00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Gustavo-Y-YA just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

ASK TOM

6,544 Views | 61 Replies
Respond to this Topic

ASK TOM 2002-10-02 13:34:30

In today's edition of "ASK TOM", we deal with the morally perplexing issue of voting for points. Let me share with you a heartfelt email from one of our users:

"Hi, you 're Tom Fulp from newgrounds?, right?
I've got a small problem;

I remember when i discovered newgrounds 6 months ago, i sat and vote just to get better status, then suddently, i Votes "0" on a movie i hadn't seen, just to get the statuspoints, then, there was a flash movie wich said; "BANG, you have killed this movie"... Later, when i saw the movie, (i voted while it was loading), I really liked the movie, it was like someone had filmed himself while he was falling down some stairs and really had put down very much time working with the movie...

Am I a bad person?, i fell so sad for what i 've done..

/Ron"

TOM'S RESPONSE:

No, Ron, you aren't a bad person. However, it was irresponsible of you to vote haphazardly on movies simply to gain points and status in the Newgrounds community.

It is your civic duty to view and evaluate each submission you intend to vote on. How would you like it if a police officer pulled you over and gave you a ticket, simply to fill his quota? He didn't care whether you were speeding or not, he just wanted to give out his tickets for the day.

That would not be very nice, which is why police officers must adhere to a strict code of honor and only punish those who drive too fast.

Using the noble police officer as a role-model, you must vote on movies based on their merits, not your personal agenda.

The movie you voted on was most likely a bad movie; otherwise it would not have been so close to the "BLAM" threshold. Unfortunately, we will never know because it has been cast away from the site for all eternity.

What makes me more concerned is the movies you did not manage to delete - the ones who's scores now bear the permanent scar of your reckless voting. Their blood is on your hands, Ron.

But you can redeem yourself. From now on, use your best judgment when voting on movies. Not for the sake of gaining points, but for the sake of making Newgrounds a better place for society as a whole.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-02 13:37:50

At 10/2/02 01:34 PM, TomFulp wrote: In today's edition of "ASK TOM", we deal with the morally perplexing issue of voting for points. Let me share with you a heartfelt email from one of our users:

I remember when i discovered newgrounds 6 months ago, i sat and vote just to get better status, then suddently, i Votes "0" on a movie i hadn't seen, just to get the statuspoints, then, there was a flash movie wich said; "BANG, you have killed this movie"... Later, when i saw the movie, (i voted while it was loading), I really liked the movie, it was like someone had filmed himself while he was falling down some stairs and really had put down very much time working with the movie...

/Ron"

TOM'S RESPONSE:

No, Ron, you aren't a bad person. However, it was irresponsible of you to vote haphazardly on movies simply to gain points and status in the Newgrounds community.

It is your civic duty to view and evaluate each submission you intend to vote on. How would you like it if a police officer pulled you over and gave you a ticket, simply to fill his quota? He didn't care whether you were speeding or not, he just wanted to give out his tickets for the day.

That would not be very nice, which is why police officers must adhere to a strict code of honor and only punish those who drive too fast.

Using the noble police officer as a role-model, you must vote on movies based on their merits, not your personal agenda.

The movie you voted on was most likely a bad movie; otherwise it would not have been so close to the "BLAM" threshold. Unfortunately, we will never know because it has been cast away from the site for all eternity.

What makes me more concerned is the movies you did not manage to delete - the ones who's scores now bear the permanent scar of your reckless voting. Their blood is on your hands, Ron.

But you can redeem yourself. From now on, use your best judgment when voting on movies. Not for the sake of gaining points, but for the sake of making Newgrounds a better place for society as a whole.

first

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-02 13:42:38

:Their blood is on your hands, Ron.

Tut tut...

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-02 13:45:35

lol thats just hilarious

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-02 13:50:30

At 10/2/02 01:45 PM, Bob_The_Martian wrote: lol thats just hilarious

thats some post! 'Got a Problem... Just send it to Tom. Helper of all humans around the globe.'

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-02 14:08:56

At 10/2/02 01:34 PM, TomFulp wrote: In today's edition of "ASK TOM", we deal with the morally perplexing issue of voting for points. Let me share with you a heartfelt email from one of our users:

/Ron"

TOM'S RESPONSE:

ron just seems gay!
lol

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-02 14:17:41

At 10/2/02 01:34 PM, TomFulp wrote: Using the noble police officer as a role-model, you must vote on movies based on their merits, not your personal agenda.

Yes. We must all follow the example of noble police officers.

ASK TOM

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-02 14:18:52

This has been brought to you by one of those shitty NBC commercials, The more you know.

