give it a shot though, or maybe I'm just too lazy to open my eyes to the internet and found that there are already thousands of forums that cover that subject.

judaism
I have such a boring heritage compared to you. I understand what you're saying, but surely the jewish way of life must involve some religion on some level?

Nah I don't do any jewish stuff in my life. Doesn't matter what religion it is, I just think that if there is a certain group of people that generally live together for thousands of years, in the outcome you will probably find more common links between me and another person who is not part of the jewish religion, but of the jewish "culture" (aka a decent of jewish people) than with some chinese guy or whatnot. at least that's the way I see it.

Maths

Again, i agree with toast. I'd rather be tought the logic behind how something works rather than learn that how. If you know why you can manipulate it, change it to work out something else. One good example is trigonometry, we are just taught that cos, tan, sin etc all work, not why. Another is PI, all i've been taught is that it's a fraction, and that's all i apparently need to know. I'd really like to learn some of the actual maths behind these things from school, rather than researching them elsewhere.

I'm interested about both the "how" and the "why. After 3 years of using flash as a coding tool I realise that a lot of time when I learn things, I imagine it would be a lot easier for me if someone just gave me the source code of how it works. Like, in order to understand the universe, I'd rather just have the "42" than a 100 hours boring lesson from some teacher. For example, last year I found myself baffled by all the explanations in written, numerical, and graphical form that the teacher gave us just to explain functions. i just wrote
function func(x,y,n){
return x*y+n;
}
instead of all the things she wrote for x -> 0.5x or x -> 4x+2

on my notebook without bothering to listen for her other explanations, because once you have the source formula for something you generally know everything you need to know about it. I may be wrong about, but whatever.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-10-04 16:22:34

At 10/4/08 04:08 PM, Depredation wrote: Maths

We all agree with toast :3

Although I know why most formula I need to know work now, since starting AS maths seeing as our teacher makes sure she explains why and not just how to use it which is a lot better.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-10-04 16:36:09

well how about i start a thread about it? I got the Math exercise books from all the way from 9th grade to last grade (12th?) that my brother left. maybe i could look up some stuff that i dont understand there and post it in the thread, then more experienced people can answer and exlpain while the others learn from it.

good idea yes / no?

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-10-04 16:42:11

At 10/4/08 04:36 PM, Toast wrote: good idea yes / no?

MMHMMM. Sounds good, there may be some i can answer. I'm up for a challenge ;D.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-10-04 16:50:34

At 10/4/08 04:36 PM, Toast wrote: good idea yes / no?

Post maths problems too which we can solve for the fun of it :3

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-10-04 16:54:39

very unnoticed, but pretty cool..

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-10-04 17:05:33

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-10-04 17:10:11

At 10/4/08 05:05 PM, x-factor11 wrote: portal recession much?
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/46 3070

Ahh, man.
I thought that was a blam point for sure.
Some people these days...

what

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-10-04 17:15:43

actually, looking at google trends, we've lost quite a bit of activity
:O

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-10-04 17:20:33

At 10/4/08 05:15 PM, x-factor11 wrote: actually, looking at google trends, we've lost quite a bit of activity
O

Google trends shows what people are searching for, not sites. If you search "newgrounds" you'll see its pretty steady.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-10-04 17:24:48

Yeah I'm like a genius at my school but on here I feel like an 8 year old :/ I got 139/150 in my SAT'S last year which was joint 3rd in my school. A random girl got 149/150 0o

I would be game for that maths thing. Even though we're setted at school the rest of my class slow me down since I'm not in the gifted class (due to me being stupid way back in year 7?!?)

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-10-04 17:25:37

At 10/4/08 05:20 PM, UnknownFury wrote:
At 10/4/08 05:15 PM, x-factor11 wrote: actually, looking at google trends, we've lost quite a bit of activity
O
Google trends shows what people are searching for, not sites. If you search "newgrounds" you'll see its pretty steady.

It's going down here though, albeit only slightly.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-10-04 17:39:22

At 10/4/08 05:25 PM, Xeptic wrote: It's going down here though, albeit only slightly.

check out the statistics for google, yahoo, youtube etc. They all seem to be going down :/

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2008-10-04 17:41:52

At 10/4/08 04:58 PM, ArthurGhostly wrote:
At 10/4/08 04:50 PM, UnknownFury wrote: Post maths problems too which we can solve for the fun of it :3
I'll never know how people can entertain themselves with number crunching.
I can't imagine there being much space for creativity.

Don't try to use the subjectivity of your personality to reason what other people like.

At 10/4/08 04:58 PM, ArthurGhostly wrote:
At 10/4/08 04:50 PM, UnknownFury wrote: Post maths problems too which we can solve for the fun of it :3
I'll never know how people can entertain themselves with number crunching. First of all, there IS space for creativity in solving problems, whether it be maths or not. Try to search for some complicated problems and the solutions, you'll see that everyone uses different patterns and thought trails to find the solution. Secondly, it's not all about creativity. Your subjectivity might lead you to think that there's no fun when there's no creativity, but I would be happy to solve something complicated even if I wasn't "creative".

You like vaginas, I like penises. Why? who knows. some people prefer to do things that other people don't.

im not gay, it was just an analogy :x

BBS Signature