00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Multi-Author System

13,532 Views | 112 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-13 17:01:10

me and 19 others from the clockc rew have just made a collaberation movie and are uploading it tonight
so keep an eye out for it.
unfortunatley this means that all of the ppl who participated in makin it wont be able to get credit

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-13 17:03:07

Realizing you guys have limited time to rework the d-base, can you add a Co-author field that has a drop down box query? EX: Co-author has a drop down box with the numbers 1 - 4. Underneath there are 4 inactive text fields. When the number is selected that many empty text fields become active allowing for the other authors names to be entered.

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-13 17:05:40

This idea is good, but how many users can be used together on a single flash?

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-13 17:28:26

Why don't you make anohter section so it says:

movie author(s):
movie submiter:

That way some one won't "steal" a movie. He/She will just be sharing it with the NG community.

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-13 17:33:28

I agree with sizzler..... i am making a movie at the moment that a friend is helping me with..... id love for when i submit that movie it say

author: The_unknown_soldier profile|site
Major contributor forgot his ng username profile|site
He has done a lot in the creation of the movie but in my opinion i was the major author!

Anyway thats food for thought i think i might go eat now :P

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-13 17:37:58

I agree with sizzler.

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-13 17:52:09

this a a great idea

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-13 17:53:36

Hey, the # of NG Members is almost up to 100,000

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-13 17:53:57

Damn, thats phat as hell.

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-13 17:54:38

although this sounds like an impressive idea, what would happen if the movie wins a portal award? i mean what what happen there?

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-13 18:00:03

I think its a great idea, let the credit get spread, and stil be as flexible as possible. I'm for the new idea, but one problem that may arise would be conflict, if someone tries to submit it first, each wants to have control, or something like that. I can't really think of any ways to solve it, and it probally won't be a huge problem.

On another note, all the cool shit happening to NG firly recently kicks ass, Obituaries, Whistle, The School bus thing for the portal is cool. And most of all, since I've joined, I've noticed the quality of the submissions is getting better and better. Congrads to everyone...

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-13 18:21:52

sounds great

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-13 19:51:59

Very excellent idea, Tom!

I'll be starting Flash after I finish my goddamn finals next week!

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-13 20:34:20

Ok there is how it should go:
Auther Credits
*Click*
Credits below
Someone
------
Someone
------
Someone
------
but how would it work, i mean like how would you submit the authers?

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-13 20:51:08

sweet. sounds good to me! i'm assuming you can add in the people to current submissions as well?

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-13 21:02:37

That's a great idea!
And now that users are going to help me on my new movie Vg Warriors, it's going to be great.

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-13 21:05:53

That'd be sweet ass
ive done a few things with friends, and if this thing goes through, ill definitely submit the movies

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-13 21:15:33

At 12/13/02 11:39 AM, The_Behemoth wrote: That's a nice idea, Sizzler. The only thing I foresee being problematic is the delegation of roles; how to determine how much effort one gave without hurting anyone's feelings, or giving anyone undue credit, etc. And the term "contributors", while it seems politically correct, still seems like it holds inferiority over the people who worked on it. If I were to bring in a background artist (since I'm a character artist, and can't do backgrounds to save my life), I would give him (or her) equal credit for having participating. Then, I would simply put in the artist comments "and a special thanks to whoever for their work on the backgrounds".
At 12/13/02 01:38 PM, poxpower wrote: I agree with The_Behemoth: Sizzler's idea would lead to confrontations, but since both authors could say they did an equal part and have their names under "co-producer", I think it would work fine.

There shouldn't be any problems at all. Those who have actually worked on this project SHOULD KNOW who has done what. The delegation of roles shouldn't even be a question, since all those involved will most certainly know who has put in the most effort, who directed and masterminded the entire project, and who only made supporting contributions.

Allowing for the authors to distinguish between co-authors and contributors should not present any confrontations - If collaborating artists are too childish to get along and know what's fair , then I don't know how they managed to end up working together in the first place, let along finishing their work.

At 12/13/02 01:38 PM, poxpower wrote: Maybe you could make a longer credits list, including Drawings, programming, music, scenario etc. If the projet had a lot of people involved, that way, we will know who did what, making it so that we can congratulate of critique of submitter in particular in the reviews.
At 12/13/02 01:23 PM, zipstyke wrote:
At 12/13/02 11:36 AM, KnottsberryClock wrote: I agree with Sizzler's idea, however I thought it would be a good idea to customise the titles according to what each person did. For example:

Original Idea: StrawberryClock
Graphics: OrangeClock
Backgrounds: B

Excluding music and audio of course.
But then the options are far too many, and it would get out of control.

Knottsberry's idea could work, as long as it doesn't clutter the page. For this reason, I lumped all of the acclaims under "Co-Author" and "Contributor". I guess it all depends on how much pixel space is available on each page.

Maybe all those who contributed could be listed, and their individual credits be given out in the flash movie itself. This way, they are still mentioned with a profile link/drop down box on the entry's page.

