00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LewgusWithFriends just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Photography

134,564 Views | 1,893 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Photography 2006-09-26 13:38:17

Here's another, in the previous photo this car had been moved over the road..

Photography

Response to Photography 2006-09-26 16:18:59

At 9/26/06 01:38 PM, Zach wrote: Here's another, in the previous photo this car had been moved over the road..

Wow, that must've been so scary. Glad you're okay!

Response to Photography 2006-09-27 04:54:06

At 9/26/06 01:36 PM, Zach wrote: Sorry I've not been very active, I was away this weekend, then I was ill, then to top it off today I was in a car crash while out with some mates from college taking photos. I'm not injured, got a bad back and neck so going to the doctors, but I got some shots of the cars.
I didn't take many, and they're not too arty but here you go..

Shaite, best of luck to you, man. I hope everything's ok.

And I don't want to spend much time arguing with the fine Mr. Kupa, but I definitely disagree with you. Whereas it may be easier to capture a staged scene than, say, painting or drawing, the beauty of photography is finding moments that only occur for an instant and preserving that moment permanently. The first inclination when starting off is to take close up photos of your car or your pencils and expect people to be impressed. To me, that's rubbish, but I did the same thing. On the contrary, it's not easy to go into a war-torn city and tell the entire story with a single frame. Although painting debatably takes more hand-eye coordination, imagination, and training, photography has the element of TIMING that is absent from all other visual mediums.

A bug on a flower may be generic, but it's exceedingly difficult to find naturally. What are the chances of a perfect specimen of insect feeding on a perfect specimen of flower while being perfectly composed and perfectly in focus? Photoshopping that all together isn't photography, it's digital art, so don't make that claim. How often do you make a perfect drawing the first time? Have you ever tried to take decent sports, insect, or bird photos? Jesus, you have no idea how difficult it is.

Another thing photography has going against it is the simplicity involved in taking a number of bad pictures and distributing them. Claiming that the abundance of stuff you see is quality photography is like looking at 90% of deviantart anime and saying that it's art.

I'm also coming from a background of mostly drawing (hence my screenname). However, in the past year I've gotten significantly more involved with both figure drawing and photography, and I consider them equally challenging. I also consider myself very amateur in both mediums, and it's taken a lot of hard work and dedication to get even this far. I think it's offensive to claim that one form of expression is superior to another because everything has inherent flaws and advantages. Life's just not that simple :)

Would you happen to have your competition photography available to share, since this is the photography thread, after all?

Response to Photography 2006-09-27 11:28:58

At 9/26/06 11:43 AM, wwwyzzerdd wrote: I feel sort of bad for throwing that roly-poly into the spider web just to get a picture.

Thats a very sharp shot what sorta camera do you use??? but anyways nice shot...

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Photography 2006-09-27 14:31:54

Here is my only decent photo that I took, I cropped it a bit but its the moment that counts....

Photography

Response to Photography 2006-09-27 18:54:42

Fuck yyyyyou strech/skew

Photography

Response to Photography 2006-09-27 20:48:39

I love this one

Photography

Response to Photography 2006-09-27 22:31:26

At 9/27/06 06:54 PM, Truth wrote: Fuck yyyyyou strech/skew

I like the colors in this one... nice.

At 9/27/06 09:45 PM, LittleMissVixen wrote: I took all of these pictures during the course of a year in the exact same spot. I put them together sloppily, but when I have more time I'll probably edit it to make it look a bit nicer.

Whew, awesome! I would probably forget about the whole thing a few weeks after taking the first picture. Nice job!

Response to Photography 2006-09-28 13:30:39

At 9/27/06 09:45 PM, LittleMissVixen wrote: I took all of these pictures during the course of a year in the exact same spot. I put them together sloppily, but when I have more time I'll probably edit it to make it look a bit nicer.

That was a nice idea, i would do that but it just dont snow here in california haha, but nice photo anyways...

