00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

UmanaJose just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Is America to Overweight?

2,081 Views | 32 Replies

Is America to Overweight? 2003-01-26 13:44:37

Do you think that with the recent technologies and the laziness of people in the US growing rapidly, americans are getting more and more obese?

And if so, how would you solve it?

Response to Is America to Overweight? 2003-01-26 13:55:24

Yes, America is too overweight. Afterall what's the point of being active when you can lounge around watching T.V. and eating Pizza?

All these diet treatments remind me of one of the fake radio commercials from GTAIII (which actually reminded me of some real products that exist)

"Woman: I tried everything to try and lose weight, protein diets, diet pills, getting my stomach stapled, my mouth sewed up, my hands cut off.

Man: Everything but eating right and excersisng"

Woman: That's right, but then I tried the..."

This seems to be the case in America right now, we're doing everything BUT what really works. It's very simple all you have to do to lose weight is to burn off more calories then you bring in. Excersise increases the calories your burn, diet reduces the calories you take in, combine to two and you lose weight. That's it!

Response to Is America to Overweight? 2003-01-26 13:56:25

At 1/26/03 01:44 PM, semaGdniM wrote: Do you think that with the recent technologies and the laziness of people in the US growing rapidly, americans are getting more and more obese?

And if so, how would you solve it?

Answer to question one) Hell yes.

Answer to question two) Free lyposuction!

"Life is short and filled with stuff"~The Cramps

BBS Signature

Response to Is America to Overweight? 2003-01-26 14:06:51

we need to find ways that would actually appeal to the overweight population and convince them to exercise. New ways of advertisement of something.

Response to Is America to Overweight? 2003-01-26 14:28:36

Does anyone remember the commercial about the kids coming home after school? They go to the one kid's house, and they rip open the bags of chips and chocolate cupcakes. Then they're all passed out on the couches and can't get up to ride bikes when other kids stop by.

Quote of the day: @Nysssa "What is the word I want to use here?" @freakapotimus "Taint".

Response to Is America to Overweight? 2003-01-26 15:48:06

At 1/26/03 01:44 PM, semaGdniM wrote: Do you think that with the recent technologies and the laziness of people in the US growing rapidly, americans are getting more and more obese?

Yes and america also cant spell... hehheh im just kidding im american, TOO!

Response to Is America to Overweight? 2003-01-26 17:48:14

Yes Americans are over weight and they're getting Lazy and stupid at the same time. I was president I would give free stomach staples and liposuckstion to everyone who wants it

Response to Is America to Overweight? 2003-01-26 18:50:11

Yeah, but we did this to ourselves. Nothing is stopping us from getting away from this computer right now and RIGHT NOW going out and swimming several laps (well except for the cold, but we could run laps...you get the point) except for ourselves. It may not be fun, but we do make these choices ourselves. Even six year olds know that sitting around all day isn't good for you. If America wants to solve it's weight problem it has to do it one person at a time, because people aren't motivated to REALLY change until they look in the mirror and decide it for themselves.

Response to Is America to Overweight? 2003-01-26 19:46:45

I know that I'm overweight, and I did it to myself, staying home and watching TV with my boyfriend instead of going out and doing something. When we first started dating, we used to grab dinner then walk around the city for a few hours, maybe with a cup of coffee. Now after dinner we get on the computer or watch TV, and munch on snacks. I gained more weight than he did though, because I have an office job and sit on my ass all day.

The best thing for me to do (which is what I've started) is change of diet and more exercise. My mother wants me to join Weight Watchers, but I'd rather change what I eat for the long run, like actually eating cereal or oatmeal or yogurt for breakfast instead of grabbing a Sizzlie Biscuit at WaWa.

Quote of the day: @Nysssa "What is the word I want to use here?" @freakapotimus "Taint".

Response to Is America to Overweight? 2003-01-26 21:31:44

But it's been happening slowly for millenia.
They stopped getting as much exercise when the wheel was developed.
Humans stopped getting as much exercise when the agricultural revolution hit.
They stopped getting as much exercise when horses were tamed.
I could go on through the millenia, up until "they stopped getting as much exercise when NG came up".
The point is, we have things to do things for us.
We have all these things to make our lives easier, but we make our lives harder by expecting ourselves to be thin supermodels.
Wouldn't it be easier for fat to become attractive then for all the fat people to lose weight?

Response to Is America to Overweight? 2003-01-27 12:25:51

At 1/26/03 09:31 PM, Ted_Easton wrote: Wouldn't it be easier for fat to become attractive then for all the fat people to lose weight?