At 12/13/02 01:38 PM, poxpower wrote: A small problem I see though would be fot the user's grades. Since some co-authors might have done a crapier job than the other co-authors, the others might get angry to see that all their hard work raised the grade of someone else. I know this problem is more of a between authors than a newgrounds one, but maybe you could leave the option to have each team member grade the others ( of course this will only happen with 3 or more) so that they receive that percentage of the movie's grade.

To handle this, I only the authors/co-authors get the credit, and the conbributors don't. It's fair, and simple.

You do not currently have a signature for your Forum posts. Boooooooo!

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-13 21:21:47

I think it's swell

BBS Signature

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-13 21:34:51

This is just great. I've been wondering about this for a while and the way you've made it play out is absolutely ingenius!

I'm too damn lazy to make a decent sig right now.

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-13 21:54:49

At 12/13/02 11:13 AM, sizzler wrote: And a visit to a clock movie could look like this:

Author: GrapesClock
Contributor: AppleClock
Contributor: OrangeClock
Contributor: Olskoo

And of course, it would be possible for a submission to have co-authors AND contributors. As well, whether you'd list the other movies by "Contributors" is up to you, but I don't see any problem with doing so. I believe mentioning those involved in an entry as I've shown will still tie collaborations to all involved, and won't create a giant mess on the entry's page.

I think contributors are something that can be credited in the AUTHOR'S DESCRIPTION. We don't want to get too far out there because everything we add creates more load for the system.

It WOULD be kinda nice if someone who contributed a small part to a game could have it noted in his profile... But I have a feeling there would be so many minor credits that it would strain our system a lot more than straight-out collaborations. This system is mostly to benefit teams of artists and programmers, which have been growing more and more prominant.

-Tom

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-13 22:04:22

Sizzler, Your idea is too complicated, if someone did something small, they can be mentioned in the credits of the movie. This system is more for people who work together on a project and both take on equal ammounts of work.

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-13 22:12:19

At 12/13/02 09:54 PM, TomFulp wrote: I think contributors are something that can be credited in the AUTHOR'S DESCRIPTION. It WOULD be kinda nice if someone who contributed a small part to a game could have it noted in his profile... But I have a feeling there would be so many minor credits that it would strain our system a lot more than straight-out collaborations. This system is mostly to benefit teams of artists and programmers, which have been growing more and more prominant.

-Tom

Well in that case, your initial plan/1st post would be just right. As well, since the collaborations would feature authors who each have an (approximately) equal contribution, then there's no need to worry about who gets credit for the portal awards won by a team-effort; credit is shared.

In this case, my question is: What is a good limit to the number of people per team? Three? Four tops?

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-13 22:12:43

Not a bad idea, tom, i am fully behind it in fact!
i am shur that there will be some problems but thanks for finaly solving this!

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-13 22:15:08

Hell ya!! That way the stuff Todd & I work on can be seperate from the stuff that me & Damian work on, or Todd & Damian, or Damian by himself, or be by myself, or Todd... anyways you get it.
Speaking of which, Damian Martins' new ninja movie will be coming out this weekend, and boy is it sumptuous! Followed immediately by a game Todd & I are working on called Overdose, Power of the Geek 4, and of course Pimp's Quest 2!!
-Ben
P.S. the Stick Slayer may be dead, but the legacy continues... stay tuned!

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-13 22:34:24

At 12/13/02 10:04 PM, Unmindful wrote: Sizzler, Your idea is too complicated, if someone did something small, they can be mentioned in the credits of the movie. This system is more for people who work together on a project and both take on equal ammounts of work.

Right, but you know that many NG Flash artists have minor production roles in the works of their friends. My idea facilitates this by extending Tom's proposed plan; however, it extends too much, and would be a real drain on NG's resources. And of course, nobody wants to waste NG's bandwidth.

Heh, isn't it interesting that my idea is too complicated for someone who is "un-mindful."

(Oh; when the multi-author is enabled, what will happen to the Section8Studios account?)

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-13 22:53:10

I dont get it.

Multi-Author System

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-13 22:55:22

I think you should allow users to form a sort of Team or Company. Then if they collaberated on works then under Author it would list the team name and have a link to all the users involved. Ex. If 4 peope made a flash movie they list the movie under
TEAM: (ex)Oldgrounds and clicking on that would bring you to the member profiles of the artists. And each arist would get due credit and neground points. Good luck with the re amp guys.

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-13 23:53:45

i love teh idea... i was just wondering... if it gets daily feature do they both get teh portal award?

"I smoke weed 'cause it gives me knowledge."

~ civilian in GTA San Andreas

Response to Multi-Author System 2002-12-13 23:54:09

I hope I have described this well. I'm now opening the floor to comments. LET YOUR IDEAS AND OPINIONS BE HEARD!

Bitch beer totally sucks, I can't drink anything but corona, coors, and some other stronger shit but weaker then 151