~X~

~X~ (FOLLOW-ME)

[] The Top Reviewer Since 2002 [] COMIC >> WAYNES WORLD

BBS Signature

Response to Photography 2006-09-28 13:57:06

At 9/28/06 01:30 PM, XwaynecoltX wrote: That was a nice idea, i would do that but it just dont snow here in california haha, but nice photo anyways...

Well, at least where you live probably. We have some snow, when we're not busy hanging out with movie stars and surfing.

Hi there!

BBS Signature

Response to Photography 2006-09-28 15:14:48

Who here owns digital SLRs? Watcha got? I really need to pick one up sometime, but I'm thinking of going used. I can't spend more than $1k... Really want to stick with Canon too, so looking at one of the Rebels....

A smartshop in Amsterdam:

Photography

The one thing force produces is resistance.

BBS Signature

Response to Photography 2006-09-28 20:08:44

woah

MY E-PENIS IS BIGGER THAN YOURS

8=================================>

...and this is my fag...

BBS Signature

Response to Photography 2006-09-28 22:58:22

At 9/28/06 03:14 PM, RedSkunk wrote: Who here owns digital SLRs? Watcha got?

I bought a Rebel XT about a year ago. I love this camera, but you really should go around and hold the cameras you're interested in... that's basically the only difference between Nikon, Canon, and Olympus. Once you find your brand (Canon or Nikon) you end up sticking with it forever. From what I've read, Canon has a slight picture quality advantage, but Nikon has better build quality in its cheap DSLRs.

I also bought 4 lenses.

Primary:
Tamron 28-75 2.8 XR DI ($350)
Canon 70-200L F/4.0 ($590)
Canon 50 1.8 ($80)

Sitting around:
Tamron 75-300 ($130)

I'd recommend getting the kit lens and the 50/1.8 if you're going Canon. People say that the kit lens is crap, but it's really hard to find a good wide-angle lens for under $400. Once you find your needs and have more money, you can invest in another, better one. Fun fun.

Response to Photography 2006-09-29 01:27:31

At 9/27/06 11:28 AM, XwaynecoltX wrote: Thats a very sharp shot what sorta camera do you use??? but anyways nice shot...
~X~

Sony DSC-W30. I usually cheat and add sharpness to pictures in Photoshop.

I'd take some more pics, but it appears that Stealth Ninjas have taken over my bedroom. I can't even change clothes, because he's blocking the enterance to my closet.

Photography

BBS Signature

Response to Photography 2006-09-29 15:06:30

At 9/28/06 08:23 PM, djx2d wrote: so all the pictures i scan tru my parents scanner ( yeah i still ive with my mom... only fo a little while more :) )all the pictures from their scanner are all... shiny... maybe if i got off my ass and devolped them my self instead of giveing them to wal mart... hehe

Try requesting a matte finish from where ever you get them developed. And I don't know, but I wouldn't trust Wal-Mart to properly develop my photos. Also, if you're doing color film, chances are you don't want to be developing 'em. Big PITA.

At 9/28/06 10:58 PM, Doodler wrote: I bought a Rebel XT about a year ago. I love this camera, but you really should go around and hold the cameras you're interested in... that's basically the only difference between Nikon, Canon, and Olympus. Once you find your brand (Canon or Nikon) you end up sticking with it forever.

Yeah, I know. I currently have a Rebel Ti and a PowerShot A510. Sticking with Canon will let me use my existing lenses. Thus why I said I'll prolly go with a digi Rebel. =P

All of these pics of mine are just being pulled off of my flickr page. If any of you don't have a flickr account, then you're hosers.

Photography

The one thing force produces is resistance.

BBS Signature

Response to Photography 2006-09-29 17:53:51

9 stickers

Photography

Response to Photography 2006-09-29 17:57:47

I wish this was my gf-fl

Photography

Response to Photography 2006-09-29 18:00:46

Finally!

Photography

Response to Photography 2006-09-29 18:02:32

Dude those look awsome are you learing phootography?