*cues music*

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-02 15:11:17

Nice of you to help all those misguided individuals...I know this is irreleveant but so are most posts, was your essay on iranian cinema (a few posts ago) on Abbas Kiarostami?

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-02 15:12:29

"Am I a bad person?"

Yes you are ron

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-02 15:13:22

On opposite day are we supposed to vote low on good movies? Or would that be the opposite of opposite day?

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-02 15:26:21

Yeah I hate it when people vote without actually watching the movie first.

Newgrounds is a website for 13 year olds who cannot understand the difference between "there", "their" and "they´re".

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-02 15:27:23

Dear Uncle Tom,

It burns when I teetee and I have odd bumps along my perineum stretching all the way down the shaft to my glans. I am so scared. What should I do?

Yours Truly,
Testicle Torches

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-02 15:34:40

At 10/2/02 03:27 PM, fourchinnigan wrote: Dear Uncle Tom,

It burns when I teetee and I have odd bumps along my perineum stretching all the way down the shaft to my glans. I am so scared. What should I do?

Yours Truly,
Testicle Torches
I hate people who always vote 0 on clock movies

because some are awsome movies

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-02 16:27:02

QUICK! SOMEONE INFORM THE BLAM CLUB OF THIS NEWS TOPIC!

Heh... but seriously folks.. better to let 10 shit movies stay on the portal than blam 1 good movie.

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-02 16:28:39

:( i blammed something but i wasnt logged in :(
btw, good call tom, i saw once something like Views 1 Votes 4

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-02 16:32:30

Hmm... I have got something to say about that! I was 1 vote from being able to deposit my points and fill my quota as i look to find a new movie... I find a game that i play for 10 minuttes and then vote high as the game was quite good... And BAM! All my points are gone!! GRR!!

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-02 16:34:44

People are stupid.
Slab Buttthrust, Brick Hardmeat!

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-02 16:43:47

hahahaha, that is some funny shit there

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-02 18:15:29

Ron what are you 6? My 8 yr old has more sense then you. I suppose you agree to likeing things you really don't like as well in groups where you really want to be with the "in-crowd"? Get a life kid....Is there no age limit on this site?

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-02 19:19:57

yo tom i have a little problem.i keep on signing in and pressed remember my info but everytime i go back to newgrounds why do i get to sign on again? is there a problem wit my computer or ur site?

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-02 19:27:40

You guys are right this is the perfect example of what happens to clock movies. Believe it or not there are some really good clock movies and not all of them suck. Please watch the movies before voting 0

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-02 19:34:09

Hello Tom I am also known as the gun star hero you put my name in the pico2 section cause i gave pico 2 game play test cause i thought it suxed an gave it a bad review. !!!!TOM IMPORTANT PLEASE READ OR I WILL BLOW MY FUCKING BRAINS OUT!!!! WHEN is the miss dynmight game coming out i have asked this question hundreds of thousesns of times are you still gona make it?

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-02 19:38:05

gay

BBS Signature

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-02 19:39:29

People actually do that?

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-02 20:07:33

Vote 0 on all movies good or bad we should all do this we must destroy the good and the bad entries to clear the sites bandwith so only wade, tom, and buddy sites can make games and we cant vote. The old newgrounds which i didn't see was just Tom and the ability to vote was gone.

Tom, I'm naked in the desert with a bunch of rabid animals with only a condom and a rubberband. What should I do? Should I take the rubberband and cut off all the male animals balls or fill the condom up with cum and fly to new york on my flying donkey (ass) and throw the condom of the top of a really really tall building? tell me i dont know what to do.

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-02 20:12:24

plumbs20 vote 5 on all your movies to become light.You can only become light when you are a 1. vote 5 on all your movies and become light then vote normal after you are a 2. I'd vote 5 if I bacame light i tried when i was 3 but no i stayed nuetral so i will blam all movies. I'll click on the view movie thing so obody would expect it.

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-02 21:06:00

At 10/2/02 03:27 PM, fourchinnigan wrote: Dear Uncle Tom,

Yours Truly,
Testicle Torches

hahahahhaha

ASK TOM

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-03 00:37:15

good god just think if everybody on newgrounds asked themselves that question if they blammed something. shit i might as well print it on the computer how many times i did i'd probably die of thirst talking about am i bad person everytime i blammed something. how sad

Response to ASK TOM 2002-10-03 00:48:58

Well, being with the BC, we're usually a pretty fair bunch. I tend to target stale links and things like author requests, open acknowledgements of crap, stolen flash, resubmits, etc.

Occasionally, someone tries to put a good movie on the target list. The BC almost always watches before it blams. And we know the thresholds quite well.

life has to happen sometimes, it just happing to me all over the place