If you think people are going to start finding fat people attractive, you should read this topic from the General bbs:
freakpotomis = fatass from hell
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic.php?id=37100

He couldn't even spell my username right!

Response to Is America to Overweight? 2003-01-27 18:57:42

Gluttany is a sin. Praise Jesus straying lambs.

Response to Is America to Overweight? 2003-01-27 19:27:23

At 1/26/03 09:31 PM, Ted_Easton wrote: The point is, we have things to do things for us.
We have all these things to make our lives easier, but we make our lives harder by expecting ourselves to be thin supermodels.
Wouldn't it be easier for fat to become attractive then for all the fat people to lose weight?

I would have to agree and disagree with that statement. It is true that there are things out there designed to do things for us. But since we are a media driven society, people will never change because we are "expected" to look like the people on tv. And many overweight people get discouraged because it. However, that might never happen for some of us. Maybe if more of the "society accepted" people would encourage those who are obese, then people would start to lose weight. Unfortunately, it would be easier (& healthier) to lose weight, because our society might never be accepting of obsesity.

Response to Is America to Overweight? 2003-01-28 03:27:50

yes it is, havent u seen all those fat ppl??
noone can solve it, ppl has to realize that they r eating too much and mos of it with sugar and fat, and they dont do enough exercise. havent u thought that with all the food that those fat ppl eat, u could solve much of the world's hunger??

Response to Is America to Overweight? 2003-01-28 16:40:31

Yes, America is too overweight. I read that 60% of American adults are overweight

An overweight person must decide to consume less calories and exercise more. That is the solution.

Response to Is America to Overweight? 2003-01-28 18:27:28

But how can we define overweight? If we had advanced faster, and had the technology we do today a hundred years ago, overweight might be considered 100 lbs heavier than it is today.
It's some sort of an average, so if most people are becoming heavier, then the average has to change. Why stick with the average from one year? Or some number arbitrarily picked out of thin air?
The number must be a an average determined by a representative sample, not a number that some FDA manager analyzed(See Thread-"parasite")

Response to Is America to Overweight? 2003-01-28 21:04:00

At 1/28/03 06:27 PM, Ted_Easton wrote: But how can we define overweight? If we had advanced faster, and had the technology we do today a hundred years ago, overweight might be considered 100 lbs heavier than it is today.
It's some sort of an average, so if most people are becoming heavier, then the average has to change. Why stick with the average from one year? Or some number arbitrarily picked out of thin air?
The number must be a an average determined by a representative sample, not a number that some FDA manager analyzed(See Thread-"parasite")

Overweight is not defined by a national average; it is generally defined by a person's body mass index. The cutoff points are based on heath risks which are associated with particular BMI ranges. A BMI in the 25-30 range is considered overweight; anything over 30 is considered obese. This is the formula for determining BMI:
BMI = Weight [in kilograms] / (Height [in meters])squared
or
BMI = Weight [in pounds] x 704.5 / (Height [in inches])squared
There are of course exceptions for people with extremely low body fat content ratios. A Body fat content over 30% for females and 25% for males is considered obese.

Convincing people that the overweight are attractive would be somewhat difficult. Worldwide studies show that a waist to hip ratio of .7 for women is considered the most attractive. Interestingly, a .7 waist-hip ratio is also the ratio most ideal for child bearing. This lends support to the fact that sociocultural factors may not be the only predictor for people's level of attractiveness. I've never read any studies on the physical attractiveness of males, but I assume most females would prefer males that appear the most able to raise/support offspring.

Response to Is America to Overweight? 2003-01-28 21:17:51

Haq was right about the ratio, Body-Mass Index.

At 1/28/03 06:27 PM, Ted_Easton wrote: It's some sort of an average, so if most people are becoming heavier, then the average has to change. Why stick with the average from one year? Or some number arbitrarily picked out of thin air?

What I wonder: if the average woman wears a size 14, why do plus-sizes start at size 14?

Response to Is America to Overweight? 2003-01-28 22:57:29

At 1/27/03 06:57 PM, DarkCyrstal wrote: Gluttany is a sin. Praise Jesus straying lambs.

You know, you're really starting to piss me off. But anyway...

American culture really likes things fast and easy, we like our cars fast, our food fast, and our women easy (jk). The same thing applies to weight, it's easy to gain the weight but losing it requires work, and the average american just doesn't want to do what it takes to lose that weight. Thus our weight problem.

