00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

60d just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

User Management Updates

4,063 Views | 38 Replies
Respond to this Topic

User Management Updates 2002-10-11 08:45:48

Hi guys,

As you are probably aware, there's been a problem for some time with NG with regard to how the site handles user management. I have now completely recoded a number of pages on the site to handle user management through cookies rather than through sessions, which were causing a big performance hit on NG's server. This should reduce general load on the server.

There were a lot of files that contained the session stuff that needed re-working, so it's quite likely that I have missed one or two files. Please do not e-mail Tom about any errors you get, as he will only send on your comments to me. Instead, either leave a reply to this post, or, if you're unable to do that, e-mail Wade.

Please ensure that when you're leaving error reports, you note exactly which page you're getting the errors and which link you're trying to follow. That will enable us to clear up the errors more efficiently.

Sorry for the delay in fixing these problems.

Thanks for your patience - have fun!

James

Response to User Management Updates 2002-10-11 09:15:57

There were a lot of files that contained the session stuff that needed re-working, so it's quite likely that I have missed one or two files.

What? I can't even log in! But if you read this message, I CAN send postings.

Response to User Management Updates 2002-10-11 09:47:11

The sign in button under the vote buttons doesn't work, but the one at the top works fine.

Response to User Management Updates 2002-10-11 09:47:19

At 10/11/02 09:15 AM, Ratnick wrote:
There were a lot of files that contained the session stuff that needed re-working, so it's quite likely that I have missed one or two files.
What? I can't even log in! But if you read this message, I CAN send postings.

Can you be more specific? What happens when you click on the "Sign-In!" link?

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to User Management Updates 2002-10-11 09:57:17

When you click the sign in button below the vote buttons, a message box pops up saying

"A Run-Time Error has occured.
Do you wish to debug?
Line:0
Error: Object expected.
[Yes] [No]"

Response to User Management Updates 2002-10-11 10:08:15

Thanks, I've fixed that.

Response to User Management Updates 2002-10-11 10:45:31

Er...found another one...
After updating my profile it says:

"Success! Click here to view your profile."

So then I clicked there and got yet another message box:

"A runtime error has occured.
Do you wish to debug?

Line: 8
Error: Object Expected"

Response to User Management Updates 2002-10-11 10:57:24

At 10/11/02 10:45 AM, Omnibus wrote: Er...found another one...
After updating my profile it says:

"Success! Click here to view your profile."

So then I clicked there and got yet another message box:

"A runtime error has occured.
Do you wish to debug?

Line: 8
Error: Object Expected"

Thats a javascript error, they're on it I think.

User Management Updates

Response to User Management Updates 2002-10-11 11:09:10

YAY! Its working kinda..
GOODNESS!

Response to User Management Updates 2002-10-11 14:15:18

Yhey for fixing it!

Now the errors - 1. you get a 404 in the Grounds gold menu when you try to "View Fan Network link HTML" or this link... "http://www.newgrounds.com/fan_net/join.php%20TARGET="
2. My movie was meant to be number one but it was 2... then the script fucked it up some more. :) just kidding, im fine about that now... but the 1st error is true.

Response to User Management Updates 2002-10-11 16:08:08

At 10/11/02 08:45 AM, liljim wrote: Hi guys,

As you are probably aware, there's been a problem for some time with NG with regard to how the site handles user management. I have now completely recoded a number of pages on the site to handle user management through cookies rather than through sessions, which were causing a big performance hit on NG's server. This should reduce general load on the server.

There were a lot of files that contained the session stuff that needed re-working, so it's quite likely that I have missed one or two files. Please do not e-mail Tom about any errors you get, as he will only send on your comments to me. Instead, either leave a reply to this post, or, if you're unable to do that, e-mail Wade.

Please ensure that when you're leaving error reports, you note exactly which page you're getting the errors and which link you're trying to follow. That will enable us to clear up the errors more efficiently.

Thanks for your patience - have fun! hey

James fix grounds gold it keeps logging everyone off ever 20 min

James

Response to User Management Updates 2002-10-11 17:46:32

i dont know if this is an error or what, but when i changed my email address for my ng profile, it said i had to reverify (no big deal so far). you dont actually need to reverify, it said already verified.

Response to User Management Updates 2002-10-11 18:49:21

Various pages where I vote then try to record my exp and it says something like "Error- Someone else is trying to blah blah your votes"

Response to User Management Updates 2002-10-11 19:12:47

James

I don't exactly have a problem, but i miss the "log out" button the GG menu. Well, at least the "click here" button will log me out.

