00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GoTENitrax just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New voting system is operational!

4,367 Views | 55 Replies
Respond to this Topic

New voting system is operational! 2002-10-14 23:08:15

Just to clear up some confusion the new voting system is operational and has been tracking votes since the evening of 10/13/02. We have not had a chance to add the PROTECTION point totals to the profiles yet, but they are being tracked so you will get credit for any movies you protected since the voting system went into effect. Again if you vote 0 or 1 on a movie and it ends up being BLAMMED, you get a BLAM point. If you vote 2-5 on a movie and it ends up being protected you get a PROTECTION point. If you vote 2-5 on a movie and it is BLAMMED you get no points, and if you vote 0 or 1 on a movie and it is protected you can no points. Only your first vote is recorded, so make sure you watch the movie and vote honestly.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to New voting system is operational! 2002-10-14 23:27:03

WOOO First post,

France Surrenders,

Strong Bad Rules.

Response to New voting system is operational! 2002-10-14 23:45:07

At 10/14/02 11:08 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Just to clear up some confusion the new voting system is operational and has been tracking votes since the evening of 10/13/02. We have not had a chance to add the PROTECTION point totals to the profiles yet, but they are being tracked so you will get credit for any movies you protected since the voting system went into effect. Again if you vote 0 or 1 on a movie and it ends up being BLAMMED, you get a BLAM point. If you vote 2-5 on a movie and it ends up being protected you get a PROTECTION point. If you vote 2-5 on a movie and it is BLAMMED you get no points, and if you vote 0 or 1 on a movie and it is protected you can no points. Only your first vote is recorded, so make sure you watch the movie and vote honestly.

Woo! Alright!

What does that mean when the movie ends up getting protected?

What number does your vote have to be to gain a PROTECTION point?

Either way, I can't wait! This'll be fun, I guess.

Response to New voting system is operational! 2002-10-14 23:46:21

Oh, and I always watch before I vote.

In fact, I've seen a lot.

And I still think auras should be selectable in our settings. But oh well.

Response to New voting system is operational! 2002-10-14 23:46:27

what do you mean by protected? just not blammed?

you don't know if i'm joking or not

Response to New voting system is operational! 2002-10-14 23:47:39

At 10/14/02 11:46 PM, Boo_Destroyer wrote: Oh, and I always watch before I vote.

In fact, I've seen a lot.

And I still think auras should be selectable in our settings. But oh well.

yeah make them selectable and make different colors also. i know this is alot of work for you but it would be cool!

you don't know if i'm joking or not

Response to New voting system is operational! 2002-10-15 00:19:00

It's about time you implemented this stuff. Way to go Wade.

Response to New voting system is operational! 2002-10-15 01:18:32

At 10/14/02 11:08 PM, WadeFulp wrote: Just to clear up some confusion the new voting system is operational and has been tracking votes since the evening of 10/13/02. We have not had a chance to add the PROTECTION point totals to the profiles yet, but they are being tracked so you will get credit for any movies you protected since the voting system went into effect. Again if you vote 0 or 1 on a movie and it ends up being BLAMMED, you get a BLAM point. If you vote 2-5 on a movie and it ends up being protected you get a PROTECTION point. If you vote 2-5 on a movie and it is BLAMMED you get no points, and if you vote 0 or 1 on a movie and it is protected you can no points. Only your first vote is recorded, so make sure you watch the movie and vote honestly.

that's very ghey. what if I see a movie that everyone likes... but I don't like some reason. let's say for poitical or religious reasons? I don't get credit for voting honestly? I don't think this is gonna fly. And, if you get no points for voting, you can always move on to the next one and give it a 0... or 5 depending on your aura... which is NG is about now, auras and exp. Any level 9 will agree with me, they didn't get there by voting honestly and watching every movie and you know it's true. There's no way to stop inhonest voting, that's how it's gonna be until voting is taken away. At which time half of NG patrons will disband.

Response to New voting system is operational! 2002-10-15 01:28:53

ohhhhhhhhhhh ok it makes more sense now.

Response to New voting system is operational! 2002-10-15 01:31:31

Wade, this is getting a bit complicated. But I think this could be fun. Couple questions. I have had the 'neutral' status since I've been on here and all of a sudden, I have the 'light' moniker under my name. It also looks like everybody is now light or dark. What up? Second, if I vote a 5 on a movie can I change my mind and vote a 2 the next day if I think I was wrong? In other words can we still vote everyday on the same movies and possibly change our stance on them?

Response to New voting system is operational! 2002-10-15 02:32:00

The auto sign in is fixed. Yeah!...hey you know how there is 4 cut off points when you submit a movie....what does the score have to be to not get cut off every time because i wanna know whether i should blam something or protect something...becoz if its near the threshold i want a protection point but i don wana waist it .yeah anyway.. I have tonnes of idea for ng... you should be able to vote on a user so that if he gets a low enuff score by enuff people he loses exp points...or mab a blam button on profiles and if so many people click it u guys get emailed to check up on him.