Response to Is America to Overweight? 2003-01-28 22:58:36

I've done the BMI thing. I'm 19 on the BMI.
But it's still based on people from a time period and diseases/ health risks from a time period.
If 60% of the population is 20 pounds "overweight", that is determined by the BMI?
So the whole ideal weight system is based on points where people think people are at risk for a disorder.
Here's a risk. People who wrote up the BMI are in danger of becoming idiots.

Response to Is America to Overweight? 2003-01-28 23:06:20

HAQ is correct about the BMI. Being overweight or obese is also a health risk. Everyone knows that obesity leads to Type II diabetes, not to mention other things like heart disease.

Response to Is America to Overweight? 2003-01-29 17:33:34

I've got to say it, the reason that America is overweight is Capitalism. Rightwing Economic thinkers assert that competition lead to improvements in cost and technology. There are also other effects, it leads to a lowering of quality where they can get away with it. Take McDonalds, the beef they use if just full of shit, taken from diseased cows, why? Because it is cheaper and they can get away with it! People eat there because of the taste, not because of the quality. It's the same with most products, it doesn't matter if it is loaded with fat and other shit, as long as it tastes nice!

Response to Is America to Overweight? 2003-01-29 18:44:04

I think we need to encourage people to engage in healthier activities. I mean we all have our hobbies. But how much weight are we going to lose programming computers or playing video games? Things like sports, and certain instruments can do a surprising amount of help. The hardest part of working out and losing weight is starting. If we can get them to start with a healthy hobby, maybe it can lead to better things.

Response to Is America to Overweight? 2003-01-29 23:31:09

basically yes. over the past few hundred years, we have been engaging in less and less phisical activity. infact my biology teacher was telling our class about a theory that states that in the next couple of hundred years and beyond, humans will loose muscle mass and increase their head size. so were gonna be skinny with big heads. but that doesnt come as a big surprise. these days everything is automatic and "hands free" (and half of these items are endorsed by billy mays for some reason...) but yea. were gettin more fat, less muscle and a whole lot more lazyness.

Response to Is America to Overweight? 2003-01-30 06:41:48

Interesting fact- America has the highest percent of overweight people of any country.

My GOD.

These are another group of people that make me want to slap them (and ride the wave in?).

Fat people are really stupid in many aspects of life. You got to McDonald's every day, you get fat. Don't sue McDonald's because YOU went out and got two double Big-Macs everytime you got into the car. It's not like Ronald McDonald held a gun to your head and forced you to eat those 27 Double-Bacon Cheeseburgers and the Diet Pepsi.

It's hilarious that they tried to claim that they were manipulated into buying the food from the commercials, and then became addicted.

Look- If you're being led around by someone wearing bid red fucking clown shoes, obesity isn't your only problem. You must certainly be suffering from some grease-induced brain blockage or something, and deserve to get so fat that you can no longer move, eventually suffocating yourself in your sleep, leaving a most disturbing carcass to be discovered by all of your fat friends, who will probably just deep fry you and eat you, because they're too lazy to go to McDonald's.

I understand that some people are just born fat, and don't want to work extra hard or whatever to lose the weight, but these are some of the whiniest people in the world.

A woman tried suing American Airlines (or some other airline... I'm unsure as to the name) because she had to buy two tickets to sit down on the plane. She said it was discriminatory against fat people.

To that, I retort-

PUT DOWN THE HAM SANDWICH!!

Thank you, and please don't take spy photos of me with those satellites rotating around your respective asses.

Word.

Response to Is America to Overweight? 2003-01-30 07:44:39

After your rant about something that does not concern you in any way and which is filled with idiocy, I decided to see why you posted it. I had to look no farther than your profile.

Message from PreacherJ:
I come from a strong cultural background of White Trash and Irish. I'm 5'7, 130 lbs., and about as scary as a stoned kitten. I enjoy writing anything, from poetry, to stories, to screenplays. I'm lonely. Write me. -PJ

That seems to explain pretty much everything to my satisfaction. Anyone else?

Response to Is America to Overweight? 2003-01-30 09:25:46

At 1/30/03 07:44 AM, Qjedi wrote: After your rant about something that does not concern you in any way and which is filled with idiocy...

How is his post filled with idiocy? And how do you know this topic does not concern him? I'm sure not everyone writing in this topic is overweight (like not everyone writing in the Rape topic has been sexually assulted). I thought his post was amusing, since I also see how some overweight people are complete morons. Note the word some. I'm overweight, I know how I got here (read my posts above) but people sueing McDonald's? Come one! (I read about that somewhere, I'll have to find a link.)