Response to User Management Updates 2002-10-11 19:46:28

At 10/11/02 04:08 PM, fire wrote: James fix grounds gold it keeps logging everyone off ever 20 min

That's what his post was about, he did fix the log in problem.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to User Management Updates 2002-10-11 19:59:55

ok, this has nothing to do with the topic, but i'm lazy and i didn't feel like sending out emails to the authors. the following site: "http://www.geocities.com/ryansonshine/index2.html" has several ng clips including 'african detroit cop' on it and lists no credit to the authors for making it. i would want credit if i was an author, which is why i posted this. :D

Response to User Management Updates 2002-10-11 21:58:59

At 10/11/02 07:46 PM, WadeFulp wrote:
At 10/11/02 04:08 PM, fire wrote: James fix grounds gold it keeps logging everyone off ever 20 min
That's what his post was about, he did fix the log in problem.

He was speaking in technical terms then because i didnt see Log ogg every 20 minutes in his post.

Response to User Management Updates 2002-10-11 22:32:43

When I try to sign in, I get this:

Error - invalid password specified for "fourchinnigan".

If you believe you mistyped your information, try again.
If you don't have an account, sign up!

If you need to log out completely, click here.

And unless, I've been hacked, I am not using the wrong password.

Response to User Management Updates 2002-10-11 22:44:51

As you can see, I apparently can log in to post.

Response to User Management Updates 2002-10-11 23:53:11

yeah error here..... the 'auto sign in' thing you guys had going n so i didn't have to type my password and log in every time doesn't work. i hate typing it in and its on every page so i can't say any particuar one...thnx

Response to User Management Updates 2002-10-12 01:10:06

this isnt an error but did you put the aura system back in place? everyone has been getting new aruas today.

you don't know if i'm joking or not

Response to User Management Updates 2002-10-12 02:52:26

A POSITIVE message... For the first time in weeks no problems with the site, everything running normal, no unexpected log outs no error messages, I am happy again!

-Earlyman

User Management Updates

Response to User Management Updates 2002-10-12 03:08:04

At 10/12/02 02:52 AM, Earlyman wrote: A POSITIVE message... For the first time in weeks no problems with the site, everything running normal, no unexpected log outs.

Ditto, kewl timing. Just the "save password" button
is still not a go-go. But that's how i re-member it.
..so no probs!

[Opera6 user]

Response to User Management Updates 2002-10-12 05:16:29

Hi, I have nothing to say in this posting, I only post it TO GET LOGGED IN! The login page from [-quick access to hot content-] Join NG | Sign-In! on the main page doesn't work. It tells me that I misspelled my password all time! Crap. <> Just a sec! I just got a bright moment. I know why that login window doesn't work! It has no CHARACTER LIMIT IN THE PASSWORD FIELD! In the old login window your password could only be about 6 characters long. My password is much longer than that and I just type my whole password, but the password box can only contain the first six! The new login window doesn't have the six character limit so it sends my whole >6 password to the server. The server has my 6 password in rec, so it says wrong password. All people who are experiencing this problem probably have a password longer than 6 characters. So please fix the password box in the main page login window or at least tell me how long my password used to be at max.

I hope this was helpful, Ratnick.

Response to User Management Updates 2002-10-12 07:37:37

If you go to the main portal page and select to 'view all of the 50 most recent movies' and then order them by 'rating' http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/list.php?which=mr&amp;order=vote
The first 46 movies are all dead links.

P.s the new login system is perfect. :-)

Response to User Management Updates 2002-10-12 07:57:28

zipstyke - I fixed those errors you pointed out last night. Try joining up again. :)

fourchinnigan, Ratnick - I have been able to log into both of your accounts sucessfully. The password's box length hasn't been changed from that old of the old system, so that has nothing to do with it. I would recommend that you (and anyone else who're having problems) clear all of the cookies from your machine and try logging in again. If you're still having problems, try sending yourself your password from the lost password retrieval and see if it's the same as what you're putting in.

absolute_vegeta - I've put that option back into the menu. Slight overlook on my part :)

Anthony_john5 - that's not something I've even touched, but I'll get to work on a fix for it soon.

Response to User Management Updates 2002-10-12 11:13:37

I think the "you've already voted on this today" message has something to do with IPs...I've noticed, and this only happens sometimes, if I deposit at my girlfriend's and the next day I deposit at home, and try to vote on the same movies, it gives me that error. Just vote on some different movies today.

UNITE THE CLANS | space cheese | RG podcasts | also cocks

BBS Signature

Response to User Management Updates 2002-10-12 14:56:33

im sory pleez 4give me i didnt wnt to have sex with the pig buuut......my pen....i dropped it in its ass an i jus thought........................

Response to User Management Updates 2002-10-12 15:18:28

James

I am unable to sign into my account. Stupid cookies. 8^(

User Management Updates

Response to User Management Updates 2002-10-12 16:11:38

sounds good.