Also there should be tonnes more empahsis on other things as well as voting such as reviewing...mab you should get people to review 5 movies a day and they get 5exp poitns...or maybe have a special review level as well that would definately make me review a lot more than that 'this person has reviwed so many movies

Also i have spoken to a few people and we think..
if you submit a movie and it gets past the threshold of 25 you should get 1 exp point
50 2
75 4
and if its safe you get 8
also daily feature could be like 20 exp points.

These (especially the reviewing one encourage people to get more envolved in newrgounds so i think they should be put in. lol telll me what you think of them anyway wade

thanks for making ng #1site on the web (not 6th like that fhm mag said...bloody pommes)

Response to New voting system is operational! 2002-10-15 02:38:17

Ahh this is going to make voting so much fun. =)

Response to New voting system is operational! 2002-10-15 03:00:46

Hey I have an idea,

About the PORTAL, add a 5th list thats on the right side that displays the titles of random portal entries, not necessarily good ones just old average ones. Then cycles through all the movies in the portal every 3 months or so. That way old movies still get voted on. A lot of movies are posted on the portal, make it through, and are never watched/played again.

Oh, blam points arent gonna be anything to be proud of anymore because people are gonna have thousands now. Protection points? Uh I find that somewhat pathetic but ok its your website. Someone told me they're gonna set up a protection club, (aka anti-blam club).

Until the break of dawn
Life life
Cannot go by the letter
Time time
Prozac can make it better
Noise noise
Any kind will do
Can you feel it slip away
When it's all on you

Crime crime
Rockin' like Janet Reno
Time time
Eighteen and life in Chino
Freud Freud
All along it's true
Well you'll see there comes a day
Catches up to you

Knock down the walls, it's alive in you
Knock down the place, you're alone it's true
Knock down the world, it's alive in you
You gotta keep your head up through it all
You're gonna
Bust out on it - original prankster
Break out yeah - original yeah
You never stop now, stop now
That's what the main man say

You know it smells like shit
Goddamn
Tag team the double header
Son of Sam
Fire always makes it better
Navigate
With style and aplomb
Cause wherever you're at
That's the tip you's on

Lies, lies
Says he's down in the Bahamas
Tries tries
Bangin' little hoochie mamas
No way
None of this is true
Well he'll see there comes a day
When the joke's on you yeah

Dime dime
So good to see ya
Nine nine
Don't want to be ya
Crime crime
Fine sensimilla

Dime dime
So good to see ya
Nine nine
Don't want to be ya
Crime crime
Fine sensimilla

Well you'll see there comes a day
Catches up to you

Knock down the walls, it's alive in you
Knock down the place, you're alone it's true
Knock down the world, it's alive in you
You gotta keep your head up through it all
You're gonna
Break out yeah - original yeah
You never stop now, stop now
That's what the main man say

Hehehehe... I shouldn't have done that...

Response to New voting system is operational! 2002-10-15 03:04:45

Oops I forgot to add another verse...

I'm so ashamed of myself. =P

Response to New voting system is operational! 2002-10-15 03:17:56

You still get exp. points, and still get your BLAM points if you BLAM it and it gets BLAMED, and just the same way with PROTECTION, it's not hard to figure out, and it works well, voting honestly won't hurt you at all unless your dying to get BLAM or PROTECTION points....

And we will never lose the voting system, how would we rate movies and place them? How would we get rid of all the crap movies that come in by someone who just got flash and is just submitting trash for the hell of it?

Response to New voting system is operational! 2002-10-15 05:16:51

ive aready written but....
what hapened to that percentage thing so if you vote corectly and propery your vote is worth more...you wrote it on blam club website...what hapened to it???

Response to New voting system is operational! 2002-10-15 08:12:40

Alright..Im sorta followin this an all..But whats the point? What do BLAM and PROTECTION points give you? Just proves that you actually Do vote Zero, AND five? Kinda pointless to me...

Response to New voting system is operational! 2002-10-15 08:14:36

And It Dont Show How Many Movies Someone Blammed Either..I Want That Back..I Liked Staring At My One Blam..Not How Many I Assisted in..

Response to New voting system is operational! 2002-10-15 09:11:57

Love The new system, That is all

Response to New voting system is operational! 2002-10-15 10:01:29

At 10/15/02 01:18 AM, Digital_Chameleon wrote: that's very ghey. what if I see a movie that everyone likes... but I don't like some reason. let's say for poitical or religious reasons? I don't get credit for voting honestly? I don't think this is gonna fly. And, if you get no points for voting, you can always move on to the next one and give it a 0... or 5 depending on your aura... which is NG is about now, auras and exp. Any level 9 will agree with me, they didn't get there by voting honestly and watching every movie and you know it's true. There's no way to stop inhonest voting, that's how it's gonna be until voting is taken away. At which time half of NG patrons will disband.