I also think that it is quite fair to charge people for two seats on an airline (although the company I saw the suit about was Southwestern Airlines). Until planes are made that have seats big enough, they need to charge larger people for two seats. Their policy states that if the flight does not sell out, the price of the 2nd seat will be fully refunded.

http://www.naafa.org/news/SWA_letter.html
http://www.bigfatblog.com/archives/000272.php
http://www.healthfinder.gov/news/newsstory.asp?docID=507748

Response to Is America to Overweight? 2003-01-30 09:53:39

At 1/30/03 09:25 AM, Freakapotimus wrote:
How is his post filled with idiocy?

Take a look over it again. This is insulting and stupid. Posts by PreacheJ marked with **
** These are another group of people that make me want to slap them (and ride the wave in?).
** Fat people are really stupid in many aspects of life.
How are we (yes, I am fat) stupid? The fact that it is hard to lose weight has nothing to do with brainpower, it has far more to do with willpower.
** Look- If you're being led around by someone wearing bid red fucking clown shoes, obesity isn't your only problem. You must certainly be suffering from some grease-induced brain blockage or something, and deserve to get so fat that you can no longer move, eventually suffocating yourself in your sleep, leaving a most disturbing carcass to be discovered by all of your fat friends, who will probably just deep fry you and eat you, because they're too lazy to go to McDonald's.
Do you need me to tear this apart piece by piece or is it okay to just say that the statments made here are idiotic?
** To that, I retort-
PUT DOWN THE HAM SANDWICH!!
Obnoxious and unnecessary, just a flat out stupid thing to say.
** Thank you, and please don't take spy photos of me with those satellites rotating around your respective asses.
Much like the rest of this post, just another thing to say that sounds pretty friggin' stupid.

** And how do you know this topic does not concern him?
His profile has him listed at 130 lbs, you tell me.

I'm sure not everyone writing in this topic is overweight (like not everyone writing in the Rape topic has been sexually assulted). I thought his post was amusing, since I also see how some overweight people are complete morons. Note the word some. I'm overweight, I know how I got here (read my posts above) but people sueing McDonald's? Come one! (I read about that somewhere, I'll have to find a link.)

I happen to not disagree with some of the examples given, but I dislike the inflammatory and obnoxious way it was stated.

I also think that it is quite fair to charge people for two seats on an airline (although the company I saw the suit about was Southwestern Airlines). Until planes are made that have seats big enough, they need to charge larger people for two seats. Their policy states that if the flight does not sell out, the price of the 2nd seat will be fully refunded.

This is not the point of my issue with his post, nor is the part about it being stupid to sue McDonalds because someone got too fat eating their food.

I hope that answers some of what you were saying because I am frankly surprised I had to explain it at all.
I happen to be one of the very few groups of people that it is okay to make fun of, now if some 130 lb kid wants to come and make blanket statements like that on a site he is barely a member of (Level 2, 11 posts at this time) then I feel it is my priveledge to come back and reply to his statements.

I am not upset with him (or you for that matter) but what good could possibly be gained from his post? All it looks like is a ripoff of the last couple of standup comics he saw and an inflammatory post intended to denigrate people he has never met.
I am not responding with vehemence or threats or anything else, and I responded with quite a bit less nastiness than he used, if you would like to read over it again.
I hope that made things more clear.

Response to Is America to Overweight? 2003-01-30 12:57:10

His post may be insulting, but I agree with his main point. People need to accept responsibility for what they do. People who eat high calorie foods and do not exercise may become fat. If they do, it is their fault. People should not blame McDonalds. The lawsuit is ridiculous.

Response to Is America to Overweight? 2003-01-30 21:14:07

Qjedi-

I apologize if I hurt your feelings.

It's merely a misinterpretation, is all. I did use the word "some", and the only reason I'd see from smart fat people to be offended by that is if they, well, weren't smart.

So, just bringing you up to speed. I didn't want you to think I had unfairly classified you in with those fat people who DON'T accept responsibility for their fatness. The people I'd slap, you must admit, deserve it.

Freakopotumus-

Thanks for supporting me in my rant, and I appreciate your notation that I used humor to accent my point. That's what I was going for. Also, thanks for telling me it was SW Air. I didn't know the exact airline for sure (as was noted in my post), and it's nice to have the facts straight.

Now that we're all on the same page, anybody have anything else to say about the post?