Response to Photography 2006-09-29 18:06:55

At 9/29/06 06:02 PM, ReviwMan1000 wrote: Dude those look awsome are you learing phootography?

Thanks, are you learning grammar, puncuation?
joking yeah I take classes tuesdays 7:00-9:00.
It's on photography and photoshop.
=).

and back again...uggh...

Photography

Response to Photography 2006-09-29 18:24:30

Been wanting to take a pic like this

its pretty much a snapshot though

Photography

Response to Photography 2006-09-29 22:01:01

At 9/29/06 06:06 PM, Truth wrote:
At 9/29/06 06:02 PM, ReviwMan1000 wrote: Dude those look awsome are you learing phootography?
Thanks, are you learning grammar, puncuation?
joking yeah I take classes tuesdays 7:00-9:00.
It's on photography and photoshop.
=).

and back again...uggh...

Nice one!

Response to Photography 2006-09-29 23:09:49

NG

tanks

Response to Photography 2006-09-30 00:08:26

I'm not digging it
the angle is just all wrong

Response to Photography 2006-09-30 00:32:28

These are some awsome photos all. thought I'd share some of my own. the floida sun was beautiful today. caught her just beyond a weeping willow tree as she was going down for the night.

Photography

Response to Photography 2006-09-30 02:47:06

Hmm, not to be overly critical, but you guys have some focusing issues with many of these shots. The ideas are good but you're suffering from a lot of technical issues that are kind of impeding the execution of your work.

http://www.macdevcen..digi_photo_tips.html

Here's a decent list of tips of taking digital photography. Other sites like http://www.dpreview.com and http://www.istockphoto.com have good forums for improving your photos.

I hope I'm not sounding pretentious, but I'm very picky and very technical about aesthetics. I've only been doing photography seriously for a year, too, so I'm in the same pit as everyone else. I think having high standards will only help the groups, so consider it that way :)

I also started a thread about digital photo tips on another forum... check it out, I hope it gives you some inspiration.
http://board.shodown..viewtopic.php?t=6450

This monday I also took some photos for a class. If you are still reading this (haha), check em out, and let me know what you think. They aren't very artsy but I think they came out OK. I haven't done ... well... any concert/show photography before so this was kind of an experiment.

http://projects.diml..media/photos/092506/

Photography

Response to Photography 2006-09-30 13:33:04

At 9/30/06 02:47 AM, Doodler wrote: Hmm, not to be overly critical, but you guys have some focusing issues with many of these shots.

Not to be defensive (no sarcasm intended) but sometimes focus isnt whats best for the picture. Like someone said before, a good picture should make you feel like you are there, and human eyes just dont focus as well as a digital camera.

Take the two pics I snapped below. The first is super focused, detailing all the colors of the sun and the various foreground and background items. The second was taken with the flash turned off, causing a sillouette effect. This mimics the human eye in that when you look at an object with a strong light source behind it you see foreground images as shadows. The first image may be more detailed, but the second is more real to the human experience, and thus has a more of an emotional appeal.

Now you do have a point that focus is important in some shots, but sometimes art isnt text book. Sometimes its just trying to capture the (imperfect) human experience. Dont worry about the details, worry about the impact of the image as a whole.

Photography

Response to Photography 2006-09-30 14:34:28

Hey, I'm seriously thinking about getting this camera today. I asked my dad about it though, and he said Kodak's aren't particularly good cameras. So what do you think? Should I get this camera? If not, what do you recommend? Personally, I think it looks like a pretty good deal because it's a pocket sized digi with 6mp and 10x optical zoom...

Response to Photography 2006-09-30 15:02:28

this was a rare photo for me to get...its a fly/midgy (not sure on real name)

Photography

BBS Signature

Response to Photography 2006-09-30 15:05:07

this was taken while on a plane...it looks like a sea of clouds, its got waves and a horizon and stuff, i thought it looked pretty good

BBS Signature