You can vote however you want. You just might not always get a point, but it won't hurt you in anwyay. We are making the aura's user selectable, so people won't be encouraged to vote a certain way just to make their aura dark, neutral, or light. We are trying to improve the system by taking out the things that lead people to have a biased voting pattern. Sure you can't make everyone vote fairly, but if we have things in our system that are causing more people to vote with a bias (which we didn't intend to happen when we thought up these things originally) then why not change them so they have less of a reason to vote with a bias?

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to New voting system is operational! 2002-10-15 10:03:57

At 10/15/02 01:31 AM, creamyspy69 wrote: Wade, this is getting a bit complicated. But I think this could be fun. Couple questions. I have had the 'neutral' status since I've been on here and all of a sudden, I have the 'light' moniker under my name. It also looks like everybody is now light or dark. What up? Second, if I vote a 5 on a movie can I change my mind and vote a 2 the next day if I think I was wrong? In other words can we still vote everyday on the same movies and possibly change our stance on them?

I clearly stated only your first vote is recorded. You can vote everyday and effect the score, but the first vote you submitted is the only one that will be checked to see if you earned a point or not.

For everyone asking when a movie is protected. A movie is protected when it reaches 100 votes. It has always been this way. When a movie reaches 100 votes and isn't blammed (has a score 1.50 or greater) it can never be blammed.

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to New voting system is operational! 2002-10-15 10:11:22

At 10/15/02 08:12 AM, Fizzo wrote: Alright..Im sorta followin this an all..But whats the point? What do BLAM and PROTECTION points give you? Just proves that you actually Do vote Zero, AND five? Kinda pointless to me...

Look, out of the 150,000 thousand user profiles or whatever we have now, only a handful of those people are regular voters. These people that come to the site regularly and help screen content will gain these points. It's a way for them to earn some more status and say "Look, I helped removed 3,000 crap movies from Newgrounds, and I helped protect 5,000 movies." or "I voted on 8,000 submissions on NG." Their experience also reflects this, but people have fun earning points. Some people could care less, but some people need more encouragement. :) We want to try and encourage more people to vote, and the easier and more rewarding we can make it, more people will get envolved. We're not done yet! :) We'll keep adding fun stuff.

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to New voting system is operational! 2002-10-15 10:39:25

Are you sticking with just 3 aura's or are you creating more?

Response to New voting system is operational! 2002-10-15 10:59:47

This all sounds more complicated than its worth...

Response to New voting system is operational! 2002-10-15 11:56:40

I know everyone seems to think that this new voting system is a good idea, but I don't think so. FIRST, being the actual person who got the BLAM means nothing anymore. There goes the challenge or luck of getting a blam. SECOND, and most important is that it is going to change the way people vote, possible for the worst. It's going to make people vote 0's on any low movie because they want to get in on the action, be part of the whole BLAM. A lot of movies won't have a chance to make it, I already saw lots of LOW SCORES since this has been implemented. I think it's better if you had people get the points for blam only when the movie turns red(when it truly deserves the blam), that way people won't be too hasty to give meaningless 0's just to rack up points.

Response to New voting system is operational! 2002-10-15 12:05:20

At 10/15/02 11:56 AM, Violet-AIM wrote: I know everyone seems to think that this new voting system is a good idea, but I don't think so. FIRST, being the actual person who got the BLAM means nothing anymore. There goes the challenge or luck of getting a blam. SECOND, and most important is that it is going to change the way people vote, possible for the worst. It's going to make people vote 0's on any low movie because they want to get in on the action, be part of the whole BLAM. A lot of movies won't have a chance to make it, I already saw lots of LOW SCORES since this has been implemented. I think it's better if you had people get the points for blam only when the movie turns red(when it truly deserves the blam), that way people won't be too hasty to give meaningless 0's just to rack up points.

From what I've seen I still see a lot of movies getting really good scores. What you are saying could be some what true. Maybe some movies that were borderline before will now have a greater chance of being blammed, which might not be a bad thing. If an author thinks their submission was unfairly blammed they could resubmit it. We are working on some new things to make people more encouraged to gain protection points as well as blams. :) Just wait and see.

On a side note LilJim fix a bug in the user proiles so they load faster now! Movie reviews should load faster now as well.

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to New voting system is operational! 2002-10-15 13:56:24

This will get a lot of crappy movies blammed. Which is good ofcourse. It's like you said, lots of people wait to vote, just to get the blam-point.
i think we'll be expecting quite some movies to be deleted the next few days.
I don't see how it's possible that so many people don't understand this new system. It's so easy.

Response to New voting system is operational! 2002-10-15 20:25:03

Well..I guess it sorta makes sence..I still wanna see how many Blams IVE actually blammed, though..

Response to New voting system is operational! 2002-10-15 20:44:08

At 10/15/02 08:25 PM, Fizzo wrote: Well..I guess it sorta makes sence..I still wanna see how many Blams IVE actually blammed, though..

Sounds like an idea here. Have two Blam scores.

Response to New voting system is operational! 2002-10-15 20:58:37

I've been here almost 3 years, and I can honestly say I'm liking what I'm seeing. Keep it up Wade.