00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Cositadog just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Update on Hacking...

4,508 Views | 50 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Update on Hacking... 2002-10-31 09:13:07

Ok, just to calm down the fears, here is more specific info on what to look for.

1) The hacker will need a .swf file to run from NG in order for it to work.

2) The file will need to redirect you to a page on the hacker's site in order for it to send the info.

If any movie in the Portal redirects you to a new page, close the window, change your password, and don't open it again. If you notice something that looks especially suspicious, please notify wade@newgrounds.com.

This issue should be resolved soon.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Update on Hacking... 2002-10-31 09:21:10

Have you contacted any people to question them?

Update on Hacking...

Response to Update on Hacking... 2002-10-31 10:22:13

thank god u caught this bfore it got way too outta hand

Response to Update on Hacking... 2002-10-31 10:29:51

At 10/31/02 09:13 AM, TomFulp wrote: Ok, just to calm down the fears, here is more specific info on what to look for.

2) The file will need to redirect you to a page on the hacker's site in order for it to send the info.

If any movie in the Portal redirects you to a new page, close the window, change your password, and don't open it again. If you notice something that looks especially suspicious, please notify wade@newgrounds.com.

I think movies that simply redirect you have a file size of 0k, correct? Maybe people should not watch movies under a certain filesize to be safe, since its most likely a piece of shit anyway.

Response to Update on Hacking... 2002-10-31 10:41:01

Glad you cleared some of this up Tom. I'm sure this will ease a lot of people's fear.

Response to Update on Hacking... 2002-10-31 10:58:00

At 10/31/02 09:13 AM, TomFulp wrote: Ok, just to calm down the fears, here is more specific info on what to look for.

This issue should be resolved soon. the guy named greenclock i think hes in on it cause he hacked my computer........>:O oh and happy halloween^_^

Update on Hacking...

Response to Update on Hacking... 2002-10-31 11:04:32

At 10/31/02 09:13 AM, TomFulp wrote: 1) The hacker will need a .swf file to run from NG in order for it to work.

Sounds good so far, Tom.

I also belive people should be very careful when clicking links on the BBS (see previous NG News item); only click links from those who you trust, or better yet, log-out before you click them.

At 10/31/02 10:29 AM, Omnibus wrote: I think movies that simply redirect you have a file size of 0k, correct? Maybe people should not watch movies under a certain filesize to be safe, since its most likely a piece of shit anyway.

Don't forget that some good submissions are also re-directs. Like Hacky The Rackoon, for example; it's only 24k.

You do not currently have a signature for your Forum posts. Boooooooo!

Response to Update on Hacking... 2002-10-31 11:10:12

But the thing I'm wondering is what would the hackers use with just the Newgrounds.com password.... What bad thing can they do?

Response to Update on Hacking... 2002-10-31 11:10:45

the very thing happened to me this morning. i was watching the movie 'my love....' by 'sausage_man'. once the film started it opened up a new page. i reported this in the review of that movie. it may have been blammed now, as it's score was about 0.6 wen i watched it, but i hope this helps.

Response to Update on Hacking... 2002-10-31 11:16:09

yea, it has been blammed. a little off subject, but does anyone know wen 'super console wars 2' will b out. it says august 21 on the makers site, and i know that movies can takes months, or even longer to make, but i'd love to know.

Response to Update on Hacking... 2002-10-31 11:20:47

Tom, I'm assuming you are aware that there are many security holes in the NG system, Not only with peoples personal privacy, but also holes an the system. I know for a fact that auto voting scripts are possible. And i figure there are other risks involving scripts in flash Movies and the scripts that run NG.

I'm just wondering if you're working to fix these, or addressing them as they appear.

-QMC :)

Response to Update on Hacking... 2002-10-31 11:25:18

OH, and it won't HAVE to connect to another page to send the info. Using the XMLsocket, you can send any info you wish to another server from the flash file sitting on NG's server.

Response to Update on Hacking... 2002-10-31 11:31:22

At 10/31/02 11:16 AM, miket86 wrote: yea, it has been blammed. a little off subject, but does anyone know wen 'super console wars 2' will b out. it says august 21 on the makers site, and i know that movies can takes months, or even longer to make, but i'd love to know.

you wanna see how long a movie/game can take? wait for pico 2 with the rest of us buddy....

Response to Update on Hacking... 2002-10-31 11:41:23

At 10/31/02 11:31 AM, whew wrote:
At 10/31/02 11:16 AM, miket86 wrote: yea, it has been blammed. a little off subject, but does anyone know wen 'super console wars 2' will b out. it says august 21 on the makers site, and i know that movies can takes months, or even longer to make, but i'd love to know.
you wanna see how long a movie/game can take? wait for pico 2 with the rest of us buddy....

yea lol. but good things come to those who wait!

Response to Update on Hacking... 2002-10-31 11:59:44

I feel a bit offended, you say "hacking", hacking is harmless bug fixing and security flaw patching, I do these things, and some other stuff, there for I am a hacker, the idiot jerking around doing this is a script kiddie, and most likely a cracker, just thought I'd bring it up, hehe, peace out.

Response to Update on Hacking... 2002-10-31 12:19:35

hacker:
SYLLABICATION: hack·er
PRONUNCIATION: hkr
NOUN: Informal 1. One who is proficient at using or programming a computer; a computer buff.
2. One who uses programming skills to gain illegal access to a computer network or file.
3. One who enthusiastically pursues a game or sport: a weekend tennis hacker.
ETYMOLOGY: Perhaps from hacker, amateurish or inept golfer or tennis player (possibly from hack1), or perhaps from hack, practical joke, clever scheme (from dialectal hack, to embarrass, confuse, play a trick on).

Use it as you will.

Response to Update on Hacking... 2002-10-31 13:35:05

Don't these people have anything better to do?

Response to Update on Hacking... 2002-10-31 14:00:55

Don't these people have anything better to do?

besides masturbating, no they don't.

Response to Update on Hacking... 2002-10-31 14:19:24

Thanks for the info tom. I hope the hacker or hackers get years in jail for trying to wreck NG. >:(

Response to Update on Hacking... 2002-10-31 14:32:31

At 10/31/02 11:20 AM, QuarterMelonClock wrote: Tom, I'm assuming you are aware that there are many security holes in the NG system, Not only with peoples personal privacy, but also holes an the system. I know for a fact that auto voting scripts are possible. And i figure there are other risks involving scripts in flash Movies and the scripts that run NG.

I'm just wondering if you're working to fix these, or addressing them as they appear.

-QMC :)

I think we have fixed auto-voting issues - but if you know someone who is still able to do it, let us know (or let us know how it is still possible). We try to fix any hole that is brought to our attention - so you are welcome to email me with a list of anything you know about.

-Tom

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Update on Hacking... 2002-10-31 14:32:34

Hackers and people of that sort REALLY piss me off! When you find one of those assholes go cut off there nuts!

Response to Update on Hacking... 2002-10-31 14:32:44

Glad to hear your working on the fixes Tom. As more NG users become familiar with web technologies, it will get harder and harder to keep things secure, but as long as you stay on top of it, everything should be ok.

To the guy who said hes a hacker...... don't make me laugh. First sign of a "cracker" (as you call it) would be to openly admit that they were a hacker. You would never know who the real hackers were unless you knew them as friends,family, etc. Don't fool yourself.

Response to Update on Hacking... 2002-10-31 14:34:56

How do you change your password?

Response to Update on Hacking... 2002-10-31 14:36:45

Tom Fulp wrote:

That means we should not see flash movies with a LINK to another webpage in it right? So that must mean we should not see ANY movie, because almost every single movie got a link to the creator's webpage... I'm conf0ozed!

Response to Update on Hacking... 2002-10-31 14:37:45

At 10/31/02 02:34 PM, bigbadev7 wrote: How do you change your password?

When you sign-in, the main user menu opens in the same window. You have to click on your personal profile, enter a new password in 2 boxes, then press the submit button.

Response to Update on Hacking... 2002-10-31 14:39:18

i know this is as far away from subject as my as from a meat grinder but whats the highest experience ou can get?

Response to Update on Hacking... 2002-10-31 15:13:57

Excellent you finally gonna get ut resolved!

Response to Update on Hacking... 2002-10-31 15:57:37

At 10/31/02 02:39 PM, Bill_The_Magic_Hobo wrote: i know this is as far away from subject as my as from a meat grinder but whats the highest experience ou can get?

There are 30 levels and 26 badges. its going to take a while to reach those levels.

Response to Update on Hacking... 2002-10-31 17:23:41

At 10/31/02 03:57 PM, ImportRacer666 wrote:
At 10/31/02 02:39 PM, Bill_The_Magic_Hobo wrote: i know this is as far away from subject as my as from a meat grinder but whats the highest experience ou can get?
There are 30 levels and 26 badges. its going to take a while to reach those levels.

26 badges???? are you sure

Response to Update on Hacking... 2002-10-31 17:25:36

26 badges???? are you sure

never mind that, didn't noticed that tehy added now badges :) sorry again.